Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I think my biggest hang-up on getting into this so far is that the vehicles are the same as SR, just with more tech add-ons. I don't know why, but it just does not feel good to me.

Yeah, there's like 3 new trucks i think then the rest are from SR, and even then there's not a ton of variety. The special DON 71 from the Pioneer pack is unbelievably OP, feels like the car is magnetized to the ground. I wonder if they're going to nickle-and-dime us for new trucks or nickle-and-dime us for old trucks brought into Expeditions. I would love to have those Jeeps from SR in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

explosivo posted:

Yeah, there's like 3 new trucks i think then the rest are from SR, and even then there's not a ton of variety. The special DON 71 from the Pioneer pack is unbelievably OP, feels like the car is magnetized to the ground. I wonder if they're going to nickle-and-dime us for new trucks or nickle-and-dime us for old trucks brought into Expeditions. I would love to have those Jeeps from SR in here.

I feel like this game would've really done well to launch with the starter/flagship vehicle being an older Landcruiser or some other kind of well known/legendary licensed overland vehicle.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I feel like this game would've really done well to launch with the starter/flagship vehicle being an older Landcruiser or some other kind of well known/legendary licensed overland vehicle.

Yeah agreed. The COTCO CANYON feels a lot like an old Landcruiser and also feels less cheaty than the DON so I've been using that one. But a more well known truck or two certainly wouldn't have hurt here. I feel like most of those came as a result of DLC for SR though so I have to assume that's where we'll be getting the Jeeps and whatnot. :sigh:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Enjoying the game so far but the UI has a lot of bugs and general problems. I've had to quit and reload the game 2-3 times because a UI element that was supposed to be there, wasn't, like the other poster that got stuck on the "Enter delivery mode" section, I did as well. Pressing x (and most other buttons) didn't work, I had to quit to main menu and reload, but at least it worked itself out after reloading. Also ran into several issues in the tutorial where I did things a little differntly or in a different order and had to go back and do them in the exact order the tutorial wanted in order to proceed.

Also lots of cases where you get a prompt like "Explore the area with the UAV" but what it actually wants you to do is drive into the highlighted square first, then pull out your drone and explore.

The meat of the game is very fun though and most of the poo poo I loved in Snowrunner is here, though the expedition system is a big step back from the previous open world IMO. Also going to miss making an unstable pile of poo poo on the back of my truck and trying to haul that somewhere without dropping it or tipping over. Oh well.

e: Also seems like less content than Snowrunner had at release.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 4, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you get the “press x to continue” bug and it does nothing on your controller, press enter on the keyboard. That worked for me. But yeah it’s glitchy and needs some patching soon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The mission markers are def weird as hell, specifically the ones that make you backtrack to drive into a square after you already did the thing it wanted you to. There was one in the starter map to climb a hill that I had just climbed, so I had to reverse back down the hill to drive into the square so it says "okay now drive up the hill but it's a tough one!!" then drive back up the hill to touch the square at the top of the hill. Maybe those are just particularly hand-holdey in the tutorial area. The "Explore the area" objectives are pretty lame too, just driving around aimlessly until the percentage goes up sorta stinks. You also have the 'look at area with binoculars' objective that for some reason works via golf swing minigame.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nalin posted:

In Arizona it is south-east of the map, right past the area where you found the camper of the scientist who got really high and got lost. I think it shows you where the exits are when you are choosing the mission, but it doesn't tell you which exit on the map it is. The mission screen definitely needs the ability to mouse over various POIs so you can see what they are.

The map is an absolute loving mess, I think the worst designed and buggy thing in the game. It's a bit bizarre.

Some examples: it doesn't always place you on the nearest camp when you're starting a mission. When you open the map it warps to POIs quite often, they might be for the mission you're attempting or they might not it seems but even if they are, it often pulls the map to wherever you received the mission rather than the target or, you know, just staying on your vehicle so you can find where it is? So every time I open the map I have to drag it back to where I need it after it pulls to another spot automatically. This also often happens when you press a on a POI for some reason. On missions where you need to go to a new area it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't show you where the entrance is. On some missions it marks finished objectives with a check mark but often it does not.

I'm truly amazed they made the map infinitely worse and less intuitive than snow runner.

Anyways, hope they fix that. Still enjoying the game but some of these things are very frustrating.

