Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Welcome to the 29th season of Major League Soccer

Tomorrow is opening kick for the league, and what better way to acknowledge the accomplishments of last year's Shield winner FC Cincinnati or Cup winner Columbus Crew by having...neither of those teams play, but instead having Inter Messi Miami face off against some other team that no one cares about because they don't have Messi (aka Real Salt Lake)? "Literally anything else" you say? Wow, entitled much?

Anywho, that kick off will mark the beginning of a whole slew of changes to the league, such as...what's that voice in my imaginary ear piece? There aren't any major changes? No new teams? Same regular season and playoff format? We are talking about Major League Soccer, right? *shrug* Hmm, ok then.

Joking aside, there are a few minor rules changes are coming:

As before, 34 regular season games with an incredibly imbalanced schedule that ends on Decision Day October 19 with a pause for Leagues Cup going from the end of July to the end of August (but no break for Copa América because that doesn't directly bring money to MLS), a playoff format that's easier to get into than <redacted so as not to get probated>, all culminating in MLS Cup on December 7. All games will stream on AppleTV+'s MLS Season Pass (English and Spanish commentary, with Canadian games also having French commentary; optionally, the home team's radio feed may be selected if available), with the majority of them taking place on Saturday at 7:30PM local time (goddamn I wish they'd have put in some wiggle room on the start time this year) and midweek games on Wednesday at 7:30PM local, with a whiparound show MLS 360 (new this year: a Spanish version that I will definitely not watch because I don't need any more reminders of how incredibly rusty my high school Spanish is). Games that don't take place at 7:30PM local are probably ones that FOX Sports 1/FOX will be nationally broadcasting in the US.

Quick recap of last year:
  • Supporter's Shield - FC Cincinnati (69 points [nice], 6 points clear)
  • MLS Cup - Columbus Crew 2-1 over LAFC (a scoreline which flattered LAFC tbh)
  • US Open Cup - Houston Dynamo 2-0 over Inter Miami
  • Leagues Cup - Inter Miami 1-1 (10-9) over Nashville SC (decided by the keepers taking kicks :bisonyes:)
  • Canadian Championship - Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 over CF Montréal
  • CONCACAF Champions Cup representatives - FC Cincinnati (Shield), Columbus Crew (MLS Cup), Houston Dynamo (US Open Cup), Vancouver Whitecaps (Canadian Championship), Inter Miami (Leagues Cup winner), Nashville SC (Leagues Cup runner up), Philadelphia Union (Leagues Cup 3rd place), St. Louis City (Western Conference winner), Orlando City (at large spot for best MLS record), New England Revolution (at large spot for 2nd highest MLS record)

And now for the obligatory video the cap off this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV0UGXYwQh0

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm 99% certain that if Messi wasn't in this game Apple would have this kickoff match be free for everyone.

Speaking of Season Pass: T-Mobile offered free codes to their customers again so hit up eBay if you're a cheapskate/hate the thought of giving Apple money like me (e: Apparently T-Mobile, but I still found people selling codes on eBay).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 22, 2024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

apparently tmobile isnt offering mls pass this year actually. ah well.

fwiw, it appears my subscription from last season doesnt expire until Saturday. Not sure if thats uniform or based on signup date.

Weird, I saw some posts from people saying they asked T-Mobile reps and they said yes and I bought a code on eBay, so I figured that was true.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

PSRA's open letter to Don Garber, pretty much telling him he/MLS are being greedy cheapskate assholes

Matt Miazga got his suspension reduced by a game :wtc:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sports reporting in general has been getting decimated the past few years, and soccer is pretty low on the pecking order in this country, so they were particularly hard hit. As such, coverage has very much fragmented. Thankfully Sounder at Heart keeps a list of resources for all of the teams. For Austin:

Verde All Day (Substack)
Capital City Soccer (website)
r/AustinFC (Reddit)
Moontower Soccer (podcast)
Austin American-Statesman (newspaper) $

But to answer your initial question, the tl;dr consensus for Austin seems to be "pray everything goes right and for a meteor to hit one of the better teams". Although maybe you get a repeat of 2022 out all that nay-saying :shrug:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:wtc:/:laffo:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Oh, and the league is trying their damnedest to torpedo the US Open Cup because they don't want to participate in it due to "schedule congestion" (*stares incredibly hard at the Leagues Cup*), but it looks like they will kinda sorta still participate it in this year

Update: they're kinda sorta going to participate. tl;dr - Top 7 teams from last season not in CCC + Houston (as defending champs) will enter in the round of 32; the other teams not in CCC will send their MLS Next Pro teams in the first round; the CCC teams, Canadian teams and DC United (not having an MLS Next Pro affiliate) will have no representation in this tourney.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nothing to see here folks, everything's normal

https://twitter.com/MLSRefStats/status/1763949948968570926

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Surprising almost no one, it'll be MLS All-Stars vs. LigaMX once again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cash Grab Cup schedule is out

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Apple's UI is loving garbage (like it is with all of their products, fight me), so I don't blame you for not being to find this stuff easily, but it does appear they don't have archived versions of 360 or Wrap Up shows. The former I can understand, the latter seems like something rather obvious to do (like hiding the scores of games by default...something that took them multiple weeks to figure out because they're loving garbage at UIs).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Kei Kamara continued his quest to play for every MLS team, signing with LAFC for #11.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like the league is going to allow teams to open up their coffers a bit more starting this upcoming transfer window. Greater flexibility with DP/U-22 spots, a 2nd roster buyout, higher cap on transfer/loan fees that can be converted to GAM (and the limit is now per year instead of per transfer).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

...there are a few minor rules changes are coming:
  • Substituted players have to leave the field within 10 seconds, otherwise the incoming player will have to wait at least 1 minute to enter.
  • Players who go down injured for more than 15 seconds will be moved off the field for treatment and have to remain off the pitch for at least 2 minutes (with some exceptions like cards)
  • Refs will now have to announce their VAR decision and reasoning for everyone to hear...
  • ...but those refs will be scabs to start the year because the PSRA rejected the hell out of PRO's CBA proposal, so that will be fun. (edit: all of this stuff has been postponed because of said scabs)

Update: Back on

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

32 seems to be a foregone conclusion and 36 isn't out of the question.

I very much doubt we'll see any more "promotions" considering MLS and USL aren't exactly best friends (see: Open Cup clusterfuck) and the past couple teams were in markets that already had USL teams but were new franchises (that subsequently killed off the existing team, :rip: San Diego and St. Louis).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You know how the league has been unnecessarily opaque about how each team's roster is constructed and what their budgets are? Well, we got half of that now (because the other half would probably reveal how much Miami is cheating).