Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Foxfire_ posted:

It looks like a bear, so it's better for proving the superiority of team bear over the doofy dog or bird teams
This is literally canon. No, seriously, the Kodiak is Clan Ghost Bear's totem mech, aka "a chassis designed specifically to resemble a Clan's totem animal." The fact that it's an actually functional combatant is secondary to the fact that it's a bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I remember loading a firemoth with nothing but jump jets and taking it to the moon which had the lowest gravity.

You could fly straight up, gravity would pull you down but not enough before your jump jets recharged.
So you could basically fly as high as you liked, such that the world was a blank grey square.

But I got bored with life and just let it fall. 🙂

Another thing, I also remember loading a nova with nothing but short range lasers. Once I got in range I could basically one-hit everything under 70 tons

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Anyway, took a break since I hadn't slept very well, but back to my playthrough. I did the "defend repair truck" mission with a Nova (I'll post a pic of its build if I use it again) at first, but that turned out to be too easy so I redid it with the Jenner. Probably could've gotten away with using my Kit Fox, come to think of it. 50/50 on whether I could do it with a Firemoth, though.

So, trial time. Not sure if this'll be easier or harder; on the one hand it'll probably give me something bigger (and thus stronger) than I've been using, but on the other hand I don't get to customize it (which, in turn, means I don't get to minmax it).

edit: Okay, trial 1 was ridiculously easy. I abused the hell out of my missiles; barely took any damage at all, even with me taking on both waves.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 20, 2024

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Okay, as promised, my Nova's build. I used this on the "rescue the dome" mission, though I didn't take the screenshot until the mission after (which I used two copies of my Jenner for, though I probably could've soloed thanks to the terrain- homing missiles be OP y'all).

I would like to note that my attempt to attack the enemy dropships was... ill-advised. Good thing I remembered to bring Ye Olde Minion (yes, that's what I named him) along in my Stormcrow.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Ha reminds me of my similar Nova build with like 8 medium lasers..very powerful and fun build

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

Ha reminds me of my similar Nova build with like 8 medium lasers..very powerful and fun build
Yeah, that Nova's not bad, though I'm having more fun with my Jenner build. Gotta say, I really underestimated it; aside from minor issues when I first brought it out (mostly due to me trying to use a Light like it was a Heavy, aka "direct confrontation, face-tank everything") it's been a major powerhouse, to the point of outright trivializing missions.

Admittedly, a large part of that has probably been me abusing the Streak 4's I installed and the lock-on shenanigans I learned about in this thread to blow things up despite the walls in the way, but still- the fact that a mere 35-ton mech can roflstomp enemies twice its weight proves just how powerful it can be, when used right.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

Another thing, I also remember loading a nova with nothing but short range lasers. Once I got in range I could basically one-hit everything under 70 tons

Sounds very much like the all-machine gun setup I used for a lot of missions..Might try the short range laser variant too!

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

A new vid! And what a shitshow it is.

First I get destroyed with my Dire Wolf twice (well, I *was* walking head-first into missiles all the time)..Then after restarting the game and getting to the same mission with a Timber Wolf, the star buddy gets stuck in geometry. After a restart, *I* get stuck in geometry. After that I tried some other heavy mechs but they just weren't up to snuff so I stuck with my TW.

But we still do three missions, so we're making some progress again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YNhiOwkkJs

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A bit of lore, that the game kind-of assumes you already know.

FTL travel in BattleTech is done via folding space. JumpShips create a bubble of hyperspace that link two points within a 30 lightyear radius. For a brief moment, the JumpShip and anything docked with it occupy two places at the same time, and then the JumpShip transitions from its origin to its destination in a process that's nearly instantaneous (as far as human perceptions go).

Amusingly, the DropShip (a smaller spacecraft used to transport 'Mechs or other things from a planet to a JumpShip but incapable of jumping themselves) is a Titan-class, which is an AeroSpace Fighter Carrier that can't carry 'Mechs ( :haw: ). I actually own a (1/1000 scale) mini of a Titan I really need to get around to painting one of these days. The Titan is one of the largest DropShips ever made.

Everything here is at 1/1000 scale, and everything (except the Corellian Corvette) is from BattleTech.

