Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
It really bothers me that you're hating on the Streaks when you aren't even using them right. I mean, you're just shooting as fast as possible instead of actually waiting for them to get a lock; of course they're nothing special if you use them like that! If that's how you want to use missiles, you're honestly better off with the normal SRM instead, since the launchers weigh half as much and work just as well for that playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

It really bothers me that you're hating on the Streaks when you aren't even using them right. I mean, you're just shooting as fast as possible instead of actually waiting for them to get a lock; of course they're nothing special if you use them like that! If that's how you want to use missiles, you're honestly better off with the normal SRM instead, since the launchers weigh half as much and work just as well for that playstyle.

Yeah I read in the manual that they're a locking/homing type, but in the heat of the action it kinda got lost haha. What is really the difference between streaks and SRM (or LRM for that matter)? Is a mech with just streaks a viable build?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

Yeah I read in the manual that they're a locking/homing type, but in the heat of the action it kinda got lost haha. What is really the difference between streaks and SRM (or LRM for that matter)? Is a mech with just streaks a viable build?
The differences between Streaks and standard SRM are as follows:

* Streak launchers (but not the missiles) weigh twice as much.
* Streak SRM-6 (and only the 6 variant) takes up two slots.
* Streaks can lock onto targets within their range if you hover the crosshairs over them for about a second, the same as LRM; when locked on, the missiles chase targets even if they try to sidestep.

Other than those details, Streaks and standard SRMs are identical in every way.

LRMs, meanwhile, do half damage per missile compared to SRMs (smaller payload to make room for more fuel, at a guess), have roughly twice the range, and can lock on to targets above a certain range (you'd need to test the minimum lock-on range yourself; I don't know it offhand). I vaguely remember that there is at least some overlap between LRM and Streak lock-on ranges, so I'd estimate the LRM's minimum lock-on range at around 300-350.

And yes, the numbers at the end of both SRM and LRM launchers are how many missiles you launch in a single salvo, in case you hadn't figured that out yourself (I'd assume you have, but just to be sure...). Which, in turn, means LRMs make up for weak damage per missile by firing ridiculous swarms of them every time you pull the trigger.

As to whether Streak-only builds are viable... I'd say yes, assuming you remember to bring enough ammo to keep them firing. As previously mentioned, they're literally just standard SRMs that have a guidance system and a heavier launcher, so if a standard SRM build is viable an equivalent Streak build should be at least as viable.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vitamin Me posted:

There's actually quite a few little quirks and idiosyncrasies in how the weapons in the MW2 engine work. Some of it is due to how hard it is to adapt tabletop dice rules to a real-time aim-based shooter, some of it is outright bugs.

(This is all from memory so if anyone spots an error please correct me. Also OH GOD this turned into a wall of text. Sorry.)

There are three types of missiles in the game: LRMs, SRMs, and Streak SRMs. Long range missiles (LRM) are lock-on weapons. You can deadfire them in an emergency and they'll hit anything in a straight line in front of you, but the better way to use them is with the lock so they'll track and follow their target. They fire in groups of 5, 10, 15, or 20 depending on what size launcher you have. The lock takes a few seconds to establish and they take a while to reload. If you're using them when you're maneuvering and under fire you really want to use chain fire instead of letting them all go at once so you can cut the time between volleys even at the expense of burst damage - keeps the enemy on their toes and it makes heat easier to manage. If you're at the outer edge of their range (~1km or so) and it'll take them time to close with you, then you can cut loose and reload/cool down by the time they're in range to shoot at you.

They also cause a big enough explosion that they do some splash damage, so they can hurt other stuff that's right next to your target. You don't want to shoot a bunch of them at something that's right up in your face, or your starmate's. This also causes a fun little glitch where if you fire a whole lot of missiles from the same weapon in the same location on your 'mech really quick all close together they can actually hit each other and blow up right out of the tube, and you get blown up with no clue why. I'm pretty sure this happened to you in one of your early missions, where you tried out an LRM boat.

