Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

There's a WHOLE bunch of cheats that are pretty easy to find in modern day, but those are the most interesting ones that don't actually break the game.

Well, those and Ctrl+Alt+Shift IDKFA

Oh, and the cheat that shows the Mech bounding spheres so you can gauge how vulnerable they are to incoming damage.

So if you ever wondered why the Warhawk loses its arms or the Mad Dog loses its legs if you look at them funny, the bounding spheres will show you why.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: Unwelcome advice, my apologies.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 27, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, those and Ctrl+Alt+Shift IDKFA

Oh, and the cheat that shows the Mech bounding spheres so you can gauge how vulnerable they are to incoming damage.

So if you ever wondered why the Warhawk loses its arms or the Mad Dog loses its legs if you look at them funny, the bounding spheres will show you why.

This also explains why Jenners seem to spontaneously explode - they take headshots more than any other 'mech in the game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This also explains why Jenners seem to spontaneously explode - they take headshots more than any other 'mech in the game.

That's correct. Edit: There's an early season of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries where you're stuck fighting a Jenner in a vastly inferior Commando, and it's pretty doable if you realize all you need to do is pitch your targeting reticle a fraction and you'll headcap it every time.

You'll probably also notice the Gargoyle doesn't have a head sphere at all. IIRC it does, it's just buried inside the model so it's basically immune to anything but incredibly lucky Gauss Rifle timing.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 25, 2024

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORaJbfqh3DI

This is the final vid, and I'm glad I'm done..these last missions really soured the game for me. I skipped the underwater mission after many tries, and the Orbital platform final mission was incredible bullshit and I just stopped caring.

Anyway thanks to all who followed along

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 27, 2024

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Sorry to hear that Ghost Bear was so bad. At first glance it's more of a good thing, but it's just executed so abysmally...

Like, sure, there're a bunch of new mechs to pilot... but you'll never get a chance to use any of them because the Timber Wolf is the only remotely viable mech for nearly the entire campaign. And the campaign has a bunch of new missions for you to run around shooting things in... but that campaign is complete and utter bullshit to the point of making the Jade Falcon campaign look like taking a nap, even including counterintuitive objectives such as not blowing up all the enemies or you fail.

Clearly GBL wasn't balanced with casual playthroughs in mind. Or at all. Maybe you should've played Mercs instead...

Side note: I've noticed a minor bug with the music (at least in the base game, assuming it's still a thing in GBL since it's clearly not a bugfix release). Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but the fact that every time you start the game the music shoots straight to 100% volume no matter what you've set it to and drowns everything else out seems to have caused you some issues (such as the aforementioned "don't kill this guy" mission).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wow, even having played an unreasonable amount of MW2 and Mercs late-90s-age-me would not have been able to get through that underwater level and probably not those others at the end either. That's peak 90s expansion pack logic, right there: you beat the original game so here's a "real challenge", only it's complete bullshit.

It also seems to suffer from a lack of explaining the new gimmicks well. Some of the mid-mission plot audio is hard to make out between music, alarms, explosions, and general combat focus. And level design, balance, etc just takes a nosedive too - like that big turret that just opens up on you as soon as the last mission starts, and the movement glitches, and such.

It's no wonder the enjoyment level took such a nosedive there towards the end.

Still, thanks for showing off the two games! It's always pretty awesome seeing someone do a good thread LPing a game that I have such fond memories of, even if there's definitely some rose-colored glasses and nostalgia there.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Sorry to hear that Ghost Bear was so bad. At first glance it's more of a good thing, but it's just executed so abysmally...

Like, sure, there're a bunch of new mechs to pilot... but you'll never get a chance to use any of them because the Timber Wolf is the only remotely viable mech for nearly the entire campaign. And the campaign has a bunch of new missions for you to run around shooting things in... but that campaign is complete and utter bullshit to the point of making the Jade Falcon campaign look like taking a nap, even including counterintuitive objectives such as not blowing up all the enemies or you fail.

Clearly GBL wasn't balanced with casual playthroughs in mind. Or at all. Maybe you should've played Mercs instead...

Side note: I've noticed a minor bug with the music (at least in the base game, assuming it's still a thing in GBL since it's clearly not a bugfix release). Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but the fact that every time you start the game the music shoots straight to 100% volume no matter what you've set it to and drowns everything else out seems to have caused you some issues (such as the aforementioned "don't kill this guy" mission).

Well to be fair, I was being a bit dramatic, being in a bad mood from trying to close out the LP and running into these hard bonus missions. There's plenty of good stuff here that I liked, like:

-Interesting new levels-
The ice planets with their large cliffs made for pretty nice scenery..the forest area with all the trees providing cover was pretty cool too. Really liked the purple/dark colors in the trial of Possession, giving mechs a 'glow in the dark' feel.
The space missions would be cool if you wouldn't have such a small area to work with, instantly putting you out of bounds if you take 5 steps. Underwater could've been fun without the 'every hit can potetntially kill you' mechanic.

-New dropship mechanics-
Minor but fun little details like getting dropped from a hatch opening, or doors opening or platforms pushing you upwards at the start of the mission were a nice touch.

-More story and briefing details-
They did a lot more with in-game voice-overs and little animations in the menus, which was cool. Audio balance was an issue yes sadly.

So plenty of good stuff, but some missed potential for sure.

I've had comments on Youtbe recommending Mercs Titanium edition on windows 10 using some Vogons installer..should give HD resolution etc, might check that out but not gonna LP that anytime soon. For a next LP I might do a replay of Far Cry 4 again..at least I know I can beat that game ;)

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wow, even having played an unreasonable amount of MW2 and Mercs late-90s-age-me would not have been able to get through that underwater level and probably not those others at the end either. That's peak 90s expansion pack logic, right there: you beat the original game so here's a "real challenge", only it's complete bullshit.

It also seems to suffer from a lack of explaining the new gimmicks well. Some of the mid-mission plot audio is hard to make out between music, alarms, explosions, and general combat focus. And level design, balance, etc just takes a nosedive too - like that big turret that just opens up on you as soon as the last mission starts, and the movement glitches, and such.

It's no wonder the enjoyment level took such a nosedive there towards the end.

Still, thanks for showing off the two games! It's always pretty awesome seeing someone do a good thread LPing a game that I have such fond memories of, even if there's definitely some rose-colored glasses and nostalgia there.

Glad you enjoyed it :) Those turrets at the last mission really felt like a big middlefinger..If I had played the expansion as a kid I might've persevered, but now I don't have that kind of time lol.
Talking about nostalgia, I think I played mercs as well in the 90s, but hardly have any memories of that one..so curious how that one would play these days. People seem to rank it pretty high.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I really liked the LP! It was really fun experiencing it with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I really liked the LP! It was really fun experiencing it with you.

Aw thanks :swoon: