Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Welcome to the 29th season of Major League Soccer

Tomorrow is opening kick for the league, and what better way to acknowledge the accomplishments of last year's Shield winner FC Cincinnati or Cup winner Columbus Crew by having...neither of those teams play, but instead having Inter Messi Miami face off against some other team that no one cares about because they don't have Messi (aka Real Salt Lake)? "Literally anything else" you say? Wow, entitled much?

Anywho, that kick off will mark the beginning of a whole slew of changes to the league, such as...what's that voice in my imaginary ear piece? There aren't any major changes? No new teams? Same regular season and playoff format? We are talking about Major League Soccer, right? *shrug* Hmm, ok then.

Joking aside, there are a few minor rules changes are coming:

As before, 34 regular season games with an incredibly imbalanced schedule that ends on Decision Day October 19 with a pause for Leagues Cup going from the end of July to the end of August (but no break for Copa América because that doesn't directly bring money to MLS), a playoff format that's easier to get into than <redacted so as not to get probated>, all culminating in MLS Cup on December 7. All games will stream on AppleTV+'s MLS Season Pass (English and Spanish commentary, with Canadian games also having French commentary; optionally, the home team's radio feed may be selected if available), with the majority of them taking place on Saturday at 7:30PM local time (goddamn I wish they'd have put in some wiggle room on the start time this year) and midweek games on Wednesday at 7:30PM local, with a whiparound show MLS 360 (new this year: a Spanish version that I will definitely not watch because I don't need any more reminders of how incredibly rusty my high school Spanish is). Games that don't take place at 7:30PM local are probably ones that FOX Sports 1/FOX will be nationally broadcasting in the US.

Quick recap of last year:
  • Supporter's Shield - FC Cincinnati (69 points [nice], 6 points clear)
  • MLS Cup - Columbus Crew 2-1 over LAFC (a scoreline which flattered LAFC tbh)
  • US Open Cup - Houston Dynamo 2-0 over Inter Miami
  • Leagues Cup - Inter Miami 1-1 (10-9) over Nashville SC (decided by the keepers taking kicks :bisonyes:)
  • Canadian Championship - Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 over CF Montréal
  • CONCACAF Champions Cup representatives - FC Cincinnati (Shield), Columbus Crew (MLS Cup), Houston Dynamo (US Open Cup), Vancouver Whitecaps (Canadian Championship), Inter Miami (Leagues Cup winner), Nashville SC (Leagues Cup runner up), Philadelphia Union (Leagues Cup 3rd place), St. Louis City (Western Conference winner), Orlando City (at large spot for best MLS record), New England Revolution (at large spot for 2nd highest MLS record)

And now for the obligatory video the cap off this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV0UGXYwQh0

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Today I learned that the Herons now play at Chase Stadium, as the naming rights changed yesterday.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Edward Mass posted:

Today I learned that the Herons now play at Chase Stadium, as the naming rights changed yesterday.

tbf you are more on the ball than whoever runs PRO's Twitter account

granted they are probably a bit busy warming up to be a replacement AR this weekend

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

whypick1 posted:

Joking aside, there are a few minor rules changes are coming:
[list][*]Substituted players have to leave the field within 10 seconds, otherwise the incoming player will have to wait at least 1 minute to enter.
[*]Players who go down injured for more than 15 seconds will be moved off the field for treatment and have to remain off the pitch for at least 2 minutes (with some exceptions like cards)
[*]Refs will now have to announce their VAR decision and reasoning for everyone to hear...
[*]...but those refs will be scabs to start the year because the PSRA rejected the hell out of PRO's CBA proposal, so that will be fun.

These scab refs trying to enforce 1 and 2 in that list is gonna be hilarious.

Pretty salty that the first MLS game back isn't the rightful Crew but a Messi game tonight...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

insider posted:

Pretty salty that the first MLS game back isn't the rightful Crew but a Messi game tonight...

Apple knows who butters their bread, and that knife’s name is Lionel.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm 99% certain that if Messi wasn't in this game Apple would have this kickoff match be free for everyone.

Speaking of Season Pass: T-Mobile offered free codes to their customers again so hit up eBay if you're a cheapskate/hate the thought of giving Apple money like me (e: Apparently T-Mobile, but I still found people selling codes on eBay).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 22, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

insider posted:

The league agrees with you, so those three new rules are postponed until further notice.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

apparently tmobile isnt offering mls pass this year actually. ah well.

fwiw, it appears my subscription from last season doesnt expire until Saturday. Not sure if thats uniform or based on signup date.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

apparently tmobile isnt offering mls pass this year actually. ah well.

fwiw, it appears my subscription from last season doesnt expire until Saturday. Not sure if thats uniform or based on signup date.

