Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
after watching this im glad i dont have to watch an ep of snl for another decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dunno why you had to watch this one of all of them.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the people watching this to fuel their parasocial culture war obsessions are more embarrassing than the ones pretending the cast and crew all secretly despise the guy who was invited to come there, but not by as much as you would think

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yeah i don't think the crew really is in revolt or whatever, it's just fun to imagine. Maddie also was pretty cool on Elon a few years back so there is some precedent for her anyway. Fact is that the band, being visible on stage, has a job as entertainers to be happy to see the host and laugh at the mono if they're not playing. Sure, Earl Gardner was probably really amused by Martin Lawrence, but he was also amused every week by every host. No sense reading too much into it. But it can be fun and, most importantly, is more better than talking about most of the show, because the show isn't very good so far in 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Entire cast gets a week off as PFT proceeds to play every character in every sketch by himself.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
PFT gets to host but all the sketches are just about how nice his suits are.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I watched most of it on youtube, but I found myself laughing a lot at the skits. Monologue sucked but thats par for the course. I feel like with this and also the Ayo episode a few weeks ago, SNL is really stepping it back up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sivart13 posted:

i didn't like the episode too much but this "cut for time" is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3RhwSF8mo

I guess I know why they cut it, but still, this was very funny

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

R. Guyovich posted:

the people watching this to fuel their parasocial culture war obsessions are more embarrassing than the ones pretending the cast and crew all secretly despise the guy who was invited to come there, but not by as much as you would think

It’s hard to blame people when you have a number of publications writing oddly editorialized coverage of a show they don’t usually even mention. NPR ran an article about how Gillis “struggled” that ran immediately on Sunday morning. If you search their site it’s clear that they don’t normally cover the show in that way.

It’s obviously their prerogative to determine what is worth writing about and if the story of a fired cast member turned host is headline material, but it shouldn’t be surprising when people notice the sudden and atypical coverage, especially in the face of so many terrible hosting jobs.

I don’t really find Gillis to be funny normally, so it’s easy for me to agree the monologue was bad, but I doubt Gillis ruined his career or will regret hosting or any of the other hyperbolic things written about it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah that's dumb, but like i said the other side somehow manages to be more annoying. in the runup to the episode you had people predicting a norm-style legendary annihilation in the monologue, and when shane instead did a middling standup set that barely addressed his getting fired they had to force themselves into pretending it was on that same level, mostly by projecting their neuroses on the band members

norm is one of the funniest people to have ever drawn breath, and shane is...fine. hard to reconcile that when your worldview depends on treating the people you've decided agree with you as demigods.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah that's dumb, but like i said the other side somehow manages to be more annoying.

For sure. Totally agree with everything. I was just noting the obviously charged stance that a bunch of more establishment media people were coming at it with. It’s going to encourage that kind of stuff.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

While that might be true, he still has 33 credits in the 2020s, including two specials on Netflix and more relevantly, even if you literally toss his iMDb aside he's still a way way bigger stand-up than the two I mentioned. It's not close.

Jesus, I forgot he had a Grammy too, guy is halfway to an EGOT.

As for PFT, he's a god, but he's not well known to the general public, even less so than Gillis and Barghatze.

Think you summed it up actually. SNL either gets washed up hosts or hosts directly working on NBC or HBO projects that get roped into hosting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has Weird Al ever been on SNL in any capacity?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Nope.

Again, seems like a no brainer, but hasn't happened.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They haven't had Daniel Rad life back on since he started doing interesting movies and missed the combo window with the Weird Al movie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

nbc wasn't gonna do double promo for a roku movie

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Knowing they did the same thing in dress, I’m guessing the band not laughing was part of the bit but :lol: if you didn’t think it was significant that they didn’t do something they almost always do. The writing for a lot of the skits was also even more half-assed than usual and leaned into the controversy rather than trying to be funny. I had honestly forgotten who he was and thought he was just another mildly funny TikTok comedian. He should have just done the George Washington set for the monologue.
:shrug:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Dude is gonna have nightmares about last night for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Yeah, it's been really weird seeing the dueling narratives around Gillis's hosting, it's pretty apparent that everyone went into this with their mind already made up and just figured out how to describe what happened to match their expectations. The idea that this was some kind of career-impacting bomb or somehow meaningfully worse than most other hosts who go on the show seems to be entirely wishful thinking. That said, I mostly like Gillis, so I'm not all that objective about it either. It's just weird to see mainstream critics who normally don't cover SNL choosing to roll out articles about how bad of a job he did when it seems to me like he just went on the show and did his usual thing. Not transcendent, but not a disaster either.

The Atlantic's article about it mirrors my thoughts for the most part: https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2024/02/shane-gillis-snl/677569/

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

he basically made two jokes about expecting bigger laughs during the monologue, and that was fodder for people to say he bombed I guess? like after the Jo Koy golden globe thing people are ready to pretend that any kind of commentary to the audience like that instantly means you've failed.

I had no real opinion on Shane, I was grossed out by the stuff that got him fired, and I'm still feeling like the show has been really sloppy the last several episodes just in terms of basic timing and stuff like that. But this episode and Shane were at least way better than Jacob Elordi

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yesterday Shane tweeted

And then, realising he was alienating his fan base, immediately deleted

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've never watched any Shane Gillis before this, so this was my first exposure to him, and I thought his monologue was pretty terrible. I don't think he "bombed" (people laughed, the band's reaction should never be scrutinized), but I didn't like it, personally. I think most comedians do a better job, usually. Just didn't find it funny. But I've read some Gillis fans say that this wasn't a good example of his comedy, and fair enough. Then again, I've also read some of his fans saying he "loving killed it!" so whatever.

