Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poque posted:

Orlando City Soccer Club makes me so mad. That isn't the name of your town.

The way that MLS and its fandom tries to emulate European soccer, specifically the premiereship, sucks so bad. We don't have to copy other leagues, America has great fans and great traditions. We got people walking around here in Austin FC scarves and poo poo, no one in history has worn a scarf in Austin TX prior to 2018. Invent your own traditions. In America we name teams after plural nouns. If we run out of names that end in -s, we can use other irregular group nouns, but nobody is happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

will_colorado posted:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/story/2024-03-26/minor-league-baseball-indicted-jack-box-del-taco-insider-trading

Minor leaguers charged with insider trading Del Taco and Jack In the Box stocks is not a phrase I ever expected

I had no idea Jack in the Box bought Del Taco. No wonder the quality has nosedived.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Are there other cities that have some kind of theme about their sports teams across leagues or just the Windy Apple?
Ted Turner supposedly considered renaming the Braves to Eagles to match Hawks and Falcons.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I mean yeah, things can always get worse I suppose, but the way I see it Rubenstein is 74, already made his billions, is from Baltimore and very likely won't be trying to extort the city for a new stadium. I don't know the guy's motives of course but I can't believe the guy is doing this just to cheap out and become hated in his hometown
Yeah from what we've seen in recent years the worst category of owner is billionaire fail-son. These guys always seem to want to prove their business acumen by cutting costs and pocketing profits. They also have absolutely terminal rich guy entitlement brain.

I'm not sure why none of the fail-sons end up the fun loving party type who wants to spend lavishly on things like good baseball players. I guess if they had that personality they'd be taking the Hunter Biden path not running their dad's baseball team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1773033642484281480

Seems fine. Berti is a useful player and likely will hit better than Cabrera.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ted Turner supposedly considered renaming the Braves to Eagles to match Hawks and Falcons.

But think about the years and years of discourse we would've lost

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

*chomps beak*
Screeeeeeeeooooooooeeeeooooo
Screeeeeeeeooooooooeeeeooooo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Sydin posted:

This makes sense though, I mean look how poor the Yankees are:

https://twitter.com/kbadenhausen/status/1772583844060741937

the poor st. louis cardinals just can't afford to spend money to attract high quality free agents

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mike_V posted:

the poor st. louis cardinals just can't afford to spend money to attract high quality free agents

Their value is in the red, that means it went down right :v:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

when names started being added to player uniforms Turner paid Andy Messersmith to put "Channel" on the back his number 17 jersey to promote WTBS

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

Their value is in the red, that means it went down right :v:

Even the lovely rear end 2023 Mets were more valuable than the 2022 Mets, who won 101 games and made the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

zoux posted:

The way that MLS and its fandom tries to emulate European soccer, specifically the premiereship, sucks so bad. We don't have to copy other leagues, America has great fans and great traditions. We got people walking around here in Austin FC scarves and poo poo, no one in history has worn a scarf in Austin TX prior to 2018. Invent your own traditions. In America we name teams after plural nouns. If we run out of names that end in -s, we can use other irregular group nouns, but nobody is happy about it.

I dunno, I thought Washington Football Team was great and they should have kept it

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Acuña in the Players Tribune with some nice stuff about his family, path to the major leagues, his injury, etc. Nothing super juicy discourse-wise afaict.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Even the lovely rear end 2023 Mets were more valuable than the 2022 Mets, who won 101 games and made the playoffs.

It's just a finance joke to make fun of them using the team colors on their chart lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Did the new jerseys ever get fixed?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

It's just a finance joke to make fun of them using the team colors on their chart lol

I know. I was pointing out that it's pretty much impossible for any team to lose money, regardless of their record. The Mets spent a shitload of money on players, their record dropped from 101-61 to 75-87, and they STILL made more money than the previous year. :psyduck:

Any team owner who cries poor is lying

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I know. I was pointing out that it's pretty much impossible for any team to lose money, regardless of their record. The Mets spent a shitload of money on players, their record dropped from 101-61 to 75-87, and they STILL made more money than the previous year. :psyduck:

Any team owner who cries poor is lying

A good and fair point.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was just looking at the Jays from 2019 and I am unsure if I was just checked out for that season, or really was that forgettable? Trent Thornton had the most starts, Clay Bucholz was on this team, Edwin Jackson on his 14th team got some disastrous starts, Freddy Galvis was the starting SS, and both Justin Smoak and Aaron Sanchez were still with the team (I thought they were gone years prior).

