Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
How on earth someone would beat the last mission in the expansion in one go is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Speaking of Mercs, I recently picked it back up, and... did you know that the tutorial guy (the one with the Roughriders) has a death voice clip in the fourth mission (the one where you're actually expected to fight enemy mechs)? I didn't until the enemies wound up getting a lucky headshot on him in my first attempt (and let me just say, dying during the tutorial is pretty embarrassing). I really didn't expect the devs to see that one coming...

Anyway, upcoming Ghost Bear campaign! Let's see if I can find the manual somewhere so I can suggest some builds...

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

:neckbeard: Yaaaay, I helped!

Not sure if we'll get star buddies in the expansion, but you survived so you're still on the roster :patriot:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ghost Bear's Legacy is better than Mechwarrior 2 (and has one of my favorite video game tracks of all time).

I noticed the OST is a mix of new and old tracks, curious what your favorite track is

Lemniscate Blue posted:

For the record: in the video's first mission, you were fighting in a domed city. The white lines in the satellite view were the support beams for the dome. You can see them in the skybox in the mission.

Interesting, never knew that..I should've looked around a bit more!

CptWedgie posted:

Let's see if I can find the manual somewhere so I can suggest some builds...

Please do, I've done too many missions now with the all-machinegun mech..it was fun but also kinda felt like cheating, the way the Dire Wolf finished off those mechs in seconds lol.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, got the manual, starting to look into the stuff they added in the expansion. First thing I'll need to know, though: What's the weight limit for the first mission? (GameFAQs says you only get to pick your chassis after trials or something- dick move, devs...)

Anyway, I'd expect you to be able to bring minions along in certain missions just like you can in the base game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Vitamin Me posted:

I noticed the OST is a mix of new and old tracks, curious what your favorite track is

Back in the day, every track had to play off the disc. They weren't installed to the hard drive or anything, so each game had to have a complete soundtrack and at the time the feeling was that the buyer needed to get value for money, so GBL actually doesn't directly reuse any tracks from MW2, but it does remix a few.

There are three tracks on the GBL soundtrack that I adore:
- Sneak, Sneak - my personal favorite of the three. This one's prone to an audio glitch near the beginning because I gather either some game data gets picked up by the soundtrack or there's a point in the CD that's just really easily damaged; but I still love it.
- Silent Predator
- Heated Blast

They're right up there with [Blade Sprint/Cold Crescent/Wolf Trial 3], Arkham Bridge, Dragon's Teeth, and Götterdämmerung for best tracks in the franchise. And admittedly Heated Blast is just an Arkham Bridge remix, but they did a good enough job punching it up that Arkham Bridge & Heated Blast are sort of the "sound" of Mechwarrior 2 & GBL for me.

CptWedgie posted:

Okay, got the manual, starting to look into the stuff they added in the expansion. First thing I'll need to know, though: What's the weight limit for the first mission? (GameFAQs says you only get to pick your chassis after trials or something- dick move, devs...)

The game doesn't let you see anything you can't bring and IIRC tops out at the Mad Dog for Mission 1.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 15, 2024

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

The game doesn't let you see anything you can't bring and IIRC tops out at the Mad Dog for Mission 1.
...Looked at GameFAQs a bit more, and it says the default is a Grizzly (70t); doesn't really tell me the cap, but that's at least a decent reference for what's possible, if not completely conclusive.

Anyway, with that in mind, let's go with something vaguely credible that's not a machine gun spammer: Linebacker with 2 PPCs, 2 SRM 6, and- just for the lulz- a Small Pulse Laser (yes, I know you'd probably be better off with 2 ER Small Lasers instead). ...Honestly not too far off from its default configuration, but still.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Ok, a rough start but it's a start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8nu6QK3eY

So the Grizzly turned out to be no match for three mechs (or I just suck lol) so I took the safe backup to a War Hawk. I want to try the new mechs and the new missile systems though, so let's see if we can focus on that for the next missions!