I have some questions: has anyone else seen three phantom upgrades in the carpathian mountains? It's on a ridge with a valley down below, the one you have to explore in an early mission. There are three upgrades that can be seen with the metal detector, but I don't think they actually exist. Been all up and down that area and the detector either points in random directions or points somewhere I've already been through multiple times from multiple angles.

Secondly, there's a mission in Arizona, unsuccessful geo something, to rescue the tank looking scout but I can't for the life of me figure out how. I could barely get there with a scout, I might be able to get there with the Acteon but there's no way I could tow that thing back the same way I came. Worst of all, it says to take the abandoned vehicle to 'a flat place' so it can be evacuated but the only quest marker is not even at the closest camp, it's so far away and I can't figure out any reasonable path to get there. Has anyone managed that mission? There is a yellow square near the vehicle, do I just need to get it in there then report back alone to the original spot where you can get the mission?

Play fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 4, 2024

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve noticed the metal detector pop 3 upgrades often, when there is only one. It’s definitely buggy. Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s actually None sometimes.

For your second question: I don’t know that mission specifically but I think some of the rescue missions are intended to be hard. For example, the drowned truck in the first Carpathian map. I could barely budge that thing with the Acteon and the only routes I’ve found to the objective marker are ROUGH with anything other than a scout. I figured I need better or more powerful trucks. And a whole lot of patience.

I also couldn’t figure how to gas up a rescue truck so I could start the engine. Anyone know how?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Play posted:

The map is an absolute loving mess, I think the worst designed and buggy thing in the game. It's a bit bizarre.

I completely agree with the weird spawn locations. The previous screen where you pick your expedition will show you where your objectives are, but the screen where you pick your trucks won't. So you have to go back and look and figure out which spawn point is closest to your objective so you can then make sure your vehicles are spawning there. If they would just show your objectives on that second map screen then I wouldn't have a problem.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Engine sounds are scuffed as hell, the DON 71 sounds like a handheld vacuum or something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

I’ve noticed the metal detector pop 3 upgrades often, when there is only one. It’s definitely buggy. Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s actually None sometimes.

For your second question: I don’t know that mission specifically but I think some of the rescue missions are intended to be hard. For example, the drowned truck in the first Carpathian map. I could barely budge that thing with the Acteon and the only routes I’ve found to the objective marker are ROUGH with anything other than a scout. I figured I need better or more powerful trucks. And a whole lot of patience.

I also couldn’t figure how to gas up a rescue truck so I could start the engine. Anyone know how?

I'm not aware of there being a way, thought that some engines are able to start and some aren't. I got the first downed truck in the Carpathian map if you're talking about the one in the crater? Wasn't too bad with some upgrades. Just make sure to check your upgrades on the trucks you use often, because sometimes they seem to come out of nowhere and suddenly they are available when I have no idea what I did. I assume I did a particular mission that unlocked them because it seems most upgrades are unlocked that way rather than in the field. maybe.

explosivo posted:

Engine sounds are scuffed as hell, the DON 71 sounds like a handheld vacuum or something.

I just listen to audiobooks or podcasts the entire time I play this game since it's so slow. I can hear the engines still but not super well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

I just listen to audiobooks or podcasts the entire time I play this game since it's so slow. I can hear the engines still but not super well.

Oh, same here, I'm usually watching something off on the side on YouTube or something but decided to play on my TV today with the sound up and was like oh god let's turn you back down..

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Play posted:

I'm not aware of there being a way, thought that some engines are able to start and some aren't. I got the first downed truck in the Carpathian map if you're talking about the one in the crater? Wasn't too bad with some upgrades. Just make sure to check your upgrades on the trucks you use often, because sometimes they seem to come out of nowhere and suddenly they are available when I have no idea what I did. I assume I did a particular mission that unlocked them because it seems most upgrades are unlocked that way rather than in the field. maybe.

Not the one in the crater, that’s easy enough, different one on the same map with a much bigger truck and much harder to access.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Deeeeep into an expedition on the 2nd map in Carpathians. I ran out of gas right next to the next objective. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to switch maps to switch to a different truck to go on a fueling run.

Somebody tell me this isn't as bad as it looks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Used a jack to flip my car over and welp.

