Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Really satisfying to use the anchor and winch to drag my dumb little DON 71 up and down a cliff I definitely shouldn't be able to traverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5vw8S-emA

Great breakdown on changes, exactly the way I hoped this game was going to go. tl;dw - scouts/small trucks (warthog et al) buffed, big trucks nerfed aka balanced

Also , cargo can't fall out when you flip over which is great. And repair points are used for map objectives!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah I'm enjoying it a lot so far, the emphasis on scouts and lighter trucks is welcome since those typically don't get much use in SnowRunner. I do kind of wish the expeditions were more like completing contracts in SnowRunner where you can move from one thing to the next, but I guess it makes sense so you can setup your inventory and whatnot to better tackle the objective.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I caved and bought it. Wasn’t playing much else.

padijun posted:

I'm locked out of progress because I need to pick something up but can't figure out how to get back into the garage to free up inventory space

Same exact thing happened to me. Luckily it’s like 5 min into the game and I just restarted.

PSA: don’t fill the sideboard in the first expedition. You can’t take things out (unless there is an obscure way to do this) and the mission objective needs to be put in. You can’t pick it up unless you have space.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
How do the physics and handling feel? When the preview came out a few months ago I remember people saying it felt better. I would hope that's true, especially since small vehicles and 4x4's generally feel the jankiest to drive in Snowrunner.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hm. I like the small vehicle focus but was hoping for more new vehicles I guess. I think one of the reasons why I stuck with Snowrunner for so long was the way you built out a map over time and made it easier to traverse as you progressed (usually) or worked towards a goal of some sort, not sure if I'll dig the expedition format quite as much.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So my positivity is waning due to UI things.

Example: I have a new expedition in... Wahaheheh Bay. The expedition starts in Grand Canyon, fine sure, the Niconico one also started here and the gateway was marked for me... Where is the wahahaha bay gateway? I guess I need to hop back in my truck and explore to find it? I didn't have to do that with the first one. Did I just get close enough looking for Brad?

Especially confusing is that the brad mission unlocked the wahakeka gateway but ended close to the conico gateway.

The momey to moment driving is great and I love it but this is even vaguer than mudrunner somehow!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ultrachrist posted:

I caved and bought it. Wasn’t playing much else.

Same exact thing happened to me. Luckily it’s like 5 min into the game and I just restarted.

PSA: don’t fill the sideboard in the first expedition. You can’t take things out (unless there is an obscure way to do this) and the mission objective needs to be put in. You can’t pick it up unless you have space.

Yeah I'm just going to delete my save and restart. Caveat emptor lol

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
You might also be able to pause>quit to headquarters. I noticed that when I couldn’t figure out how to quit after choosing to continue when completing an expedition.

I need to work now but I had a pretty frustrating first session spent figuring basic things out. UI is a mess. Texture pop in is very bad on ps5.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ultrachrist posted:

You might also be able to pause>quit to headquarters. I noticed that when I couldn’t figure out how to quit after choosing to continue when completing an expedition.

I need to work now but I had a pretty frustrating first session spent figuring basic things out. UI is a mess. Texture pop in is very bad on ps5.

I checked the pause menu and didn't notice that, but I'll check again before I restart.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The lodestar scout is a trap. It permanently has rocks stuck under the chassis. I reckon it’ll be ok with raised suspension though.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Game is growing on me as I bite into Arizona. The way you interact with terrain is very cool. Vehicles definitely seem to handle smoother than Snowrunner too.

I don’t know about this mission structure though. Like it feels weird to do a task or hunt for an upgrade since I’m on a mission? Saving that for free roam I think. Tho it hasn’t unlocked in AZ yet. Seems strictly inferior to Snowrunner open world style, idk, maybe I’ll change my mind if later missions are complex enough to make me think about my choices. The game doesn’t feel so much like it’s a “scouting game” as a small objective game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ultrachrist posted:

Game is growing on me as I bite into Arizona. The way you interact with terrain is very cool. Vehicles definitely seem to handle smoother than Snowrunner too.

