Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah this very much was the middle chapter of the first part of a HI3 story event. But it did enough to at least make want to do the full event

Coralie/Perception was the high light. Peak awkward comedy between the 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Captain France posted:

Meta question: How much better is Senadina than Luna, in general? Is she better than Luna outside of Stardust type enemies?

Because I like Senadina all right and I have her two support characters, but Luna is rerunning soon and she's so loving cool and I got her weapon off of the free 10 pull the first time she was around.

I have no Mobius or Aponia if it makes a difference. I do have HoT and replacing her with Luna would be kinda sad but chainsaws.
(I have Herrscher Of Truth with her stigma, a maxed out Fischl, a maxed out Fallen Rosemary, maxed out stigma and weapon for somehow for Eden in spite of never farming Eden, and now I have Helia's stuff but my Helia is currently only A-Rank. If supports matter. Oh right, and I have Adult Griseo with her weapon but either Sussanah or Child Griseo's stigma)

Luna has the highest damage S0 rank teams right now with FoV being the closest, definitely stronger than Sena's.

Generally the meta pulls are always whoever released right now and never ever go for reruns unless they are recent premium S rank supports, those currently being horb, hotr and sushang's gear but the last two are due for replacement so they are kinda risky. This is because all new fights are made for new valks and some old but strong valks like HoF and HoH are due to replacement soon and that replacement will have to be incredibly strong due to so many people having HoF ranks and HoH being still a monster.

With that said HoT was very viable for a really long time so I would expect LV to remain the same, so it is not the worst "meta" move you could make, it would be an easier recommend if you had full adult griseo gear, the difference between 4/4 Big griseo and any other gear combination is huge.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Guess I'm waiting for that Luna rerun I'm pretty sure I saw them announce.

Senadina is okay, but Luna is so loving cool.

The new crew has honestly made a better first impression than any of the old crew besides maybe Kiana and her incredibly overt gayness, but they're still very much in "first impression" mode to me and "March 7th with a yo-yo" can't compete with "sexy chainsaw vampire, who is also my first physical DPS revisited and also a Captainverse character getting an update."

I wonder if Captainverse is fully done or not? On the one hand it had a couple sequel hooks, on the other Captainverse was already feeling the continuity lockout on the last couple events, before a big thing meant to draw in new players.

I want a time skip Haxxor Bunny though, if we Silver Wolf isn't her.

--Edit
Also for any newer players reading this, first, a disclaimer that you don't need to pull for the story and you can generally do okay in the other stuff using mostly your favorites with some exceptions, and you do not need to worry about pull value too much.

That said, if you do want to worry about pull value

Pull for Herrscher Of Rebirth while she's on banner today. She's the best physical support, the best psy-type physical DPS, and a top tier physical DPS in general. The character she power crept kept her position for multiple years and then got a new weapon to give her a new role. Herrscher Of Truth is the only character with higher pull value, I'm pretty sure. In addition, she's got two fun playstyles for the roguelite mode, she works well with Herrscher Of Sentience if you got her when she was free (DPS HoRe wants HoS as a support, DPS HoS wants HoRe as a support), she has a cute deer in her support form, and she's the presumed "final form" for a character you'll probably like by the end of the story. She's cool and good.

--one more edit because I was playing

I love how, after training under the 12 greatest heroes of her era, including the greatest kung fu master of all time, Griseo watched the Star Wars prequels and those had a way bigger influence on her fighting style. It amuses me.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 9, 2024

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Thelema is the next Valkyrie coming in 7.4. Here's how she plays.

https://twitter.com/hi3_info/status/1766360625309987024

She uses a chainwhip sword like Ivy from Soul Calibur.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Selenephos posted:

Thelema is the next Valkyrie coming in 7.4. Here's how she plays.

https://twitter.com/hi3_info/status/1766360625309987024

She uses a chainwhip sword like Ivy from Soul Calibur.

Better looking video from a quick google.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XGM2ZLPCUI

I need to do math, but I think I'm probably skipping Luna on purpose now.

Also should this maybe be spoiler tagged? It's gameplay and not story so I'd lean no on that, but it's also leak/preview, but then also they preview characters before release anyway . . .

Also would anyone happen to already have an estimate for how many free pulls we usually get per patch?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Captain France posted:

Also would anyone happen to already have an estimate for how many free pulls we usually get per patch?

