Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm just upset that Aerith said goodbye at the end. I would be much more excited about part 3 if I knew I was in for invisible Aerith (that only Cloud can see) was giving a running commentary on the plot going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
One thing I'd like an answer to, that I think falls under mystery more than confusion, but I have no basis to really figure out, is what's the deal with Sepiroth's speech about the timelines converging into one. He made it sound like an inevitable thing, not something he was specifically trying to bring about, and that the whole battle at the end was over what timeline would be the cannon one. But it's clear at the end there are at least two similar but distinct timelines with the only difference being whether Aerith is alive or not, and Cloud is existing in both timelines simultaneously. And then there's whatever's going on with Zack, so clearly the timelines didn't collapse at all.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Really interested to see how they go about having Cloud spend 1/3 of the last game pretty much comatose.

Betting he'll spend that time hanging out with Aerith.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
But when are we gonna go to Rocket Town?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The next game needs to start in media res with snowboarding

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Wondering about the implications of the mako running dry in the Biggs reactor timeline. Is that just a timeline where the mako ran out, or is the mako dry in every apocalypse sky timeline? Is this because these alternate timelines exist within the lifestream somehow (see that brief connection in the Gi boat)?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Hojo put a human and a dog in the same cage to see if they would gently caress. It's clear his entire skill set is mashing two weird things together and calling whatever the result is a success.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

NikkolasKing posted:

He did make Vincent which I don't think had anything to do with Jenova. He just turned some random guy he shot into an immortal monster.

Dunno if that shows he's a great scientist but he has some ability.

He also made Vincent what he is by seducing his girlfriend crush, so Hojo evidently has some skills in other areas as well.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Augus posted:

the Aerith at the end of the game is the same Aerith that died and Cloud is seeing her spirit. The sad “goodbye” at the end doesn’t make much sense otherwise.

If that were just her ghost from the same timeline then everyone else in the party should be able to see her too; nothing about Cloud gives him extra-special ghost affinity, but he did cross through timelines. The Goodbye could just be because she's stuck in a doomed timeline with the apocalypse sky, and hanging around the crew while only Cloud can see her is probably not good for either of their sanity.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

RevolverDivider posted:

What can anyone actually do about Cloud being bugfuck nuts except try to reason with him?

At the very least they could ask him about what's going on inside his head to figure out his triggers and try to avoid them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I look forward to the most stabilizing influence on Cloud being trans-dimensional conversations with Aerith that the rest of the party can only hear one side of.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well just wait for everything else in his life to get way, way worse

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but why would Corneo be able to set up operations in Wutai while a war is going on? Unless they want to make Wutai and the SRC more shady by having them work with Corneo.

Corneo could just be doing good old fashioned black-market war profiteering. Not like Wutai could spare any resources to stop him, they'll be too busy with the war.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
One thing that is clear to me after seeing most of the dates is that, while Cloud may be starting to develop feelings for Aerith, that boy has been down bad for Tifa since he was 8.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm fairly confident that the Aerith in the final scene is at least as alive as Zack. Not that that's saying much.

Honestly I think it works better if Cloud really seeing something real, but even if he could explain with perfect lucidity what it is he's seeing he'd still sound completely bugfuck to the rest of the party. It's a nice mirror to the Nibelheim flashback: Tifa thinks Cloud is nuts because the story he tells did happen but Cloud was no there and shouldn't know about it, but Tifa is also wrong because Cloud was there and knows the story from his personal memory, he just has a few crucial details way off. Cloud knows/sees more than the others think he should, and that knowledge just makes him seem even crazier than he already is.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Harrow posted:

It's so goofy to me that we went from "One-Winged Angel" just being the title of a final boss track to Sephiroth literally having a single wing starting in Kingdom Hearts, to that just being a thing that happens to SOLDIER prototypes sometimes.

Safer Sephiroth always had a single black wing, even in OG.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Coming to the spoiler thread for a more serious discussion of the implications on the new Gi lore on the overall plot. To wit: is Sephiroth Like This because being part Jenova renders him unable to fully enter the lifestream, or does Jenova becoming part Sephiroth allow her access to the lifestream where she can cause all kinds of trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cavelcade posted:

You defeat Jenova Life Clinger, and then Sephiroth in his Birth of a God form. Super! Then you and Aerith (not sure if that's the ur-Aerith from the dreams but I think so) fight and defeat him. And he seems genuinely put out by that for a moment, then he laughs and flies off.

So I think the goal of Whisper Sephiroth is not to force the game to follow OG path, but to follow a path where Sephiroth actually wins. To do this he needed to open the possibility for the story to change, which he did with Cloud et. al. at the end of Remake. But that made there be possible universes where he loses even more, so the final battle is him trying to cut off the possible worlds to those where Aertih dies and everything is as bad or worse than OG for Cloud. Cloud and Ur-Aerith prevent him from doing that in that final battle, so he is miffed that he hasn't secured a total victory yet; there are still possible worlds where Aerith is alive. And then he laughs because he still has the chance to kill everyone at the Northern Crater and Cloud is going to be more mentally unstable than ever for that.