And now, for an explanation of that cutscene:

Clan warriors are bio-engineered. They are still human, but their genetic traits are carefully selected. They're created in a lab and grown (at normal human growth rates) in an "iron womb" until they're viable, then dispersed for caretaking and eventual education and combat training. If that sounds to you like the Clans have built a society based around an indoctrinated child soldier eugenics program, you would be correct. BattleTech (the setting) does not condone this and regularly goes out of its way to show that the "genetically superior" super soldiers are just normal people in the end, but that's a bit of a nonsequitor.

In the cutscene, a DropShip bearing the emblem of House Kurita (one of the Inner Sphere's own problematic neo-feudal governments of normal humans) raids the Ghost Bear genetic repository and steals some of the genetics that go into creating new generations of Clan warriors.

So Clan Ghost Bear is pretty upset about this, but more concerned about recovering their genetics (which they feel is vital to their survival) than taking vengeance. It's important to note that Clan warriors are normal humans and can have children normally, but it's looked down upon (which is where the "freebirth" epithet comes from).

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Thanks, things start making a bit more sense now. So what's the difference between the big egg-like dropship and the more regular flying craft that drops/picks you up at missions?
Sweet models too by the way, I did some model painting as a kid, but more fantasy/dungeon themed stuff like orcs, zombies etc

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vitamin Me posted:

Thanks, things start making a bit more sense now. So what's the difference between the big egg-like dropship and the more regular flying craft that drops/picks you up at missions?

Practically, the big egg-shaped ships can be much larger than an Aerodyne ship, but the AeroDyne ships tend to be a bit faster and more maneuverable. The Titan is one of the biggest Aerodyne DropShips (tied with the Taihou, which I also have a mini of). The Fortress and Overlord (my two big ovoid ships) are on the larger end of medium sized.

The largest DropShip capable of landing would be 27.7cm/10.9" (or about an inch more diameter than a basketball) at 1:1000 scale; and there are several DropShips so large they're incapable of landing and are mostly just bulk haulers that rely on shuttles/other DropShips/space stations to load and unload. I actually have an STL for the Mammoth, but I'll never be able to print it. :D

Just for fun, I threw some things in my 3D printer software, scaled them all to 1/1000, just to see how they compare.

The little DropShip with the crew of 35 is the Mammoth, the big oval with a crew of 50 is the Behemoth (the largest DropShip made in the setting, and a space-only cargo hauler), and the Argo from HBS's game. The big ship on top is a Star League-era McKenna-class BattleShip. The crew compliment looks tiny until you realize only the very front portion of the ship is actually livable, with most of the rest of the space dedicated to insulating the livable spaces from the heat generated by its own engines. All of these are so large you can't actually see the printing space of my 3D printer (it's buried inside the Behemoth-class ship). And just a casual reminder that the smallest ship in that image would be bigger than a Basketball at 1/1000 scale.

The McKenna isn't the biggest JumpShip/WarShip in the setting, either. The Leviathan-class is larger, and the Enterprise-class Super Carrier was so large (and so poorly engineered) they couldn't get it to move. Star Treks are just for scale. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

.. the Enterprise-class Super Carrier was so large (and so poorly engineered) they couldn't get it to move.

Lol is there any lore explaining why they suck at building ships? I mean making a ship huge and then not using most of it because you need to keep away from the engines is pretty silly

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Vitamin Me posted:

Lol is there any lore explaining why they suck at building ships? I mean making a ship huge and then not using most of it because you need to keep away from the engines is pretty silly

To be fair, handling heat in vacuum probably would be a genuine challenge at that scale. Without atmosphere to propagate the thermal energy it ends up accumulating with nowhere to go. In the case of the ship that can't move it's probably either not packing enough engines or the superstructure being unable to handle the stress from trying to move it all and the engines tearing themselves away from the rest of it or something similar.

But I'm not super into BattleTech lore in particular, just more general sci-fi.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vitamin Me posted:

In that specific case, the short answer is "bureaucracy".

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enterprise_(WarShip_class) posted:

While the first draft specifications for the Enterprise called for a million-ton ship that could transport three wings of fighters, requirements creep led to multiple specification and design changes, with every major revision bringing a new team of engineers into the mix. Ultimately, at least twelve different firms received payments for producing complete sets of schematics. The end product was a design sixty percent larger than the original concept and capable of carrying almost a thousand aerospace fighters.
The Enterprise finally launched in 2749, almost five years after the program had been conceived; under the watching eyes of the entire SLDF navy, the ship had to be towed out of her berth by tugs after four hours of repair and modification work failed to determine why the ship couldn't produce enough thrust to leave dock under her own power. The initial tests were abandoned, and subsequent investigation of the plans and designs discovered that as a result of all of the various changes, the engines were incapable of working in conjunction with the thruster network—even if the main thrusters could be repaired, the Enterprise would be incapable of maneuvering. The supervising technician, Admiral Ursula Verlander, opted to take early retirement and thereby saved the careers of the other senior figures who had supported the program. The project was canceled, and the Enterprise was towed to the asteroid belt and stripped down. Even the bare hulk of the Enterprise was abandoned and left to the predations of scavengers.

