Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I'm so excited, friends. Today is the day the Chicago Cubs re-sign Cody Bellinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

The Nats having a run on outfielders going from Harper to Soto to Wood is pretty crazy

Dylan Crews right there too. It's a shame Victor Robles didn't pan out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

IT HAPPENED

IT REALLY loving HAPPENED

WE DID IT CUBSPOSTERS

Bregor
May 31, 2013

bawfuls posted:

Congrats cubsposters, you manifested it through tireless posting

gently caress yeah we did :doit:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Roster Resource originally had Belli at 1B, Busch at 3B, and Madrigal rightly on the bench. :unsmith:

Now they have Belli in CF, Busch at 1B, and Madrigal back at 3B :shrug:

I’m guessing this will all depend on a. if Busch actually hits, and b. which one of Shaw or PCA proves they’re ready first.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

live with fruit posted:

The Cubs got a bunch of centerfielders now. They should give the Padres one.

You’re right. Have fun with Mike Tauchman.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

Oh no I guess Matt Mervis will have to play left field.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

If there’s one thing I hate it’s insufferable assholes

Now excuse me while I log on to the Something Awful dot com forums

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

I wouldn't want to live near DC I don't blame him

:hmmyes:

I moved away from that swamp ages ago, just visited some friends this past weekend and it was great but I absolutely do not want to live there again.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://x.com/samblum3/status/1765151544130076979?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

What a pain in the dick

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

For real, plus he seems like the ideal clubhouse guy. Some team with a shitload of young talent would do really well to bring him aboard.

Feels like an Orioles move but they have a ton of 1B/DH/OF corner types to play. It’s why Cincy is passing in the first place. Kansas City already has that veteran clubhouse guy in Sal Perez. Pittsburgh has Cutch. Arizona filled their DH spot with Joc, who doesn’t seem like a clubhouse guy but can still hit righties.

What other up and coming teams have a need like that? Maybe Detroit?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"You have to C it" is the Cubs' slogan this year. Just begging to be changed to "You hate to C it."

Probably still better than "That's Cub" though.

So the first tweet capitalized "It", and the first time I read it my brain saw "You have to Clit" and now I can't unsee it

Bregor
May 31, 2013

zoux posted:

Do you guys not eat the standard American diet?

I’ve been eating a lot healthier for the last few months but honestly that looks good as hell

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think Michael Busch might be better than Matt Mervis :ohdear:

More like, Busch is good and will get PT with Counsell :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZTRzVMT6QQ

Gonna be so much GDT posting with HEAD FOR THE MOUNTAINS

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just checked Roster Resource and they also have Vogelbach on an NRI. They really do not want Kirk or Jansen getting any starts at DH do they

But who cares, Votto owns and I hope he plays til he's 50

Bregor
May 31, 2013

zoux posted:

Make sure he gets the Albert Pujols Farewell Tour balls

But enough about the new pants

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://x.com/sahadevsharma/status/1766506341340692782?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

BALLS OF STEELE

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

So we remain lucky, got it.

lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

So over the winter I signed up for NordVPN and now mlb dot com and mlb dot tv just show a blank white page in Chrome whenever I'm using the app. Tried opening a ticket with Nord and they've had me change a bunch of app and OS settings to no avail. Any other goons having issues?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Can Trevor Bauer just gently caress off forever?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

elentar posted:

I think he ends up in prison, guys with that type of proclivity, mindset, and documented behavior don’t just stop

Yeah there's a very likely "OJ getting busted for armed robbery" outcome to his life story

Also agree with Sydin here, his dickishness combined with the admitted use of the Sticky Stuff during his 2018 season will keep teams skeptical enough to (hopefully) let him gently caress off forever

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

The great thing about spring training is you can completely write it off as meaningless when your team looks bad and simultaneously declare that Matt Shaw is going to win the MVP this year

It will be hard to Matt Shaw to win NL MVP this year when it should clearly go to Owen Caissie

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

I’d be happier about our #2 pipeline ranking if our most exciting prospects weren’t position-locked. Cmon Cade.

I think the only positions that are 100% locked are Mansby and Nico. They can move a lot of the other pieces around and none of their top prospects are plus-plus defensive shortstops anyway so it's not like they're blocking anybody. I saw one spring game Seiya was in LF, which threw me a bit, but I would imagine they might want Caissie or Alcantara in RF if things go well in Iowa / poorly in Chicago.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Of those five, I've been the most impressed by Caissie so far.