Audio levels were all over the place, with some in-game briefings being really soft..should be better towards the end of the video, I tried to correct uneven audio with some volume filters.

edit: also I cut short most of the mech setup stuff, I think it's more interesting to see the final result and not 5 minutes of assigning criticals. So I'm gonna try to make the editing a bit more snappy in those parts.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
That 100-ton limit is a blatant lie, actually. You're only allowed to use whatever you cleared the Trial with (though I don't know if you're allowed to customize between missions).

That said, assuming you are, in fact, allowed to customize: Strap as many missiles to your mech as you can fit!

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

That 100-ton limit is a blatant lie, actually. You're only allowed to use whatever you cleared the Trial with (though I don't know if you're allowed to customize between missions).

That said, assuming you are, in fact, allowed to customize: Strap as many missiles to your mech as you can fit!

Will do!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, Ghost Bear's Legacy goes all-in on terrain. Going up (or down) terrain will slow you down unless you're using jump jets.

If you want to use a long range weapon, use Gauss Rifles or large pulse lasers. Gauss Rifles aren't quite hitscan but they're close. Due to the way the bounding spheres and enemy damage is determined, mounting weapons in the arms is always a mistake in Mechwarrior 2. Arms are very easy to lose due to the way the arm spheres overlap the torsos and the moment you start losing firepower you're in real trouble.

LRM-10s are the least efficient launchers, you get significantly less "bang" for your buck out of them than you do other launchers (LRM 5s are the most efficient in terms of tonnage, while LRM-15s and LRM-20s are most efficient for space/ammo). LRM-10s are sort-of the worst of all worlds.

I could do a big effortpost on the available weapons, since they're all using tabletop stats.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, Ghost Bear's Legacy goes all-in on terrain. Going up (or down) terrain will slow you down unless you're using jump jets.

If you want to use a long range weapon, use Gauss Rifles or large pulse lasers. Gauss Rifles aren't quite hitscan but they're close. Due to the way the bounding spheres and enemy damage is determined, mounting weapons in the arms is always a mistake in Mechwarrior 2. Arms are very easy to lose due to the way the arm spheres overlap the torsos and the moment you start losing firepower you're in real trouble.

LRM-10s are the least efficient launchers, you get significantly less "bang" for your buck out of them than you do other launchers (LRM 5s are the most efficient in terms of tonnage, while LRM-15s and LRM-20s are most efficient for space/ammo). LRM-10s are sort-of the worst of all worlds.

I could do a big effortpost on the available weapons, since they're all using tabletop stats.

Well effortposts are always appreciated of course, but in the context of this LP I'm looking more for practical tips..like the coming mission for instance, we've got plenty of room for a heavy mech, what would be a good missile mix? Should I go into the artillery? That seems more suitable for fixed targets, with the area of damage and all.
The new inferno missiles, it it worth picking them over the regular missiles? This is what the manual says:

quote:

Inferno missiles are special-purpose missiles designed to affect the heat level of enemy BattleMechs. Inferno missiles come in guided and dumb-fire modes and operate the same as SSRM-2 and SRM-2 systems.

The jumpjets are still broken unless I start messing with the CPU cycles..which is an option, but I wonder if we're making ourself an easy target flying around?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Arrow IV is bad, it has too few shots per ton (5) and the launcher is too heavy for the sorts of fights the player has to deal with. The splash damage will almost never catch two Mechs because they spread out too much. They're in the game for one gimmick mission that's faster to complete if you ignore the gimmick.

For missiles, the LRM-20 is very space efficient and powerful, but they really want to be in their own weapon group so you can hold lock ons between volleys. They do up to 20 damage which is about 4 damage per ton (not counting ammo), but they only get six shots per ton of ammo so they usually need 2-3 tons of ammo to see you through a fight. The LRM-10 technically does the same damage per ton as the LRM-20, but smaller launchers are less heat efficient. 1 LRM 20 only generates 6 heat per shot; while paired LRM 10s generate 8 for the same damage.

