Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Edward Mass posted:

Today I learned that the Herons now play at Chase Stadium, as the naming rights changed yesterday.

I learned last week that RSL went from RioT into Stadium to America First, and now I wish for nothing more than their painful demise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Moktaro posted:

I learned last week that RSL went from RioT into Stadium to America First, and now I wish for nothing more than their painful demise.

America First Credit Union is based out of Utah, so I'll give it some slack.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
So I’ve been trying to care about MLS this year, was trying to check highlights on Apple TV but there’s no option for last week, just “upcoming Saturday night”. Anyone able to help an idiot find a recap of the previous weekend’s matches?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

franks posted:

So I’ve been trying to care about MLS this year, was trying to check highlights on Apple TV but there’s no option for last week, just “upcoming Saturday night”. Anyone able to help an idiot find a recap of the previous weekend’s matches?

You need to go to each individual team’s page to see their last game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The MLS YouTube channel has highlights of every game by the next day, and there's the same night review show MLS Wrap Up on Apple TV (don't know if that needs Season Pass to access?). Otherwise yeah, the front page is not great at surfacing recent highlights.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Apple's UI is loving garbage (like it is with all of their products, fight me), so I don't blame you for not being to find this stuff easily, but it does appear they don't have archived versions of 360 or Wrap Up shows. The former I can understand, the latter seems like something rather obvious to do (like hiding the scores of games by default...something that took them multiple weeks to figure out because they're loving garbage at UIs).

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Yeah the wrap up was what I was trying to watch but I guess it’s only available immediately after, only option now is this coming Saturday night.

Nice job Apple :thumbsup:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The weird thing is that the previous episode turns up in search but not in the front page carousels?

Also I just learned that I can scroll to the left on the "live schedule" carousel (at least on mobile web) and it'll bring up last week's games then I can tap to access highlights etc.

man I get why the league went with Apple and the no blackouts thing is ace but they have a lot to learn about how people watch sports

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The weird thing is that the previous episode turns up in search but not in the front page carousels?

Thanks for that, a search for “wrap up” turned up something from last season but the fourth option was a recap from last weekend. Take that, Apple and MLS, I’ll watch those highlights even if you don’t want me to!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wanting to grow a league and choosing to do it by signing on to a bespoke, expensive season ticket for effectively every team seems like not the best decision.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If you're going to sign in with a streamer at all Apple was the best choice (or maybe Amazon), because unlike your Fubos and the like (the other Canadians in the thread may think of OneSoccer here) they actually have a global platform and existing customer base that they can leverage to increase your profile. Also they actually have a lot of money, I won't pretend that wasn't relevant.

The question was, do you want to sign with a streamer or stick with traditional broadcasters? ESPN and Fox were in a lot of homes obviously but aside from that they were horrible partners in so many different ways that I'm not surprised the suits went in a different direction, even before you factor in the wildly inconsistent local broadcast situations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Ratings were also anemic for literal decades, especially on fox sports, its not like there's evidence people were stumbling into MLS games on accident channel surfing, to the extent anyone does that anymore. If you actually want to deliberately watch it, the product is so much better now.

My beef continues to be stacking the matches heavily on Saturday nights - if you go to a game, or if you just go out on a Saturday because you do anything but watch mls at home, you've effectively missed the match week for most of the league. Pretty much every other major league and sport is moving the opposite direction of spreading games to more games and times.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

My beef continues to be stacking the matches heavily on Saturday nights - if you go to a game, or if you just go out on a Saturday because you do anything but watch mls at home, you've effectively missed the match week for most of the league. Pretty much every other major league and sport is moving the opposite direction of spreading games to more games and times.

In principle having a set time is good, but yeah, they need to copy the old NFL way and have two main windows (early / late) and a single standalone prime time game, make that Saturday night or even Friday night possibly over summer. But more than the “7 pm local” setup now. That doesn’t seem to work well.

I’m still sour on the Timbers but YouTube highlights, hmm. Better than paying up again to Apple.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Philly going to be missing 6 starters because of international "break"

Thx MLS

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wish the Sounders were missing a bunch of players because of international duty instead of them all being injured

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don't know poo poo about soccer but I saw about the scab refs today, would someone mind dropping by the union thread and updating non-soccer labor nerds what's going on?? I'm reading some stuff but I'm not qualified to be the guy to post about it there. Thank u

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I was handling officiating for any major league I would just have them do the polygraph test from bladerunner asking them if they consider themselves "the third team" over and over again.