Got a few kinks to work out. I like the the physics are still working though and pulling with a wench then releasing makes my car start bouncing focused on that wheel.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Definitely feels like the game is more work and less chill than Snowrunner. I don't like that they start charging for recovery in free roam after the first or second recovery and you have limited resources from the start and there aren't any options for changing that yet as far as I can tell. Also the lack of roads means every part of the trip is a struggle, for the most part.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Feel like I’m spamming up this thread but, something I wish I knew immediately: binoculars fill the location objectives.

They also clear fog of war. Always look through them when you have a good vantage, makes life a lot easier.

(They don’t respect the invert y axis setting, making them awkward for me to use, but that’s another story…)

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I started playing last night and have finished the first 4 expeditions in Colorado. I definitely have some complaints about the UI/UX. My biggest initial annoyance was after selecting and customizing trucks having to then back out to the mission screen to actually deploy with no indication that is what I needed to do. And I wish I could just grab expeditions from the map instead of going back to HQ. It creates weird breaks in the gameplay.

Gameplay-wise, I love the addition of the drone and the anchor points. Having the drone to scout out routes is chef's kiss. I'm looking forward to trying out some free roam and uncovering the whole map.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The drone is a great addition. I can't tell you how many times I was trying to wend my way through a forest and wanted to be able to get out of the truck to see what tree I was stuck on and how to get past it. It's incredibly satisfying to scope out a path down a cliff with the drone and anchors.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
All the minigames in missions/tasks are a dumb waste of time and should be removed except maybe the "take a picture" one, which needs the controls fixed, sensitivity is way too high, not sure why it doesn't just handle like the binoculars.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

All the minigames in missions/tasks are a dumb waste of time and should be removed except maybe the "take a picture" one, which needs the controls fixed, sensitivity is way too high, not sure why it doesn't just handle like the binoculars.

Yeah I laughed pretty hard when I got the first one of those, all the ones before had been 'get all the fish in circular scans!' or 'hit a button when the moving point is between two lines!' in the easiest drat minigame on earth. Then I got to the photo ones, and was so frustrated because I did not realize very minor UI elements were turning green at first and thought you had to just guess exactly how they wanted it. And then with a zoomed in camera if you so much as tap the right stick the camera will go flying 90 degrees to either side.

I guess that's realistic with how a camera actually works, but god drat if it doesn't feel awful and it's not like the other minigames bother with realism.

I do like the game, but the UI, bugs, strange decisions and lack of roads kind of makes me want to play more Snowrunner than anything else. But I won't because I've already played too much of that game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Play posted:

Yeah I laughed pretty hard when I got the first one of those, all the ones before had been 'get all the fish in circular scans!' or 'hit a button when the moving point is between two lines!' in the easiest drat minigame on earth. Then I got to the photo ones, and was so frustrated because I did not realize very minor UI elements were turning green at first and thought you had to just guess exactly how they wanted it. And then with a zoomed in camera if you so much as tap the right stick the camera will go flying 90 degrees to either side.

I guess that's realistic with how a camera actually works, but god drat if it doesn't feel awful and it's not like the other minigames bother with realism.

I do like the game, but the UI, bugs, strange decisions and lack of roads kind of makes me want to play more Snowrunner than anything else. But I won't because I've already played too much of that game.

Lucky for me I've only played like 100 hours of Snowrunner so I have about 900 hours left to finish, so I think I'm going back to that for now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the minigames are all pretty dumb. Slowly hovering the drone around and keeping the thing in the circle three times to 'scan the area' is just uugh. I am enjoying the driving around and general feel of this game but the tasks are all kinda dumb so far.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also, is there any way to attach winches to particular points? It seems like there isn't, right? Kind of an annoying oversight since Snowrunner had that and it was a very useful feature.

Complaining about this game a lot but I still like it, just some really baffling decisions and oversights.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Play posted:

Also, is there any way to attach winches to particular points? It seems like there isn't, right? Kind of an annoying oversight since Snowrunner had that and it was a very useful feature.

Complaining about this game a lot but I still like it, just some really baffling decisions and oversights.

Select winch from the gadget menu. Works the same way as Snowrunner from that point.

How do I remove winch anchors? I didn’t think it was possible but there’s a trophy for it…

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ultrachrist posted:

Select winch from the gadget menu. Works the same way as Snowrunner from that point.