He has the loudest tool (power) I think, which is also the most exciting tool in general. PCA’s defense is probably the highest on the scale but it won’t matter if he can’t hit enough to stay in the lineup.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

If I were to take a guess I'd say it's PCA > Caissie > Alcantara > Canario > Davis from most to least untouchable, although Caissie's been making quite the case since last year to be flipped with PCA. Alcantara is meanwhile still a lot of toolsy hype, Davis can't stay healthy, and Canario probably just gets squeezed out past a certain point unless there's a big OF injury or he proves he's a better 4th OF option than Tauchman.

PCA's got baseline value solely with his glove and legs, but he's had a miserable spring and I think he's gonna have to prove for longer he can hit in AAA before he gets another look. Caissie struck out way too much in AA last year but did it while putting up eye-boggling batted ball metrics, followed by doing nothing but hitting the poo poo out of the ball this spring. Feels like he could get fast-tracked up, especially since they've apparently been tinkering with having him at 1B as well.

Iowa is gonna rake all day with my friends Pete Crow-Armstrong and Owen Caissie and Matt Mervis :unsmith:

Seriously though I don't mind Tauchman as a 4th OF. If it was Rossy again I'd worry about him getting more PT and keeping Belli at 1st but I'm more confident Counsell will be smarter about how to handle the CF 1B 3B situations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Sports literally adds nothing positive to my life.

Uh what about the SAS posting experience?!?!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It was Reed Johnson!

He settled for 3 million but because he was cut in spring training the Jays only owed him 500k

And it was in fact Ricciardi who did it.

Not sure if the rules are still the same and settled cases can be terminated like this still but I knew that 1/6th rule existed for a while.

Reed Johnson is such a "remember some guys?" type of player

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I was looking up Cease's 2025 status (arb 3) and saw that the White Sox are paying Moncada $24.8 million this year? lololololol that's Tony Rendon thievery right there! gently caress Jerry get paid Yoan.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Cease is younger and I don't think it's hard to argue has a higher ceiling than Montgomery and probably Snell, I don't think it's surprising the Yankees would rather trade for him than sign one of those guys, especially given their tax hit.

I agree that’s a reasonable plan, but the pessimistic view is Cease is who he was last season, and dealing top tier prospects for him and hoping for his 2022 production is an even worse outcome than just signing someone as a stopgap.

Montgomery has the highest floor of any of them, still surprised he isn’t signed yet. I guess it’s no coincidence that Belli and Chapman signed option-laden deals but the SPs just want to get paid now before their ligaments and tendons explode.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Feels like a GBS photoshop thread

Bregor
May 31, 2013

will_colorado posted:

Aroldis touching the upper 90s again.

:thurman:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Giolito just had this done, no? Idea would be they can start a throwing program a few months earlier but yeah still missing the season if he gets surgery.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Oh poo poo Samuel Zavala too, that’s a nice haul

Bregor
May 31, 2013

This is all conjecture but I feel like it's less of a panic move and more that a lot of teams were trying to get Cease on the cheap, then SP arms started exploding, and the price started going up. Chicago did very well here, I feel like San Diego didn't overpay, and the Yankees are left out in the cold. Win-win-win.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://x.com/JeffPassan/status/1768101386011513183?s=20

lol Brewers, but my poor fantasy teams :negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mona Lisa Saperstein Reinsdorf has a nice ring to it

Bregor
May 31, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

this has been a very confusing off season. not only is the coolest, best pitcher still not signed, snell and montgomery aren't either. the big C word seems like it could have been a real thing

uh the Cubs re-signed Kyle Hendricks, don’t know what you’re talking about

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

ive preemptively had TJS on both elbows in preparation for cubsposting this season

Might need to put in a few weeks of Iowa Cubsposting myself. Want to be in the Best Posting Shape of My Life

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Well Played Mauer posted:

Angel Hernandez memorial

Not yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Driving to Tom Ricketts mansion to personally give him an increasingly discomforting series of wedgies and gently shove his dumb face into a toilet until he agrees to BRING SAMMY BACK.

This game owned, I played the poo poo out of it on PC