Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I wonder if it’s fair to ask if Boras overplayed his hand here

Sure, Bellinger can opt out, but this isn’t a lot of guaranteed money and it doesn’t seem all that likely to me that future markets will be much friendlier to him than this one was, especially as we draw closer to another CBA fight

Maybe some team is willing to invest in him if he proves 2023 wasn’t a fluke, but that seems like a big if

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The Braves value having two starting-caliber catchers extremely highly and have since before AA took over

The team also considers d’Arnaud a core clubhouse guy

I can’t really envision a scenario where it makes sense to trade him. He’s not going to bring in a haul, and it’s not like the Braves have a desperate need for a back-end starter or middle reliever

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Even if everything is completely above board and there is never an integrity issue, baseball getting into bed with gambling is really distasteful

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I’ll be curious to see if Boras has to do the same kind of deal with the pitchers as well

It makes a certain amount of sense that he had to resort to what are essentially pillow contracts for Bellinger and Chapman, because the market for position players is always going to be smaller. But every contender needs another high-end pitcher, so in theory he should be less willing to bend on the other two. On the other hand, the clock is ticking down if these guys want to be on an Opening Day roster, and the teams have been successful at not meeting his demands this offseason

I wouldn’t want to go six or seven years on Snell, but if the parameters of the deal are now a three-year deal with opt-outs, the Braves should absolutely be in on it. Push Lopez, Elder, and the young guys further down the depth chart and give yourself some insurance against Sale and Morton’s health

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
A-Rod would have gone for the highest possible deal even if Scott Boras sold aluminum siding

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
This is kind of Dombrowski’s MO, no

Once he gets a team winning he signs all the players to billion-dollar extensions then does the shocked pikachu face when those players get old and aren’t worth the money anymore

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I imagine they sign Montgomery by the end of the day now

I feel like they can quite easily finish last without him

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Bauer will still be out there trying to scrounge up a contract when he’s fifty

He lives and breathes attention, and the idea that no one cares about him anymore will always be more than he can bear

I can’t really imagine him quietly retiring and opening up a car dealership somewhere

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

ALFbrot posted:

N: Paul Skenes

V: PAUL SKENES PAUL SKENES

It’ll be fascinating to see how the Pirates waste him, and what the underwhelming return they get will be when they trade him in Arb2

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Weiner’s CBAs were a complete disaster for the players so it’s weird to see them fighting in his name like he’s some fallen hero

Anyway, it’s disheartening to see dissension among the players like this

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Mariners? Padres?

That’s the number six organization in baseball to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s weird to say it but Rutschman is kind of old for a player in his service bracket

He’s less than a year younger than Austin Riley, who’s been in the majors for four years. He’s older than Vlad Jr, who’s a FA next offseason

I could see a long-term megadeal going south for him relatively quickly, no matter how good he is right now. I normally sneer at the O’s cheapness but I think there’s a case for going year to year with him unless he’s offering a major bargain