The Star League was not the betrayed utopia the Clans tend to believe it was.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vitamin Me posted:

A new vid! And what a shitshow it is.

First I get destroyed with my Dire Wolf twice (well, I *was* walking head-first into missiles all the time)..Then after restarting the game and getting to the same mission with a Timber Wolf, the star buddy gets stuck in geometry. After a restart, *I* get stuck in geometry. After that I tried some other heavy mechs but they just weren't up to snuff so I stuck with my TW.

We're all in this together, but I admit I laughed a little at "Reverse, reverse!" *Turns 180 degrees, butt-bumps mech shooting right at you* :hist101:

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

We're all in this together, but I admit I laughed a little at "Reverse, reverse!" *Turns 180 degrees, butt-bumps mech shooting right at you* :hist101:

Honestly I'm glad my clumsiness has some entertainment value :derp:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Vitamin Me posted:

Yay, progress! Too bad the missions are BS. Worse that you're still not actually allowed to pick what you use on a per-mission basis.

...This next mission sounds particularly horrible; "subdue and capture a specific enemy" objectives are the worst.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Yay, progress! Too bad the missions are BS. Worse that you're still not actually allowed to pick what you use on a per-mission basis.

...This next mission sounds particularly horrible; "subdue and capture a specific enemy" objectives are the worst.

Yeah I'm curious if that's gonna be the nightmare it sounds like..gonna check it out after work. With subdue I'm assuming something like 'blow a leg off' but perhaps the in-mission briefing will give more clues :confused:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
On the topic of capture missions: I just finished doing the "capture the command vehicle" mission with a modified version of my Jenner (starting me on a plateau was kind of rude). It was... rough. Like, I kept dying, but I got close enough that I was sure I could pull it off, even with the Rifleman at the end; I just needed to do better (and not get my sensors or weapons shot out first thing) and it'd be fine.

And, as usual, the key to winning turned out to be abusing Streaks and cover. Still lost most of my weapons, but I won (and, as usual for my Jenner runs, killed everything).

edit: And the Trial was, once again, no issue; the mission after, I decided my Jenner's probably not enough so I brought a couple of Stormcrows. Went pretty well, even though I lost all the armor on one side of my torso; I even found the munitions.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 21, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

No rest for the wicked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lim86DitC28

Three missions, the Timber Wolf is chugging along nicely

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You got incredibly lucky on that first mission.

General Tengwan is in the friendly Raven, and you need to disable it by blowing a leg off to keep it from escaping.

You beat the other defenders before he escaped the area, so it counted as a mission success. Very lucky. :haw:

Edit: So, your Star Captain (the man who orders you to kill the Draconis Combine General) in Mission 2 is a complete tool. If you follow the mission debriefings, you learn pretty quickly that he's an untrustworthy moron.

"Fortunately," Clan Society has a built in pressure release valve in the form of The Purge the Trial of Grievance. If you offend someone (or someone offends you), you can challenge them to a fight which isn't always a fight to the death but always potentially can be. It's actually pretty rare for Clanners to kill each other except over the most dire offenses, but accidents (and mechwarriors like Joanna of Clan Jade Falcon) sometimes happen.

In this case of Star Captain Bekker, he's so far in the wrong the Clan just kinda shrugs and says "Oh well, probably for the best" when you kill him.

Double Edit: That said, the Clans are very much a "might makes right" society, so if he'd killed you, unless his commander took offense at him killing a soldier who was doing the right thing, the Clan also would've shrugged and said "Well, he's a moron but he's a good fighter" and he probably would've gotten away with a slap on the wrist and credit for your victory in the previous mission.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 23, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Yeah during the editing things started to click, but I couldn't figure out why I still won..so thanks for that little extra info, I really should read briefings more when it's anything besides "destroy destroy destroy" :banjo:

When doing that second mission my first instinct was to just follow the directive, but then I was like "no what if this is a secret test??" The in-game voice bits are pretty low in volume, so I never understood that we were sparing that guy's life in exchange for info..I'd probably just would've followed the mission directive if I heard that bit correctly.

