Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
My Senadina also came in the 90th pull and I got to 40 on her equip banner before running out of crystals so hard pity there is also likely. Still I had enough 200 pull equip banner catastrophes already that I'm 100% on board the new system but the hard pity stings even if its much better than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

at least they had the long apology post about the poor quality of 2.0 ready to go from day 1. i dont know if "we're bringing back the old characters! dont worry!" is really enticing me to keep playing this after 6 years or however long its been. just continuing with APHO would have been so much better than this.

vv https://www.hoyolab.com/article/25611160

Radical fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 1, 2024

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What apology post?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

lol 3000 crystals apology because game bad?

That's funny.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Radical posted:

at least they had the long apology post about the poor quality of 2.0 ready to go from day 1. i dont know if "we're bringing back the old characters! dont worry!" is really enticing me to keep playing this after 6 years or however long its been. just continuing with APHO would have been so much better than this.

vv https://www.hoyolab.com/article/25611160

Yeah that doesn't really spark confidence in the current story. I love the old characters, I wish Susannah was the protagonist of part because I felt the tail end of part 1 and 1.5 put the time into building her up and establishing her as a character from a faceless nobody. I am fine with a new cast to focus on, but them being copies of the main trio just ain't it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

this game still has the worst gacha ever

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I swear that they lowered hard pity, but removed soft pity entirely too and didn’t mention it in the update notes. That’s the only thing I can think of for the gacha technically being much better on paper but feeling so much worse than it used to be. I should not have to roll for hard pity every single time to get what I want.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So far I think 2.0 is more interesting than 1.5, and feels more like an actual game than 1.x in general, but I don't think it's going to make converts of pretty much anyone who didn't already like this game because it still feels like an impenetrable dinosaur compared to their other games. I guess they're getting poo poo on for not including legacy characters, but to me that's actually one of the better parts, and part of what made 1.5 feel pointless to me, because it was a "new start" featuring a bunch of characters we already knew. Tbf this is the least interesting mihoyo game to me, and I can't ever see myself spending even welkin amounts of money on this game like I have on Star Rail and Genshin, so if bringing the original characters back makes the dolphins and whales happy that's absolutely what they should do.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well I decided to go for Senadina with the 20k crystals I had because gently caress it, if I don't care for the story, I'm out anyway, and well I do like her if I stay. I managed to get her (starting at 50 pity), her weapon and 2 stigs, and Helia's weapon and two sigs in that amount. That's....an insane amount of luck for me in this game. I'm used to suffering. (Speaking of suffering, I never picked up Lambda's gear for a variety of reasons. I'm trying to AE Hua work on that team, but I'm wondering if Lambda with Margrave would just be better? I really don't know the meta side of this game compared to HSR and Genshin, the only HI3 youtuber I watch is HomuLabs)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Story feels very part 1 for the amount I played so I'll give it chance but I'm also in FF7 mines so can't spend too much time.

Having to go close to hard pity for Fu Hua's gear means I'm not getting the new gear unless I get lucky and whelp between a 1 grand Granblue spark my luck is bad right now

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Honestly it feels like the biggest misstep so far story-wise is releasing 1/3 of an update at a time. Of course people aren't invested in the new characters yet, aside from Coralie and Helia getting a preview they haven't even had one update worth of screentime, and those two were missing for most of what we've gotten so far.

That said Coralie is already cool. Her hammer is fun and the knife throwing bit was pretty great.

I do hope the Part 2 cast get multiple battlesuits like the early Part 1 cast, I need a proper DPS Coralie.

edit:
Also, good to hear they're gonna do some performance optimization, I feel like I should not be having mild framerate issues on my setup.

I do not know who they could bring to Mars for more than a cameo from Saint Freya specifically who isn't kind of a big escalation, especially since I'm pretty sure APHO is, like, less than one year away on the timeline?

Maybe Ai-chan counts? My first thought was Theresa, along with "good, she could use some more screentime," but then I remembered she's literally the Overseer now.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 2, 2024

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I'm not sure who it could be either if they're specifically from St. Freya. Kiana's out because she's stuck on the moon and probably won't return to Earth until the climax of APHO 3, Mei... could be possible, but she should be teaching Adam and Carole around this point of the timeline I'd think? Training them. Bronya is also possible but I can't imagine her sticking around long because she also needs to be back for the events of APHO, just 2 years later. Himeko is obviously dead.

