Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

What did he do?

We have a female captive imprinted owl at the tourist center where I work who doesn't get along with any of the female staff. She doesn't outright attack them but she will puff herself up and try to bully them if they get too close to her perch.

He was decidedly a straight male Peregrine falcon who thought he was a person but acted like a bird, so you know... all those women I worked with at that place, from boss to coworker - if they worked with him, they were part of his harem. He was very charming, that's why he made a great educational animal.
My experience with Dash's horseshit, after knowing him for years as a volunteer and then working with him as staff, was my boss (a woman) telling me to go clean the carcasses and stuff out of his mew, and then walking off and talking to a couple other employees (both women) on the way in. I got in with a push broom and a rake and never even started cleaning his mew before I saw a 3lb dinosaur made out of razor blades just silently drop to the ground in front of me. He was not happy about what he just saw. It wasn't even that any of us were hitting on each other, heavens no I'm not hitting on a bunch of lesbians; it's just that he's a dumb dinosaur birdbrain, and he thinks he's a person, and it's really weird and hard to deal with in real life when real life stuff happens. I had to throw the rake at him and then run for the broom against the wall, shoo him with the broom and then jump back into the airlock that latched with hook loop fasteners and ditch the broom. It was not very fun.

He got to educate a lot of people and make his mark on the reintroduction of his species before he kicked the bucket, though.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

We have a female captive imprinted owl at the tourist center where I work who doesn't get along with any of the female staff. She doesn't outright attack them but she will puff herself up and try to bully them if they get too close to her perch.

MrQwerty posted:

He was decidedly a straight male Peregrine falcon who thought he was a person but acted like a bird, so you know... all those women I worked with at that place, from boss to coworker - if they worked with him, they were part of his harem. He was very charming, that's why he made a great educational animal.

How the hell does a bird even know the difference?

It's not like male humans have extra bright plumage and a territorial song.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's a great question, and I can anecdotally confirm that they absolutely can. My human-imprinted female lovebird would systematically flirt with any man in the room.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Subtle visual cues, differences in voice and behavior? Odor perhaps?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Klyith posted:

Because they have eyes and noses and ears and brains

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

uh

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Klyith posted:

I am wearing a hi-viz shirt and singing Try That in a Small Town

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
flock go

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Makes me wonder who the most famous real bird is.

That Harvard parrot maybe?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

big bird

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redshirt posted:

Matt damon?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mike, the headless chicken (e: maybe a bit :nms: for some) was pretty famous.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2024

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Want there a thread a while back about owls with dicks? Was this one of those owls

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

He's not real

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The owl died trying to gently caress that building so probably

Gimmick Poster
Aug 29, 2006
Don't look at your carpet; I drew something awful on it
The saddening death of bubo bubo.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

redshirt posted:

it's Taylor Swift innit

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AlmightyBob posted:

it's Taylor Swift innit

Dee Reynolds

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That King of the Hill episode where Dale gets a falcon and it keeps attacking Bill

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

at least flaco didn't fly into the twin towers

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

redshirt posted:

He's not real

he's real big

for a bird

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Dee Reynolds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYh2dvoeN8

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been trying to think of any, but can't think of a single famous bird. No hawks or eagles or owls.

Like what about that hawk from that Rutger Hauer fantasy movie?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
A senseless death like this should give NYC ample reason to enact building height restrictions. I say no more buildings higher than any trees in central park. All existing buildings taller than that need to be lowered immediately!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Capitalism is too important to humiliate our big dick buildings, birds just need to move to another city

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

redshirt posted:

I've been trying to think of any, but can't think of a single famous bird. No hawks or eagles or owls.

Like what about that hawk from that Rutger Hauer fantasy movie?

Alex the African grey

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What of ground beasts then? Put buildings above the ground and below the sky

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The compromise is we demolish the supertalls with the owners of them inside them

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redshirt posted:

the previous famous NYC predator bird in the big city?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pYWHh-3rdo

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Speaking of killing chickens, I got to be severely traumatized one week when I was six years old and our family was on vacation and visiting both sets of grandparents. They all raised chickens.

At my grandmother's place she declared we should have some fried chicken for dinner and that my siblings and I needed to see how to kill a chicken. Life-skills and all that. She pulls one out of the coop, grabs it by the neck/head and spins it around like a 90 mph underhand softball pitch. The breaking of the neck was audible. From deciding to have chicken for dinner to being prepped that chicken lived only 30 seconds more.

That same week, same vacation we go to the grandparent's place on my father's side. "Let's have some fried chicken for dinner!" I was mortified. His method was to chop the head off. Axe, chopping block, hold it down. With the head off he let it run around, headless, until it fell over; a good 20-30 seconds. He would chuckle a bit and so would all of the adults. My siblings and I were just speechless.

