Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Speaking of Monument hobbies, it actually looks like they’re debuting 3 new sets at Adepticon:

A gold NMM set

Rogue Hobbies’ punch you in the face bright colours set

& an adepticon branded set with a bunch of awesome browns, oxides and holy poo poo, I can’t believe they actually did it, finally, a somewhat satin black.

Now all I need to do is check how much a round trip plane ticket from Melbourne Australia to Chicago is and-

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Paragon8 posted:

They've said they'll be added to the regular range so just need a bit of patience! very excited about them!

Just imagine I’m Veruca Salt with a paintbrush

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
First you’ll need a Gom Jabar.

If you can’t make your own, store bought is fine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
NMM has been around long enough that even when you see it on gaming minis, your brain just goes 'oh yeah, metal, right' and moves on.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lumpy posted:

HELLO GUYSS

Yeah, he comes across as an incredibly genuine dude.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They sure do.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Flipswitch posted:

planning on using the ak terrains sandy desert and using a sculpting tool to make gentle sand waves.

yep, pretty much nailed it. That stuff rules. remember you can also shade it with washes, and highlight it too!

Once you've done your basing I'd also highly recommend using a pigment powder on your figures feet to marry it to the base even more.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Kylaer posted:

I'm going to make an order from Pro Acryl because their titanium white is so well regarded and nobody stocks it locally. Are there any other colors from their line that are must-haves?

Bold pyrole red
Mahogany

At a minimum

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Vallejo's spray primer is pretty great on metal models in my experience. I quite like that you get 2 nozzles with the can for getting into smaller spaces too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AndyElusive posted:

What Pro Acryl metallics do you suggest?

I’d say start with Rich Gold and Dark Bronze as both are excellent, and while I haven’t used it, the new magnesium that comes out at the end of this month looks great in previews.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenBuckanneer posted:

ProAcryl Metallics are ok but not as good as vmc

Some ProAcryl are quite thin compared to similar colors from GW

But GW has a better range the entire ProAcryl range is good, if not missing some pastels and some brighter colors

I own their entire range but I still enjoy some GW reds

I think VMC silvers are great, I don’t rate the gold/bronze/coppers at all tho.

Whereas I think that’s where Pro Acryl does very well. Light bronze is gorgeous.

The new releases coming this month patch the few remaining holes in Pro Acryl’s line, especially with Louise Suggdens colours.

After they’re out I don’t think there’s anything left really. Jason from Monument said the same thing recently, they might be about to hit “peak paint” and will just move into increasing distribution and marketing the line, while creating new assistive products like Newsh.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

grassy gnoll posted:

Are they still working on becoming the official Rosemary distributor for the US? I heard the rumor, but I can't actually find anything official from Monument on the subject.

I hadn’t heard that, but it would be a good get.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want the three new sets lol

Same sister. Same. :unsmith:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They like to watch, in dark rooms.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

great big cardboard tube posted:

Also I keep hearing their pro acryl white is the best out there but is there any particular color they suck at and I should find another brand for or are they just universally pretty good?

Pro Acryl are a pretty great range and as someone else said, they don’t make anything that people tell others to avoid, benefits of being a new player, and with a limited range that came out from feedback over many years.

One weird thing that I found out recently, monument hobbies has a discord filled with painters helping each other out, and answering questions, so if you end up going that route, you may find it very helpful!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I find gorilla glue thick great.

And loctite thin.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eej posted:

Microsol is 5 bucks and turns decals into floppy things that will bend around a space marine shoulder perfectly

this is the truth and the way

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hell yeah colour saturation in the green is ace, and complements the oxide rust beautifully

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

nessin posted:

Is there any useful videos that show basic painting techniques to get to a satisfactory looking miniature? For me, that's been surprisingly hard to find.

https://youtu.be/v-BlVYFxfRA?si=gmohKDmY7beFFAfX

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
He’s been around for a while as stickers and little bits of merch, it’s cute.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Not to yuck someone else’s yum, it’s just that I’m yet to see 28mm minis that look good with colour shift Metallics on them that aren’t purely based on the gimmick.

I bet it looks great on scale model cars

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That was my take away for them as well. I do not like their mecha line.

I do not like it on a brush

I do not like it, such a fuss.

I do not want it, painter I am.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I was ready to be excited about fanatic, checked the price of the full range box a few times, but it was the reviews where multiple painters commented on the consistency and finish varying so much that immediately turned me off them.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The 3 new signature sets from Monument Hobbies (Pro Acryl) are available today if you’ve been waiting to pick them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Z the IVth posted:

I did some stuff

Utterly gorgeous.