I don’t know about this mission structure though. Like it feels weird to do a task or hunt for an upgrade since I’m on a mission? Saving that for free roam I think. Tho it hasn’t unlocked in AZ yet. Seems strictly inferior to Snowrunner open world style, idk, maybe I’ll change my mind if later missions are complex enough to make me think about my choices. The game doesn’t feel so much like it’s a “scouting game” as a small objective game.

Yeah the mission structure and the way that inventory works I'm not totally sold on. Always a bit confused if I'm spending money or not. The metal detector seems to point to a building on your base, and I already forgot which color is which. Plus it takes forever to use so I just don't.

I like the new maps though, and I like that that's more stone in general. The feel of rock crawling is quite nice

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

Yeah that's how it's done. And only then will you get the credit for finishing the mission and sell your inventory, going back to base or recovering to base does nothing and it seems like you can't actually drive into the garage to finish a mission. Very unintuitive

They also automatically start you on some random base when you're doing a mission, NOT the case you actually need to start at. Which seems pretty dumb

Play fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 2, 2024

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Spent all day on the run since cleaning dog diarrhea at 5 am and dopamine is plum depleted. I was excited about this game but thinking I shouldn’t fire it up until I can get some more dopamine

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Play posted:

Yeah that's how it's done. And only then will you get the credit for finishing the mission and sell your inventory, going back to base or recovering to base does nothing and it seems like you can't actually drive into the garage to finish a mission. Very unintuitive

They also automatically start you on some random base when you're doing a mission, NOT the case you actually need to start at. Which seems pretty dumb

The garage situation is just bizarre. I was doing an expedition where I built a bridge, scanned tracks, and had to explore an area. I flipped my truck at 95% exploration. I recovered to the garage… the wrong garage…even though that’s what my cursor was on by default, then went to click the right garage and it was a 3-4K recovery fee! I just left and restarted. When I came back, the bridge was built but I had to hit the objectives again, except when I got to exploration it was still at 95.

Re: metal detector. I immediately forgot the colors. But if you hit the detect button after (X on ps5), it shows you icons. Handy for finding upgrades. I got the off-road gearbox for the acteon.

Some other notes;
- free roam unlocks by sub zone. I got it for the first area in AZ after 5 expeditions.
- in addition to expeditions and tasks, there’s contracts, but I don’t know how those differ yet.
- unlike Snowrunner, you don’t level up. Truck unlocks come from specific quests. I’m not sure if they’re always tasks but I went to the truck store and matched unlock conditions to my task list and found a couple matches.

(Of course I tried one on free roam and deployed my trucks to the garage near the task, but the actual objective was next to a different garage. Recovered to that garage and rolled while chasing an upgrade on the side of a cliff. Saw another recovery fee, which may be meaningless for all I know, and called it quits for the night.)

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Money is somewhat meaningless because you can just free roam and fill your pockets with bones to sell. The air drops refill each time you start an expedition. I also figure the expeditions themselves are repeatable due to the optional objectives but haven’t actually tried it myself.

I love the Actaeon and just default to using it unless I need a specific attachment. It seems to bridge the scout/truck divide really well and can carry a lot of fuel.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Did the tutorial last night. Trucks and graphics feeling good.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

LeFishy posted:

So my positivity is waning due to UI things.

Example: I have a new expedition in... Wahaheheh Bay. The expedition starts in Grand Canyon, fine sure, the Niconico one also started here and the gateway was marked for me... Where is the wahahaha bay gateway? I guess I need to hop back in my truck and explore to find it? I didn't have to do that with the first one. Did I just get close enough looking for Brad?

Especially confusing is that the brad mission unlocked the wahakeka gateway but ended close to the conico gateway.

The momey to moment driving is great and I love it but this is even vaguer than mudrunner somehow!

