Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its an action mobile game/pc game with devil may cry inspired mechanics and a fairly diverse roster

i dont really know any progression mechanics worked despite trying to play it for like 20 hours

its getting a big mechanics overhaul and new story soon also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbSnYmR-NQ

heres a combo video?

peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
honkai turd impact

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some are saying this. are they wrong? jurys out

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
That's a good combo video, good tag for the thread too.
Worth noting that the combo video is A Post Honkai Odyssey, a side mode with different (better) combat, but Part 2 looks to be moving in that direction, too.

I remember I put off making an "End Of Part 1" OP until it was really close to the start of Part 2, someone else volunteered to do that but I don't remember who. My personal hype level for Part 2 is at "I'll check out a new Hoyo story sure" but I haven't gotten a lot of spoilers, story or mechanical. In the meantime . . .

Honkai Impact 3rd "Part One" Is Pretty Much A Whole rear end Game You Can Play!

The progression systems basically stop mattering for story mode really early on! For a long time they stop even allowing you to use your own characters, and they offer up-to-date trial characters for the entire story from that point onward!

Now if you actually do want to pay attention to the various progression systems I'm not about to type up a whole guide right now, I think there's a beginner's walkthrough thing in game that gives a decent character too?

Don't spend crystals on Dorm Supply, it's the Standard Banner. Expansion Supply and Focus Supply both carry pity over when it changes but Event Supply doesn't (it usually has some other bonus though.) Most characters really want their weapon, but compared to Genshin the rarity for weapons are like a 4 star except with the 5 star pity system on top.

There's a whole bunch of side media, some of it is cool, none of it is necessary. The game starts in media res, it's fine, you'll figure it out. The story really starts picking up around Chapter 8, if you don't like the arc that's going on then you can safely drop. If you stick with it, it has some of Hoyo's highest highs easily and there is a reason the people who stick with it love it so much.

Also dropping out of faux-p mode into "there's a thread" mode, man APHO was cool and Adam has a cool design. It's too bad that as an unnamed "Main Character" he isn't allowed much personality, if they wanna give us expies of him, Carol, and unrelated but also kind of a Dante to Adam's "kind of a Nero" Seigfried, that'd be cool.

Also I guess a lot of people here didn't like Part 1.5? I thought the pacing was a bit off, but that's to be expected after dropping from Finale Hype, and besides that it had lots of Susannah, lots of Senti, lots of Fu Hua, Moriarty being the best Hoyo villain since Otto, and even managed to dial the hype levels up for it's big moments even while knowing it's an epilogue. I personally definitely liked it better than a lot of other arcs, especially the Elysium Everlasting part whose writer got people excited about Penacony.

Admittingly that arc had it's cool moments, but end "Elysia is 100% perfect and died for our sins and gets the big animated fight instead of Mei" stuff in the latter part combined with coming in between FALSE GOD OTTO and THE FINALE really soured me on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fu Hua is the best character in this game

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Fu Hua is the two best characters in this game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Part 1 of 1.5 was awful. I love Seele but the arc with her was genuinely pretty miserable to crawl through. It was a bleak time imo. However once Fu Hua came on screen the issues disappeared and things picked up again and ended on a pretty high note. (For them not letting us play FoV early that is)

Meowywitch posted:

:yeah:

Also the thread title should be Honkai 3rd Impact Part Fly Me 2 Mars.

I could bang out an op since it was forced upon us, but I don't know all the part 2 changes beyond gacha so it would be at risk of being changed when part 2 comes out in a week.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
post more sentis

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i like the pink elf

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I play a bunch of Honkai Impact, I can elaborate on how to approach it since it likes to throw a bunch of poo poo at a new player that's overwhelming. Now one thing that's gonna be counterintuitive to every new player who's familiar with gacha games is that if you're only interested in Honkai Impact 3's story, you don't need to roll at all. Essentially, 99 percent of the story's campaign will provide you with trial characters to play through, and the majority of it is locked to those trial characters. Essentially, this means that even if you pull the latest meta character, you likely won't be using them in any story content. The other big quandary every player will run into is whether you want to just focus the story or attempt to do the typical gameplay loop of doing dailies and events, cause both will eat up your stamina and you likely won't be able to do both (though I thing the game might dump tons of stamina pots on a new player at the beginning). Doing dailies/events is technically better in the long run for building up resources so you can pull more, buy the free characters and build up your characters, but again that also means nothing for story content, so pick your poison since I find that doing dailies can end up pretty time consuming that you just don't have time for story.