(Since it was mentioned earlier, indirect fire with locked-on LRMs is totally possible, and occasionally hilarious. They don't start maneuvering right out of the tube, so with practice you can target something behind a hill or other obstacle, lock on, fire, and quickly swing your torso up (or left/right depending on where the obstacle is) and the lock won't break immediately. Your LRMs will follow a direct trajectory for maybe half a second, then turn to point at and close with the target. This can be far enough up or out to get around the terrain blocking line of sight! It works better if you're close to the cover, and worse or not at all if your target is close to their cover.)

SRMs are direct-fire weapons, unguided, with a range about half that of LRMs. They come in launchers that fire 2, 4, or 6 at at time and each individual missile does about twice the damage of an LRM (but no splash, IIRC). They're much more suited to close combat, since they're much more likely to miss the further out you are, but they also can't put the sheer amount of damage on the target per shot since there's simply fewer of them. They can still hit each other out of the tube but I believe it's rarer simply because you're shooting fewer and they don't get so badly crowded. I believe but don't know that their reload time is shorter - also good for a close-in brawl.

(Since they don't lock, the target doesn't get a warning tone that they've been locked on to. This makes them a bit harder to dodge, but with the AI that's not really a big thing to worry about. A player should, however, learn to recognize the lock-on warning yourself and act quickly to avoid getting LRMed to death.)

Streak SRMs (SSRMs) are, as mentioned above, just like standard SRMs except that they can lock on like LRMs do. They are a little more versatile since they can be dead-fired at closer ranges (like you're doing currently) or be fired at medium range (300-500m) more accurately, whereas normal SRMs aren't much of a threat to a target in motion at that distance.

Lasers come in Small, Medium, and Large, and in two types: ER (Extended Range - this is the "normal" laser and the name is a holdover from the tabletop game where the Clanners' lasers have a better effective range than everyone else's. It's confusing but it's okay to ignore) and Pulse. Pulse Lasers fire twice or more in rapid succession, putting more energy into one narrower grouping to do more damage at the expense of shorter range and more heat. Small Lasers of either type do the least damage at the shortest range, Large Lasers the most damage at the longest range, and Medium Lasers are in the middle.

Now here's the thing about lasers: there's a bug that makes them not work exactly as intended. A weapon hit damaging a target causes a little "explosion/smoke" sprite to appear in front of the hit location, and there's a short period of time - a few frames - where this sprite can block further weapon hits. Thus, any weapon that fires too fast can run into the problem that only the first "hit" actually does damage. This makes Pulse Lasers pretty much useless - the second pulse is actually blocked by the damage sprite from the first. Firing ER lasers too rapidly can also trigger this but it's not as common - just pace yourself a little.

ER PPCs are "Extended Range" Particle Projection Cannons. "ER" means the same as lasers above. In the tabletop game, PPCs have a minimum effective range but the Clan ER version does not. They do a whole wallop of damage but in the MW2 engine the "projectile" is very slow-moving and easy to miss with especially on a moving target, and easy to dodge. This means that despite their description as a sniper/long-range weapon, they're best suited for an up-close brawl. They do produce a lot of heat though.

Ballistic weapons I'm less familiar with - I honestly didn't tend to use them much. Machine guns fire rapidly and a single ton of ammo goes a long way, but their damage especially against medium and heavy 'mechs is basically nothing. Good for vehicles and buildings but not worth equipping since this is a game about fighting 'mechs. Autocannons are a scaled-up machine gun, firing a series of slugs (Ultra) or canister shot (LB-X) for either heavy precise or spread-out damage. Both are effective but they fire way too fast so your ammo gets eaten up too quickly to be worth equipping in my experience. The Ultra autocannons are also the ballistic equivalent of Pulse Lasers in that they fire twice in quick succession, and trigger the same issue with the second hit being blocked.

Gauss Rifles are the exception: they do big big damage at extreme range for very little heat, but you have to conserve your ammunition - pick your shots, this is a sniper weapon. It takes a large 'mech to effectively equip and use one of these and it shouldn't be your only weapon due to the ammo issues, but it's hellacious fun when you get good with it.