What was the answer to this? Same thing happened. I guess I need to free roam to find the gate?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

What was the answer to this? Same thing happened. I guess I need to free roam to find the gate?

Yeah i still haven’t found the gate but i’m happily free roaming around the grand canyon map. It’s way bigger than the first few expeditions give away.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

koshmar posted:

I flipped in that area too thinking it was where I need to go for the first expedition and had to drive my scout out to winch myself over, then I discovered what the jack did.
Can you already use two trucks at the very beginning? How do you get in the other truck if you’ve already flipped one? I was barely able to find the “recover to base” thing. Snowrunner remains very confusing

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is the main difference between this and Snowrunner? I still have plenty of that to go through.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Unlucky7 posted:

What is the main difference between this and Snowrunner? I still have plenty of that to go through.

it's more technical terrain and rock crawling, and almost no hauling. of the few vehicles I've gotten so far, all are relatively small compared to SR. there's also apparently base building but I haven't gotten to that part yet. If you find yourself driving around the small trails in a scout just for fun you might like it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm for sure looking forward to grabbing this and prob the year one pass but I gotta play more Pacific Drive and Helldivers first! Too many good games!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Another tip: You can fill up exploration objectives with the drone. But for whatever reason, the % sometimes doesn't calculate as you're flying it and you need to exit to see it increase. I hope there are drone upgrades out there... it is very slow.

LeFishy posted:

Yeah i still haven’t found the gate but i’m happily free roaming around the grand canyon map. It’s way bigger than the first few expeditions give away.

lol, confusing rear end game. I said gently caress it and went to the Carpathians. It's less unique than the grand canyon but I like it and it's a bit more approachable. It's also more like what I expected the game to be... this one expedition took me through a crater and up a mountain for the hell of it. Feels like I'm on an offroad vacation.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Unlucky7 posted:

I've watched a fair amount of live play but not played it myself but the big differences seems to be

No asphalt roads at all
Very little wading through mud at 2mph
A lot more technical driving, instead of back and forth on main routes with cargo
Cargo doesn't spill if you flip,no cranes

So to me it looks like catnip, since scouting is the most fun I have in snowrunner and maps like Yukon and Scandinavia are my least favorite

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Can you already use two trucks at the very beginning? How do you get in the other truck if you’ve already flipped one? I was barely able to find the “recover to base” thing. Snowrunner remains very confusing

You have to add the addition vehicle during the planning phase and then you can hover over it on the map and swap to it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If you line up all the trucks in the US, they would reach the moon

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Streaming if yall can help me with the first mission in chat or somesuch

https://twitch.tv/epic_core_count

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

i get to the mountain and it just says "enter delivery mode" with no explanation how to do so and the game is frozen? Can't even tell if this is a bug or im suppose to somehow find delivery mode

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Maudib Arakkis posted:

i get to the mountain and it just says "enter delivery mode" with no explanation how to do so and the game is frozen? Can't even tell if this is a bug or im suppose to somehow find delivery mode

“delivery mode” just means press X (on xbox controller) to open the inventory swapping window.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LeFishy posted:

“delivery mode” just means press X (on xbox controller) to open the inventory swapping window.

interesting. I finally beat the first mission. An unintuative mess but that's snowrunner for you. Had some fun climbing the heights and seeing the sights to be sure

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I finished the first set of missions in the Carpathians. Similar to Arizona, I did not find the gate to the next unlocked area. I found a different, locked gate. So the game absolutely expects you to free roam after doing expeditions. It just never tells you this. So it goes from on-rails objective chasing to just drive wherever without warning.

Game good though. I’m really enjoying driving around forests and swamps taking up environmental tasks. The grass hides the PS5 texture bug. I found the Khan Marshall, one of my favorite scouts from Snowrunner, and immediately replaced the Don. It’s still good. Now I’m going to start doing contracts in the hope one brings me near the specific gate I need to progress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought this because I am weak of mind and spirit. Also I loved Snowrunner but hated repeated hauling missions all over the maps at a certain point. Only a couple expeditions in but seems neat so far. I was hoping there'd be some graphical changes from Snowrunner, DLSS would be nice. Game runs almost exactly like Snowrunner for me which is to say not amazingly on a 5800X3D/3080ti. Still got the same occasional hitches too that I ran into a lot in Snowrunner.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ultrachrist posted:

Similar to Arizona, I did not find the gate to the next unlocked area.