The table for crystals per patch without events and one time story rewards:

Also a crystal calculator if you want to know the income for a concrete timespan that you can adapt to how you play https://honkaihub.com/calculator

As for events we usually get between 3/4 events per patch 600 crystal each so you can add that. I would say dedicated f2p can usually get between 60-70 pulls per patch depending on how generous it is.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Codes:

WB6AWERE8VZP
60 crystals

PART2GIFT
Senadina trial card and some coin

TRIP2MARS
30 crystals

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

What should I be looking at as a good resource for this game?
I just started it and it is pretty overwhelming with all of the stuff they throw at you, and all the I guess part 1 story to go through? In addition to the new part 2 stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For getting into the story I like this. https://hoyostans.be/explore/honkai-impact-3rd/consumers-guide-hi3/hi3-phase-1/ Part 1 starts following GGZ which isn't accessible globally, so this site collects the manga that covers that period of the story so you can read it. As well some of the other manga like Second Impact is quite good, I enjoyed reading it all.

There is a lot of systems stuff, but good news is in the story you never have to own a single valk, after chapter 7 they give you trial versions of whoever is present storywise. So just playing for the story you never need to touch anything else. If you want to get into meta, I have no idea sadly if anyone has any good content creators I wouldn't mind follow them myself to actually understand team building more than whatever the in game tutorial shows.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Zebia posted:

I just started it and it is pretty overwhelming with all of the stuff they throw at you, and all the I guess part 1 story to go through? In addition to the new part 2 stuff.

For the story I'd suggest just playing through the story. Maybe do some of the beginner's onboarding stuff in game, but past a certain point it stops even letting you use your own characters, and once that changes they still offer trial characters for everything there.

Hoyostans can be good if you finish and want more or have some side thing you're really interested in, but if you can handle starting in media res with "an alien invasion or something?" the game itself is more than enough to follow it.

After the story, I'm not so sure either, all my guides are years out of date I think. On the bright side I went from "I spent all my starting crystals on Fischl from Genshin Impact and I'm not picking up another lighting DPS to replace her" to "top 10% of boss arena consistently and in the 3rd Abyss thing from the top" with just the occasional guidance and mostly just using my favorite DPS characters and whoever can support them, so you can mostly wing that too.

Eimi posted:

For getting into the story I like this. https://hoyostans.be/explore/honkai-impact-3rd/consumers-guide-hi3/hi3-phase-1/ Part 1 starts following GGZ which isn't accessible globally, so this site collects the manga that covers that period of the story so you can read it. As well some of the other manga like Second Impact is quite good, I enjoyed reading it all.

There is a lot of systems stuff, but good news is in the story you never have to own a single valk, after chapter 7 they give you trial versions of whoever is present storywise. So just playing for the story you never need to touch anything else. If you want to get into meta, I have no idea sadly if anyone has any good content creators I wouldn't mind follow them myself to actually understand team building more than whatever the in game tutorial shows.

I think Keebster used to be good, but they haven't posted in ages.

--Edit
I guess the choice between just playing the game and following the Hoyostans guide and reading some of the manga first is sort of a "pick your poison" between being a bit confused at first and spending more time in the Early Zone? I didn't enjoy Escape From Nagazora much, and I think the game really picks up from about Chapter 8 onward. I recently watched someone else play the early chapters and they're better than I remembered, but I'd still generally prioritize getting to Chapter 8, that's where I was hooked. Plus a couple chapters before that are a slightly different viewpoint on the events of the Second Eruption manga, and while the Second Eruption manga is good and I would totally recommend reading it later, I feel like knowing what's going on during that section would really hurt it?

Also for Meta stuff, not new player advice:
What are people who don't have Senadina or Luna using to defeat Meteoroid: Guaymas in Memorial Arena this week? Is it more important to have a Stardust type (Griseo) or a jump button (Coralie? I don't think it's possible to have Helia past A-Rank yet, is she worth using at A-Rank?) or am I overthinking it and I should just brute force it with something?

It is completely bullshit that they don't seem to have retconned Carole and HoF's jumps into dodge-jumps, btw.