Now about the story itself, it's pretty good and has some pretty nice emotional highs. On the downside it has a super rough start whose pacing is outta whack, and by the end of part 1, has a tendency to drop loads of terminology on you. So a big reason for this is much like how Star Rail is directly connected to Honkai Impact, Honkai Impact itself was affected by Hoyo's early game, Guns GirlZ which was still running at the same time as HI3. So there's some pre-established character dynamics that assumes the player is familiar with them already. A Star Rail example of this is how that game quickly paired up Bronya and Seele because they already had a pre-established relationship in HI3 (Ironically HI3 itself kinda rushes the introduction of Seele as a big reveal because it assumed players were already familiar with her from GGZ). The other reason the pacing of the early story is super wonky is just cause there were events that would run during downtime, which would develop characters and get people attached to Himeko, and essentially none of those events have been retained other than people archiving it online. Additionally there's just other media that got released like manga and VN to expand the universe, which I'm not gonna get into, but that's essentially where you can get Welt's whole deal. Anyways, people have basically cataloged all this online if you really want it lined out.

https://hoyostans.be/explore/honkai-impact-3rd/consumers-guide-hi3/

Speaking of events, outside of slice of life events existing to develop characters, there's perpetually an ongoing event storyline that recently may have just ended that people just call the Captainverse. I won't detail too much about it, especially since it may have ended prior to 2.0, but it was this whole big story arc that vaguely connected to the main storyline but mostly existed in its own timeline. It's essentially where Silver Wolf originated from, and a good chunk of characters originate from it so it can be a bit confusing when you get a character whose lore now only exists in internet archives (like one of the current top Fire characters is literally an alternate universe magical girl version of a GGZ character who is also connected to main story lore). There's no real good way for a new player to really get into it, so just vibe with it if it pops up in 2.0 and accept you'll never fully understand.

Anyways, I might make another post detailing the actual game that's not the story, but basically if you want to know the story, just play the story and ignore everything else.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The manga is pretty good. I'd especially say the Second Impact manga is like just great. It's well worth a read.

I also HIGHLY recommend just playing this game for the story. While the combat is fun, good gods is this gacha awful. And they have to live with the insane power creep the first few years had, that's just left a mark of insanity. The combat is enjoyable and I wish Genshin chars would take many aspects that HI3 chars have like personal resource meters and more use of push/hold to add more skills to a char, but it isn't worth living with the hell that is keeping up with the powercreep. If you don't ascend your account past 80 you can kind of muddle through the abyss fairly easily, but if you do like the game's combat, know breaching the 80 barrier is the domain of whales and I do not under any circumstances recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQWklv8GcCU
The powercreep video of why you shouldn't pull

In general I do agree there is a lot of jank to getting started with the, and it can just not be for you. For good and ill, this game is very much What If we made Evangelion fanfiction where everyone is much gayer but we got our writing style by deep diving EVA fan wiki's. If you aren't prepared to have animes explain this universes variant of quantum mechanics at you, you will hate the story. But if it you do, there's a reason we can't shut the gently caress up about this game.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 22, 2024

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Senti IS pretty much the best . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fTzhNsso7k

Also they should bust out the good music in the gacha treadmill stuff more often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4KgtI6QvY

I've been f2p outside of the two months when they dropped, I wanna say a Senti rerun, followed immediately by the Finale Trio and I've been fine past 80. I think it might be required for ELFs? I'm usually in like the top 10-15% in Memorial Arena and it's not letting me look at Abyss but I can either dip in and out of Redlotus or just skip a stage every couple weeks to stay at a comfortable level there.

The power creep also largely settled down by the time I started playing, I've still got Fischl on my lightning team and Haxxor Bunny on my ice team just because I like them so much more than Eden and Sushang, and Mei and Bronya (both HoT/HoR and their Finale forms depending on the stage) handle everything fine. Mei with either Fallen Rosemary or Herrscher Of Truth for her third, Bronya with either Pardodfelis or Shigure Kira for hers.

EDIT:
ALSO
I would definitely recommend the Second Impact manga, BUT NOT UNTIL AFTER YOU PASS THE PART OF THE GAME THAT COVERS IT.
It's already before the game really picks up, and I can only imagine that after reading the manga, playing a cliffs notes version of the manga would be dire.

