Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
hi dril

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1763445742210105421?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Question from a non-american: I figured Gillis would now be "too big" for a SNL role given his success with the netflix specials and podcast shows? Is SNL still that big of a show that it'll improve his career, as opposed to getting his own skit-show on HBO or something? Does it pay really well?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dante posted:

Question from a non-american: I figured Gillis would now be "too big" for a SNL role given his success with the netflix specials and podcast shows? Is SNL still that big of a show that it'll improve his career, as opposed to getting his own skit-show on HBO or something? Does it pay really well?

It's pretty common for big-name comedians to host SNL - Nate Bargatze, Dave Chappelle, John Mulaney, Steve Martin, Amy Schumer, and Bill Burr, to name a few.

It's not so much an "improve my career" move as it is a "hey, this'll be fun" kind of thing.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

It's pretty common for big-name comedians to host SNL - Nate Bargatze, Dave Chappelle, John Mulaney, Steve Martin, Amy Schumer, and Bill Burr, to name a few.

It's not so much an "improve my career" move as it is a "hey, this'll be fun" kind of thing.

Ah right so hosting in this context is like a one-off?

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2DOSPZQiY

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dante posted:

Ah right so hosting in this context is like a one-off?

Every episode has a different guest host, usually someone promoting something else they're doing. While some celebs host more than once over their careers, it's relatively rare to the point they make a bit out of people who have returned X times compared to those than only showed up Y times. Every season has the same stable cast who perform in skits with the guest host.

SNL is essentially the last living version of American vaudeville act, in the USA at least. SNL isn't as popular as it once was or as strong a launch pad but it's still a solid place for funny people to get some work and make connections and learn what works or doesn't for them.

For guest host it's different and also a very mixed bag. A few weeks ago we had a host who didn't seem like they'd ever been before or liked to be on camera.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 2, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If there’s a tier list for fame/fortune for SNL hosts of the last decade, then Shane is on that bottom rung.

pwn
May 27, 2004

It's Saturday night, which means it's time to flush that turd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbBmnXsiwMo

Syndney Sweeney, best known for her role as Cassie on Euphoria, a show all us elder millennials have definitely seen, makes her SNL debut! But she is here tonight to promote her new film Madame Web. And country-pop star Kacey Musgraves returns for her third turn in 8H, promoting her new album Deep Well.

Let's check out the Wednesday promo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrz7iGQQsY0

Let's also check out the Wednesday read-through pics!

And that Thursday promo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwJxq_nNOSI

So this could be a good show! Let's hope! Please!!

Remember that time when Vintage was mysteriously supplanted by previous-week repeats, and it looked like they were gone for good? Then Vintage came back during off-weeks, and then last week, instead of a previous-week repeat of Ayo Edebiri, there was a Vintage, and it seemed like maybe previous-week repeats were gone? Well hold on to your hats because tonight, we have a previous-week rerun. The turd just won't flush :shepface:

Starting in 93 minutes, enjoy the show!

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 3, 2024

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The weirdest thing about this crop of writers is their inability to write a whole sketch. There was like a half a joke in that cold open, and then it just ended. Every sketch has been like that for the last few years.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

The weirdest thing about this crop of writers is their inability to write a whole sketch. There was like a half a joke in that cold open, and then it just ended. Every sketch has been like that for the last few years.

Yeah, it was such a weird, limp ending to that cold open.

Edit: The cold case sketch was pretty funny, though.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 3, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah the old sketch based on a film that came out the year the host was born.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ArtVandelay posted:

Not knowing how to end a sketch is a pretty eternal SNL problem.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

General Dog posted:

Not knowing how to end a sketch is a pretty eternal SNL problem.

Oh I know, but usually they at least get to what the joke should be before they end it early. These jokes are half formed or sometimes not there at all before they just kind of shrug their shoulders and end.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Looks like this episodes theme is cleavage.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Looks like this episodes theme is cleavage.

At least they limited it to only one sketch about how hot the host is this time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Stumbled on some cool medium format shots of Cheryl Hardwick and Leon Pendarvis, dated 1995 but given the Christmas decorations I'm guessing these were shot the week of the Foreman episode (December 17 1994). Photography by Bob Berg.

And since we're in season 20, have a shot. Hey Bob.

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1764234771452908017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I’m not sure if Sydney Sweeny’s career will recover after that dud from last night….

pwn
May 27, 2004

Let it go dude

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I’m sorry, I thought this was a thread for discussing SNL, as I have done many times before, long before Shane Gillis hosted.