Edit--
I was overthinking it. Young Griseo, Adult Griseo, and Herrscher Of Rebirth got me 68576 points even with slightly scuffed Stigmata. I guess I just made it harder on myself trying to have a jump?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 10, 2024

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Zebia posted:

There's a fandom wiki.
https://honkaiimpact3.fandom.com/wiki/Honkai_Impact_3_Wiki
It's mediocre.
When it comes to the gameplay, the starter quests try to provide some help and push players in the appropriate directions. You get a lot of decent starter rewards for doing specific tasks.
I think the "Training Manual" button for it is in the bottom middle of the default bridge screen.
Doing the tutorials can also be quite helpful, since the game by itself doesn't properly explain its mechanics.
From the main menu, click on the big "Attack"-button, click on the "Event"-tab at the top and then "Tactics Class" to find the tutorials. You can try out characters here as well.

If you're on the right server, you could probably get someone here to use the Sensei/Cadet system to guide you directly in the game. Both players get rewards if you partake in it and it helps to be able to ask questions for anything that comes up with the games chat menu. (You still get to read the messages you received later, even if you're offline. So it doesn't matter if you're online at different times of the day.)
I think you should be able to access the cadet system through the Friends menu on the bottom left of the main screen. Not sure whether or not you have to toggle something for it, since the cadet menu disappears for long time players. If you give a friendly goon your UID they can make you their cadet and help you more specifically with any questions you might have about the gameplay and the hodgepodge of different currencies.

Part 1 story:
For the story, they actually streamlined some stuff a while ago. They had this weird multi-media approach to the game where they made a bunch of comics that they expect players to read and it can be a bit of a mixed bag. This isn't really super necessary for the first few chapters, but around chapter 6 it starts to become more relevant.

All you really have to know to start is that the "Honkai" is some kind of sentient space energy thing that wants to destroy civilizations. Everyone is trying to prevent that and "Valkyries" are the fighting force of the illuminati-like organization "Schicksal". These are mostly women because women are statistically more likely to have higher Honkai energy resistance for some unknown reason (the actual reason is gacha game marketing strategies).

About Part 2:
If you want to jump into the new part 2 stuff, it doesn't actually take much and the current rewards for starting it are pretty decent. You'll get Coralie and all of her equipment handed to you and she's a pretty decent character.
At account level 30 (I think?) they allow you to play with part 2 stuff.
Story wise you don't really need to know all that much. Part 1 is about earth and the struggle of the earthlings. Part 2 is about Coralie and Helia coming over from earth in order to explore Mars, since they mostly got their own problems under control and humanity can just worry about exploring the universe at this point. Martians look just like regular earth humans, because that's just Mihoyos preference for character designs. You'll figure it out.
But here's a small glossary to make it more approachable:

-Luoxing: This is just the name for the planet Mars that the former Martian natives used. Their planet and civilization got itself involved in some catastrophes forever ago. Presumably Honkai related

-Great Eruption: The Martian name for the catastrophe that destroyed Mars. Earthlings assume it might've been Honkai related, which is why they are quite interested in it, due to their own struggles against Honkai.

-Bubble Universe: A smaller section of a real universe that got "shaved" off or separated from its parent universe by some disaster/huge power. These are sometimes stable and exist for millennia. Sometimes they just dissolve and get destroyed, to the detriment of everyone in them.

-Sea of Quanta: The place between universes which people travel through in order to access those different universes. Universes are here, basically. It's a weird magic quantum physics place that makes little sense. Just gotta roll with it.

-Sea of Data: A specific bubble universe that the Martians mess around with to sustain their society. They'll talk about it more later.

As for gameplay, I'd recommend going to the character trials first and playing some of the necessary tutorials in order to make part 2 more approachable. From the main menu, you click on the big "Attack"-button, click on the "Event"-tab at the top and then "Tactics Class". The three part 2 characters are at the top. The Astral Ring section is also important for the gameplay and will make things easier.

The mechanics section also has a lot of relevant stuff in it and rewards you with additional gacha currency for completing it.
They specifically added a new thing in part 2 called Mix-ups. It's at the very bottom of mechanics.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 10, 2024

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm kind of in two minds because yes, early HI3 Part 1 is a bit of a confusing mess unless you follow the Hoyostans guide and read all the manga. At the same time, since they stopped doing mangas and put everything in the games I kinda feel like the story gets bogged down by too much fluff that would have been more interesting in a manga.