For comparison, the LRM 15 is 4.25~ damage/ton, and the LRM 5 is 5 damage/ton. If you have the critical slots, carrying multiple LRM 5s is preferable to most other options and since you get 24 shots/ton you can comfortably get away with 1 ton of ammo per launcher. Because of the way Mechwarrior 2 fires missiles, four group-fired LRM 5 will get their salvos off more quickly than 1 LRM 20. They just take up more space and need more tonnage dedicated to ammo.

At the ranges you tend to engage things, the bog standard SRM-6s will be much stronger so long as your aim is decent (and yours is). They do 2 damage/missile at 1.5 tons per launcher, which is about 8 damage per ton you spend on launchers; and you get 15 shots per ton of ammo, so you can comfortably get away with 1-2 tons of ammo per launcher depending on the length of the mission. Smaller launchers like the SRM-2 and SRM-4 aren't worth it. Although their damage per ton is consistent accross the board, they generate more heat when firing equal numbers of missiles (2 SRM 6s generate 8 heat, 3 SRM 4s generate 9 heat, and 6 SRM-2s generate 12 heat; all do 24 damage/salvo).

Infernos are surprisingly good, since you can force a hot mech like a Warhawk to shut down giving you time to do free damage or remove its arms. Equipping a starmate with a couple of inferno launchers can be a pretty solid choice.

The streak SRM's missiles lock on like LRMs do, and have a much smaller turning circle so they'll almost certainly always hit the target; but locking on to fast targets with it is a challenge. IIRC in Mechwarrior 2 they won't fire unless you lock on, and their launchers are twice as heavy as the non-streak SRMs so they do less damage per launcher ton.

Do not sleep on Gauss Rifles, they're very good. They don't do splash damage the way PPCs do, but they do the same damage as the PPC for almost no heat and the shot is very fast. An assault Mech like the Warhawk can comfortably carry a pair of gauss rifles and 2-4 tons of ammo per gun; and doesn't need extra heat sinks unless you take some back-up lasers. The only concern with Gauss Rifles is that sometimes the projectile is too fast, so if you're firing at a target with small bounding spheres they (very rarely) may not register damage on a direct hit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 16, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Vitamin Me posted:

Well effortposts are always appreciated of course, but in the context of this LP I'm looking more for practical tips..
One thing is that lots of your mech customizations have been leaving a lot of weight on the table. Like in this last mission, you left 12 tons of the warhawk empty. It was more or less the same payload as the grizzly, but with warhawk slowness.
You had free tonnage to add heavier weapons (or uparmor it if it wasn't maxed). Or if you're willing to reduce mechs to just a max tonnage and a hitbox instead of being more tabletopy, switch it to standard armor to trade those tons for criticals to spend on more lasers

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's very true. If you're not maxed out on weight, you don't need the weight saving equipment. All ferro-fibrous armor and endo-steel do is make your 'Mech lighter, they do not make you tougher in any way.

Ferro-fibrous armor provides the least weight savings and can be dropped pretty easily, followed by endo-steel, and then converting your engine from an XL to a standard. Mechwarrior 2 doesn't model mech destruction via side torso loss if you have an XL Engine, so that bit of weight savings is pretty much always "free"

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Lots of good info, thanks guys..Let's see if I can break it down/summarize it for future reference

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Arrow IV is bad

For missiles, the LRM-20 is very space efficient and powerful; If you have the critical slots, carrying multiple LRM 5s is preferable

At the ranges you tend to engage things, the bog standard SRM-6s will be much stronger so long as your aim is decent (and yours is).

Infernos are surprisingly good, Equipping a starmate with a couple of inferno launchers can be a pretty solid choice.

The streak SRM's missiles lock on like LRMs do, and their launchers are twice as heavy as the non-streak SRMs so they do less damage per launcher ton.

Do not sleep on Gauss Rifles, they're very good. An assault Mech like the Warhawk can comfortably carry a pair of gauss rifles and 2-4 tons of ammo per gun; and doesn't need extra heat sinks unless you take some back-up lasers.

