Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

It’s no secret that it brings this gamer great pleasure to drive a truck or two whilst listening to the hum of the engine, as the Spotify app serves as a sort of radio in the Bose over ears whilst playing “Snowrunner” the sequel to “Mudrunner.”

Well dropping soon is the spiritual sequel to both these games. “Expeditions, a Mudrunner Game.” And folks are in a huff. Seems they’ll be less hauling and more scouting.

It costs a whopping $70 piece and some folks are saying it should have simply dropped as snowrunner DLC. Well, optimist here! To me it’s an absolute day one cop.

The winch is a pleasure and can now be elongated or shorterened to get your truck out of any jam.

So what have we here? Optomists or haters? Any fellow day 1 coppers?

I will be streaming as soon as it drops on March 1
https://twitch.tv/epic_core_count

Maudib Arakkis fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Seen some screenshots on targets website interesting enough. Baffled that this game has virtually zero hype.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game seems to be $40 on steam, is $70 a next gen console price? Bc if so that sucks! I'm going to be waiting for reviews/impressions first. Love Snowrunner and specifically the scouting out maps part of Snowrunner, but I still think I want to see more actual gameplay first.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

explosivo posted:

Game seems to be $40 on steam, is $70 a next gen console price? Bc if so that sucks! I'm going to be waiting for reviews/impressions first. Love Snowrunner and specifically the scouting out maps part of Snowrunner, but I still think I want to see more actual gameplay first.

$70 is the “year one edition” with early access which to me was pretty much mandatory. To me snowrunner is one of the best video games

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

So far only a 13 gig downloadp

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Given how much Snowrunner I've played over the years, I'll be hopping onto this one for sure. I'm intruiged by the different emphasis this game will have.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I'm waiting for some impressions on this but you can put me in the "Snowrunner is one of my favourite games of all time" camp so I fully expect I'll be diving in after watching 5 minutes of streams on thursday.

I wish there was some content available for the game already but I guess they're waiting for that "early access" hype.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LeFishy posted:

I'm waiting for some impressions on this but you can put me in the "Snowrunner is one of my favourite games of all time" camp so I fully expect I'll be diving in after watching 5 minutes of streams on thursday.

I wish there was some content available for the game already but I guess they're waiting for that "early access" hype.

Thursday? I thought preorders drop Friday March 1.

And the hype for this game is some of the least I’ve ever seen. It’s sad. I think it was bad or zero marketing and they were hoping snow-heads would be eager to cop. Unfortunately a lot of snow-heads seem overly skeptical and critical because of the perceived lack of hauling, crying that the whole game should have been free or cheap DLC, and a whole mess of other complaints. The subreddit has less than 200 subscribers, which is insanely low.

Maudib Arakkis fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 27, 2024

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
March 1 is for EA, yeah? I don't like the way this trend discourages physical. I'll wait a few days.

I'm a little skeptical of a game based on scouting, but I enjoyed Snowrunner so much I'm still going to get it without worrying too much about that.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The "spend more money" infographic on steam says 1800 CET 29/2 for EA.

I'm almost definitely going to buy it and almost definitely in the EA period but I want to at least pretend I'm waiting for impressions because the total and utter lack of open media coverage is weird as heck.

I think Saber are owned by Embracer though so we need to buy as many copies of this as possible before they get shafted.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I already preordered on PS5 the edition with early access. Snowrunner is an all time fav so it was a no-brainer for me. I liked the rock crawling challenges in Mudrunner so I think I'll like Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game just fine. I like the idea of dropping anchor points for winching shenanigans. The scenery in Snowrunner was one of the things that kept me playing; the environment designers really know how to make a beautiful sandbox to play around in.