C'est la vie.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Thank you the story guides, I'll check out the manga when I have the chance.
As for part 2, I'm currently at the part after Coralie was accidentally left behind and they talk about Songque being one of the Shus that separated the bubble universes. I think? They are throwing a lot of information at you so I'm feeling pretty confused about what's going on and what the implications are.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's sounding like time travel is the big gimmick for part 2 since the dude mentioned the legend of the Dreamseekers, and the Senadina dancing video had her dancing through a bunch of different versions of Mars. I think bubble universes is the big concept that newbies just sorta have to pick up on since that seems like the core of Part 2's story, when before part 1 only danced around it till the ending chapters, and it was more of a thing the Captainverse explored. Part 1.5 did try to introduce it more naturally into the story through introducing the idea of how they tend to follow certain laws or rules as well as how they get destroyed.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm not entirely convinced Part 2 has / is going to have a lot of time travel, since Part 1 made it clear that that's somewhere between "impossible" and "a loving enormous deal."

I'm pretty sure the population of Mars that didn't die just got split into a whole bunch of separate bubbles, and also the Shus who are still alive are still alive for scifi magic reasons similar to the surviving Flame Chasers.

Of course, it's early enough that that's a bit of a guess. One thing I will say for Part 2 so far is that they hit the ground running just like Part 1 without the side material. If only there was more of it already.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

AParadox posted:

The table for crystals per patch without events and one time story rewards:

Also a crystal calculator if you want to know the income for a concrete timespan that you can adapt to how you play https://honkaihub.com/calculator

As for events we usually get between 3/4 events per patch 600 crystal each so you can add that. I would say dedicated f2p can usually get between 60-70 pulls per patch depending on how generous it is.

Used that site and decided to budget about 30 pulls to Luna.

Did 50 instead because I have poor self control when it comes to gambling as long as I'm not spending money.

Did not get Luna. Oh well I guess I'm close to pity for sword whip lady.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Got the S-rank battlesuit option and there's quite a few to choose from. While I know for the story I'll have access to the trial characters, for the other modes is there any standout character that I should prioritize?

List of ones I don't have that I can choose from:
Herrscher of Thunder, Azure Empyrea, Stygian Nymph, Molotov Cherry, Argent Knight: Artemis, Vermillion Knight: Eclipse, Phoenix, Shadow Knight, Celestial Hymn, Black Nucleus, Violet Executer, Blood Rose, Knight Moonbeam, Lightning Empress, Dimension Breaker

There are so many contradictory opinions on who is still good so I'm kinda lost. I was thinking Herrscher of Thunder.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Zebia posted:

Got the S-rank battlesuit option and there's quite a few to choose from. While I know for the story I'll have access to the trial characters, for the other modes is there any standout character that I should prioritize?

Herrscher of Thunder, Azure Empyrea, Stygian Nymph, Molotov Cherry, Argent Knight: Artemis, Vermillion Knight: Eclipse, Phoenix, Shadow Knight, Celestial Hymn, Black Nucleus, Violet Executer, Blood Rose, Knight Moonbeam, Lightning Empress, Dimension Breaker

There are so many contradictory opinions on who is still good so I'm kinda lost. I was thinking Herrscher of Thunder.

Everyone here is farmable so don't sweat it too much who you choose. Herrscher of Thunder is indeed the best of the bunch and can still perform fine in Abyss and Memorial Arena(MA). Lightning Empress is also a mainstay in MA. Knight Moonbeam, Molotov Cherry, Vermillion Knight: Eclipse and Blood Rose are more niche MA picks, useful for an old account grinding high score in MA. If you don't have Herrscher of the truth, Azure Empyrea is her predecessor, a powerful generalist elemental support that can fit in a lot of teams, bit of a pain in the rear end to play and specialized farmable SP supports usually can do the job better.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Zebia posted:

Azure Empyrean was the "must have" elemental support before Herrscher Of Truth, I never liked playing her too much in trials (and never got her, she wasn't farmable until recently) though. She's probably the "correct" choice.

Herrscher Of Thunder is the only one here that I still have in use, she needs her second unique weapon to really hit "End of Part 1" power levels and has been power crept, but she's still pretty strong and fun to play. Plus, in the Shicksal HQ Open World she can just ride her dragon around at will, which saves a good bit of time on that.
Definitely not a bad pick.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
That was a good update. It had crazy exposition and faces and Perception and Coralie being the best and a sad dog and a pretty dude and a boss fight with a demonic dog mecha piloted by a talking dog.

I was hoping Part 2 would bring the combat up to APHO's standard and with the first real test of that (boss on hard) I don't quite think it did, but to be fair APHO isn't APHO without Carole and her charge attacks either. New character teased at the end looks cool, should she look familiar to me besides her coat reminding me of Kafka Star Rail?

