Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Let's play a classic game from 1995!

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat

This action game features lots of mechs, customization and great soundeffects..and the OST is still one of the best game soundtracks till this day.

There is a lot of lore in the BattleMech universe, but I'll be focusing more on the combat and this will be a pretty casual playthrough. I do plan on showcasing all the different battle/ui mechanics and do some custom mech setups as well. The goal is to finish the two campaigns (Clan Wolf VS Clan Jade Falcon) and if we get any optional mission objectives that's a bonus.

Here's an interview with the composer (Jeehun Hwang), which has some nice background info about the OST: https://web.archive.org/web/20140916021032/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov98/articles/jeehun.htm

This game has had a couple of different releases but I'll be playing the DOS version on DosBox. This will be a video playthrough and I welcome any suggestions for trying out different mech layouts. We can experiments with missile-heavy mechs, jumpjets, high-speed glass cannons and anything in between. Of course, the nature of the mission and terrain will influence our mech choices as well.

The game comes with a cool 81-page instruction booklet that has all kinds of info about the different mechs, weapons and game options. You can find a pdf of it at the BattleTech wiki: https://www.sarna.net/files/download/docs/products/manuals/mechwarrior_2.pdf.

The videos

Clan Wolf campaign:
Part 1 [Cadet training + mission 1: Pyre Light]
Part 2 [mission 2: Flame Tongue]
Part 3 [mission 3: Blade Splint + mission 4: Temper Edge]
Part 4 [mission 5: Trial 1 + mission 6: Sable Flame]
Part 5 [mission 7: Burning Chrome]
Part 6 [mission 8: Scorching Sand + mission 9: Trial 2]
Part 7 [mission 10: Silver Staff]
Part 8 [mission 11: Aquiline Fire]
Part 9 [mission 12: Trial 3 + mission 13: Cold Crescent]
Part 10 [mission 14: Velvet Hammer]
Part 11 [mission 15: Golden Spade + mission 16: Trial 4]

Clan Jade Falcon campaign:
Part 12 [mission 1: Silent Thunder]
Part 13 [mission 2: Arkham Bridge]
Part 14 [mission 3: Mirror Cage + mission 4: Bone Machine]
Part 15 [mission 5: Trial 1 + mission 6: Bouk Obelisk]
Part 16 [mission 7: Umber Wall + mission 8: Rogue Chariot]
Part 17 [mission 9: Trial 2 + mission 10: Plum Wine]
Part 18 [mission 11: Rust Heart + mission 12: Trial 3 + mission 13: Armor Veil]
Part 19 [mission 14: Iron Piston + mission 15: Bronze Anvil + mission 16: Trial 4]

Ghost Bear's Legacy expansion:
Part 20 [mission 1: Trial on Alshain]
Part 21 [mission 2: Defend on Mannedorf]
Part 22 [mission 3: Patrol on Mannedorf + mission 3: Trial on Alshain + mission 5: Defend on Chandler]
Part 23 [mission 6: Strike on Chandler + mission 7: Strike on Wolcott + mission 8: Circle of Equals]
Part 24 [mission 9: Raid on Jeanette + mission 10: Defend on Jumpship + mission 11: Trial of Possession]
Part 25 [mission 12: Defend on Alshain and 5 bonus missions]

Bonus:
Creating a trainer

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh man, I think I tried to understand this game when I was 10, and absolutely did not comprehend jack poo poo because it was in English and when I was 10 I did not know any English.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh man, I think I tried to understand this game when I was 10, and absolutely did not comprehend jack poo poo because it was in English and when I was 10 I did not know any English.

Haha well even when you speak English the learning curve is pretty steep..there's so many keys for the controls and later on you also get to command squad mates!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This was a very formative game for me back in the day. I would draw the mechs and maps in class and stuff. It's the first game I really got into the multiplayer and first time I joined a gaming clan. Netmech was the poo poo and I had so much fun and I wish it still had an active player base. Hell I don't even know if it's still playable these days; maybe with something like Hamachi?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 23, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vitamin Me posted:

Haha well even when you speak English the learning curve is pretty steep..there's so many keys for the controls and later on you also get to command squad mates!

That's why I had this bad boy

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Oh, hey, I remember this one! I was never any GOOD at it, but I remember it! I can guarantee I never played it multiplayer, though; I don't think I ever actually got home internet until they started phasing DOS out... well, that and I hate PVP.

As for viewer-suggested builds... why not try an Autocannon Nova (as in, Nova exclusively armed with autocannons), for the lulz? I don't remember ever really trying autocannons, since I hated ammo management, but I'd like to see if they're viable weapons. Though admittedly, it might be hard to fit more than, like, two or three on there and still load them... even if you stick with those wimpy AC/2s that look like they're basically machine guns with range.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Oh, hey, I remember this one! I was never any GOOD at it, but I remember it! I can guarantee I never played it multiplayer, though; I don't think I ever actually got home internet until they started phasing DOS out... well, that and I hate PVP.