I can't say I understand the gripes about this being a standalone instead of DLC or something for Snowrunner. There are enough new bits like consumables and levelling up research bases and your crew that I think warrant it being its own thing. Besides, Snowrunner has three years of DLC with a fourth on the way, it's not like they're discontinuing support for Snowrunner. Gotta have something to complain about, I guess.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Is anyone getting it for Switch? If so please let me know how it runs. I play snowrunner on PS4 but wouldn't mind having this one on another device.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Is anyone getting it for Switch? If so please let me know how it runs. I play snowrunner on PS4 but wouldn't mind having this one on another device.

The Snowrunner switch port is still the one I hold as the benchmark so I would be optimistic!

I upgraded to steam deck last year so I won’t actually be able to give you a real opinion but I reckon that the switch up lads on youtube will grab this one for review pretty quickly.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Being able to extend the winch for rappelling is such a game changer, no more pointing your tires where you hope you’ll land

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

padijun posted:

Being able to extend the winch for rappelling is such a game changer, no more pointing your tires where you hope you’ll land

Yup. Looks like sometimes you can self install winch hookup things to hook on to as well

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

apophenium posted:

I already preordered on PS5 the edition with early access. Snowrunner is an all time fav so it was a no-brainer for me. I liked the rock crawling challenges in Mudrunner so I think I'll like Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game just fine. I like the idea of dropping anchor points for winching shenanigans. The scenery in Snowrunner was one of the things that kept me playing; the environment designers really know how to make a beautiful sandbox to play around in.

I can't say I understand the gripes about this being a standalone instead of DLC or something for Snowrunner. There are enough new bits like consumables and levelling up research bases and your crew that I think warrant it being its own thing. Besides, Snowrunner has three years of DLC with a fourth on the way, it's not like they're discontinuing support for Snowrunner. Gotta have something to complain about, I guess.

Yup, gamers gripes. They should be thankful it’s only $40 for the base version and not $70 like the AAA game it ought to be considered. Already got it downloaded. 13 gigs out the door.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

I'll wait to make sure nothing is terribly broken and maybe until my workload decreases, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this and the year 1 pass. Love Snowrunner and I'm very interested to see how this plays in comparison. Looks like it's going to be different enough that it absolutely made sense to split it out into its own game. And they're still getting Snowrunner content out the door for me, so I'm going to be happy either way.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Had no idea this was coming out already. I hope it's good, Snowrunner is a top 5 all time for me.

And yeah I know it's going for something a bit different but still.

Will be the first thing I play after losing 100+ hours to Rebirth.

Ceramics fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 28, 2024

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I budgeted wrong and had more leftover than expect after all my payday responsibilities so I guess I’m going to get this sight unseen.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
just found out they added something people have been asking for for years: adjustable tire pressure

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

padijun posted:

just found out they added something people have been asking for for years: adjustable tire pressure

Yup. Also looks like you can have a jack to attempt to flip your vehicle back up without going all the way back to the garage.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
In the little tutorial world at least it seems to run at a stable 40 on my steam deck.

I haven’t fiddled with the graphics settings much yet but i’m considering sacrificing some fidelity to get 60.

I’ve only done the very first tutorial but it feels pretty good. The tiny truck you start with is a nice refreshing thing after spending the day driving the twinsteer back and forth.

They’ve changed the controls! All the gears and whatnot are on RB now and LB lets you quickly use fuel cans or repair kits to fix stuff.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Wait, what?

<checks, you know, internet poo poo...>

Not sure how I got so mixed up on dates, but clearly I need to stop playing Picross S+ and fire up the XBox...

Edit: God drat it. One of *those* games. Despite it being 7:30pm on Feb 29th (for me), it isn't unlocked yet. BOOOooooooo! :argh: Back to Picross S+ I guess.

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 29, 2024

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
The fine print says EA unlocks at 6PM CET but Steam still says coming soon for me. Is it region based?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

koshmar posted:

The fine print says EA unlocks at 6PM CET but Steam still says coming soon for me. Is it region based?

Given that, for me anyway, it is hours past 6PM CET, *something* is going on.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

magimix posted:

Wait, what?

