Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Never use @echo off because you want to see errors when booting up because you lost the post-it with the sound card config on it.

Installing MS-DOS 5 means you don't have to fiddle with EDLIN any more. You can just delete EDLIN and never gently caress your CONFIG.SYS sideways ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Hello everybody,
My name is Bill Gates.

I have just written up an e-mail tracing program that traces everyone to whom this message is forwarded. I am experimenting with this and I need your help. Forward this to everyone you know and if it reaches 1000 people everyone on the list will receive $1,000 at my expense.

Enjoy.
Your friend,
Bill Gates

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
if your mac crashes sometimes you can hit the interrupt and type >G FINDER and it will recover

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ssds were created for enterprise workloads where a single image could be served up repeatedly but rarely overwritten, they are pointless and not intended for consumer use

e: just buy good quality hdds and don't rely on stupid server gimmicks and get excellent performance and stability plus they don't wear out over time like ssds and outperform them to boot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
your mom's an enterprise workload

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

graph posted:

if your mac crashes sometimes you can hit the interrupt and type >G FINDER and it will recover

lol this is the one i was gonna post

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

lol this is the one i was gonna post

:hfive:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

degauss that monitor

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

make sure your com ports have non-conflicting irqs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well-read undead posted:

make sure your com ports have non-conflicting irqs

i still do this tho?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
theres a version of qbasic that can compile exes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you want quieter computer fans move the ground wire for the fan from the ground pin to the 5 volt pin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
calmira ii + new95 can fool pretty much everyone if you also have win32s

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

i still do this tho?

so this is how you earned your reputation as an overachiever

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
don't put personal info online

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
1. if your f0310 dies, you *can* get by with a US104 AT-compatible but if you need the OSD, cross pins 4 and 6 with a breadboard switch while holding F on the keyboard if nobody can send a replacement though this only works on the ACE afaik

2. if you're doing anything needy, drop SX-Window for Human68k. do it early before memory gets ugly.

3. get around the pointer/API invalidation, make your own drat handles ($ed0072) first and then after breakchecking, make a process management pointer ($_PSPSET/FF26).
you can actually go into a lot of software and provided you're clever you can just add this yourself by hand and get a lot of things working in SXW which otherwise wouldn't, and have them still run correctly if you exit it

4. make sure you do this in versions of THE LUCKY BAG <2.0 for editing stuff, and do your main writing in 2.0

5. if you want to circumvent this for rapid remote editing, use Tera Term Pro 2.3 with ZMODEM XM.X and you can write your code on one machine, and just send it to the other via rs-232C
if you're very smart, you can reload parts of programs while they're running just by repopulating stuff: ideal if you want to modify say an occluder or physics but miserable if you're doing image data or sound work (you can't, don't even try)

e:

6. don't play geograph seal when you have things to do: you will lose an entire evening and nobody will be impressed with your score

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 23, 2024

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
If you don't put a terminator on the end of the SCSI cable chain, the bits will fall out the end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

goblin week posted:

don't put personal info online

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dont topquote

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dont use yenc, its not a standard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rtfm

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

you don’t need to do load “*”,8,1 on a c64, you can just do load “*”,8

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you gotta download this program that parks the hard drive heads before you shut your computer off

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

defrag your hard drive

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you can install litestep to make your windows computer faster

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

obligatory autoexec.bat and config.sys tweaking. having a nice collection of artisanal boot 3.5” floppies so you boot with different poo poo loaded into memory to get certain games to work right

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

using doublespace/drivespace to eke a bit more life out of the family 486s 170mb hard drive

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

DR-DOS

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

PC-DOS

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

MS-DOS 6.22

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I remember as a kid when we got a special hard drive controller that increased drive capacity by like 20%. I think it used run length encoding

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

git apologist posted:

obligatory autoexec.bat and config.sys tweaking. having a nice collection of artisanal boot 3.5” floppies so you boot with different poo poo loaded into memory to get certain games to work right

Gotta keep every last byte of that 640K free for running Harpoon.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

using a hole punch to make a notch in the side of a 5.25" floppy to double the storage capacity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you put two drives on the same cable remember to set the jumper on one to master and one to slave

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also don’t put two drives on the same cable, it can’t access them at the same time.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

use a screensaver to prevent burn in

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
be kind, rewind

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

using a hole punch to make a notch in the side of a 5.25" floppy to double the storage capacity

i forgot about this. the special punches were so neat :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
dont use a screensaver or desktop that are high quality bc it takes up too much ram