This is all very good info; it's true that I kinda ignored Gauss rifles, after I loaded a smaller mech with them and it instantly exploded after firing a couple of rounds. I'll see if I can get them back in rotation. I think I'll load the next mech with Gauss, LRM20's and SRM6, with some inferno if I got the room / starmate.

Foxfire_ posted:

One thing is that lots of your mech customizations have been leaving a lot of weight on the table. switch it to standard armor to trade those tons for criticals to spend on more lasers

Yeah this is true, I guess I kinda assumed any weight I didn't allocate would make my mech lighter/faster? I suppose it doesn't work that way..Switching to standard armor seems like a solid choice in a lot of cases

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mechwarrior 2 doesn't model mech destruction via side torso loss if you have an XL Engine, so that bit of weight savings is pretty much always "free"

I'm always try to boost the engine speed, so good to hear that doesn't come with extra risk of damage

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

New vid is live, just one mission..let's see what you guys think of this all-missile setup.

Next time I'll see if I can add some Gauss as well..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKx8KFstr8

I wonder why the chassis option was locked?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vitamin Me posted:

I kinda assumed any weight I didn't allocate would make my mech lighter/faster? I suppose it doesn't work that way..Switching to standard armor seems like a solid choice in a lot of cases

Nope, it's 100% wasted potential. The only advantages you get for being larger are more armor/structure in exchange for speed, and more tonnage to put towards weapons. Not using that tonnage is just an artificial handicap.

Vitamin Me posted:

I'm always try to boost the engine speed, so good to hear that doesn't come with extra risk of damage

Oh, I wasn't referring to the engine rating. Making your engine faster just costs weight.

XL Engines are lighter than standard engines but take up extra space in the side torsos, so in tabletop BattleTech you're guaranteed to take engine hits if you lose a side torso. Mechwarrior 2 doesn't model that, because it pre-dates that rule in the tabletop game, so XL Engines are always a safe upgrade.

There are a few mechs that don't come with XL Engines by default: the Nova, the Dire Wolf, and... I think the Grizzly? So if something seems like it's not carrying much in the way of armament you might want to check to see if you can fit an XL Engine.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

I wonder why the chassis option was locked?
The chassis option was locked because the devs were assholes. I mean, yes, there's an in-universe excuse for it, but it's still basically just because the devs are assholes.

Basically, you can only choose your chassis on specific missions (which I assume is, not coincidentally, also the promotion trials). Every other mission, you're stuck using the last mech you picked.

And of course the Annihilator was tougher than everything else- it's a 100-ton Mech among a bunch of sub-40s (and maybe a 60 or two, I didn't keep track).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Atlas is 100 tons, the Victor is 80, the Annihilator is 100; and the Ravens are 35 tons. They didn't add all that many Inner Sphere mechs to GB:L, but they did add a few.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

God what a terrible user interface that just arbitrarely locks stuff without any clear feedback..why put all these new mechs in the game and then severly limit your chances to use them?

Well I suppose there are worse mechs to get stuck with for a while..

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

GBL has much more of a plot than the base games jumping between various far apart battlefields. You don't get a mech choice because your pilot is notionally stationed at some podunk listening post out in the middle of nowhere with just the mech you brought with you. Later missions will have conceits like "we're going on a raid in enemy territory for the next few missions. What ride do you want to put in the dropship for that?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In the first GBL mission (your Blooding Trial) the last bit of the briefing text before the objectives says: "Additionally, choose your 'Mech well, as you will take it with you wherever you are posted. Assuming you pass this trial."

And then you were shipped out to Mannedorf with your Dire Wolf.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They were trying to play to the lore. I can't say it's a great decision, but the idea is: in the Clan warrior caste, you're assigned a 'Mech by your commander; with a little leeway given to strong performers who earn their right to move into a different machine. Otherwise you specialize in something, or you take a machine that becomes available after its previous pilot died. There are more Mechwarriors than 'Mechs, so trading them out doesn't make a lot of sense even though the Clans are closer to a 1:1 parity than anyone else.

Unfortunately, they chose to implement the restriction after Mechwarrior 2's complete freedom, so it feels a little stifling. In Mechwarrior 2, you're actually a different person / combat unit in each mission. In Ghost Bear's Legacy, you're always a junior warrior with the 72nd Assault Trinary.