Note that each category of weapon has its own upsides and downsides. Energy weapons don't use ammo but heat management is a challenge. Missiles generate some heat, reload slowly, and you have to equip and track ammo, but lock-on is invaluable and they can put massive damage on a target. Ballistics don't have a heat problem but chew up your ammo like nobody's business. In addition, there's a small chance that if you take a critical hit to your ammo bins - either for missiles or ballistics - you can have an ammo explosion that will obliterate the part of your 'mech where you kept the ammo. It's usually a bad idea to locate ammo bins in the head or center torso. (Gauss ammo is the exception - but the Gauss Rifle itself tends to explode when hit, unlike other weapons.)

A few more miscellaneous notes:

XL engines, Endo Steel structure, and Ferro-Fibrous armor are lighter than their standard equivalents, but take up more volume (critical slots). This means they're more useful on smaller 'mechs, which tend to be more starved for tonnage than slots. Bigger 'mechs can lug more and larger weapons and need places to fit them in, and ES/FF take up those valuable crit slots.

You'll almost always want to go with Double Heat Sinks because you get some free heat sinks in your engine that don't take up any space, the number depends on the engine size. Making them twice as good is nearly always the way to go unless you're building some kind of all-ballistic thing where you don't have to worry about heat management.

Hand and arm actuators do nothing in this engine (in the tabletop game they let you make punch attacks and can increase firing arcs I think) so any 'mech that doesn't have them has more critical slots to put valuable equipment in.

Maximize your armor. There's some corner cases where you can shuffle around the exact placement (useless arms don't need protection) but generally max out and spread even is the easiest way to do things.

Lastly: Jump jets are pretty fantastic, and I almost always put 2-3 on any custom design. No 'mech is ever going to be a Gundam but when you're in the zone and you can see those LRMs flying at you a quick JJ burst to the side can dodge the whole volley. Same with PPC bolts. Plus the ol' Death From Above is always funny.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 26, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh, and learn to use the targeting shortcuts. Target nearest enemy, target what's under my reticule, cycle through sensor contacts, all valuable time-savers.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I seem to recall that in MW2, you can place any weapon (or jumpjet) in any slot. So, you could have your weapons in your legs and your jumpjets in your arms.

And I think, you'd assign armour in one screen, but then the "blocks" for the armour would have to be assigned somewhere on the 'Mech itself, and that could be wherever you have an empty space.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

lots of mechanics stuff
Very informative, Blue! I don't think I knew about LRMs' AOE property.

If you're talking from memory, I doubt you can answer this, but how do the smallest Autocannons (LB 2-X and Ultra/2) compare to the machine gun re: pure damage output? Just looking at the numbers they look the same, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, especially in a game this old (for all I know the machine gun could be "2 attack power, only inflicts damage once every 5 shots" or something stupid like that).

And yeah, I think I had a habit of taking everything out of the arms so I'd have enough free weight to install all the weapons I want, and shift the armor to the parts I actually need. In hindsight, though, I could've armored the arms too and just used them as shields, even without moving anything into them.

...Isn't there some in-universe name for the act of using jump jets to crush enemy pilots' cockpits under your mech?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CptWedgie posted:

Very informative, Blue! I don't think I knew about LRMs' AOE property.

If you're talking from memory, I doubt you can answer this, but how do the smallest Autocannons (LB 2-X and Ultra/2) compare to the machine gun re: pure damage output? Just looking at the numbers they look the same, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, especially in a game this old (for all I know the machine gun could be "2 attack power, only inflicts damage once every 5 shots" or something stupid like that).

And yeah, I think I had a habit of taking everything out of the arms so I'd have enough free weight to install all the weapons I want, and shift the armor to the parts I actually need. In hindsight, though, I could've armored the arms too and just used them as shields, even without moving anything into them.

...Isn't there some in-universe name for the act of using jump jets to crush enemy pilots' cockpits under your mech?

All I remember about the damage on machine guns vs autocannons is that the machine gun damage was negligible, but the rate of fire was the same - which may be why autocannons chew through ammo like nobody's business. Now that I'm thinking about it I vaguely recall that might be another glitch and autocannons aren't supposed to fire that fast. Maybe it was meant to have a longer reload time?

And yes, that's Death From Above. Hardly ever the best choice from a tactical perspective but who cares, it's awesome!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Also IIRC exploding mechs do damage, so you don't want to be real close when you finish one off, walk through the fire, etc. Usually it's just minor damage you don't need to worry about, but armor points are armor points.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Wow thanks for all the extra info guys, now I want to try out the Death From Above :madmax:

Also using a gauss as a sniper weapon sounds interesting too..I guess it all comes down on if you want to engage from a distance or close by. Levels with urban areas have lots of objects to hide behind and should be perfect for PPC's and SRM/Streaks...the really flat, wide open levels where you see thwm coming from a mile away should use a mix of maybe LRM, large lasers and Gauss. Medium lasers have been a reliable damage dealer in all situations so far.

(edit: PPC's are actually great damage dealers from long distance as well, as a number of levels will just spawn in waves from a distance, and if they walk in a straight line at you, you can do some great early damage)

The next level coming up has a lot to destroy, so I'll check the terrain type and see what suits it best..and maybe jump around a bit more.

..which leads me to another question, how can I get the jump jets to recharge? I've seen that happening although it usually stops after a while.

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 26, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vitamin Me posted:

..which leads me to another question, how can I get the jump jets to recharge? I've seen that happening although it usually stops after a while.

I was puzzled by your comment in one of the videos about the recharging, since my hazy memories from playing the game ages ago was that jump jets always recharged. If we believe random fan forums, and why wouldn't we?, apparently for some unfathomable reason the jump jet recharge rate is somehow tied to the frame rate of the exe(!)

Random forum post posted:

This problem seems to be affected by high framerates, and the only solution until now was to either cheat with unlimited jump jets, or to keep adjusting dosbox cycles up & down to balance a smooth framerate and re-charge your jump jets when needed.

That same thread points to a fan-made patch on github that says it fixes the issue, but up to you if you want to try and get this working or not, might be a chore?

Anyway, just read this nonsense and tell me it makes any loving sense

MW2 fan on github posted:

-Your mech's fuel is stored as an integer value from 0 (0%) to 1820 (100% full).
- The game uses a 182Hz hardware interrupt timer provided by Audio Interface Library to keep track of time, which increments a number by 1 each tick.
- The game intends to give you 1 (0.05%) fuel every 4 ticks of the timer, meaning 45.5 (2.5%) fuel per second, whenever you aren't using the jump jets.
-The game measures the time between the current frame and the last (delta time) by subtracting the timer's current value from the value during the last frame.
-Each frame, the game calculates the amount of fuel to give you by dividing the ticks between frames by 4, so that 4 ticks equal 1 fuel.
-If the timer ticks between frames is 3 or less, that division results in a value less than 1, and computery integer math rounds down to 0, giving you no fuel.
-This means that if your frames are drawing quicker than 45.5 FPS, the game will not recharge your fuel.

It makes sense that I remember it always recharging if this is true, I played the game in native DOS and my piddly Pentium box probably didn't have a prayer of reaching such incredible :ibadpop: FPS.

This reminds me of a puzzle in a Leisure Suit Larry game where a minigame is tied to the processor clock speed, and with a fast enough processor (game came out in the 386 era) the minigame becomes unwinnable. Weird design decisions, but I guess it made sense at the time?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I was puzzled by your comment in one of the videos about the recharging, since my hazy memories from playing the game ages ago was that jump jets always recharged. If we believe random fan forums, and why wouldn't we?, apparently for some unfathomable reason the jump jet recharge rate is somehow tied to the frame rate of the exe(!)

That same thread points to a fan-made patch on github that says it fixes the issue, but up to you if you want to try and get this working or not, might be a chore?