Second Edit
That time I spent money was just the monthly card.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 22, 2024

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I played all of part 1 before Star Rail came out, and while there were definitely cool parts (mostly involving Otto, though I liked Elysia too), trying to binge through all that dogshit combat (the system itself isn't really bad, just most of the filler fights in the story mode are) and all the exposition was not a great time, especially since there was almost zero payoff in Star Rail beyond recognizing some expies. I thought playing 1.5 as it came out would be more fun, but I never made it through the Seele sections because they were boring as hell. APHO had a pretty different and more challenging combat system, so I'm really interested to see what part 2 looks like, but if it's just more of the same with a fresh coat of paint I'll be out pretty fast.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also we should probably post the trailer for part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_zG33kAX8

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
As someone who played too much and clawed my way into maintaining a position in the top % of abyss for a short time before I swore off all gacha this is very much a game where rolling is extremely unimportant. Just don't chase the abyss leaderboard, pull when you see someone neat, and ignore anything where someone recommends SS+ gacha characters with personal stigma and PRI arm. Just ignore it. Enjoy the story and good events and you'll be happy.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I played all of part 1 before Star Rail came out, and while there were definitely cool parts (mostly involving Otto, though I liked Elysia too), trying to binge through all that dogshit combat (the system itself isn't really bad, just most of the filler fights in the story mode are) and all the exposition was not a great time, especially since there was almost zero payoff in Star Rail beyond recognizing some expies. I thought playing 1.5 as it came out would be more fun, but I never made it through the Seele sections because they were boring as hell. APHO had a pretty different and more challenging combat system, so I'm really interested to see what part 2 looks like, but if it's just more of the same with a fresh coat of paint I'll be out pretty fast.

I can see that, doing entire chapters in a row gets to be a bit too much cutscene sometimes and the gameplay in a lot of the story feels like it's just there to break up the cutscenes. Personally, between Evangelion in high school and Kingdom Hearts in college among other things, I have acquired a certain taste for insane technobabble and exposition that carried me through a lot of what could have been low points, but they definitely slip to unintended comedy levels at times.

Like, I'm pretty sure at one point there was a plan with a zero percent chance of success, but circumstances would cause probability to invert, turning a zero percent chance into an infinite percent chance? That's very stupid, that does not seem to be how anything should work.

(they did not)

Also finding that image made me realize that I have taken way too many screencaps of this game. Whenever they do weird locations it just looks so loving cool.

Also is it just me or is the new FeMC's outfit very much like Hawk Of The Fog?
I hope that's a sign.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

One extremely good thing to be clear is that the gacha system is being entirely overhauled for part 2. You go from 300 pulls needed to guarantee everything for a character to 150. Character banner has been lowered to 90 pity, and still has no 50/50. Gear banner has hard pity for weapon at 60, stigmas are boosted to 18% drop rate, and whenever a new character comes out, if you're playing actively you get a selector box for one stigma. I don't know how averages will shake out but that's MUCH better than it was previously. Also supposedly they made it so all stigma will be farmable, so if you miss out you should be able to make it, not just certain older stigma like in the current system. Whether this makes pulling on new units more worthwhile remains to be seen, they have three new valks for the first patch, if they go back to one per patch afterwards and keep the idea of sp valks, it'll be good but... :shrug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The free Senti offer should have been permanent, Mihoyo, cmon.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

The free Senti offer should have been permanent, Mihoyo, cmon.

I do not know which regret over procrastinating because I wanted to do a good OP / "well now it's almost Part 2 I will let someone more interested in Part 2 do it" is greater:
Our current OP or that I didn't get the thread made in time for the free Senti.

They should at least have her on the gacha whenever her new gear is.

Also I love the brick, it is incredible, and whenever I use Senti in the Elysian Realm I fight Mobius last and put on Infinite's theme from Sonic Forces and show her who is truly infinite.
(Mobius is also cool. Plus she made Klein, who is the best minor character.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_yXVy-SvEs

Well the yoyo's are cool, but not a big fan of the theme song. It along with the new visual style feels like it's trying to step on ZZZ's toes even more than HI3 already did. At least the dreamseeker talks? That was a huge worry I had with them, that they'd be like the traveler/trailblazer.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Senti and Fu Hua both rule cause they let their pet Phoenix's handle bills!

Started last year and game is fun but boy howdy you can tell the early stuff was their first big english localization cause it does have a fair bit of errors and walls modern gacha's don't have. Hopefully part 2 takes care of that

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_yXVy-SvEs

Well the yoyo's are cool, but not a big fan of the theme song. It along with the new visual style feels like it's trying to step on ZZZ's toes even more than HI3 already did. At least the dreamseeker talks? That was a huge worry I had with them, that they'd be like the traveler/trailblazer.

That is both very cool and yes, very ZZZ to me.

I forget, were there two redheads in the previews for Part 2 or did I call "Asta expy???" incredibly wrong?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain France posted:

That is both very cool and yes, very ZZZ to me.

I forget, were there two redheads in the previews for Part 2 or did I call "Asta expy???" incredibly wrong?