It would have been better if they'd leaned the other way, and presented the player with a carefully curated list of machines for each mission rather than letting them nab a Dire Wolf (and forcing them to cripple it by giving it too big an engine) right out of the gate. There's also probably an element of "ha ha, we'll teach those kids to pick nothing but the biggest machines!" by letting you pick a Dire Wolf and then presenting you with a bunch of missions that require more mobility, but it was the mid 90s and the point-and-click adventure style of "punish the players for not being prescient" was sort-of in vogue at the time.

Unfortunately, that means the best thing to do for nearly all missions is "just take a speedy Cavalry Heavy" like the Timber Wolf; because a 75 tonner moving 86kph is about maximum possible efficiency on the armor/speed/firepower trigram.

Which leans into something I want to talk about. As a general rule, if you want a 'Mech to be faster, it's a bad idea to up-engine your 'Mech. Going from a 300 to a 400 engine in a Dire Wolf absolutely kills your usable tonnage. The Dire Wolf is about carrying the maximum amount of weapon weight into combat. There's a pretty hefty level of diminishing returns for making something big faster. BattleTech's been around for a long time, and the optimal engine ratings for each tonnage have long been sorted out.

For example: A Dire Wolf with an XL 400 and an Executioner with an XL 380 both move the same speed, but a 400 engine Dire Wolf only has 56.75 tons of usable space for armor and weapons compared to the Executioner's 58 available tons.

You can find full charts for this fishing for tabletop resources; but as a quick reference. The speeds will be given in their tabletop values and 'maximum speed' in kph:

Standard Engines
100 tons - 300 rating (3/5mp / 54kph) - 65 usable tons
85/80/75 tons - 340/320/300 rating (4/6mp / 64kph) - 42.5 usable tons.
60 tons - 300 rating (5/8mp / 86 kph) - 29 usable tons
50/45 tons - 300/270 rating (6/9mp / 97 kph) - 20 usable tons
35 tons - 280 rating (8/12mp / 129 kph) - 9.5 usable tons

XL Engines
100 tons - 300XL rating (3/5mp / 54 kph) - 74.5 usable tons
95 tons - 380XL rating (4/6mp / 64 kph) - 58 usable tons
75/70 tons - 375XL/350XL (5/8mp / 86 kph) - 41.25 usable tons
60 tons - 360XL (6/9mp / 97 kph) - 30.5 usable tons
50 tons - 350XL (7/11mp / 118 kph) - 23.25 usable tons
35 tons - 315XL (9/14mp / 151 kph) - 13.75 usable tons

So, as you can see, standard engines really want to be as close to a 300 rating as possible; while XL engines can deviate much farther from a 300 rating while still being weight efficient. Light 'Mechs also benefit much more from XL engines, as they're able to be faster while carrying more usable tonnage. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the weight savings benefit usually isn't impactful at the highest end of the weight spectrum. A 4/6 95 tonner with an XL engine completely obsoletes a 4/6 85 tonner with a standard engine... provided it has enough critical slots to actually mount a reasonable assortment of weapons. A 100 tonner usually won't need an XL engine at all, partly because a standard engine 100 tonner still has nearly 10 tons more usable space than an XL 95 tonner, but partly because it won't be able to mount enough armament to make use of the ~10 extra tons it gets from upgrading to an XL engine.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

That's all fine, just dont show a big button with arrows next to it then..oh well, that's ye olde games for ya

Edit: well I suppose I'm skipping the engine upgrade for coming mission then..which is fine as it a 'kill everything that moves' mission anyway, and I want to bring a hefty mix of Gauss/missiles :clint:

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you need to be faster, you can always mount MASC.

In Mechwarrior 2, this will make your speed vary pretty wildly from your normal maximum to about double that. It gets you some extra speed overall, and makes your movement erratic enough that on a medium or a fast heavy you'll be able to dodge missiles (as long as you're not running straight at or away from them) because they won't quite track you properly.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you need to be faster, you can always mount MASC.