Anyway, just read this nonsense and tell me it makes any loving sense

It makes sense that I remember it always recharging if this is true, I played the game in native DOS and my piddly Pentium box probably didn't have a prayer of reaching such incredible :ibadpop: FPS.

This reminds me of a puzzle in a Leisure Suit Larry game where a minigame is tied to the processor clock speed, and with a fast enough processor (game came out in the 386 era) the minigame becomes unwinnable. Weird design decisions, but I guess it made sense at the time?

Haha awesome, can't believe someone actually messed with the DOS code in a patch. For now I'm not going to try and install that, but now that I know the cause I'll see if I can drop my cycles and see if that works. After a recharge I could reset the cycles again, this should work if there's some time in between battles..

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rappaport posted:

Spacewar was the first thing I played with that issue, it had no fps limits. The first time I played it on a 486 I thought it just didn't work at all since hitting start just made the screen flash. But it was working, the ai ship would race over and blow you up in about .05 seconds

Ended up having to use something like
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=74359

To reduce the CPU speed to 5% or somesuch

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

So I got Mechwarrior 3 installed, it went smoothly installing straight from the disc. That didn't work with MW2, though; I'll have to figure out some other way.

Playing MW 3 unmodified on a modern system comes with some quirks. Glitchy audio and some wonky physics. Running my mech off a cliff tends to send it flying off into the air like it has jump jets; landing may or may not send it bouncing back up again, but at least it doesn't seem to do any damage to the legs. I'm sure there are patches for these problems, but it'll have to wait for another time. I remember back when I tried installing this on a Windows 7 system, there was a flag in the second mission that wouldn't trigger, so the primary objective and the mission couldn't be completed. At least that isn't happening now.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Back to the topic of the current MW2 LP, Vitamin forgot to show the weight limit we've got to work with, so I looked up a FAQ to give me a ballpark to get started on a suggestion.

Anyway, just to give sniper-ing a try (since the upcoming mission is pretty much just "kill everything" and sounds like it should be a fairly flat map), let's go with a Summoner equipped with 2x Gauss Rifle (arm-mounted, because I don't know if you'll be able to fit them in the torso), 2x LRM-10 (20's too heavy on top of the Gauss; honestly, though, having any LRMs at all in addition to Gauss might be overdoing it), and 2x ER Medium Laser. Basically guaranteed to be pretty flimsy to make room for all that, but should make you really good at sniping targets while still being capable of close-range combat (albeit not exactly good at it). If this is too hard to survive with, go ahead and take the Gauss off first (those things're heavy).

...and if you're not banned from bringing a minion, a Timber Wolf with 2x ER PPC and 4x Streak SRM-4 might be an acceptable meatshield. I'd like to add more weapons (like the old standby of an ER MLas), but it's already gonna be running hot with those PPCs, and having a lot of missiles can't help that problem any. And no design I suggest will ever have machine guns, because those're basically worthless.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

So I got Mechwarrior 3 installed, it went smoothly installing straight from the disc. That didn't work with MW2, though; I'll have to figure out some other way.

Playing MW 3 unmodified on a modern system comes with some quirks. Glitchy audio and some wonky physics.

Weird but fun bugs! If you need some help with a Dosbox MW2 install let me know.

CptWedgie posted:

Sniper build

That's quite a detailed layout, I'll see if I can make it work!

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

New video!

Well that was interesting..starting the level with a long range mech only to be faced with a 100 ton Dire Wolf right in front of my nose lol. I quickly lose most of my weapons (I said 'ammo explosion' in the video, but I think I just got damaged from the Nova in front of me) but my team mate actually saves the day with well-targeted PPCs and missiles.

The LRM locking barely gets used, because I keep needing to fire quickly on the enemies in front of me..for the next mission I'm going with a build comparable to what my teammate had, so PPCs+missiles. Think i'll take LRM for longrange and keep PPC for shortrange.