One other thing that kind of confused me was the lack of targeting on those smaller mechs..probably a feature of that mech and not a bug in the game

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleArmor is small and tends to have stealth equipment. They're basically infantry in power armor.

The Draconis Combine also uses a lot of electronic warfare equipment to fight the Clans, since their combat equipment is generally inferior.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: So, your Star Captain (the man who orders you to kill the Draconis Combine General) in Mission 2 is a complete tool. If you follow the mission debriefings, you learn pretty quickly that he's an untrustworthy moron.
I guess even in a theoretically-meritocratic society that reproduces almost exclusively via genetically engineered clones, you can't prevent incompetent asshats winding up in positions of power far beyond their ability to even comprehend.

Hopefully his replacement doesn't give Vitamin a reason to disobey.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Continuing with another three-parter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gH84_E0tao

I failed a bunch of times (I walked off the dropship into space in the 'defend dropship') mission, but no failure was so spectacular that I kept it in the vid.

Strategy wise, I'm relying more on the heavy star buddy; while they are taking the brunt of the attack, I sit back and try to support with LRMs.
The space mission allowed for more energy-heavy weapons because of quicker heat disposal, so went all in on PPCs.
The last mission was pretty easy because enemies couldn't easily get close..a pure missile mech made quick work of that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Can't believe you managed to survive that space mission when you got completely disarmed. Guess there were a lot of turrets shooting that ship at the end, but your torso was mostly red so I'm amazed you didn't get your engine shot out.

From context, I'm guessing that talking in the Trial of Possession was someone notifying you that the Jaguars had broken protocol, and you were now authorized to interfere.

That "defend from mercs" mission sounds pretty straightforward, but this late in the campaign I'm sure it'll be a lot harder than it sounds.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, the Wolves lost the Refusal War (Mechwarrior 2). The Warden (aka sane) portions of the Clan fled to the Inner Sphere and would take up residence in the Lyran Commonwealth. The Crusader (aka crazy warmonger) faction of Clan Wolf got abandoned and left to die to the Jade Falcons.

Clan Jade Falcon claimed that they were actually trying to absorb the Wolves rather than annihilate them; but that got denied in a trial. So they reconstituted the Wolves as "Clan Jade Wolf," after which the new (Crusader) leader of Clan Jade Wolf immediately told them to pound sand and renamed the Clan to "Clan Wolf." They're exactly the same as the original Clan Wolf, but with their logo flipped because they're now a group of warmongering assholes.

Unfortunately for the Wolves, the sane half of Clan Wolf took most of their genetic legacies with them; so they're effectively half a Clan. The plot of Ghost Bear's Legacy is the Wolves trying to acquire Ghost Bear genetics to shore up their own crippled eugenics program. But rather than doing it in the sanctioned way (by trials for each individual bloodline they want to claim), the Wolves decided to steal the lot in a false flag operation.

You're about to make that "not go well" for them because false flags are as loving stupid. :haw:

Edit: "Sane" is overstating things a little, because they're still Clanners in the end. "Less stupid" is probably more accurate.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

:psyduck:

Poor clan Wolf, I always regarded them as 'the good guys' in mw2..poo poo sure got hosed up

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They eventually do make their ending cinematic happen and make it all the way to Terra. Just... a hundred years later.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

They eventually do make their ending cinematic happen and make it all the way to Terra. Just... a hundred years later.

Well these space opera things always take time..like Warhammer is about ten thousands of years right

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vitamin Me posted:

:psyduck:

Poor clan Wolf, I always regarded them as 'the good guys' in mw2..poo poo sure got hosed up

Well, Ulric Kerensky's a hard fellow to dislike, but looking a bit like an evil Mark Hamill does help.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arbite posted:

Well, Ulric Kerensky's a hard fellow to dislike, but looking a bit like an evil Mark Hamill does help.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Managed to make some more progress, after a bit of a hiatus. The crashed dropship was a pain because the enemies apparently invented homing lasers and kept hitting my engines (and it doesn't help that they completely ignored Ye Olde Minion to focus fire on me, drat the fact that Minion was closer and actively shooting them), while the third trial apparently put me in a Summoner made of paper mache since the "armor" might as well have not been there at all.