<checks, you know, internet poo poo...>

Not sure how I got so mixed up on dates, but clearly I need to stop playing Picross S+ and fire up the XBox...

Edit: God drat it. One of *those* games. Despite it being 7:30pm on Feb 29th (for me), it isn't unlocked yet. BOOOooooooo! :argh: Back to Picross S+ I guess.

I think consoles are tomorrow (1/3) morning. UK time.

I think I like this a lot. There are some bits and bobs that are confusing or annoying me. Currently I haven’t found the headlights button.

I’m also not sure if there is anywhere to see map completion which is upsetting as i’m trying to clear out the baby map before moving on to bigger and better things.

The general driving around is great and the focus on picking paths and resource management is really fun.

I don’t think it is possible to 100% the first map without progressing now I ponder on it. One item in the map says it can be processed in “the workshop” and the only mention of that i’ve seen is a truck module that has to be unlocked by a later mission.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 29, 2024

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Update, it's just about 6PM EST and the game now shows unlocked for me in Steam.

Edit: Seconding Steam Deck, it worked without issue out of the box. Some text is a bit small but that comes with the territory. Being able to sit on the couch and trundle around is going to be awesome.

koshmar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 1, 2024

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
if you don't have a spare sideboard slot for a mission objective, how do you fix that? I went back to the garage and it won't let me back in. I can remove the jack screws and anchors I bought, but my bed inventory is locked.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any early impressions? Curious to hear what the structure of this game is. I saw people saying there's like a pre-planning thing?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

explosivo posted:

Any early impressions? Curious to hear what the structure of this game is. I saw people saying there's like a pre-planning thing?

I'm locked out of progress because I need to pick something up but can't figure out how to get back into the garage to free up inventory space

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

koshmar posted:

Update, it's just about 6PM EST and the game now shows unlocked for me in Steam.

Edit: Seconding Steam Deck, it worked without issue out of the box. Some text is a bit small but that comes with the territory. Being able to sit on the couch and trundle around is going to be awesome.

Hello!!!!!! Hoping to cop a look at this when I get home

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Xbox says it’s updating as we speak. Should have turned it on earlier. Edge of my seat here folks

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Looks like the dadgum thing won’t let me play. Will be copping an early rise tomorow

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I have found the headlight button (it is r-stick click on controller).

I still haven't found a map completion percentage anywhere to let me get over Little Colorado and move on to the next maps. I've done all the tasks and contracts I have been able to find though so maybe I should spread my wings.

I'm absolutely hooked on the game though. It's tickling a slightly different part of my brain from Snowrunner but it's absolutely making me happy.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm on a half-day today, so very much looking forward to diving in.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Woke up at the crack of dawn to dive in only to find the dog had made diarrhea over everything that I had to clean before work. Now there’s scarcely any time to play

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Woke up at the crack of dawn to dive in only to find the dog had made diarrhea over everything that I had to clean before work. Now there’s scarcely any time to play

:captainpop:

I can't compete with that but...

In terms of the game as a game, it has made a good first impression for me. However, I'm getting some gnarly hitching on Series X. Every second (and I *mean* every second) the game will hitch up. It is very regular, and incredibly annoying.

Edit: Setting my Series X to go offline in the network settings made the hitching go away.

magimix fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 1, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Already flipped in the little tutorial section cause I drove down along a river to pick up an airdrop. Luckily the airdrop had one of the jack things to flip me back over 🫨

On PS5 there's a texture streaming issue I think where most of the terrain looks blurry and bad. No other issues so far

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Didn’t get to play due to dog diarrhea. FAIL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

apophenium posted:

Already flipped in the little tutorial section cause I drove down along a river to pick up an airdrop. Luckily the airdrop had one of the jack things to flip me back over 🫨

On PS5 there's a texture streaming issue I think where most of the terrain looks blurry and bad. No other issues so far

I flipped in that area too thinking it was where I need to go for the first expedition and had to drive my scout out to winch myself over, then I discovered what the jack did.