Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh yeah, these are great.

War is told way too often from the viewpoint of a satellite that can't see anything other than unit formations, map points and dates of the big battles.

But war is personal, it's unique for every participant and it is descriptive and sobering in a way that a general's hand waving of events could never be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Moon Slayer posted:

Grandpa Has More Thoughts About Pax Americana

And with that we've pretty much reached the end of anything that could be tangentially related to grandpa's military service, which is the reason I figured his writing might be of some interest to people here in the first place. Still, there's a couple more things I could post if people want, like the time he met President Carter, or the time my mom was a toddler and fell off the staircase and he and grandma had an argument about whether or not shaking her was the right thing to do.

The last 6 lines on page 222 certainly haven't aged well.

Otherwise this is great stuff and your Grandpa sounds like an outstanding guy.