In Mechwarrior 2, this will make your speed vary pretty wildly from your normal maximum to about double that. It gets you some extra speed overall, and makes your movement erratic enough that on a medium or a fast heavy you'll be able to dodge missiles (as long as you're not running straight at or away from them) because they won't quite track you properly.

Yes, I've used MASC plenty of times in previous missions, but double the speed? Don't think I've seen that yet..

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Double cruising speed, sorry. In tabletop, activating MASC turns a 3/5 into a 3/6, or a 5/8 into a 5/10, so a 100 tonner with MASC can reach up to 64kph, while a 75 tonner with MASC can push 108kph but realistically MASC increases your movement by about half that.

So a 100 tonner pushes its movement up to about 59kph running MASC, and a 75 tonner gets pushed up to about 97 kph.

As always, lighter 'Mechs get more benefit out of speed boosting equipment than bigger ones.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Just gave the next mission a try or two, and one of the large enemies keeps taking me out with a bunch of missiles..I'm considering just restarting the game with a Timber Wolf or something

edit: yeah with a timber wolf it was pretty easy to do the 2 earlier missions :D

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2024

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Considering picking up the Clan versions, and then giving myself a few challenges to see if I can manage to make myself not suck quite so much. Both little ones ("always have at least one ammo-consuming weapon equipped") and bigger ones ("my actual weight limit is ~half what the game gives me, try to not blow up"). One challenge that's locked in is, if I do this in GBL, to only play using mechs introduced in the expansion (I remember loving the Kodiak, especially in comparison to the Dire Wolf, so my choice of 100-ton mechs won't be a problem).

Also, the worst part of the whole "can't change mechs between missions" thing has to be the whole "penalize the player for not being prescient" factor that is "oh, you wanted to be big enough to not explode on the first mission, but now you're too slow to win this mission three stages down the line and you're locked in, haha go restart the entire f'ing game and try to find something that can do both!" If I could mod GBL however I want, the first thing I'd do would be to let the player pick his own drat mech every mission.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Considering picking up the Clan versions, and then giving myself a few challenges to see if I can manage to make myself not suck quite so much. Both little ones ("always have at least one ammo-consuming weapon equipped") and bigger ones ("my actual weight limit is ~half what the game gives me, try to not blow up"). One challenge that's locked in is, if I do this in GBL, to only play using mechs introduced in the expansion (I remember loving the Kodiak, especially in comparison to the Dire Wolf, so my choice of 100-ton mechs won't be a problem).

Also, the worst part of the whole "can't change mechs between missions" thing has to be the whole "penalize the player for not being prescient" factor that is "oh, you wanted to be big enough to not explode on the first mission, but now you're too slow to win this mission three stages down the line and you're locked in, haha go restart the entire f'ing game and try to find something that can do both!" If I could mod GBL however I want, the first thing I'd do would be to let the player pick his own drat mech every mission.

Good luck, going with half the weight limit sounds like a decent challenge! I restarted the game with a PPC/medium laser/LRM20 Timber Wolf and I'm gonna give the next mission a try tomorrow.

I haven't played the new mechs apart from the Grizzly so far, what's good about the Kodiak compared to the DW?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

I haven't played the new mechs apart from the Grizzly so far, what's good about the Kodiak compared to the DW?
Don't remember; it's been like 25 years. I might've just hated the DW's design, for all I know.

edit: One actually decent reason that doesn't apply to me (my habit of replacing all the weapons with lasers to avoid ammo issues has been lifelong) is the fact that the DW's default loadout is extremely buggy in this game; it's got large lasers (as mentioned, bugged to do 3 damage), pulse lasers (bugged to hit their hit sprites), ultra autocannons (also bugged to hit their hit sprites), and an LRM 10 (works as intended, but has a minimum effective range), according to the wiki, and I don't know how much of that matches its game incarnation. The stock Kodiak, meanwhile, has a lot of medium lasers and some streak SRMs, and is thus a lot more functional.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 19, 2024

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

Good luck, going with half the weight limit sounds like a decent challenge! I restarted the game with a PPC/medium laser/LRM20 Timber Wolf and I'm gonna give the next mission a try tomorrow.