"By reversing yesterday and tomorrow, and everything in between, by some standards, this seemingly impossible task is surprisingly easy to accomplish."

That is some A+ narration there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Herrscher of Origin is going to be free in 7.4. Again. If you don't already have that version of Raiden Mei when the Part 1 finale launched.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How does this game work now with the old story and the new? I'm assuming you can skip right to the new story but still go back and play the old one if you are jumping on now? I loaded it up briefly last fall and ran around some ships in the sky doing some fights but ended up bailing before getting too far in the tutorial because the interface was awkward and I had plenty of other games to play.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

bagrada posted:

How does this game work now with the old story and the new? I'm assuming you can skip right to the new story but still go back and play the old one if you are jumping on now? I loaded it up briefly last fall and ran around some ships in the sky doing some fights but ended up bailing before getting too far in the tutorial because the interface was awkward and I had plenty of other games to play.

You can jump into Part 2 after finishing the tutorial and getting your Captain level to 30. Yeah you can always jump around to old chapters in the story. Gonna guess the new player experience would just be doing the tutorial and doing whatever the starter manual recommends even if that ends up being super confusing up-front (especially when it leads you into elysian realm and the open world maps).

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Allarion posted:

You can jump into Part 2 after finishing the tutorial and getting your Captain level to 30. Yeah you can always jump around to old chapters in the story. Gonna guess the new player experience would just be doing the tutorial and doing whatever the starter manual recommends even if that ends up being super confusing up-front (especially when it leads you into elysian realm and the open world maps).

Yeah that's been my experience so far.

On a related note, I checked that story guide again and wow I have way more reading to do than I realized, both in game and out with the chronicles and mangas in addition to just the normal story.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's ok to just accept having a patchwork knowledge of the story. There's too much outside material for any one person to grasp all of it. The game itself links to the manga directly to try to fill in holes though.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, I was listening to Honkai World Diva because at some point Youtube decided that whenever I'm listening to music on Youtube I'll probably want to listen to that if it's a click away (and it's right), and I was thinking "man, it sucks that Mei's villain arc having no villainy sorta robbed us of a Herrscher Of Thunder boss fight, ideally with a version of this song playing."

Then I went "wait wasn't there a playable fight before the cutscene fight," and there was, and it's good, and why the gently caress isn't this fight in Memorial Arena? Ideally with a boss arrangement of Honkai World Diva, but even without one, a cutsceneless version of that fight would certainly be better than loving Argent Knight Artemis, Aesir Heimdall, and loving Deathly Doom.

It feels like such a waste.

Also holy poo poo replaying that boss fight and rewatching that video reminded me of how much that chapter loving slapped. Easily one of Hoyo's highest highs right there.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's odd cause Rita's and Durandal are in Memorial Arena and they're playable and had a face turn. Why no HoT or Senti?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain France posted:

So, I was listening to Honkai World Diva because at some point Youtube decided that whenever I'm listening to music on Youtube I'll probably want to listen to that if it's a click away (and it's right), and I was thinking "man, it sucks that Mei's villain arc having no villainy sorta robbed us of a Herrscher Of Thunder boss fight, ideally with a version of this song playing."

Then I went "wait wasn't there a playable fight before the cutscene fight," and there was, and it's good, and why the gently caress isn't this fight in Memorial Arena? Ideally with a boss arrangement of Honkai World Diva, but even without one, a cutsceneless version of that fight would certainly be better than loving Argent Knight Artemis, Aesir Heimdall, and loving Deathly Doom.

It feels like such a waste.

Also holy poo poo replaying that boss fight and rewatching that video reminded me of how much that chapter loving slapped. Easily one of Hoyo's highest highs right there.

Kinda is a bit of wasted potential when the very first boss fight in GGZ is against Herrscher of Thunder Mei, in the exact same spot where the fight in Chapter 17 happens, with Honkai World Diva also playing in the background (it's basically Mei's theme and I had the dumbest grin on my face when an instrumental remix of it played during Acheron's trailer in HSR).

I'm guessing she's not a Memorial Arena fight because it's a fight you're not really meant to win in the story? But there's ways around that surely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

free ancient legacy might get me to Sirin....at last...?

stay tuned

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Just wanted to say Herrscher of Sentience Fu Hua is very fun to play as and I wish more characters were like her.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yatta!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Man, I know it has vocals and played during Honkai Impact 3rd, but does "Amazing Grace" really belong on a video of all the Honkai vocal songs?