You literally called the last episode a turd. I only called this one a dud.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Big Bench was the best sketch of the night by far, followed by both Kacey Musgraves’ performances.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The name Big Bench was amazing and a shame the sketch itself was never going to live up to it.

Too tired to watch the whole thing last night, but what I saw was pretty poor. The monologue didn’t even seem to make an attempt to be funny?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sweeney did okay, but the episode suffered from the same weak writing that's plagued the last couple of seasons.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The name Big Bench was amazing and a shame the sketch itself was never going to live up to it.

Yeah, that sketch totally didn't live up to its potential - if the premise of your sketch is that there are 17 judges, then you should have 17 judges in the sketch! Get the whole cast involved, like in the Rap Song sketch!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ArtVandelay posted:

My biggest peeve is them always calling out the joke and ruining it. Usually delivered by Mikey Day yelling "Why are you...?!"

Like there's just no confidence the joke is going to land.

Also this episode was dreadful.

"An Air Bud skit in 2024?"-my wife

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Please Don't Destroy pre-tape was unusually funny for them.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
The only time I laughed in the first half of the episode was "skidooshed off a fat guy's stomach like Kung Fu Panda"

This show goes through so much effort to not make any jokes

Longfellow playing Gavin Newsom in the opener and making no effort to talk or act like him.

Admirable Dog Acting in the air bud sketch but no comedy detected.

Crafting a set for 17 people in the Big Bench sketch but no jokes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was transfixed watching Air Bud eat a massive sandwich.

pwn
May 27, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

I’m sorry, I thought this was a thread for discussing SNL, as I have done many times before, long before Shane Gillis hosted.

You literally called the last episode a turd. I only called this one a dud.

I sincerely apologize, i misunderstood.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sivart13 posted:

Longfellow playing Gavin Newsom in the opener and making no effort to talk or act like him.

Yeah, that bugged me too - I wasn't expecting a perfect impression or anything, but I feel like he could've at least done something.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

EL BROMANCE posted:

Too tired to watch the whole thing last night, but what I saw was pretty poor. The monologue didn’t even seem to make an attempt to be funny?

I’d legitimately watch Big Bench if it was a real show.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah this was the other good part of the episode.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

The dog really did go for it, which is impressive considering they gotta rehearse and whatnot too.

SNL, keeping animal trainers and actors employed since 19XX

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The dog being well trained is why the sketch wasn't very good though. Can't have an SNL skit with a monologue to a well behaved dog. It doesn't work.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Man that was a boring episode

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Ego was in almost every sketch, good for her. Also the stingray bit in WU was pretty funny.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This has been the first SNL season that I've watched in it's entirety (so far) in probably a decade. I feel like the cast assembled is extremely talented and I seemed to really enjoy the first part of the new season, especially the Adam Driver and Nate Bargatze eps. Man has the show been a drag in 2024 though. It feels like so many skits don't have any sort of active punchlines. They all kind of just meander and then end. It's bizarre to me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

TheWevel posted:

Ego was in almost every sketch, good for her. Also the stingray bit in WU was pretty funny.

Agreed.

But overall this episode? .. phew... not great.

They went high high risk with 3 separate dog actors which makes me think they had NO confidence in their host

Edit:

The "Bowens Straight" sketch was actually pretty genius though, imo. Little shaky in execution here and there, but hilarious premise.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 4, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This has been the first SNL season that I've watched in it's entirety (so far) in probably a decade. I feel like the cast assembled is extremely talented and I seemed to really enjoy the first part of the new season, especially the Adam Driver and Nate Bargatze eps. Man has the show been a drag in 2024 though. It feels like so many skits don't have any sort of active punchlines. They all kind of just meander and then end. It's bizarre to me.

It strange, because there were times in the 2022-23 season when the writing seemed the strongest it had been during the Jost era. Wonder if there was a lot of writing turnover between seasons?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah last season I was like actively recommending episodes to a couple who likes a good SNL but this one is whiffing more than expected.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I don't know what would compel them to post this, a very lackluster behind the scenes for a very lackluster sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtyIRqa3Nc

a significant portion is video footage of a table read where everyone is staring at iPads and Lorne says one thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Musgraves continues to be a pro musical guest!
:peanut:

Did anyone catch her vibing with Bowen at the end? That guy does pull!