Weird, I saw some posts from people saying they asked T-Mobile reps and they said yes and I bought a code on eBay, so I figured that was true.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Weird, I saw some posts from people saying they asked T-Mobile reps and they said yes and I bought a code on eBay, so I figured that was true.

yeah, seemed some confusion but tmobile said today they aren't.

its only like 80 bucks (if you have apple+) so whatever i don't mind paying

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
The Galaxy landed Paintsil: Officially official.

I gotta say, it's weird to see the Galaxy call and then actually land their two top choices (or, at least, these were the ones everybody seemed to know about). I know the days of agents musing that maybe their guy wants to go live the high life in LA are long gone (it must be Miami these days, I guess) but, these are the ones that everybody seemed to know about and report on. So... maybe we didn't miss out on anybody big? That's an enormous step in the right direction. Oh, and they're both young and are supposed to actually be good.

The Galaxy obviously have a long, LONG way to go before they're ready to contend for anything and the first few weeks are probably going to be a poo poo show but, it's nice to feel hope again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

PSRA's open letter to Don Garber, pretty much telling him he/MLS are being greedy cheapskate assholes

Matt Miazga got his suspension reduced by a game :wtc:

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Is there a place that is good to read a season primer for Austin FC? I follow some people on Twitter but haven't seen a real offseason retrospective or anything that is mostly objective. Maybe I'm not searching in the right place.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

humpthewind posted:

Is there a place that is good to read a season primer for Austin FC? I follow some people on Twitter but haven't seen a real offseason retrospective or anything that is mostly objective. Maybe I'm not searching in the right place.

I know there might be some hesitation to go right to the league's page, but they do at least put out some semblance of content whereas to your point it can be hard to find anything of note elsewhere. It's not lengthy by any means but its at least something.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/austin-fc-2024-season-preview

You'll have to Ctrl+F on this second one:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ranking-all-29-mls-teams-by-tier-for-2024

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

I know there might be some hesitation to go right to the league's page, but they do at least put out some semblance of content whereas to your point it can be hard to find anything of note elsewhere. It's not lengthy by any means but its at least something.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/austin-fc-2024-season-preview

You'll have to Ctrl+F on this second one:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ranking-all-29-mls-teams-by-tier-for-2024

Thanks for this. Is this an Austin thing or do all teams have a lack of official beat reporter type guy that keeps up with the team?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sports reporting in general has been getting decimated the past few years, and soccer is pretty low on the pecking order in this country, so they were particularly hard hit. As such, coverage has very much fragmented. Thankfully Sounder at Heart keeps a list of resources for all of the teams. For Austin:

Verde All Day (Substack)
Capital City Soccer (website)
r/AustinFC (Reddit)
Moontower Soccer (podcast)
Austin American-Statesman (newspaper) $

But to answer your initial question, the tl;dr consensus for Austin seems to be "pray everything goes right and for a meteor to hit one of the better teams". Although maybe you get a repeat of 2022 out all that nay-saying :shrug:

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Thanks!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've read/listened to a lot of previews, and it sounds like the Western Conference is ripe for chaos. As such, I believe Austin could sneak into the playoffs with a few breaks and a good summer transfer window.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The whole first few months will probably be a mess anyway with the scab refs. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Toronto, who last year had what was probably the worst season in MLS history, started off 5-0 because of terrible refs.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
learning about football DJ’s this morning

https://twitter.com/mlsist/status/1761952255266127884?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

https://twitter.com/grevstv/status/1761972350780572142?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Portland Timbers sponsor DaBella CEO accused of sexual harassment, unwanted advances, former executive says

quote:

A much-needed bright spot for the Portland Timbers’ corporate leadership appeared late last year in the form of a major new sponsorship deal, following more than two years of public criticism and investigations into the organization’s handling of alleged sexual harassment, coercion, domestic violence and workplace misconduct.

However, public records obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive show the chief executive of the team’s new kit sponsor — DaBella Exteriors, a Hillsboro home improvement contractor — is facing a lawsuit that threatens to bring to light complaints that he made unwanted advances and sexually harassed at least three female employees.