Video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HoLuVQg-s

"Bunny Jump" to "Befall" is hella whiplash. GGZ stuff is cool, I really should dig into that more somehow sometime, it's got a lot of cool looking concepts and characters while also being a weird alternate version of a thing I love (I know technically the thing I love is the weird alternate version, but we never got the original in English), and that is always fascinating. Also some good songs. Particularly like End Of Day and Sin Mal's theme.

New event is a good "chill out and listen to music" handmover, probably the best for that in a while whose gameplay isn't just Honkai Impact 3rd. Just actually started it today, why I did that instead of playing the Star Rail update I don't know.

Nice art, too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain France posted:

Man, I know it has vocals and played during Honkai Impact 3rd, but does "Amazing Grace" really belong on a video of all the Honkai vocal songs?

Video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HoLuVQg-s

"Bunny Jump" to "Befall" is hella whiplash. GGZ stuff is cool, I really should dig into that more somehow sometime, it's got a lot of cool looking concepts and characters while also being a weird alternate version of a thing I love (I know technically the thing I love is the weird alternate version, but we never got the original in English), and that is always fascinating. Also some good songs. Particularly like End Of Day and Sin Mal's theme.

New event is a good "chill out and listen to music" handmover, probably the best for that in a while whose gameplay isn't just Honkai Impact 3rd. Just actually started it today, why I did that instead of playing the Star Rail update I don't know.

Nice art, too.

I'm happy to answer any GGZ related questions you have. Though up until Chapter 10 or so, the events of the Retrospective arc of GGZ basically line up 1 to 1 with the past of HI3, it only really diverges towards the end into its own thing. Then everything after that is totally different too e.g. GGZ's Earth is a post-Project Stigma world and stigmata play a much larger role in its narrative, while HI3's Earth isn't and the trio are trying to prevent Project Stigma.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I guess they've just stopped doing the birthday letters? That's like the third this year and no letters for any of them. That's a big shame because I liked those and it really made the cast feel more alive than Genshins.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Eimi posted:

I guess they've just stopped doing the birthday letters? That's like the third this year and no letters for any of them. That's a big shame because I liked those and it really made the cast feel more alive than Genshins.

dead game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

We’ll see if the Part 2 cast has birthday celebrations. If not I’ll be sad to see it all stop.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Selenephos posted:

I'm happy to answer any GGZ related questions you have. Though up until Chapter 10 or so, the events of the Retrospective arc of GGZ basically line up 1 to 1 with the past of HI3, it only really diverges towards the end into its own thing. Then everything after that is totally different too e.g. GGZ's Earth is a post-Project Stigma world and stigmata play a much larger role in its narrative, while HI3's Earth isn't and the trio are trying to prevent Project Stigma.

Well, here's a question that immediately comes to mind:
Can you elaborate on the Project Stigma thing? Because GGZ having a Project Stigma that looks at all like what we eventually got in HI3 would really shoot a hole in my "they completely changed what Project Stigma was pretty late because they didn't want the Flame Chasers to be on board with killing as many people as Raven implied" theory. And also would patch up the "the version of Project Stigma we got was a bit of an asspull though" hole in various Genshin theories, too.

Actually also is it ever explained in HI3 how they did Project Stigma? I mean I guess it'd just be technobabble anyways but it really feels like they just decided to fo it and then everyone was either in Stigma Space or on the moon.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain France posted:

Well, here's a question that immediately comes to mind:
Can you elaborate on the Project Stigma thing? Because GGZ having a Project Stigma that looks at all like what we eventually got in HI3 would really shoot a hole in my "they completely changed what Project Stigma was pretty late because they didn't want the Flame Chasers to be on board with killing as many people as Raven implied" theory. And also would patch up the "the version of Project Stigma we got was a bit of an asspull though" hole in various Genshin theories, too.

Actually also is it ever explained in HI3 how they did Project Stigma? I mean I guess it'd just be technobabble anyways but it really feels like they just decided to fo it and then everyone was either in Stigma Space or on the moon.

