Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Edward Mass posted:

Today I learned that the Herons now play at Chase Stadium, as the naming rights changed yesterday.

tbf you are more on the ball than whoever runs PRO's Twitter account

granted they are probably a bit busy warming up to be a replacement AR this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

insider posted:

These scab refs trying to enforce 1 and 2 in that list is gonna be hilarious.

The league agrees with you, so those three new rules are postponed until further notice.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

i'd rather win the concacaf champions cup than mls cup so no. also winning concacaf cup this year gets you an invite to the u.s. based expanded 2025 club world cup, which i know a lot of people are going to hate on but i think its gonna be fun as hell

Yeah, I get the impact a deep CCC run has on your chances in the league and the slim chances of winning it, but especially this year it's really cool if you do win and that "but, hear me out, what if we did the thing?" hope of winning even the most ridiculous mismatch is half the fun of being a fan, right?

Tigres was always a big ask so I'm not, like, angry at my guys for not beating them but no, I'm not happy to have been knocked out early even if we get to Focus On The League

mostly I'm just in my corner raging at the draw

G-Hawk posted:

mls vs liga mx seems like the optimal all star game format for the time being. its fun, has a built in narrative and incentives to sort of care and gets away from the inherent weirdness that is an actual club playing against all stars

If you're going to have an ASG at all the key is to make it fun, nobody will ever care about it as much as an actual game, nor should they, so lean into anything that makes it Just A Fun Exhibition and away from anything that takes away from that. Skills comps are great too, gimme more of that poo poo.

Nobody cares enough about other teams for East V West to work yet and arguably even if they did MLS v MX would be a better format, even if the whole duet between them is kind of overexposed with all three (well, two and a half) regional cups.

that's kinda difficult to avoid since they're the only other teams close to MLS level (in either direction) within several thousand miles though

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The MLS YouTube channel has highlights of every game by the next day, and there's the same night review show MLS Wrap Up on Apple TV (don't know if that needs Season Pass to access?). Otherwise yeah, the front page is not great at surfacing recent highlights.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The weird thing is that the previous episode turns up in search but not in the front page carousels?

Also I just learned that I can scroll to the left on the "live schedule" carousel (at least on mobile web) and it'll bring up last week's games then I can tap to access highlights etc.

man I get why the league went with Apple and the no blackouts thing is ace but they have a lot to learn about how people watch sports

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If you're going to sign in with a streamer at all Apple was the best choice (or maybe Amazon), because unlike your Fubos and the like (the other Canadians in the thread may think of OneSoccer here) they actually have a global platform and existing customer base that they can leverage to increase your profile. Also they actually have a lot of money, I won't pretend that wasn't relevant.

The question was, do you want to sign with a streamer or stick with traditional broadcasters? ESPN and Fox were in a lot of homes obviously but aside from that they were horrible partners in so many different ways that I'm not surprised the suits went in a different direction, even before you factor in the wildly inconsistent local broadcast situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Athletic is reporting that the refs have approved a new deal with "significant" base and per-match pay raises but without all of the extra travel perks originally asked for.

edit: and it's official, the refs will be back this weekend

How long of a honeymoon period are we expecting before everyone remembers they hate these guys too?

in unrelated news, Vanni got his suspension reduced and may be back on the touchline this weekend

for a home derby against Portland

oh dear

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 26, 2024