As for viewer-suggested builds... why not try an Autocannon Nova (as in, Nova exclusively armed with autocannons), for the lulz? I don't remember ever really trying autocannons, since I hated ammo management, but I'd like to see if they're viable weapons. Though admittedly, it might be hard to fit more than, like, two or three on there and still load them... even if you stick with those wimpy AC/2s that look like they're basically machine guns with range.

AC's are pretty powerful, but I always leaned towards lasers and ppcs..might be fun to try out this Nova build the coming mission, now I'm curious as well! Should be viable as the enemies are still pretty weak...

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

This was a very formative game for me back in the day. I would draw the mechs and maps in class and stuff. It's the first game I really got into the multiplayer and first time I joined a gaming clan. Netmech was the poo poo and I had so much fun and I wish it still had an active player base. Hell I don't even know if it's still playable these days; maybe with something like Hamachi?

Oh awesome! I never did any multiplayer, frankly I didn't even know you could play this game PVP..I'll have to check that out

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Azhais posted:

That's why I had this bad boy

That thing looks happy to see me

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

run a fire moth with as much speed and as many small lasers as you can fit. turbo can-opener

please and thank you

e: also could you increase the game audio a bit? it's hard to hear the dialogue in comparison to your voice

biosterous fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 23, 2024

Battle Hamster
Mar 21, 2007

Vitamin Me posted:

..and the OST is still one of the best game soundtracks till this day.

100% agree on this. Still regularly have it on in the background when I'm doing work.

Like others this was my first introduction to Battletech. Still remember assuming that the PPC energy balls in MW2 were what they were meant to look like and being initially dismissive of their MW3 portrayal. Until I started reading the books...

I think my builds tended towards lasers and LRMs - weapons I could actually see on the screen - rather than ACs or Gausses.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

biosterous posted:

run a fire moth with as much speed and as many small lasers as you can fit. turbo can-opener

please and thank you

e: also could you increase the game audio a bit? it's hard to hear the dialogue in comparison to your voice

A firemoth? ok i'll give it a shot but I doubt i'll get anywhere lol. Yeah I'll fix the audio, unfortunately I already recorded the next vid..but it's mostly me talking over the mech setup screen so..

Battle Hamster posted:

100% agree on this. Still regularly have it on in the background when I'm doing work.

Like others this was my first introduction to Battletech. Still remember assuming that the PPC energy balls in MW2 were what they were meant to look like and being initially dismissive of their MW3 portrayal. Until I started reading the books...

I think my builds tended towards lasers and LRMs - weapons I could actually see on the screen - rather than ACs or Gausses.

Yeah same, the lasers are pretty satisfying and it's clear if you're actually aiming right. I did a lot of test with ACs because of a request earlier in the thread, and my god, these thing can blow you up just by looking at them. (Also lasers have the big advantage of not having to walk around with tons of very explodable ammo)

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 23, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

mmm Robits.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Part 2 is out! Managed to beat the mission with a Autocannon Nova build, but it took some tries..

The vid is pretty dry with me talking about mech setup, so I added some timestamps for those who want to skip around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOsr0W4cF8Q

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Seems the thread consensus is "lasers > all" here, since I've already mentioned preferring them due to laziness. Like, if you asked me to pick one weapon to build a Mech around today, I'd probably pick the ER MLas; good combination of range, power, mass, and heat management, there, and it doesn't have the Pulse Laser "second shot phases through targets" issue I only found out about recently.

And yay, my suggested build made it in already! ...I'm sure none of us will hold it against you if you have issues with a suggested build, and nobody will hold a grudge if you need to switch to something more suitable, though.

You're definitely braver than I am, since you deployed with exactly one gun; I'd at least try for two as a minimum. Both because symmetry and because dakka.

...anyway, next mission gives you a lot of weight to play with, so let's see... Rifleman seems like a good chassis; as for weapons... let's try 2 Gauss (one in each arm) and 4 Streak SRM-4; that seems like it'll give you a lot of firepower while still leaving plenty of space for everything else you'll need (ammo, heat sinks, armor, etc.), right?

Battle Hamster
Mar 21, 2007
Completely forgot about the satellite uplink in the game - quite satisfying to use it as you did to avoid shots from multiple chasing enemies. Attempt to avoid at least...

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Seems the thread consensus is "lasers > all" here, since I've already mentioned preferring them due to laziness. Like, if you asked me to pick one weapon to build a Mech around today, I'd probably pick the ER MLas; good combination of range, power, mass, and heat management, there, and it doesn't have the Pulse Laser "second shot phases through targets" issue I only found out about recently.

And yay, my suggested build made it in already! ...I'm sure none of us will hold it against you if you have issues with a suggested build, and nobody will hold a grudge if you need to switch to something more suitable, though.

