Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

SNL returns tonight for its fifth block of shows of the season, leading into March

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvjcMPRqCdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVxEzwcdAJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZK-Va6SvMI

And a palette cleanser BtS with Kearney and Troast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnsDnsprBE

Tonight we are not doing the previous live show thing that started in the last block of shows, maybe hopefully that was a trial balloon thing that failed. Sadly this season's trend of ~1-year-old episodes in Vintage continues, with last season's Pedro Pascal and Coldplay show from February 4 2023.

<3 al!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

completely forgot about the mario kart sketch

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"I, uh... I was fired from the show, a while ago. Don't look that up. Yeah, don't Google that."

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is embarrassing. Is this guy supposed to be funny?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah he bombed pretty hard there

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Well he sure is trying.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
[to Louis C.K.] "Hold my beer...."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Lots of pre-tapes. Seems like they didn’t trust him live.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if they didn't trust him live, Kenan would've waltzed on out in the monologue

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Appropriate of nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXxinOtPiQ

I know Vintage is dead but this should have aired tonight

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Jo Koy, you are no longer the worst comedian host this year.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Someone remind me who this guy is again? I vaguely the SNL controversy but it's been awhile.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah, Chloe is definitely carrying this Fugliana sketch.

"She's not just a sex doll, she's my best friend!" "Dude, that's PATHETIC!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vakal posted:

Someone remind me who this guy is again? I vaguely the SNL controversy but it's been awhile.

He’s done standup specials and has an online sketch show. It’s kinda stunt casting but some of the sketch ideas have been ok.

Feels like he’s flubbing a bunch in this Alexa sketch though

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Okay the 12:55 was pretty good.

Vakal posted:

He was hired and then a podcast came out with him using racial slurs to make racist jokes so he got fired before he was even on an episode.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Okay the 12:55 was pretty good.

He was hired and then a podcast came out with him using racial slurs to make racist jokes so he got fired before he was even on an episode.

Ah, I remember that now. Thanks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
His Netflix special was quite good

pwn
May 27, 2004

Well that's done at least.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I liked the magic gaslighting shoes

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If I was having a host on who is probably best known to my audience for making jokes with racial slurs in them, I would probably not write for them a bunch of sketches dealing with race, on account of the slurs

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Close-up on Bowen: "Pumped to be here!"

Loved stone-faced Maddie Rice during the monologue (most of the band as well).

pwn
May 27, 2004

mcbexx posted:

:love: I couldn't make myself look at the screen longer than about 60 cumulative seconds and missed that. Love the band bucking their obligation to laugh at poo poo they've already heard in dress

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Can’t believe how brave the snl cast members were for being forced to work with known racist Shane Gillis

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That was awful. Nothing more to say, other than they dodged a huge bullet and whoever hired this poo poo in 2019 ought to be ashamed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought the monologue was fine and really just took the comments about the hostile/unresponsive crowd to be a planned part of the set.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It was no worse than any other episode of modern SNL. Bonus points for no game show format sketches and the Forrest Gump bully sketch was a very funny concept.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pwn posted:

:love: I couldn't make myself look at the screen longer than about 60 cumulative seconds and missed that. Love the band bucking their obligation to laugh at poo poo they've already heard in dress

The funniest shade from the band was cutting off his good night speech. I kinda felt bad for him there. Dude is gonna have nightmares about last night for decades.

:laffo: why did they even invite him?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

It was no worse than any other episode of modern SNL. Bonus points for no game show format sketches and the Forrest Gump bully sketch was a very funny concept.

I think the lesson here is that you go into any given SNL episode primed to dislike it you’re probably going to have the bad time you’re looking for.

pwn
May 27, 2004

General Dog posted:

I thought the monologue was fine and really just took the comments about the hostile/unresponsive crowd to be a planned part of the set.

He did the same comments in dress, reportedly the main source of laughter was the friends and family section of the audience

The funniest shade from the band was cutting off his good night speech. I kinda felt bad for him there. Dude is gonna have nightmares about last night for decades.

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1761625896727818554?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

pwn fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 25, 2024

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah the host should really just be Kate McKinnon every week imo.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

General Dog posted:

I think the lesson here is that you go into any given SNL episode primed to dislike it you’re probably going to have the bad time you’re looking for.

It's absolutely this. Don't even know who the guy is but this ep was no worse than the others with some fairly funny sketches sprinkled in there

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t care if you replace Gillis with a resurrected John Belushi, it’s still not going to save the “Fugly Sex Doll” sketch. That one felt straight out of Sandler/Spade/Farley-era SNL.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
i didn't like the episode too much but this "cut for time" is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3RhwSF8mo

pwn
May 27, 2004

mcbexx posted:

The chuds noticed too, cool

https://twitter.com/usingcigarettes/status/1761780390916771896?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Thankfully moonmatt's replies are largely roasting him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Cigs post out of character before, ha.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

After watching the absolute nobody that hosted last night, something occurred to me, and forgive me if this has been discussed before.

How the gently caress has Patton Oswalt never hosted?

Set aside your personal opinion of him and think just in terms of resume. He's one of the top stand-ups in the country, selling out the largest venues and getting drat near universal critical acclaim (he's way waaaay bigger than last night's guy and Nate Barghatze, who I love).

He had a role on a long-running popular sitcom. He's been in multiple movies and TV shows both as a comedic and serious actor and got acclaim for them. He's an Emmy winner. He's a ubiquitous presence on many comedy podcasts including ones that require improv and sketches or semi-sketch bits. He's written multiple books.

Although I'm certainly not an insider, I can't imagine he hasn't been invited because of a bad reputation, everything I've ever seen is that he's a super nice guy. So what is it? Does Lorne just not care for him for whatever reason or has he turned it down (which is hard to imagine)?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He hasn’t been as prominent in the 2020s as he was in the 2010s; and maybe SNL had a bigger Rolodex in the 2010s.

But yeah, he or Paul F. Tompkins would be great, but modern SNL doesn’t seem to have much crossover with the 2010s alt comedy/Mr. Show universe.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

He hasn’t been as prominent in the 2020s as he was in the 2010s; and maybe SNL had a bigger Rolodex in the 2010s.

But yeah, he or Paul F. Tompkins would be great, but modern SNL doesn’t seem to have much crossover with the 2010s alt comedy/Mr. Show universe.

While that might be true, he still has 33 credits in the 2020s, including two specials on Netflix and more relevantly, even if you literally toss his iMDb aside he's still a way way bigger stand-up than the two I mentioned. It's not close.

Jesus, I forgot he had a Grammy too, guy is halfway to an EGOT.

As for PFT, he's a god, but he's not well known to the general public, even less so than Gillis and Barghatze.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a new study bible! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o39CFGiEME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Well drat lol. Forgot about it seconds after watching. It really was just an average episode SNL.