All in all though, they were very tasty chickens.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

Alex the African grey

The Harvard parrot

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah she died a while back and trump buried her at his golf course for a tax break, lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

That King of the Hill episode where Dale gets a falcon and it keeps attacking Bill

Lol i can hear his screams

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

redshirt posted:

The Harvard parrot
The red bird who goes ueueueue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewf-8rx9_uQ

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want a parrot so bad

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Internetjack posted:

Speaking of killing chickens, I got to be severely traumatized one week when I was six years old and our family was on vacation and visiting both sets of grandparents. They all raised chickens.

At my grandmother's place she declared we should have some fried chicken for dinner and that my siblings and I needed to see how to kill a chicken. Life-skills and all that. She pulls one out of the coop, grabs it by the neck/head and spins it around like a 90 mph underhand softball pitch. The breaking of the neck was audible. From deciding to have chicken for dinner to being prepped that chicken lived only 30 seconds more.

That same week, same vacation we go to the grandparent's place on my father's side. "Let's have some fried chicken for dinner!" I was mortified. His method was to chop the head off. Axe, chopping block, hold it down. With the head off he let it run around, headless, until it fell over; a good 20-30 seconds. He would chuckle a bit and so would all of the adults. My siblings and I were just speechless.

All in all though, they were very tasty chickens.

I like the South Park ep where congress decides how to fix the economy by cutting off a chicken's head and letting its body run around on a game board while a guy plays a kazoo in the background.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Wifi Toilet posted:

A senseless death like this should give NYC ample reason to enact building height restrictions. All existing buildings taller than that need to be lowered immediately!

Didn’t that policy already go into effect on 9/11/01?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flavor Bear posted:

Alex the African grey

If dead birds count, Martha, the last passenger pigeon, is one of the most famous.

I’m partial to the British war pigeon Cher Ami.

Grape-kun has a funny and sad story.

Sirocco is one of the more famous living birds, but that’s not saying much.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Grape-kun has a funny and sad story.

Is that the penguin that married a cutout of an anime girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flaco died as he lived, full of rat poison and being ravaged by pigeon herpes. :rip:

NYT posted:

Flaco, the Eurasian eagle-owl whose escape from the Central Park Zoo and life on the loose captivated New York, had enough rat poison and pigeon virus in his system to kill him even if he had not died after apparently striking an Upper West Side building last month.

The finding, from a necropsy conducted by Bronx Zoo pathologists after Flaco’s death on Feb. 23, validated widespread concerns about the hazards he faced living as a free bird in Manhattan for just over a year. He would have turned 14 this month.

“Flaco’s severe illness and death are ultimately attributed to a combination of factors — infectious disease, toxin exposures and traumatic injuries — that underscore the hazards faced by wild birds, especially in an urban setting,” the Wildlife Conservation Society, which operates the Central Park and Bronx Zoos, said in a statement on Monday.

Initial necropsy findings released the day after what onlookers described as a deadly building strike suggested Flaco had sustained an acute traumatic injury to his body, with signs of substantial hemorrhage under his sternum and in his back near his liver.

There was also evidence of bleeding behind his left eye, but no signs of head trauma or broken bones, the society said. Flaco was in “good body condition,” with “good muscling” and “adequate fat stores.” He weighed 4.1 pounds at death, just one-tenth of a pound lighter than at his last weigh-in at the zoo.

The society said at the time of the initial findings that additional tests were needed to determine whether any underlying factors had contributed to his death.

In confirming the role of traumatic injuries, those tests found he had a severe pigeon herpesvirus, which the conservation society attributed to his eating feral pigeons.

The herpesvirus in question can be carried by healthy pigeons but may cause fatal disease in birds of prey, including owls that become infected by eating pigeons, the society said.

In Flaco’s case, the society said, the viral infection had caused severe tissue damage and inflammation in many organs, including the spleen, liver, gastrointestinal tract, bone marrow and brain.

Toxicity tests also determined that Flaco had been exposed to four different anticoagulant rodenticides that are commonly used for rat control in New York City.

Together, the conservation society said, the pigeon virus and rodenticide exposure “would have been debilitating and ultimately fatal, even without a traumatic injury, and may have predisposed him to flying into or falling from the building.”

No other contributing factors were identified through the extensive testing that was performed.

Toxicology tests also revealed trace amounts of DDE, a breakdown product of the pesticide DDT, which has been banned in the United States since the early 1970s. Although the levels detected did not contribute to Flaco’s death, the society said, the finding was a “reminder of the long legacy of DDT and its dire effects on wild bird populations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/25/nyregion/flaco-owl-central-park-zoo-death-cause.html