That being said, the rest of the episode was just the standard, "Meh, pretty bad" recent episodes have been, but not a huge bomb. So I agree, people on both sides are overreacting.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

pwn posted:

Yesterday Shane tweeted

And then, realising he was alienating his fan base, immediately deleted

Shane often drunk tweets and deletes them right away, it's not an alienating his fanbase thing, it's a constant lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

"He has momentary lapses in being a piece of poo poo when he's smashed" isn't quite the slam dunk you seem to think it is

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I mean he didn't delete it to not alienate his fanbase

He seems like a really nice guy, don't know why all the hate is on him

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Like saying Gillis bombed and his career is over, saying he deleted that tweet because he's worried he'll lose chud fans seems entirely a fabrication of your imagination

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Got to be tough getting people to host towards the end of season 49. Like we want you to host SNL, but you're not good enough to host during the epic season 50 celebration. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their ideas are getting shelved as season 50 bangers even.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Got to be tough getting people to host towards the end of season 49. Like we want you to host SNL, but you're not good enough to host during the epic season 50 celebration. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their ideas are getting shelved as season 50 bangers even.
If the 49ers had won, Brock Purdy coulda been a lock

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You wish. It's gonna be a calvacade of every multi time host coming back in and constantly pulling in whichever celebs are in the building for long claps and whoops before doing a cursory joke.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

live from new york, it's lorne michaels getting sucked off by every a-lister, living or dead, for five solid hours

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
What is it about this guy that has people coming out of the woodwork to white knight what was, at the most generous, an extremely mediocre performance?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

What is it about this guy that has people coming out of the woodwork to white knight what was, at the most generous, an extremely mediocre performance?

I've avoided commenting on this episode specifically because of this kind of reaction. Thanks for proving that self-censorship was the right move. But now that I've confirmed that it was the right move, I'll go ahead and post something about the episode that isn't super-negative.

I knew nothing about Shane Gillis until I did what he said not to do--I googled him. And, what I learned was pretty bad, and it made me wonder why he was being allowed to host. My wife and I actually theorized that there must be some contractual thing created by his hiring and almost immediate firing, and they had to let him host to avoid getting sued. Early on, I commented, because that monologue was pretty rough. I didn't notice the band not laughing or anything, but it reminded me of how rough the Louis C. K. monologue was--the one where he even commented on how they managed to get through it. Gillis' monologue was on par with that one and the last one Dave Chappelle did.

But when the show started, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. There were a few cringe moments, and I guess I liked the sex doll commercial one more than most of the rest of you did (mainly because the dolls were trying to break the straightman in the skits), but it wasn't awful, and I had a few laugh-out-loud moments, which is on par with the rest of the season. I am not going to say it was a good episode, and the stink of this guy was hard to separate from the content of the show, but I've seen worse episodes in the past few years. It was a "meh" episode.

So yeah, he shouldn't have been allowed to host, but he didn't do the worst job I've ever seen. Hell, I watched this trainwreck happen on my TV live, and holy crap, was it bad. It's Elon Trump levels of unfunny from start to finish, and the only positive thing I can say about it is that they didn't have an actual Hitler-tier supervillain hosting.

Gillis' episode shouldn't have happened, but I've seen so much worse, and I'm not going to trash a whole episode just because the host is a piece of poo poo. I was surprised at how not-awful some of the sketches were, which is something I can't say for some of the other horrible hosts' shows.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Because the hyperbolic reaction, yours included, to his appearance doesn't seem to be at all based in reality? We live in kind of a weird moment where you can watch something, think "eh, dude probably did about as well as he could given the circumstances," then go online and see half of the outlets insisting he bombed and the other half insisting he killed, depending on the publication's general politics. I think people rightfully want to check their notes with each other.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 29, 2024

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Many people are so eager for a Shane Gillis failure that they posted really hyperbolic stuff trending towards the negative, so I don’t think it’s necessarily white knighting to point out that his career isn’t over and that he isn’t going to be haunted by his performance and that he wasn’t epically owned because the band members didn’t wildly gesticulate during the monologue.

Im not speaking for anyone other than myself, but I view the “standup” SNLs with a different lens than other episodes, and it makes sense that there’s more discord with them. Many standups (as far as I can tell) have no respect for a large portion of the cast. There’s a sense that much of the cast wouldn’t have the chops to make it independently in comedy and/or that they’re nepo babies who learned improv in lieu of having any natural talent for performance.

Then there’s the fact that Gillis is far from the most reprehensible person to appear on the show in recent memory. Gillis is an easy target for the culture war, and if you want to scrutinize him for ableism or racism in his material then fine, but hold that same fire for the next celebrity or political cameo or musical guest as well.

Earlier this year the show began with a cold open that mocked university presidents for holding a principled stance against against congressional zionists who are complicit in genocide.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I instantly skip cold openers if they're SNL political ones, which I think is like 99.9% of them these days. Nice to occasionally be reminded why you should just ignore the opening.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Culture war... culture war never changes

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I thought it was fine overall.
Monologue was a lil' wobbly, but I've seen much worse.

I actually think the The Floor sketch was the weakest. The stupid trump shoes skit was good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
While the sketch itself was middling, I appreciated “guy who drags his family to an unfamiliar church on vacation” as a very real character with very different energy than you’d typically get in an SNL sketch.

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TBH I enjoyed the last episode more than any other in 2024. I even thought his monologue was half decent.