Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

rain dogs posted:

Painted some little guys

Love me some grots, simple as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished another dude for my raven guard infiltrator squad, except this time it's a Raptors' Deathwatch member on secondment or attached to the squad. Or something lore-adjacent. I just really wanted to use the DW shoulder pad, and since it's on the left shoulder he'd be an active deathwatch member, and as such :words:

Anyway,

e: I finally put in an order for microsol/set and I'm not touching a decal again until those arrive. Getting it to say Raptor on the shoulderpad was also a nightmare- a lot of adepta sororitas unit names from their decal sheet were injured in the making of this mini

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 4, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

His power fist is discombobulatingly devastating.

Haha, you went for the tattoo. Glorious!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The power of liefeld compels you

those reiver helmets are a joy to paint

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 8, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Aniodia posted:

Figure I'd ask, since I'm looking to start painting up my Phobos Strike Team as Deathwatch, and you have some pretty decent black armor, what'd your recipe? I've seen a few different ones in various places, and having a few different schemes to choose from isn't a bad thing.

Sure! I'll give it a try, but I'm very much a novice, and might not have the painting vocabulary to describe my process in a way that'll be useful, but I'll try:

My method is pretty drybrush heavy, and is done entirely with scale75's Flat Black, Eclipse Grey and Graphite, which all finish really matte, which I appreciate

I start off basecoating with flat black, thinned with lahmian medium, then move on to drybrushing with a small, round drybrush.
I make a new mix of flat black and eclipse grey, about 60/40, and heavily drybrush that on any surface that would catch light- I then dilute that mix with progressively more eclipse gray, until you're basically working with 100% eclipse. The more eclipse grey I add to the mix, the lighter I go on the drybrushing, and the more I try to focus on just the edges.
For the last drybrushing pass, I add a bit of the lightest grey, graphite, and wipe off pretty much all of it before applying it to the model-- I've hosed up this step before, where I just end up caking light grey and ruining any gradient I had going, so take care. We're probably talking five or so rounds of drybrushing

After all the drybrushing is done, I move on to edge highlighting, and I basically repeat the way I mixed the paints for the drybrushing, but all of it is thinned with generous amounts of lahmian medium. Starting off with thick lines,, and the closer I get to graphite, the smaller the line.

After hightlighting, I use a soft brush and cover the entire thing in thin layer of stormshield, which obviously varnishes, but also somewhat smooths out the transitions. Then I do a final highlighting pass with graphite, trying to just hit the extreme, top-facing edges with the side of my brush

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I believe I mentioned it, but I only just got microsol for the first time yesterday and it's a whole new world. I've tried to make decals work with just water and it's been a serious struggle

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Listen. I'm a simple man. Very, very simple.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ominous Jazz posted:

I mean microsol and set

Oh! I thought you were making fun of me for my ignorance :P

Microset and microsol are a pair of products that, respectively, prepare the surface for the decal and softens up the decal to adhere to uneven and curved surfaces

Here's a super short eons of battle video on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2N9PTCsuJw

I went back and touched up every single decal I've applied previously and they basically just melted perfectly to their surfaces (unless I'd already applied varnish over the decal)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Radiation Cow posted:

B O N E Z O N E

Quick tester model for a skellie squad I want to enter into a competition in September. Happy with the colours, think I can achieve a level of execution that's comp-worthy.

That not-metal is gorgeous!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished a new infiltrator and since I found a nice way to light the minis, I snapped some proper pictures of my last couple while I was at it:

silencer wobbly so what, how you gonna silence a self-propelled round. Maybe that's why he looks so pissed

Feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the armor looking uniform without it taking infinite hours per mini, pretty satisfied with where it's at right now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is it a little sloppy? Yes; I need to figure out how to control my brush strokes a bit better. Probably related to my poor handwriting.

But is it done? Also yes

He looks great! Especially love the face and glowy eyes, and if there's sloppy lines, it works for the model anyway

But I really hope handwriting and painting skills are unrelated, because I hit my handwriting skill ceiling at age 10 and still exclusively write in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
There's probably good 3rd party apps too, but I know that at least galaxy S23 has a normal and "pro" mode in the camera app, where the latter lets you control focus, shutter speed, iso and white balance, which I guess is all you need to get decent pictures

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Bo-Pepper posted:

Ghazghkull Thraka WIP

feelin good about this face

Bo-Pepper posted:

Still doin

He's gonna look fukken & hella sweet

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

But where is the ports for their black carapace???

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Maybe everyone have already seen it, but the golden demon winners for adepticon are out

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/24/golden-demon-2024-winners-revealed-at-adepticon/

The slayer sword piece is absolutely insane

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Goons helping goons :kimchi:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ravus Ursus posted:

His Instagram has a video showing most of its angles.

It REALLY pops on the black background photos he took. He has a photo of it upside down that looks like it could have been submitted that way too.