Anyway, enjoy ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXuxui8zk7Q

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

Well that was interesting..starting the level with a long range mech only to be faced with a 100 ton Dire Wolf right in front of my nose lol. I quickly lose most of my weapons (I said 'ammo explosion' in the video, but I think I just got damaged from the Nova in front of me) but my team mate actually saves the day with well-targeted PPCs and missiles.
:stonklol: Sorry, didn't realize you'd be right in the thick of it from start to finish there. Least the bodyguard I suggested did the job.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

:stonklol: Sorry, didn't realize you'd be right in the thick of it from start to finish there. Least the bodyguard I suggested did the job.

Haha yeah I was caught by surprise as well, it's not often you get thrown into action immediately like that. Looking back, those Gauss guns were pretty powerful..too bad they take a ton of slots

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vitamin Me posted:

Anyway, enjoy ;)

Well now I feel bad about bad-mouthing our star buddy :ohdear:

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Well now I feel bad about bad-mouthing our star buddy :ohdear:

Well I'm sure he (or she?) doesn't mind, just look how happy-go-lucky they're running into combat..so happy to tag along :)

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Another day, another vid!

This was a pretty straightforward mission, just two mechs stomping around with PPC's and blowing up mechs at every navpoint. With this flat map and lots of space I'm amazed at how often I bumped into enemies..my mech was faster than I expected.

Also I added MASC for a speedboost and then never used it in the mission :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjFJ9Sh8oLM

Also, video is now public, oops

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 28, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vitamin Me posted:

Another day, another vid!

This was a pretty straightforward mission, just two mechs stomping around with PPC's and blowing up mechs at every navpoint. With this flat map and lots of space I'm amazed at how often I bumped into enemies..my mech was faster than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjFJ9Sh8oLM

Video is private.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

New vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfuo2vP8CXA

Two missions, both were kind of nailbiters..especially the second I was surprised to make it out alive.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:ohdear: Oh man, that last video was a doozy. At least the next mission will be all fun and reindeer games :haw:

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

At least the next mission will be all fun and reindeer games :haw:

Lol dont get me started..that mission is only possible if you've got the route of the escort car memorized :argh:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Blech, escort missions. I have no idea what would be good, but I have a feeling nothing I suggest would fit the bill. Honestly, I'd say this is an ideal time for a "comfort zone" mech. Probably in the 70-80 range.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Blech, escort missions. I have no idea what would be good, but I have a feeling nothing I suggest would fit the bill. Honestly, I'd say this is an ideal time for a "comfort zone" mech. Probably in the 70-80 range.

Yes thinking the same thing..anything too big and slow won't be able to react quick enough to the car suddenly changing routes..next vid's probably coming later on Sunday

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Large Lasers the most damage at the longest range, and Medium Lasers are in the middle.

This is true, except ER Large Lasers are bugged in Mechwarrior 2 and only do 3 damage instead of the 10 they're supposed to do.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Lastly: Jump jets are pretty fantastic, and I almost always put 2-3 on any custom design. No 'mech is ever going to be a Gundam

This is also partially untrue (the Gundam part). Jets are amazing in MW2, since the game lacks friction. You can jump jet indefinitely (gaining speed the entire time) if you jet just high enough to get into the air and start pulsing your jets. It's tricky to do with just a couple of jets, but with 4-5 it's incredibly easy.

Just jet up using half your jets and tap the button about once a second after that and you're suddenly an Airmech. If you're careful your jump jet fuel will refill faster than you use it. Having more jets means your fuel refills faster.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just jet up using half your jets and tap the button about once a second after that and you're suddenly an Airmech.

Ok maybe I should give that github dos patch a try

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

New vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEsbo9ajK4

This was a disaster, haven't had to redo a mission so many times in a while.

First I took a too heavy mech, which had me trailing the car I was supposed to protect, getting it constantly hit with friendly fire.

Then there's a part of the level where two enemies spawn inside a building and shoot their way out, leaving a small corridor. They often just get stuck in that corridor! And I accicendtly walked in there as well when I was mopping up the final enemies after the car was safe, and got stuck myself in there as well..lol.