You're definitely braver than I am, since you deployed with exactly one gun; I'd at least try for two as a minimum. Both because symmetry and because dakka.

...anyway, next mission gives you a lot of weight to play with, so let's see... Rifleman seems like a good chassis; as for weapons... let's try 2 Gauss (one in each arm) and 4 Streak SRM-4; that seems like it'll give you a lot of firepower while still leaving plenty of space for everything else you'll need (ammo, heat sinks, armor, etc.), right?

Taking on missions with mech layouts I've never done before has been a fun challenge..but yes, if it becomes too difficult i'll get back to my comfort zone ;)

Battle Hamster posted:

Completely forgot about the satellite uplink in the game - quite satisfying to use it as you did to avoid shots from multiple chasing enemies. Attempt to avoid at least...

If you enjoy the satellite uplink, you're going to see plenty more of it!

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Ok part 3 is live, continuing the streak of 'weird' builds. For the third mission, I made the 'turbo can-opener' as suggested. Also used the Rifleman for mission 4, decided to go for a missile-only layout, just for fun. Made the mission kind of a slog though, constantly waiting for reloads..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNn1ylXngw

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
As a kid: unable to get into Mechwarrior 2 because I don't understand the language.

As an adult: unable to get into Mechwarrior 2 because I have to play as a clanner.

Now if only I'd played the game as a teen, I'd have understood enough English to play and I would've been just the right(wrong?) age to think Clanners were super cool.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

As an adult: unable to get into Mechwarrior 2 because I have to play as a clanner.
There's a spinoff/alternate version where you play as an Inner Sphere mercenary. Would that appeal to you?

edit: Okay, just watched the update, and... well, that was a Rifleman, albeit one that bore little resemblance to the one I suggested. (And yes, LRMs, and the Streak SRM I actually requested, have homing capabilities.) I'm not quite petty enough to request a MG Jenner as punishment, but I'll still request the Jenner itself... just with a more reasonable loadout of 2x ER MLas and 2x SRM-4.

Side-note, Vitamin seems to be taking way too much ammo on missions. You could've easily finished that one with 5 tons of ammo per launcher, for example.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 24, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hell yeah, Mechwarrior 2 :hist101: I think I got pretty far into the campaigns as a kid, but the soundtrack is just seared into my soul. I appropriated the CD to use as background music for other games back then, so I have a weird association with Settlers 2 and the MW2 music.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Part 4 is live! Pretty short video, we do a trial and one mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_76su1Ggyk

The next mission will have a primary objective of just destroying a building, with all secondary stuff destroying mechs.
What do you guys suggest..are we going to crush any and all opposition? Or are we sneaking in with a fast mech and just take out the primary objective?

At this point we've got plenty of mech choices!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

On that atmosphereless world, could you have fired your missiles over the mountain ridge (aim for the sky) after they locked onto the enemy mech? I remember at least trying that, but I can't remember if it works.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

On that atmosphereless world, could you have fired your missiles over the mountain ridge (aim for the sky) after they locked onto the enemy mech? I remember at least trying that, but I can't remember if it works.

That's an interesting question, and I made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL67z689o9k

You have a certain margin around the crosshair where your lock stays valid. You need to be close to an obstacle to fire over it..if you're too far away the missiles can't fire high enough without them aiming towards the target and hitting the obstacle.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's the same rules as with the homing missile in Worms Armageddon, it has to have a smooth enough trajectory around the obstacles, it seems.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

The next mission will have a primary objective of just destroying a building, with all secondary stuff destroying mechs.
What do you guys suggest..are we going to crush any and all opposition? Or are we sneaking in with a fast mech and just take out the primary objective?

At this point we've got plenty of mech choices!
This might not be a viable alternative, but I'm kinda thinking you could try something heavy enough it could theoretically kill everything, while still being light enough to make a break for the objective if things start going south.

...Mad Dog with 8 ER MLas? (Yes, I've got a bit of an ER MLas obsession here.)

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

This might not be a viable alternative, but I'm kinda thinking you could try something heavy enough it could theoretically kill everything, while still being light enough to make a break for the objective if things start going south.

I like the 8 lasers, I'll see if I can make a fun Mad Dog!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

CptWedgie posted:

I think you mean Mad Dog with 8 MGs! A classic straight from the strategy guide.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

New vid is out!

We just did one mission this time, Burning Chrome. This is the first time we start working with teammates, which is kind of a mixed bag..in this level especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03GqSAJbC8

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Your buddy helped a little, but they seem more trouble than they're worth if the level contains any geometry

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Your buddy helped a little, but they seem more trouble than they're worth if the level contains any geometry

Yup, I must say the teammate kept up an impressive rate of ppc's..so I'll keep using them, but they need some babysitting sometimes..