I did manage to get past both after a few tries (I used Stormcrows for the dropship after a tantrum-Timber Wolfing went too easily), but I don't really feel up to continuing after all that right now.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Managed to make some more progress, after a bit of a hiatus. The crashed dropship was a pain because the enemies apparently invented homing lasers and kept hitting my engines (and it doesn't help that they completely ignored Ye Olde Minion to focus fire on me, drat the fact that Minion was closer and actively shooting them), while the third trial apparently put me in a Summoner made of paper mache since the "armor" might as well have not been there at all.

I did manage to get past both after a few tries (I used Stormcrows for the dropship after a tantrum-Timber Wolfing went too easily), but I don't really feel up to continuing after all that right now.

I feel your pain man. I spent 5 or 6 tries on the underwater level for the upcoming vid, apparently it's notoriously hard. Doesn't help that 50% of my tries ended because of getting stuck in geometry.
This did inspire me to do some hacking and do a fun little side project..all will be revealed in the next video soon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The underwater section is very notorious, because you have to rely on pure armor and you're stuck in a comparatively slow pre-designed Executioner with PPCs and Torpedo weapons.

BattleMechs are at a huge disadvantage underwater. The moment you lose armor in a section, it floods with water and is crippled; and if any of those sections is a torso section you lose instantly because your fusion reactor floods with water and you die.

Fortunately, you have two advantages (maybe three): Torpedos are very slow and only have a range of 500 meters, so you can outrun them if you watch your range. Second: the enemies have primarily (but not entirely) arm-mounted weapons so if you can blow their arms off with the first salvo their ability to harm you will be significantly reduced. The third advantage is that only the Linebackers have Torpedos.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 24, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Ok so this is not an official LP update, but something related I worked on this weekend..I can now skip the underwater level if it keeps being a pain in the rear end :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smm57M1TrJU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it's causing you that much trouble, just use the invincibility cheat code that's built into the game Ctrl+Alt+Shift Blorb. It kills your honor, but it works.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

If it's causing you that much trouble, just use the invincibility cheat code that's built into the game Ctrl+Alt+Shift Blorb. It kills your honor, but it works.

well that's no fun is it? besides I can do a whole lot more with my custom trainer than just be invincible..anyway it was a technical challenge and a nice dive into C# again :)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I have never forgiven the executioner for the underwater mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, the Wolves lost the Refusal War (Mechwarrior 2). The Warden (aka sane) portions of the Clan fled to the Inner Sphere and would take up residence in the Lyran Commonwealth. The Crusader (aka crazy warmonger) faction of Clan Wolf got abandoned and left to die to the Jade Falcons.

Clan Jade Falcon claimed that they were actually trying to absorb the Wolves rather than annihilate them; but that got denied in a trial. So they reconstituted the Wolves as "Clan Jade Wolf," after which the new (Crusader) leader of Clan Jade Wolf immediately told them to pound sand and renamed the Clan to "Clan Wolf." They're exactly the same as the original Clan Wolf, but with their logo flipped because they're now a group of warmongering assholes.
Just throwing out a few additions. Not only did the new leader of the Wolves tell the Falcons to pound sand. He personally killed both Jade Falcon Kahns, one in a mech, the other in a fist fight, THEN said he's remaking Clan Wolf that's legally distinct from the Clan Wolf that hiked off to the Inner Sphere, to prevent the rest of the clans wiping his clan out on ANOTHER legal technicality.

quote:

Unfortunately for the Wolves, the sane half of Clan Wolf took most of their genetic legacies with them; so they're effectively half a Clan. The plot of Ghost Bear's Legacy is the Wolves trying to acquire Ghost Bear genetics to shore up their own crippled eugenics program. But rather than doing it in the sanctioned way (by trials for each individual bloodline they want to claim), the Wolves decided to steal the lot in a false flag operation.
Eh, Vlad Ward is trying to stir poo poo.

MW2 note that I remember from playing this when it came out. If you create a character named FreebirthToad in base MW2 it unlocks everything. If you have a name of Enzo it unlocks an Elemental, Tarantula, and Battlemaster for play (only in the freeplay mode, not campaign). Originally, the files for the Battlemaster were missing, so trying to launch in that mech meant that your game crashed.

Also holding Ctrl, alt, and shift, and typing "dorcs" will bring up an easter egg with photos of the crew that built the game.

There's a WHOLE bunch of cheats that are pretty easy to find in modern day, but those are the most interesting ones that don't actually break the game.