@alexdoesminis on insta, if anyone is curious!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

Well here's an easy example:

This one won based on (imo) the clarity of movement in the piece. The ice bridge is rougher in front and flows out into smooth lines at the back which intuitively gives you an idea of where the model is moving. The fur in the front is painted with diagonally downwards lines, to evoke the feeling of the elk pushing powerfully with its front legs and the fur further to the back is more horizontal, to indicate the movement of the body itself. The cloak too has highlight lines starting sharper to the front and diffusing out towards the back. It's also highlighted in warmer colours towards the front and ends up in a cold blue towards the back, kind of like a comet trail (the bright is where it's going, the darker is where it's leaving). Everything is done to indicate to you that Thranduil on his elk is charging forward.

I appreciate this breakdown, and comparing it to the model, I buy it completely.

But haha it also tells me that I am basically doing paint by numbers in comparison, both in terms of painting a model and how I look at painted models

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I have gotten to the point we all eventually get to, perhaps

sitting with a power drill in one hand, and a bottle of paint in the other, trying to figure out how to macgyver a vortex mixer

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The first prototype consisted of an empty cardboard roll of toilet paper and copious amounts of electrical tape- it was a resounding success on my horrible wraithbone pot, but the risk of painting my entire living room with citadel paints in an expressionist style possibly outweighs the benefits of a perfectly mixed pot..

Eej posted:

Don't do it man... it's only $40 for a vortex mixer: https://www.amazon.com/LABFISH-Vortex-Function-Stainless-Acrylic/dp/B0BWDH285V

and like $10 for a pack of hematite beads

This is probably the right call, but I live somewhere with insane import tax, so that mixer would probably end up costing closer to $80, as I've been unable to find any domestic vendors- even looked for some nail polish shakers, but same deal there

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished two more beakies

I've started playing around a bit with using very thinned out (with contrast medium) black templar contrast paint for shading, and I think I like how it looks. Didn't spend as much time on these guys as the last batch, but I had fun with the osl on both

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that the Tudor rose on the second one's tit? Looks great whatever.

Thanks!
It’s actually an order of the bloody rose-decal from a sororitas kit, and it's only there to hide the crater left over from me experiencing decal regret and making a complete dogs breakfast out of removing the previous one post varnishing- won't make that mistake again, I hope

Professor Shark posted:

Hate all of it, especially that last one where the base of the model lines up with the road

Cool as heck as ever!

I especially hate this one, with fukken text on an ATM screen the size of an atom:

Nebalebadingdong posted:

medina shops from the lazy forger

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 3, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I made my own and it worked alright, but I picked up one from greenstuff world that came packaged with 50 sheets, and I love it!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
"Brother Quintus of the Ultramarines, veteran of the Tyrannic Wars, hero of Hadrian's Breach, once commended by Calgar himself and a staunch and honorable ally until the very end-- saw something he shouldn't have."

My slightly late entry for March for Macragge

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

lookin great. why do the dark angels have jawas anyway??

Pretty sure they don't know either, and anyone who questions it too intentely gets disappeared and probably sold for parts on some desert deathworld

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Southern Heel posted:

1000ish points of Warhammer Fantasy 4th Edition in 10mm:

Next army is Night Goblins. I want a lime green skin on them, over a black undercoat since I'm likely to drybrush their robes a dark grey. Is there any way to do this in one coat of something, or am I best off going with white and then a bright contrast paint? (this is for 10mm scale so I'm all about speed and efficiency)

Loving (all the posts with minis, but especially) all these fantasy minis. They look great!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

armorer posted:

What size brush are you using when you paint things at this scale? And do you use a magnifying headset of some sort?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Airbrushing is cheating, because I don't have one :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished the sergeant for my second infiltrator squad! Now that I'm seeing the pictures on a monitor, there's a couple of things that need touching up, but that's for tomorrow.

Continuing my theme of littering ultramarine parts around my dudes, I call this piece "Sgt. Munin standing over what remains of Brother Finch"

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted this happy guy for Wyrd's painting contest. I got 4 votes, which is infinitely better than the 0 I got last time.

You've got my (forums) vote, that thing rules!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
FINALLY finished my last infiltrator!

I imagine that guy is very fast, I suspect he moves around like a tiny armored core

And here's a family photo, with the rest of his squad

Now I can move on to some pallet cleanser projects, before I eventually paint some more raven guard termies or probably my jump pack captain

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think I'm calling her good

I am also calling her good, this rules!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Got to paint one of my wife's sororitas models as a little space marine break

Real fun, but I have quite a way to go with skin tones

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

When I started Deathwatch I was stoked to make a Deathwing Terminator at some point and it only took me 3 years to get around to it:

Looks great as always- I love the way you do weathering and armor chipping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Sounds great!

I'd join in, but I have been a good boy about not really buying more than I'm planning to paint, my "pile of shame" is a box of terminators, a jetpack captain and a liutenant- the only thing that stops me painting is time, not motivation. If anyone should be participating in the oath thread it's my wife, who is far better at buying more models than she is at actually sitting down to paint them- on the plus side, this gives me more minis to paint!

To help her along with motivation, I proposed we'd paint a couple of my terminators together- she'll paint them in my scheme, and we'll work through all the steps together until completion. Sounds like a fun little couples project, I think!