In Arizona it is south-east of the map, right past the area where you found the camper of the scientist who got really high and got lost. I think it shows you where the exits are when you are choosing the mission, but it doesn't tell you which exit on the map it is. The mission screen definitely needs the ability to mouse over various POIs so you can see what they are.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Nalin posted:

In Arizona it is south-east of the map, right past the area where you found the camper of the scientist who got really high and got lost. I think it shows you where the exits are when you are choosing the mission, but it doesn't tell you which exit on the map it is. The mission screen definitely needs the ability to mouse over various POIs so you can see what they are.

Cool, thanks. I'll take a look, I didn't see that view.

Free roaming was a blessing in disguise though. Game plays a lot more like Snowrunner: delivering, building bridges, rescuing trucks. With the twist of no roads and not being able to just plop down a fuel trailer where convenient.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is a lot of fun. I was really not sure how I'd feel about the change to the expeditions format, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that as much as I loved Snowrunner I just always flamed out when it came to having to haul a bunch of stuff across the map so this seems to be exactly what I wanted. I think this game will be divisive for fans of the series because some people thought that SR was "dumbed down" or easier than Mudrunner, therefore bad, and I imagine the lack of tedious hauling jobs will make them think this is going further away from the game they want (even though SR and MR still exist and can be played). There's definitely more sorta cheesy things in this like the jack which just lets you choose the new position for your truck when you get flipped or the anchors that allow you to literally scale a sheer rock wall, but those things cost money to bring on a mission and I think you'll be going broke pretty quickly if you bring those for every job (or you could just decide to not bring them even though the anchors are sick). I say this because I didn't realize this and am now almost broke lol. Thankfully I have the 'bad with money edition' trucks given to me from the start.

It's really cool having to bring in vehicles that you equip for the expedition, it means loading up on spare parts/fuel feels more important and they certainly give you tons of spots on the vehicles to put fuel canisters/parts between roof racks, door racks, front bumper racks, etc. Makes it feel like a proper expedition rolling in with a pack of trucks with gas tanks strapped all over em with equipment in the back. I like a lot of the changes to the garage UI too.

Yeah this is cool, definitely some technical jank but it doesn't feel like anything that wasn't also janky in Snowrunner. I will be curious to see what the DLC looks like, I don't really know how big all of the base maps are but there aren't a ton of trucks in the game so I just want to see more.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I haven't played much yet. It's funny how the small changes in controls between this and Snowrunner has me constantly doing the wrong things. It'll take awhile to reprogram my brain. I do sort of like the change in mindset that this is more intentional driving/crawling and it alleviates the biggest issue I had with Snowrunner in that it go very old lugging stuff over the same trails over and over and over again. I think my biggest hang-up on getting into this so far is that the vehicles are the same as SR, just with more tech add-ons. I don't know why, but it just does not feel good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Nalin posted:

I found the map you mean. If you have the cursor on free roam, the map to the right shows all outposts and gates (though it's zoomed out, you get the idea.) In the Carpathians, the gate is all the way south, at the bottom of a mountain spine. It's in a no fly zone and at first I drove close by it. Then I saw a bridge that didn't make sense and backtracked and found it. It's unlikely to be something you just stumble upon.

Of course as soon as I entered the next zone, I didn't know where to look for the outposts. I did find UOD III tires for the Actaeon at least. The same free roam map I mentioned also shows outposts. But as far as I can tell, you can't access it in-game. So it seems like taking a picture of the new map with my phone before going back is the right call. Unsure if maprunner is being updated.