How do I remove winch anchors? I didn’t think it was possible but there’s a trophy for it…

There are two kinds of anchors, one removable and one not. I haven't found any of the removable ones yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone else ever see this thing with this game (or Snowrunner) where the whole game hitches for a second and the onscreen commands switch to keyboard controls then changes back to controller prompts once it stops freezing and I press something? The whole thing is over in a split second usually but it's always a momentary freeze accompanied with the key commands changing and it's annoying as hell. I've seen people say this was happening to them for other games though so I dunno if it really has anything to do with this game specifically but I personally have only ever noticed this in Snowrunner/expeditions.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I get it with my controller, because it has a dodgy cable connection and I think it happens when the connection drops out momentarily then reconnects :shrug:

Man I'm loving the driving but this fuckin map and ui is one of the worst I've ever seen. Also arbitrarily swapping like, 2 of the key buttons from snowrunner controls is a real dick move :argh:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pondering how to drag a scout shaped like a ww1 tank up the side of a shear cliff (and not so slowly going insane)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I dragged the AFIM (?) back home with the Actaeon and it was a trucking odyssey filled with many tragic defeats and last minute heroics. Was that truck in Snowrunner? I don’t remember it. I’m not sure what to do it with it either. Looks bigger and stronger than the Actaeon but can’t take the big attachments of the Step.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man I'm loving the driving but this fuckin map and ui is one of the worst I've ever seen. Also arbitrarily swapping like, 2 of the key buttons from snowrunner controls is a real dick move :argh:

The map putting a GIGANTIC pin on your truck instead of a direction indicator is really annoying, you have to zoom almost all the way in to see where your vehicle is actually pointed :barf: They need to add a SR controller scheme if they're not going to let me change the buttons

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm a little confused about the airdrops. Do they just constantly spawn items to claim? So if you find the right one close to a camp you can just get infinite money?

Also, little tip. The specialists can be super useful, and they're not that expensive. Once you have more money than you need don't hesitate on those and the tools

Play fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would love for a way to set waypoints while using the drone. Let me actually chart the best path through!

I did some googling and stumbled on this fan patch for Snowrunner addressing what sounded like the problem I was having. I renamed the expeditions exe to "snowrunner.exe" then ran this updater on it then switched the name back. It might be too soon to say for sure but I think this actually did fix my issue, haven't had any of that stuttering after an hour or so.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 6, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hm, I was kind of wanting this but given the vibe here it sounds like I should wait on a sale.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Went back to Snowrunner, it's better in pretty much every way minus the drone. Not sure how they went from that game to this one, loving up the open world, map and general feel of the game so much. Feels like a B team effort.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unlucky7 posted:

Hm, I was kind of wanting this but given the vibe here it sounds like I should wait on a sale.

I'm enjoying it so far but it definitely does feel like a bit of a b-team effort. If you've played Snowrunner and liked snowrunner but not the hauling aspect then you might dig this but that's not to say that it's without its share of tedium. But yeah it's buggy and feels unfinished so waiting for a sale is probably a safe bet if you're not dying to play it.

Edit: like I think there's a cool game here it just feels possibly pretty light on content and needs a lot of post launch support.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 6, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

How do you unlock new bases? Is it fully mission based? Just ventured all the way into Cocino or whatever it's called, went to a spot where I believe there should be a base but there's nothing there :(

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
If you're not dying to try it, I would suggest waiting yes. At least for the bugs to be fixed. Hopefully for a fixed map too.

I'm really enjoying it now that I understand the game better and am on to meatier expeditions.

Play posted:

How do you unlock new bases? Is it fully mission based? Just ventured all the way into Cocino or whatever it's called, went to a spot where I believe there should be a base but there's nothing there :(

It's the first expedition in Coconino that unlocks it. If you hover over expeditions and hit triangle (ps5), you can see rewards. The expeditions that award new bases will tell you.

(I did the same thing as you)

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 6, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

RandomBlue posted:

Went back to Snowrunner, it's better in pretty much every way minus the drone. Not sure how they went from that game to this one, loving up the open world, map and general feel of the game so much. Feels like a B team effort.

I've debated buying this, and have been enjoying the LPs of it on YT.
But its the minigames that keep me from buying it.
On the bright side I have been playing more Snowrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OgNar posted:

I've debated buying this, and have been enjoying the LPs of it on YT.
But its the minigames that keep me from buying it.
On the bright side I have been playing more Snowrunner.

The minigames frankly are not a big deal, literally they may compose .1% of the total playtime. They're kind of dumb, but not a large annoyance. The UI and map are way worse.

Still really like the game despite all the faults