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...That's some of the worst pathfinding I've ever seen. Too bad about that (near as I can tell) lucky shot you took in the first attempt; basically blew you up instantly.

Anyway, I think I've given enough builds that I should probably step back a bit and let someone else get a suggestion or two in. ...For future reference: Are you open to teammate suggestions?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

...That's some of the worst pathfinding I've ever seen. Too bad about that (near as I can tell) lucky shot you took in the first attempt; basically blew you up instantly.

Anyway, I think I've given enough builds that I should probably step back a bit and let someone else get a suggestion or two in. ...For future reference: Are you open to teammate suggestions?

I'll probably pick something myself the coming 1-2 missions..but sure, so far not many other folks are suggesting stuff so if you've got teammate ideas lets hear em

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Oh the nostalgia, thanks for this! I still remember one mission where your bounty offers you double the price if you just leave and turn around. I was so shocked that this was an option as a kid and laughed so hard as I ran back to the drop ship.

Young me really loved missles. I especially liked the absurdly long range "Arrow" where I could just dumpster an enemy while being completely untouchable by any of their weapons.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Guper posted:

Oh the nostalgia, thanks for this! I still remember one mission where your bounty offers you double the price if you just leave and turn around. I was so shocked that this was an option as a kid and laughed so hard as I ran back to the drop ship.

Young me really loved missles. I especially liked the absurdly long range "Arrow" where I could just dumpster an enemy while being completely untouchable by any of their weapons.

I don't remember bounties being in this game, maybe you mean the sequel Mechwarrior Mercenaries? Depending on the weight limit of the coming mission I might mix in some more missiles =) I did a 100% missile build in an earlier level, but the reload times were too slow (and I brough way too much ammo)..so maybe I can balance that a bit more with both short and long range missiles.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Stick a bunch of streak SRMS on your buddies if you want them to visibly contribute. Extra ammo is a must of course.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Vitamin Me posted:

I don't remember bounties being in this game, maybe you mean the sequel Mechwarrior Mercenaries? Depending on the weight limit of the coming mission I might mix in some more missiles =) I did a 100% missile build in an earlier level, but the reload times were too slow (and I brough way too much ammo)..so maybe I can balance that a bit more with both short and long range missiles.

You're right, it was Mercenaries, my mistake!

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

A new video is upon us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKF_-RA6jo4

In all my wisdom I decided to make a mech with some different kinds of missiles, which instantly destroyed 90% of my weapons once the ammo got hit. There's also a trial in this video which was a challenge as well..the wave I had to beat to get the second rank contained a Rifleman which destroyed me a couple of times.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I played this game a ton when it first came out, it was one of my first PC games, alongside SimCity 2000 and Civilization II. It was the "Pentium Edition", with a bug that prevented the Tutorial missions from being played. I never did figure out how to make custom loadouts, but I managed to beat both campaigns with the default mechs and configurations for each mission. I didn't get the hang of commanding teammates either and soloed everything. Some of the later misisons got tough as hell playing that way, but I persevered.

At any rate, I have fond memories of the game and the soundtrack, still as ever, is an all-time great. I also happened to recently pick up a copy of the Ghost Bear's Legacy expansion disc from a local record shop which was clearing some CDs out during the last RSD. Haven't played it yet, but this LP kind of lit a bit of a fire under me and I want to try playing again. Also I need to get my copy of MW3 installed/working again; nostalgic as MW2 makes me, I always preferred playing 3, it was just that much more user-friendly and the mech lab felt more intuitive to use. Glad to see this getting some love nevertheless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

I played this game a ton when it first came out, it was one of my first PC games, alongside SimCity 2000 and Civilization II. It was the "Pentium Edition", with a bug that prevented the Tutorial missions from being played. I never did figure out how to make custom loadouts, but I managed to beat both campaigns with the default mechs and configurations for each mission. I didn't get the hang of commanding teammates either and soloed everything. Some of the later misisons got tough as hell playing that way, but I persevered.

At any rate, I have fond memories of the game and the soundtrack, still as ever, is an all-time great. I also happened to recently pick up a copy of the Ghost Bear's Legacy expansion disc from a local record shop which was clearing some CDs out during the last RSD. Haven't played it yet, but this LP kind of lit a bit of a fire under me and I want to try playing again. Also I need to get my copy of MW3 installed/working again; nostalgic as MW2 makes me, I always preferred playing 3, it was just that much more user-friendly and the mech lab felt more intuitive to use. Glad to see this getting some love nevertheless!

Cool, always nice to find some old games from the local shop! Glad to hear this got you inspired, I don't quite remember if I ever played MW3, but I'm pretty sure I beat MW Mercenaries..who knows, I might continue a LP for that one after this. MW 2 has always been the most nostalgic for me, and the simple polygon graphics make you really focus on the action and strategy..Anyhow, let us know if you get all the old games working!