Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Love Rincewind, except it makes me sad to think Terry Pratchett is dead. (I know its been years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Firstly, i think it looks great. But if you want to take it further, then the answer is almost always increasing the contrast.

Your oil wash has probably dulled some of the highlights, even though you wiped it off the top bits. You could go back and keep adding highlights. Also, with such a big model, then it makes sense that there is a movement in colour from top to bottom. The whole bottom of the bigature can be darker than the top.

But, it looks great right now!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nessus posted:

Should I thin paint-on primer or is that the one where I should just use it more or less as is?

It depends how thick it is to start with. Just like regular paint, you want it to cover the plastic but not obscure details. I use Vallejo brush on primer and i always thin it slightly.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe everyone have already seen it, but the golden demon winners for adepticon are out

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/24/golden-demon-2024-winners-revealed-at-adepticon/

The slayer sword piece is absolutely insane

It is amazing. I wonder if the illusion of the reflection holds from other angles or only directly on as it is photographed. I’d also like to know more about the composition. In particular the posing of the banshee which seems a bit odd with her back to the vamp. Incredible though.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Art contests involving high levels of skill aren't judged on flaws. Flaws will count against you extremely heavily, to the point of essentially being disqualifing. It is far more likely they are judging concept and execution. Basically, what was the artist's original concept, and how do all the elements of design and painting support that concept.

I submit art to contests periodically (and have judged too), if I send something with flaws I know I won't win. It isn't even enough to send a good piece without flaws. To win, I must send something where all the elements of design are working in unison to support my concept.

I don’t follow it closely, but there has been quite a bit of debate about the judging approach to golden demons in the past few years.

They don’t judge on flaws, because as you say, anything with an obvious flaw wouldn’t get that far. But there has been criticism that the judges are overly concerned with technical perfection at the expense of concept and design. (For a while there was apparently a critique that you had to paint in the eavy metal style to win, but that was probably never true and certainly isn’t now.)

The slayer winner this year is a triumph of realising a unique concept by creating an illusion of a reflection in a pond. I would love to see it in person as I struggle to believe that the illusion holds all the way around the model. But people are saying it does.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I saw a thread of criticism where people were complaining that the vampire armour suit was a scan and print. "Why couldn't he just use another copy of the model and scratch out the head and arms? This is cheating. etc".

People who apparently have never noticed that things are reversed in a reflection.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

First model for my Onepagerules Vampiric Undead force done!

Rules! Great model and a really atmospheric paint job. Is that an opr print?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Wip of my happy Plague Marine Kill Team leader. I loved this Blightlord model and decided that since, according to a Reddit post, these guys effectively have 18+ wounds, a Terminator model would be appropriate. The old school Berserker plasma pistol was a breeze to fit on. I’ll probably count the chaincleaver as a powerfist or poweraxe, depending on who I’m facing.

I hope he’s actually somewhat effective. I also have a bolter leader who looks like he’d be more effective on paper.

“Tell me, brother, does my bum look big in this?”

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Next army is Night Goblins. I want a lime green skin on them, over a black undercoat since I'm likely to drybrush their robes a dark grey. Is there any way to do this in one coat of something, or am I best off going with white and then a bright contrast paint? (this is for 10mm scale so I'm all about speed and efficiency)

Lime green over black sounds tricky with contrast paint. As I understand it you would need to get in a strong zenithal eg by heavily dry brushing white on the skin first. I’d be interested to see some test minis.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The only question remaining is whether nebalebadingdong shrinks himself or the models.

Shrinking himself would be more economical on the paints. I assume the ray gun works equally well to grow back up to full size.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

mellonbread posted:

Also a thin file for removing the plastic seams (I thought I could get away with just using a nail file but it's way too big). Would have been good to do that before I painted these, but if I made any more excuses I never would have gotten started.

If these minis are hard plastic, then the seams or mould lines should scrape off pretty easily with the blunt side of a knife. It’s easier and better than using a file.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

also look at cheap watercolors

or expensive watercolors, i'm not your dad

I thought it was pastels you could use, not dad.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

gameraMan posted:

That's what's great about the new oath thread! Just oath one month, fail, and re-oath the next ;-)

Seconding this. I’ve been oathing and failing like mad over the past twelve months. It still had the effect of motivating even through that loving horde of beastie boys who i thought id never finish.

Also if you dont want to swear to paint, you can oath your gluing! Or swear to open a box on the pile of shame and think about doing something! Or anything really.

There is no kink shaming in the new oath thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

To help her along with motivation, I proposed we'd paint a couple of my terminators together- she'll paint them in my scheme, and we'll work through all the steps together until completion. Sounds like a fun little couples project, I think!

Sounds like a Blood Oath!

Get swearing