That leaves Fu Hua and Theresa. I can't see it being Theresa because as Overseer, she needs to be on Earth to manage operations so by process of elimination it kinda has to be Fu Hua? Ai-chan I'm not even going to consider, they were never a character until the Finale of Part 1.

Unless they want to blindside us all and introduce HI3's version of the Savior of Light Houraiji Kyuusyou to Part 2 (since she was technically a student at St. Freya briefly in Reborn), which I am all for frankly. But that's about as likely as the Herrscher of Sentience ending up in Honkai Star Rail.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 2, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Selenephos posted:

Yeah I'm not sure who it could be either if they're specifically from St. Freya. Kiana's out because she's stuck on the moon and probably won't return to Earth until the climax of APHO 3, Mei... could be possible, but she should be teaching Adam and Carole around this point of the timeline I'd think? Training them. Bronya is also possible but I can't imagine her sticking around long because she also needs to be back for the events of APHO, just 2 years later. Himeko is obviously dead.

That leaves Fu Hua and Theresa. I can't see it being Theresa because as Overseer, she needs to be on Earth to manage operations so by process of elimination it kinda has to be Fu Hua? Ai-chan I'm not even going to consider, they were never a character until the Finale of Part 1.

Unless they want to blindside us all and introduce HI3's version of the Savior of Light Houraiji Kyuusyou to Part 2 (since she was technically a student at St. Freya briefly in Reborn), which I am all for frankly. But that's about as likely as the Herrscher of Sentience ending up in Honkai Star Rail.

You say it's unlikely but I'd love it if they have Senti appear in Star rail first and save the Fu Hua equivalent for later!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Have her be a foxian. It's too perfect for her.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Everyone forgetting about Rozaliya and Lilliya.

Just like Mihoyo forgot about ever doing anything with them. Granted, they were a bit too young during HI3, so I get why.

RIP idiot twins.

I kinda liked their gimmick when you had both of them in a team together.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Selenephos posted:

I mean, Senti is a super popular character the writers seem to have fun with who did see a trip to space in her future, her in either Part 2 or Star Rail eventually feels pretty likely to me, even if her showing up early in Part 2 feels super unlikely. Partially for power level reasons, partially because one of the Special Programs confirmed Vita as a mysterious ally and Senti knows her already.

More than half the part 1 cast is originally from GGZ, right? Missing GGZ characters making into Part 2 could be cool and doesn't seem that unlikely, although come to think of it someone from GGZ probably wouldn't count as "familiar."

But Houraiji is a chuuni, right? I loving love chuuni so I hope it's her.

Zwiebel posted:

Everyone forgetting about Rozaliya and Lilliya.

If I were just choosing a Part 1 character to send to Mars close to this point in the story it'd either be Sussanah or the Vodka Girls, they're fun as hell, they'd probably be funny with Coralie's deadpan humor, and child characters pre-timeskip should always show up again post-timeskip.

The current speculation is from a news post that specified someone from Saint Freya, though. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include them.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 2, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I see they got rid of the Co-op section. That's cool, it was always a pain to queue up a team when I was finally able to play. I just need to find out where the divine keys section is now...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I expect more Sussanah as she's popular and a story can always use a character that thinks they're low powered but actually is super strong.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Susannah rules. I wonder if they might make Alvitr a main character as well. IIRC, Susannah started out as a NPC valkyrie who tasked you to do things she was too lazy or afraid to do. Now she's one of my favorite valkyries to play because her combos are super fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am all aboard the Susannah should've been the protagonist to begin with, so bringing her in would only be good.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't mind seeing grown up Rozaliya and Liliya and would especially like to see Susannah as part of the core cast in Part 2. I just excluded them because they specifically said a St. Freya character will join the cast, which narrows it down to just one person realistically speaking. Rozaliya and Liliya were Anti-Entropy aligned and while Susannah is from Schicksal, she wasn't from St. Freya specifically.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You say it's unlikely but I'd love it if they have Senti appear in Star rail first and save the Fu Hua equivalent for later!

I mean Senti canonically shows up in GGZ for all of 5 minutes, going "wow this world is weird compared to my own" and then leaves with zero explanation. I could totally see Senti doing something similar in Star Rail.