It feels like a fever dream. I only started looking at this team again because of Foolish Baseball's recent video about Elvis Luciano.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

David Rubenstein posted:

“When this opportunity came along, I thought, ‘OK, what I can do is help support the town that was good to me growing up. The town that my parents were born in, that I was born, my parents are buried in, and I will no doubt be buried in as well,’” Rubenstein told The Baltimore Banner. “I don’t want to oversell what I can do, but I would say I do feel an obligation to pay back the country and also pay back Baltimore for my good fortune.”

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/...adfu-Bl1aXH6kA0

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1773053621510266895

feels like a pretty good deal for the best not-braves NL catcher to be locked down forever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How much money is deferred through 2200?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes but you see I only have a rooting interest in one of those teams so therefore that one is worse.

Anyway, lol

stupid sexy Mauer

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno, I thought Washington Football Team was great and they should have kept it

agreed, no idea why they didn't, or why Cleavland didn't become the Cleavland Baseball Team

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tatsuta Age posted:

feels like a pretty good deal for the best not-braves NL catcher to be locked down forever

10 years for a catcher sure is a decision

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He IS leading the league in PAs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just start calling him Pudge, it'll be all good

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

10 years is probably too long but $14m a year is also an underpay so it's basically just a deferral

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Smith is probably the most underrated catcher in MLB right now in that he gets pretty much zero fanfare despite playing on the Dodgers and averaging >3 WAR a season. Singing him through his age 39 season is a bit optimistic but yeah as pointed out it's essentially a deferral without being an deferral.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

I was just looking at the Jays from 2019 and I am unsure if I was just checked out for that season, or really was that forgettable? Trent Thornton had the most starts, Clay Bucholz was on this team, Edwin Jackson on his 14th team got some disastrous starts, Freddy Galvis was the starting SS, and both Justin Smoak and Aaron Sanchez were still with the team (I thought they were gone years prior).

It feels like a fever dream. I only started looking at this team again because of Foolish Baseball's recent video about Elvis Luciano.

That was the year I really started watching and boy howdy were they bad

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Brewers-Mets and Braves-Phillies opening day games are rained out

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

zoux posted:

What, and give up the stupidest name in professional sports history

I mean the Commanders are like right there

Naming a DC team after the antagonists in The Handmaid's Tale is some galaxy brained poo poo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

My comeuppance for complaining about that off day all these years

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

will_colorado posted:

when names started being added to player uniforms Turner paid Andy Messersmith to put "Channel" on the back his number 17 jersey to promote WTBS

I like to think there’s a parallel Earth where George W Bush was nothing more than the doofiest MLB commissioner, Donald Trump was nothing more than an NFL owner everyone hated, and Ted Turner spent the rest of his days doing Charley Finley poo poo like that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ted Turner gave us the hilarious slow motion implosion of WCW back in the 90s, so that at least is something cool and good about this universe

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Pussy Boss posted:

SoCal is supposed to get a shitload of rain, hoping the games down there don't get rained out as well.

Edit: Rain actually looks like it doesn't start till Saturday, probably good then

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

zoux posted:

50/50 scarves for some random league fixture deserve to die a horrible death. A cup final one as a momento? Vaguely acceptable but I'd never wear one

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

hell yeah! Been waiting awhile for a Will Smith extension and I was kinda starting to think they wouldn't get it done.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

10 years feels super long for a catcher who turns 29 tomorrow but 14 mil a year for for a top 5-10ish catcher is about what they're getting on the market recently

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

its like deferment inception, they're doing the old NHL thing of making the contract duration longer to spread it out and lower the AAV, then there's deferrals on top of that

Friedman stays winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

One of the reasons I've bounced so hard off soccer I think is how much people in the US just cargo cult fandom from Europe. There's the NYCFC vs Red Bulls games which are the Hudson River Derby and people I know who were all born in the US will say "darby" and it's so fuckin' dumb.