Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sweevo posted:

i assume it's a 16-bit exe and won't run on x64 systems?

you can run 16-bit windows binaries using wine (under WSL in this case, i guess, idk if it supports mingw). support goes back to windows 1.x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the school-installed novell system you can install a printer by opening a help function then escape out to file explorer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
type “net send <machine> <message>” and it will pop up a message on that machine

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tunicate posted:

In the school-installed novell system you can install a printer by opening a help function then escape out to file explorer

we used to do this to access file explorer and then use it as a web browser.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If your institution has locked down IE6 and removed the address bar, you can still create bookmarks and use those to navigate out to Google

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The scrolling text screensaver in Windows only lets you choose from 16 text colors in the config menu, but if you edit a config file you can set it to any RGB value. You can actually have orange text!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Komojo posted:

The scrolling text screensaver in Windows only lets you choose from 16 text colors in the config menu, but if you edit a config file you can set it to any RGB value. You can actually have orange text!

holy poo poo

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Great so now CSPAM thinks I actually had sex with a printer and can't be trusted around printers.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

Great so now CSPAM thinks I actually had sex with a printer and can't be trusted around printers.

lol, how did they misunderstand loving and cumming in your computer as a printer thing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

wow thats pretty gross, i cant believe you did that. printers are the worst

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol, how did they misunderstand loving and cumming in your computer as a printer thing?

I said you should artificially inseminate the yellow ink reservoir of your HP inkjet cartridge with a used hypodermic needle. There's a big difference and it's an ecologically sound way to reduce e-waste and hazardous downtown litter.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Internet Old One posted:

I said you should artificially inseminate the yellow ink reservoir of your HP inkjet cartridge

idk man maybe you shouldnt have said that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dig up

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

rotor posted:

Maybe. Do you work for HP?
(kidding kidding I'll stop)
But they were seriously trying to get YOSPOS shut down over it.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 20, 2024

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Internet Old One posted:

Maybe. Do you work for HP?
(kidding kidding I'll stop)
But they were seriously trying to get YOSPOS shut down over it.

people are real mad about yospos for reasons i do not understand

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jose is an absolute loving moron and everyone in QCS called him an idiot for that thread.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i think he should say more and in an even grosser way

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thomas pynchon made up a kind of ink you need to jack off on in order for it to be visible and it made people so mad they didnt give out a pulitzer prize in fiction that year.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jose is an absolute loving moron and everyone in QCS called him an idiot for that thread.

Nah CSPAN was calling me a sex pest.
You know Xerox fired the guy who invented the color framebuffer?

Give it 30 years and everyone will understand.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk who jose is and honestly if you read cspam you sort of deserve whatever happens next

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

blowing into the cartridge is ok but can cause issues, swabbing the contacts with rubbing alcohol usually works better

also keep your carts where things cant smudge the contacts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rotor posted:

idk who jose is and honestly if you read cspam you sort of deserve whatever happens next

ex gibbis mod who stayed in miami during a hurricane evacuation and toxxed that Russia wouldn't invade Ukraine

so, y'know, definitely someone who makes good decisions

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

who the gently caress are you?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blue orange green brown slate white red black yellow violet (rose aqua)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

not really obsolete but

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
maybe if I blew my printer it'd talk to cups properly

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
No please back to forums drama, who cares about himem and which tie fighter game had the best imuse system i sure don't

It was the floppy version.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
set up a menu in your autoexec.bat to load EMS, XMS, none, or emm386 to maximize your usable memory. cd rom driver optional.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i liked it when you had to type in a code that was printed on a red sheet so you couldnt photocopy it

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Humans

https://magisterrex.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/yesterdays-copy-protection-schemes-the-humans/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fart simpson posted:

ssds were created for enterprise workloads where a single image could be served up repeatedly but rarely overwritten, they are pointless and not intended for consumer use

e: just buy good quality hdds and don't rely on stupid server gimmicks and get excellent performance and stability plus they don't wear out over time like ssds and outperform them to boot

you don't need to buy expensive, small capacity 10000 or 15000 rpm enterprise hard disks

instead, just buy a normal 7200rpm drive and only partition the outer ring of the drive, leave the rest as unformatted space

short stroke that disk!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

The Management posted:

set up a menu in your autoexec.bat to load EMS, XMS, none, or emm386 to maximize your usable memory. cd rom driver optional.

Gotta bust you here buddy you set this up in config.sys. But you can chain your menu choices to autoexec.bat in dos 6.0 and higher. Then you can make additional options in autoexec.bat with choice.exe.

Protip for nerds only!
Since ANSI.SYS is loaded in config.sys why not spice up your autoexec.bat with some sick ansi graphics from your local BBS! Skulls, fire, blood, and comic book characters the sky is the limit!

I think I'm going to make up for my cum printers and forum drama posting and go in depth about how you can do the same running a lower version of dos using GWBASIC or QBASIC

How's that possible? You can't compile using those versions of basic and microsoft deliberately crippled them by removing the ability to set errorlevels with SYSTEM?

Well you can use the /run parameter on your basic interpreter in order to launch programs from the cli. Then you can use temporary files and check for their existence in a supporting batch file to set the error level.

I'm going to cover these and some other kludgy batchfile hacks in greater detail in some subsequent posts. It's likely that I'll touch on some BIOS routines, assembly, and DOS system calls but it'll be time consuming to do the writeup so standby.

I'll tag all of these for SA search with the string "CUMPRINTER80386" so you can find them.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
than you /u/cumprinter420

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

i liked it when you had to type in a code that was printed on a red sheet so you couldnt photocopy it

there were some black ink on dark purple pages that were a similar idea. konami was really into them for their computer game ports.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

what happens next?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Roosevelt posted:

who the gently caress are you?

hes a senior regular qcs/sad poster

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

graph posted:

if your mac crashes sometimes you can hit the interrupt and type >G FINDER and it will recover

fun fact: this works because the microbug interpreter has a weird algorithm for determining what invalid addresses like the string "FINDER" resolve to, and "FINDER" resolves to an odd address. odd addresses are illegal on the 68k platform, so the firmware responds to that by just terminating the current process and handing control back to the finder :eng101:

the official way to do this is to execute SM 0 A9F4 G 0, which puts an ExitToShell trap at physical address 0 and jumps to it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Some day when I am senile and belligerent I will wrestle the nurse's computer away and attempt to restart it by typing PR#6.

Also, setting up a menu in Windows' autoexec.bat to select the special configurations needed to make each of my DOS computer games work, after having done extensive fiddling with irq and COM ports and extended memory settings like Ken Mattingly trying to reboot Apollo 13.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you can use SUBST to map a directory as a drive in dos. some games that expect to be on a cd check to make sure they’re in the root of a drive, so if you copy them to your hard drive this helps make them work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hah i used SUBST to make it feel like i had a separate .txt file drive hel yeahhhh