It looks incredible, and just thinking about its role in the opening makes you want to pilot that sucker. Its default loadout is nice for brawling, I guess.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Okay, think I've got the design for Wolf Mission 1 ready. Doesn't look too bad, really! Well, aside from the fact that it's a Kit Fox...

As you can see, I upped the engine a bit because light mechs are supposed to go fast, and completely changed out the weapons. The LRM is in the center torso, the machine guns are in the right torso, the ammo is mostly in the left torso (I put a tiny bit with the machine guns because I ran out of room), I moved the armor from the arms to the actual important parts (torso and legs) due to assumed inability to turn the torso (so I can't even use the arms as shields), and basically everything else is stock.

The weirdest part is that I didn't install a single laser in this thing...

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Okay, think I've got the design for Wolf Mission 1 ready. Doesn't look too bad, really! Well, aside from the fact that it's a Kit Fox...

As you can see, I upped the engine a bit because light mechs are supposed to go fast, and completely changed out the weapons. The LRM is in the center torso, the machine guns are in the right torso, the ammo is mostly in the left torso (I put a tiny bit with the machine guns because I ran out of room), I moved the armor from the arms to the actual important parts (torso and legs) due to assumed inability to turn the torso (so I can't even use the arms as shields), and basically everything else is stock.

The weirdest part is that I didn't install a single laser in this thing...

Godspeed tiny Kit Fox..gonna put it on youtube?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

Godspeed tiny Kit Fox..gonna put it on youtube?
Nope. Didn't record; don't even really know how (and even if I did I'm pissed at Youtube right now so I'm not uploading anything there). It did manage to win (and even kill everything!) with like 100 machine gun rounds left, though; think it even managed to keep its arms somehow!

Oddly, had more issues in mission 2 with a Jenner with 2 machine guns, 2 streak SRM 4s, and 3 medium lasers... Anyway, off to mission 3 with a Stormcrow! (Which I had issues customizing because I somehow ran out of slots. Had to swap to standard internals to make room for everything else.)

edit: Okay, forgot to bring a teammate, almost died, and forgot I'd added MASC until the mad dash to the extraction point while juking PPCs and the like from like 4 Summoners (or whatever) the whole way at the end, but hey- mission complete! That's the only thing that counts, right?

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 19, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Nope. Didn't record; don't even really know how (and even if I did I'm pissed at Youtube right now so I'm not uploading anything there). It did manage to win (and even kill everything!) with like 100 machine gun rounds left, though; think it even managed to keep its arms somehow!

Oddly, had more issues in mission 2 with a Jenner with 2 machine guns, 2 streak SRM 4s, and 3 medium lasers... Anyway, off to mission 3 with a Stormcrow! (Which I had issues customizing because I somehow ran out of slots. Had to swap to standard internals to make room for everything else.)

edit: Okay, forgot to bring a teammate, almost died, and forgot I'd added MASC until the mad dash to the extraction point while juking PPCs and the like from like 4 Summoners (or whatever) the whole way at the end, but hey- mission complete! That's the only thing that counts, right?

Pissed at yt? Shame, these missions sound pretty exciting

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vitamin Me posted:

It's over-engined so nothing at all, but it's really good looking.

Unfortunately it's pretty much strictly inferior to the Executioner; and if you bump its engine rating down it's just a Dire Wolf that's slightly easier for the enemy to hit.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It looks like a bear, so it's better for proving the superiority of team bear over the doofy dog or bird teams

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Foxfire_ posted:

It looks like a bear, so it's better for proving the superiority of team bear over the doofy dog or bird teams

It's this, this is all the reason you need.

For god's sake people: think like Clanners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's this, this is all the reason you need.

For god's sake people: think like Clanners!

You're telling me Clanners are like kids who want to pick the coolest animal? ..guess that explains the whole 'fight using giant robots' thing lol