Captain France posted:

But Houraiji is a chuuni, right? I loving love chuuni so I hope it's her.

She's the chuuni. Moreso than Fischl from Genshin even.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

All this talk of APHO reminds me of the combat for APHO Part 2. I really wish the new game leaned into that a bit more. I think it's trying, but it's not as intense or frantic. Maybe it'll get that way further into the story, but I just miss being able to chain those kickass QTEs with the MC, Mei, Bronya, Carole, Lyle, and Timido.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I want APHO 3 simply because I want APHO Mei as a battlesuit dammit. It's her best design I think and it's a crime you can't use it outside of APHO.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

At the very least it should be a costume for Mei!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I want APHO 3 because the combat in it was loving sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJQiyOYjHg

I really like H3I, the combat gives me the same dopamine hit that DCUO gave me back when I played it, but the APHO installments took the game to another level with the intensity to juggling enemies and chaining combos and QTEs. I wish they'd make more gameplay like that. Senadina feels like a step in the right direction, but it's not as satisfying as playing Bronya in APHO Part 2.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 4, 2024

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
APHO characters would fit quite a bit better into part 2 gameplay than they did in part 1. Even if they don't continue APHO, adding them to the game proper might be on the table.
They had Carole, Lyle and Timido in some of the late part 1 events (Carole was even in the recent cartoon they made), so it's not like they forgot about them.
No clue how old they were in APHO though or how old they would be in part 2.

The APHO gameplay really isn't that different from part 2. Part 2 has mix-ups, which are a lot less jank and better integrated than APHOs jump counters. Astral ring isn't mechanically that different from the APHO2 extra button and Lyle set-ups. I sorta like the resonance mark mechanic they came up with, but who knows what their long term plans for it are.
Do people care a lot about the APHO story? I skipped all of it since it was full of spoilers even by the time it released.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
APHO story and characters are cool, and I was glad to see them start working them in with 1.5 and Alien Space. Unless Part 2 going to tie into it pretty significantly, it seems weird to do Part 2 before finishing APHO, and to set Part 2 like, a year before it? Like, that kind of makes it hard to use any characters who are in APHO, and especially locks out the rookies because if they're in Part 2 then they're not rookies in APHO, right?

Also it's just kind of weird that we have Part 2, then we have APHO like a year after Part 2, then like five years after that we have Alien Space and Welt in Star Rail, all three running sort of concurrently? Like I guess they're probably not stepping on each other's toes too much but still.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'll take a proper Timido valk if she keeps her combos

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think Alien Space happens right after APHO. Void Archives briefly traveled with Himeko and Welt on the Astral Express for like a year, left, then somewhere along the way they picked up Dan Heng and March 7th. Then Star Rail starts sometime after that.

I think they're slow in continuing APHO because they didn't know how to actually conclude the story at the time. Like, APHO 1 came out around the same time as Lament of the Fallen (chapter 17) and it not only spoiled that Mei wouldn't stick around in World Serpent, it implied that something bad happened to Kiana, possibly died and that's why Mei was fairly low energy and depressed during it.

Only for... no, Kiana's fine. She's just stuck in the moon and Mei is really sad about being at work while her girlfriend is on the moon apparently? Unless something bad happens to Kiana sometime during Part 2 I suppose.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair, I get depressed when I'm at work and my girlfriend is in Canada and I'm not in Canada.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Somehow the "bridge" did not occur to me as a way to get characterization for the new characters until I saw this.

Coralie is pretty great. Definitely my favorite of the new set so far.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I barely played last two weeks and just logged in to do the abyss an hour before it closes and everything just looked off to me:

https://i.imgur.com/2UwWRKa.mp4

I did play like half an hour of the patch last week and aside from the hp bar and weird button placement it looked ok but this time everything was worse. Was the rest of UI this tiny? I had really hard time telling if the ults were up or not, especially with DPS Horb ult reset.
Was the gameplay always zoomed out as much? For the entire run I could barely see the valks or the enemies I was fighting except for special animations. I distinctly remember the camera of nihulus husk fight being all up in his crotch and now it looked like he is a normal sized person fighting a chihuahua.