Anyone caught thinking that people come to see them just immediately yeeted out of the building.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Athletic is reporting that the refs have approved a new deal with "significant" base and per-match pay raises but without all of the extra travel perks originally asked for.

edit: and it's official, the refs will be back this weekend

How long of a honeymoon period are we expecting before everyone remembers they hate these guys too?

in unrelated news, Vanni got his suspension reduced and may be back on the touchline this weekend

for a home derby against Portland

oh dear

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 26, 2024

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

How long of a honeymoon period are we expecting before everyone remembers they hate these guys too?

Hopefully none.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i'm just going to say it; tfc did real well under the scrubs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Found their level

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

Matt Miazga played every replacement ref game without receiving a card. Expecting him to somehow get two red cards in one game this weekend.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Kei Kamara continued his quest to play for every MLS team, signing with LAFC for #11.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Now there's the Mihailovic we've been waiting to see.

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
Galaxy look so dangerous up top this season.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I lurk in the MLS threads mostly, but did want to pop in and say that Will Kuntz, who Galaxy poached away from LAFC after FINALLY sacking the idiot fail son club President that was Chris Klein, in his new role as GM has already improved the organization and the team on the field dramatically.

We haven’t looked this dangerous in years. I think we are very much still in a rebuilding phase and have a few more bad contracts from the Klein Kirovski era to offload, but this is a great foundation to build upon. Especially if Puig can be talked into an extension.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know the answer is :10bux:, but why would SKC move their match against Inter Miami to Arrowhead? You're just going to have 55,000 pink jerseys in the stands.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like the league is going to allow teams to open up their coffers a bit more starting this upcoming transfer window. Greater flexibility with DP/U-22 spots, a 2nd roster buyout, higher cap on transfer/loan fees that can be converted to GAM (and the limit is now per year instead of per transfer).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Good…I guess.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Not a retirement league but the money and profile only goes up when a player retires to it.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the u22 and gam changes are good, theyre incremental changes but its also midseason so not like they're going to do anything too dramatic. The u22 portion is effectively going to expand the mls effort to buy up young south american talent which sounds good to me. If (and its a big if) teams actually use all these slots it would inject a pretty good amount more young talent into the league

maybe it suggests bigger changes during the offseason, maybe not.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Shrapnig posted:

Not a retirement league but the money and profile only goes up when a player retires to it.

Someone's still butthurt that Messi came to MLS lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

rain dogs posted:

Someone's still butthurt that Messi came to MLS lol

Couldn't care less actually. It's not about Messi it's about Dumbass Don and his pyramid scheme.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, AAC.

e: New York City's stadium got approved, so that's one less joke come 2027.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 11, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://twitter.com/JTansey90/status/1779617579377500529

get em Jimbo

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

...there are a few minor rules changes are coming:
  • Substituted players have to leave the field within 10 seconds, otherwise the incoming player will have to wait at least 1 minute to enter.
  • Players who go down injured for more than 15 seconds will be moved off the field for treatment and have to remain off the pitch for at least 2 minutes (with some exceptions like cards)
  • Refs will now have to announce their VAR decision and reasoning for everyone to hear...
  • ...but those refs will be scabs to start the year because the PSRA rejected the hell out of PRO's CBA proposal, so that will be fun. (edit: all of this stuff has been postponed because of said scabs)

Update: Back on

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

And the 15 second rule happened in a FCC game punishing Robinson for a clearly legitimate injury. Also this:

https://twitter.com/KnifeyLionRadio/status/1782161278636892399

I like watching soccer for sure but I'm not sure I like it more than I hate watching soccer officiating.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
The City of Indianapolis announced plans to make a bid for an MLS expansion team. Is MLS looking to expand past 30 teams? Any other places rumored to be in the mix?

Also, would it be the Indy 11 (USL) moving up, or would it be completely new ownership/entity? It's just interesting because the Indy 11 are in the process of building a 20,000 seat stadium but it seems that the city doesn't consider them as partners in the expansion bid.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/2024/04/25/indianapolis-plans-to-bid-for-mls-expansion-team/73458916007/

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
I don’t think they “promote” teams any more, the league can get more money from billionaires to start a brand new club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

32 seems to be a foregone conclusion and 36 isn't out of the question.

I very much doubt we'll see any more "promotions" considering MLS and USL aren't exactly best friends (see: Open Cup clusterfuck) and the past couple teams were in markets that already had USL teams but were new franchises (that subsequently killed off the existing team, :rip: San Diego and St. Louis).