Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

A pillar of the liberal ideology is the primacy of the individual. I've heard it said that suicide is the most selfish thing you can do. Does that make killing yourself a liberal act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
suicide is not necessarily liberalism but communism does regard it as a sin due to its origins in catholic theology

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
a liberal knows that its immoral to kill themselves unless theyve paid off all of their student loans and credit cards

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Son of Sorrow posted:

A pillar of the liberal ideology is the primacy of the individual. I've heard it said that suicide is the most selfish thing you can do. Does that make killing yourself a liberal act?

it is. every classical political theorist said you cant commit suicide. plato, hobbes & rousseau, etc. even mao

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-6/mswv6_05.htm posted:

My attitude toward suicide is to reject it. . . . First of all, man's goal is to seek life, and he should not go against the grain of his natural tendency and seek death. . . . Secondly, although suicide results from the fact that society deprives people of all hope. . . . We should struggle against society in order to regain the hope that we have lost. . . . We should die fighting. . . . Thirdly, if people show respect for those who have courageously put an end to their own lives, that does not at all mean that they respect suicide as such, but rather that they respect the courageous spirit of resistance to brute force, which inspires the person who commits suicide . . . .

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i believe there is euthanasia, however, in thomas more's Utopia, but i can't remember and i only have the book in paper form (impossible to search this type of book)

e: and also in platos republic, but i think that was for more mundane reasons

Smythe has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Feb 24, 2024

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
of course. once you max your credit score under liberalism you kill yourself to start over with new cosmetics. its just like prestige in call of duty.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Thank you, Smythe.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Son of Sorrow posted:

Thank you, Smythe.

yw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

thank you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

seems like this one is nicely wrapped up!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Smythe's answer is nerdlinger bullshit. Is it neoliberalism to kill yourself? That's what the people want to know

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
even john locke, the ur-lib, says you cant commit suicide. he says well youre gods property, and its highly illegal to waste gods bounty. therefor you must live.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Yeah but what does Alan Greenspan say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Smythe posted:

even john locke, the ur-lib, says you cant commit suicide. he says well youre gods property, and its highly illegal to waste gods bounty. therefor you must live.

sounds like gods a lib