Aaaand then there's the bug where you hit all the objectives, and you return to the final waypoint, and the mission just..doesn't end. No 'mission succesful'. This had me puzzled for about two tries before I realized the game wanted me to hit all the waypoints..which are normally just navigation tools.

So yeah, in hindsight this mission was pretty easy, it just took way too many attempts to actually got it done. And then I wasn't recording for the debriefing/aftermath screen :smith:

But at least you all get to think about the next mission now, where we can take not just one, but two star buddies with us!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is true, except ER Large Lasers are bugged in Mechwarrior 2 and only do 3 damage instead of the 10 they're supposed to do.

I did not know this. The amount of fairly simple yet impactful bugs that we'd just put up with or never even know about back in the day is pretty funny, in hindsight.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...It's kinda hard to come up with unique builds to experiment with when there aren't very many weapons in the game to build around... though there is an idea there.

Maybe try a Gargoyle with no duplicate weapons (i.e. if you install an SRM-6, you can't add a second SRM-6, you need to pick a different weapon)? Probably gonna suck compared to anything with a coherent build, but that's part of the challenge of this kinda LP, right? Bonus points if you actually manage to hit the weapon cap.

I'll leave the teammates to other people; don't wanna seem too demanding.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vitamin Me posted:

New vid!

This was a disaster, haven't had to redo a mission so many times in a while.
[...]
So yeah, in hindsight this mission was pretty easy, it just took way too many attempts to actually got it done. And then I wasn't recording for the debriefing/aftermath screen :smith:

But at least you all get to think about the next mission now, where we can take not just one, but two star buddies with us!

I told you we'd have fun! :banjo: The devs pretty clearly knew an escort mission was bullshit, a guy has to get to the opera in an active war zone? OK buddy! :psylon: But the nav point requirement is just mean.

Two star buddies? :neckbeard: But in an urban stage? :ohdear: They seem kinda dim with their path-finding, but the timber wolf buddy we had did OK with his PPCs and missiles out in the open, maybe PPCs and lasers would be safer for our buddies in the city? Missile splash damage might be unfortunate in close combat.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

A mech with maximum weapons? Where no weapon may appear twice?

That's so crazy it might actually work!

..but in reality it's probably going to be my star buddies who save the day :buddy:

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Well, I wasn't wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGfIGRLv38

These are the last two missions, so we are finished with the Wolf clan campaign.

I start the mission with a mech setup as suggested, but it was too slow and the weapons mix was too ineffective. The mechs that I took into the mission were a bit too slow in hindsight, tanking all the PPC shots from the enemies instead of dodging them. While my own mech got slowly incapacitated, I got through it with ordering my teammates around.

The final trial was pretty difficult, I only took on the first wave..at this point, I just want to switch to the new campaign.

I discovered you can name your star buddies, so I'll be sure to get some of you in the game in future missions ;)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Absolute lmao at the mission opening up with your starmate backshooting first your other starmate and then you. That's MW2 AI in a nutshell right there.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Absolute lmao at the mission opening up with your starmate backshooting first your other starmate and then you. That's MW2 AI in a nutshell right there.

Yeah I hoped to avoid that by putting them in a triangle formation ahead of me..but it quickly becomes a cluttered mess of heavy mechs shooting everywhere. Actually I didn't even realize I kept that failed attempt in, lol

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Those last two missions :ohno: Even the big boy enemy in the last arena seemed to be pretty agile, I wonder what kind of strats would be effective there. You didn't even get that many missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Those last two missions :ohno: Even the big boy enemy in the last arena seemed to be pretty agile, I wonder what kind of strats would be effective there. You didn't even get that many missiles.

I think the best strategy is to constantly get behind cover, like use the small hills or try to make your way to the small lot with buildings..and then try to snipe from around corners.
Most of the time the mechs are coming at you pretty fast, and it's hard to hide anywhere..the buildings also get destroyed pretty easily, so goodbye cover :(

The second wave of mechs already had all of their legs damaged, so with good shots you could probably quickly take out a leg and they'll just stand there..but it takes a lot of skill and luck.