Maybe it was always like this and I'm just tripping but I don't remember struggling so much telling apart what was going on and who I was fighting. At least husk seemed like a brain dead fight with FoV + Hotr so I could autopilot.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont think anything but the new UI elements are smaller, but ive noticed changing some of the constant elements has made everything feel off in relation to that. similar feeling to installing a UI overhaul in WoW until you acclimate to it.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Radical posted:

i dont think anything but the new UI elements are smaller, but ive noticed changing some of the constant elements has made everything feel off in relation to that. similar feeling to installing a UI overhaul in WoW until you acclimate to it.

Maybe you're right and I'm just tripping, I was looking at my old clips with the same pc and the characters look bigger but its probably stage camera fuckery + dps horb being tiny, when MA Aponia comes back I'll have a lot of footage of me wasting my time to compare.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
After playing for years, I feel like any ui change that isn't a huge improvement is going to feel off for a while, yeah. I'm definitely not enjoying the new ui, but I didn't like the old one much either.

Also I could swear Husk Existentialism had some new camera fuckery last time I fought it but only that boss, and I guess it kinda fits?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Wow. Aside from the fact that playing the story quest where "the gang visits their local library" while my ADHD meds were wearing off was probably a mistake (those pages of Lore didn't seem too important beyond what they summarized, right?), that sure was a Part 2 of a 3 Part chapter that probably should have been all one update.

New scientist girl seems cool, at least?

I'm still at "let them cook," but man, they really did themselves a disservice not having at least the whole chapter at once for what was supposed to be something of a relaunch.

--edit
Meta question: How much better is Senadina than Luna, in general? Is she better than Luna outside of Stardust type enemies?

Because I like Senadina all right and I have her two support characters, but Luna is rerunning soon and she's so loving cool and I got her weapon off of the free 10 pull the first time she was around.

I have no Mobius or Aponia if it makes a difference. I do have HoT and replacing her with Luna would be kinda sad but chainsaws.
(I have Herrscher Of Truth with her stigma, a maxed out Fischl, a maxed out Fallen Rosemary, maxed out stigma and weapon for somehow for Eden in spite of never farming Eden, and now I have Helia's stuff but my Helia is currently only A-Rank. If supports matter. Oh right, and I have Adult Griseo with her weapon but either Sussanah or Child Griseo's stigma)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 8, 2024

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I've kinda liked act 2 a bit more than act 1, since they actually go and talk more about Oxia and the history of the martians. But I do agree that they should've released a larger amount of this chapter from the beginning. Making people wait on this like they do with every other normal chapter release might be a bit more detrimental this time around. It's fine to make people wait a bit when they are already invested. But it's not the best when people are still trying to get on board.

Captain France posted:

Meta question: How much better is Senadina than Luna, in general? Is she better than Luna outside of Stardust type enemies?

Because I like Senadina all right and I have her two support characters, but Luna is rerunning soon and she's so loving cool and I got her weapon off of the free 10 pull the first time she was around.

I can't really compare Senadina and Luna directly, since I haven't rolled for Sena. But I doubt that Sena is better for raw damage or brute forcing her way through enemies. The part 2 stuff is going to get a lot more support going forward and they'll be pushing the Astral Ring gimmicks, but with the existing support structure, bosses and abyss weather, things are probably stacked in Lunas favour as a regular lightning damage dealer. They even had Bright Knight Excelsis as a boss this week and everything Luna does is extra good against her.
She's probably going to remain a good choice for brute forcing anything MECH that isn't resistant to lightning. And Luna gets used as a lightning support as well, since she hands out lightning elemental breach and some other bonuses (really wants her stigmata for this though). So she shouldn't really get sidelined as quickly as normal lightning damage dealers like Aponia, Mobius or HoThunder, even if she might end up playing second fiddle to a new thing.

Kind of a question of whether or not you're happy missing out on future releases or don't have anything better to do with your crystals right now.

EDIT:
Coincidentally, just saw that the youtube channel Marisa Honkai posted a comparison between Senadina/Coralie/Helia and Senadina/Eden/Luna for the current abyss SD boss. So it seems she's a viable support for Sena on top of everything else. Maybe that helps you a bit:
Youtube

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am not one with any understanding of the deeper stuff behind those suits, but I have both, and Sena is more like a sustained dps instead of the crazy burst that Luna has. The new part 2 team feels fine but not exceptional to me. But I am an idiot.

As for the new story bits, well it did a lot to make me like Coralie. She managed to be pretty funny and actually stand out from Bronya by being willing to be aggressive and mean which was fun.