I think HI3's original idea of Project Stigma from Chapters 13 and 14 did happen first, it's just that GGZ's version of it became the basis for what it would become in the finale of Part 1 at some point. Although, I'm pretty sure the Retrospective arc had ended by that point of GGZ and its final shot after Kiana as the Herrscher of Finality destroyed the world is an unknown voice confirming that Finality happened, that it was "preparing the rebirth module" to begin recreating the world anew. This is later revealed to be the Stigmata terminal overseeing Earth. So... maybe? It could be that HI3 wanted to do it's own different version of Project Stigma around the same time GGZ had an idea of how it wanted to do its version and at some point Mihoyo decided to just make them the same idea to maintain consistency? So I genuinely don't know the answer to your first question.

As for how they did Project Stigma in HI3, it is kept vague in HI3 but I'd imagine it's from Dr. MEI studying Herrscher stigmata and finding a way to utilize it for humanity. In the Previous Era, it's really the stigmata which grants powers and the Herrscher core is just the conduit linked to the Cocoon of Finality which grants the stigmata the authority to use those powers. It's different in the Current Era, something either Elysia's sacrifice or Prometheus becoming the Will of Honkai did disrupted how it works, which is why you have characters like Owl who has no stigmata and could only resist the Honkai by becoming a cyborg, become a Herrscher in the current era.

In GGZ, how that version of Dr. MEI implemented Project Stigma is due to discovering Kiana in the era previous to Retrospective (known as Era: ZERO) carrying Finality in her own stigmata. But Dr. MEI in GGZ is a wildly different character than her HI3 counterpart; HI3 Dr. MEI was a person who made bad judgments but genuinely wanted the best for humanity and did the best she could with a lovely deck of cards and she came to the conclusion that Project Stigma was the best chance of survival but the worst choice morally to actually action. GGZ Dr. MEI was a legit misanthropic sociopath who initially developed the idea of Project Stigma not to protect humanity against the Honkai (though this is what it was morphed into later), but because she legitimately hated humanity and the state of the current world and she was arrogant enough to believe she could rule a new world as a God and define new laws for this world under her rule (if this is sounding similar the Primordial One from Genshin, then... yeah, I have my own theories about what's really going on in Teyvat). She also intentionally created Herrschers and let them cause destruction for the sake of science, before sending Kiana in to take them out. Annnnnnd speaking of Kiana, Dr. MEI in GGZ was incredibly toxic and abusive towards her, making her emotionally needy and dependent on Dr. MEI through toxic affection and manipulation as a way to control Kiana and make her stay loyal to her. Then when Kiana died, Dr. MEI used her corpse as the basis for the Stigmata Terminal, turning her into a biocomputer to manage and oversee Project Stigma. It's why stigmata in GGZ are essentially watered down Herrscher authorities, all stigmata have Finality in it, though that happened by complete accident due to Kiana being the Herrscher of Finality since all it was really meant to do is ensure that memories, appearance and the state of the world would be inherited.

As for why Raiden Mei is a sweetheart and isn't as morally warped as Dr. MEI, despite inheriting her stigmata from birth in GGZ? It's a combination of three factors; the first is that Dr. MEI didn't want her future incarnations in the Project Stigma world to make the same mistakes she did so she deliberately altered her memories. The second is that her father, Raiden Ryoma and all of Anti-Entropy were on alert when they noticed that stigmata and did everything they could to inhibit the stigmata's influence on Mei, even if the event sort of traumatized Mei as a child. The third and final reason is simply that Raiden Mei met Kiana far earlier than Dr. MEI met her version of Kiana, at a point where she wasn't a complete and total misanthrope. Genuinely, Kiana caring about her made Mei not resent humanity and become a better person because of it.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 29, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Project Stigma is just the Human Instrumentality Project and Spiritual Adam is the giant Rei. You just gotta work backwards from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eej posted:

Project Stigma is just the Human Instrumentality Project and Spiritual Adam is the giant Rei. You just gotta work backwards from there.

Basically. Yes. I believe Gray Serpent even described Spiritual Adam as "a giant that resembles a planet".

It's why I suspect Genshin is also a post-Stigma world, but for reasons unrelated to the Honkai, perhaps for more colonial and malicious intent and Irminsul is essentially the stigmata terminal connecting everyone in Teyvat to it. The descenders are considered dangerous because they don't adhere to the laws of Teyvat and are seen as a threat by the Primordial One. That's how I'm interpreting it. If GGZ Dr. MEI originally designed Project Stigma for malicious reasons and it ended up being repurposed to save humanity from the Honkai, why wouldn't there be a variant world in the universe where someone like her used it for her original intent, becoming the Primordial One? Colonizing and terraforming a world and defeating the dragons?

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 29, 2024