After The Oregonian/OregonLive broke the news Wednesday, the Timbers announced at 2 p.m. that they have terminated their corporate partnership with DaBella, effective immediately. The Timbers learned of the allegations Tuesday when The Oregonian/OregonLive was reporting out the story and contacted the team for comment.

“The Timbers and a third-party firm conducted a thorough pre-deal vetting process, and the club did not learn of the filing until Feb. 27,” a release from the club reads. “This decision was rooted in the responsibility we have to our fans, supporters, partners and employees to transparently reflect and uphold the values and expectations of our community.”

THEY GOT THROUGH ONE (1) GAME WITH THIS LOCAL CONTRACTOR AS SHIRT SPONSOR

Jesus loving Christ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:wtc:/:laffo:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Oh, and the league is trying their damnedest to torpedo the US Open Cup because they don't want to participate in it due to "schedule congestion" (*stares incredibly hard at the Leagues Cup*), but it looks like they will kinda sorta still participate it in this year

Update: they're kinda sorta going to participate. tl;dr - Top 7 teams from last season not in CCC + Houston (as defending champs) will enter in the round of 32; the other teams not in CCC will send their MLS Next Pro teams in the first round; the CCC teams, Canadian teams and DC United (not having an MLS Next Pro affiliate) will have no representation in this tourney.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

pretty soft path to a concacaf champions slot now!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
What a weird set of teams.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So we're just going to pretend that Miami is even kind of sort of abiding by roster construction rules huh?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Correct, thats the plan

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Ceterum autem censeo MLS esse delendam

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nothing to see here folks, everything's normal

https://twitter.com/MLSRefStats/status/1763949948968570926

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Surprising almost no one, it'll be MLS All-Stars vs. LigaMX once again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Good! I liked the format when they did it that way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have to say I really enjoyed the sample size of one of watching Robinson and Miazga and Murphy in the back line. Here's hoping we get at least another four or five games in a row before Miazga gets himself suspended again.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

mls vs liga mx seems like the optimal all star game format for the time being. its fun, has a built in narrative and incentives to sort of care and gets away from the inherent weirdness that is an actual club playing against all stars

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are other fans with teams in the current tournament kind of hoping their team gets bounced out early? I'm extremely skeptical of Cincinnati winning the entire thing and I'd rather not play an extra six or eight games over and above everybody else.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Eifert Posting posted:

Are other fans with teams in the current tournament kind of hoping their team gets bounced out early? I'm extremely skeptical of Cincinnati winning the entire thing and I'd rather not play an extra six or eight games over and above everybody else.

If you're referring to the Concacaf Champions Cup, I'll give you the best anecdote I can think of. In 2022, the Sounders won the Champions League, becoming the first MLS club to win the tournament in 20 years. Also in 2022, the Sounders missed the MLS Cup Playoffs for the only time in their history.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i'd rather win the concacaf champions cup than mls cup so no. also winning concacaf cup this year gets you an invite to the u.s. based expanded 2025 club world cup, which i know a lot of people are going to hate on but i think its gonna be fun as hell

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

i'd rather win the concacaf champions cup than mls cup so no. also winning concacaf cup this year gets you an invite to the u.s. based expanded 2025 club world cup, which i know a lot of people are going to hate on but i think its gonna be fun as hell

Yeah, I get the impact a deep CCC run has on your chances in the league and the slim chances of winning it, but especially this year it's really cool if you do win and that "but, hear me out, what if we did the thing?" hope of winning even the most ridiculous mismatch is half the fun of being a fan, right?

Tigres was always a big ask so I'm not, like, angry at my guys for not beating them but no, I'm not happy to have been knocked out early even if we get to Focus On The League

mostly I'm just in my corner raging at the draw

G-Hawk posted:

mls vs liga mx seems like the optimal all star game format for the time being. its fun, has a built in narrative and incentives to sort of care and gets away from the inherent weirdness that is an actual club playing against all stars

If you're going to have an ASG at all the key is to make it fun, nobody will ever care about it as much as an actual game, nor should they, so lean into anything that makes it Just A Fun Exhibition and away from anything that takes away from that. Skills comps are great too, gimme more of that poo poo.

Nobody cares enough about other teams for East V West to work yet and arguably even if they did MLS v MX would be a better format, even if the whole duet between them is kind of overexposed with all three (well, two and a half) regional cups.

that's kinda difficult to avoid since they're the only other teams close to MLS level (in either direction) within several thousand miles though

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cash Grab Cup schedule is out

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Such a stupid schedule, but I guess Friday night games are a thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Leagues Cup owns