Songque is shown as a very affluent woman like Asta but she's a blonde.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Advice for new players, do not pull on the newbie banner, the one with a 50/50 to get either herscher of rebirth or herscher of finality. The first one is currently really good but the second requires a very expensive team to be just mid and in any case its just better to wait for their solo banners if you really want one of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

AParadox posted:

Advice for new players, do not pull on the newbie banner, the one with a 50/50 to get either herscher of rebirth or herscher of finality. The first one is currently really good but the second requires a very expensive team to be just mid and in any case its just better to wait for their solo banners if you really want one of them.

This is why I don't level up above 80, so I can just use the team where Kiana, Mei, and Bronya are finally together.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

This is why I don't level up above 80, so I can just use the team where Kiana, Mei, and Bronya are finally together.

i got tired of being nagged about not limit breaking no regrets

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Eimi posted:

That team is usable in redlotus and such but very expensive for a newbie since hersher of origin is no longer free and there are better, often farmable options now. In general the brackets with the same rewards are easier in lvl 81+ than in lvl 80 since lvl 80 is infested with a ton of gatekeepers with old and often whaled accounts with rosters no newbie can hope to compete.

edit: I was astonished how much easier 81+ agony 3 was compared to 80 redlotus(same rewards) when I broke through. The difficulty of abyss scales with overall player performance and the lvl 80 gatekeepers push the difficulty of the abyss so high that newbies have to survive to timeout instead of doing score attacks as intended and it takes forever for them to build up any decent f2p income if they are stuck there.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 23, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm stuck forever in agony 3 cause I didn't roll weapon for Prometheus :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah you will have a horrible time capped at 80 cause it's just full of smurfs driving up the Abyss disturbance.

Anyway ZZZ was clearly lined up to be the HI3 successor but they couldn't let go and decided to go with Part 2 so now we have two extremely similar games coming out except one still has jank rear end 2016 UI.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ZZZ does not look good but to be fair I didnt get into the closed beta so what do I know

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Wake up sheeple, Dr. Meis Moth deep state put an elf in the Honkai and it turned all the Herrschers gay.
(They were always gay)

Eej posted:

Anyway ZZZ was clearly lined up to be the HI3 successor but they couldn't let go and decided to go with Part 2 so now we have two extremely similar games coming out except one still has jank rear end 2016 UI.

I mean, they did just change the UI...
...into a still terrible UI that has the same problems.
But it looks a bit fancy now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zwiebel posted:

Wake up sheeple, Dr. Meis Moth deep state put an elf in the Honkai and it turned all the Herrschers gay.
(They were always gay)

I mean, they did just change the UI...
...into a still terrible UI that has the same problems.
But it looks a bit fancy now.

Yeah but then you go do your dailies and the slick New UI opens up Old UI so it's like nothing happened

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I would be neutral on the UI rework if it wasn't for this one element of character select UI

Why on earth they didn't put just thumbnails of the stigg arts instead of these scribbles, there is a lot of empty space in character select to put something bigger and more intelligible anyway . I find it imposible to tell them apart at a glance and when doing MA I'm in constant state of paranoia that I'm about to lock in the wrong thing if I let the run finish.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It's easy to miss these, but they just added a survey. 200 crystals for your Sushang costume funds.

AParadox posted:

I would be neutral on the UI rework if it wasn't for this one element of character select UI

My biggest gripe with it is the character select screen. Having the Genshin character select UI could be fine and an improvement over having to go through the horizontal list that it used to be (and still is sometimes), but the way characters are sorted by default makes no sense and they could've just made it easy if they sorted characters by battlesuit type.
It's easy to miss the Bronya you want if she's squeezed somewhere inbetween several other Bronyas. Even if Truth looks quite distinct from original Bronyas, I still miss her all the time when I'm just scrolling through the list trying to find her.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I've pretty much memorized the battlesuits by type if I'm not selecting by the saved teams.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I admit I went into Agony wanting to use the new Fu Hua battlesuit but ended up selecting the old fire version cause of how similar the portraits looked

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The stream codes are

MARSBONUS
MARSWISHES
HEADTOMARS229

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I admit I went into Agony wanting to use the new Fu Hua battlesuit but ended up selecting the old fire version cause of how similar the portraits looked

Yeah FoV and phoenix are annoying but at least there is no reason to have phoenix pinned anymore so she should be way down the list.

Teen and Adult griseo are even a bigger pain in the rear end, almost identical head with either light pink or salmon background, both still very strong with some overlapping teams and some unique to each one and they even share the only stardust counter team where its easy to switch to the wrong griseo due to horb shenanigans.