Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I'm waiting for some impressions on this but you can put me in the "Snowrunner is one of my favourite games of all time" camp so I fully expect I'll be diving in after watching 5 minutes of streams on thursday.

I wish there was some content available for the game already but I guess they're waiting for that "early access" hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The "spend more money" infographic on steam says 1800 CET 29/2 for EA.

I'm almost definitely going to buy it and almost definitely in the EA period but I want to at least pretend I'm waiting for impressions because the total and utter lack of open media coverage is weird as heck.

I think Saber are owned by Embracer though so we need to buy as many copies of this as possible before they get shafted.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Is anyone getting it for Switch? If so please let me know how it runs. I play snowrunner on PS4 but wouldn't mind having this one on another device.

The Snowrunner switch port is still the one I hold as the benchmark so I would be optimistic!

I upgraded to steam deck last year so I won’t actually be able to give you a real opinion but I reckon that the switch up lads on youtube will grab this one for review pretty quickly.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I budgeted wrong and had more leftover than expect after all my payday responsibilities so I guess I’m going to get this sight unseen.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
In the little tutorial world at least it seems to run at a stable 40 on my steam deck.

I haven’t fiddled with the graphics settings much yet but i’m considering sacrificing some fidelity to get 60.

I’ve only done the very first tutorial but it feels pretty good. The tiny truck you start with is a nice refreshing thing after spending the day driving the twinsteer back and forth.

They’ve changed the controls! All the gears and whatnot are on RB now and LB lets you quickly use fuel cans or repair kits to fix stuff.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

magimix posted:

Wait, what?

<checks, you know, internet poo poo...>

Not sure how I got so mixed up on dates, but clearly I need to stop playing Picross S+ and fire up the XBox...

Edit: God drat it. One of *those* games. Despite it being 7:30pm on Feb 29th (for me), it isn't unlocked yet. BOOOooooooo! :argh: Back to Picross S+ I guess.

I think consoles are tomorrow (1/3) morning. UK time.

I think I like this a lot. There are some bits and bobs that are confusing or annoying me. Currently I haven’t found the headlights button.

I’m also not sure if there is anywhere to see map completion which is upsetting as i’m trying to clear out the baby map before moving on to bigger and better things.

The general driving around is great and the focus on picking paths and resource management is really fun.

I don’t think it is possible to 100% the first map without progressing now I ponder on it. One item in the map says it can be processed in “the workshop” and the only mention of that i’ve seen is a truck module that has to be unlocked by a later mission.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 29, 2024

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I have found the headlight button (it is r-stick click on controller).

I still haven't found a map completion percentage anywhere to let me get over Little Colorado and move on to the next maps. I've done all the tasks and contracts I have been able to find though so maybe I should spread my wings.

I'm absolutely hooked on the game though. It's tickling a slightly different part of my brain from Snowrunner but it's absolutely making me happy.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So my positivity is waning due to UI things.

Example: I have a new expedition in... Wahaheheh Bay. The expedition starts in Grand Canyon, fine sure, the Niconico one also started here and the gateway was marked for me... Where is the wahahaha bay gateway? I guess I need to hop back in my truck and explore to find it? I didn't have to do that with the first one. Did I just get close enough looking for Brad?

Especially confusing is that the brad mission unlocked the wahakeka gateway but ended close to the conico gateway.

The momey to moment driving is great and I love it but this is even vaguer than mudrunner somehow!

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
The lodestar scout is a trap. It permanently has rocks stuck under the chassis. I reckon it’ll be ok with raised suspension though.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Money is somewhat meaningless because you can just free roam and fill your pockets with bones to sell. The air drops refill each time you start an expedition. I also figure the expeditions themselves are repeatable due to the optional objectives but haven’t actually tried it myself.

I love the Actaeon and just default to using it unless I need a specific attachment. It seems to bridge the scout/truck divide really well and can carry a lot of fuel.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

What was the answer to this? Same thing happened. I guess I need to free roam to find the gate?

Yeah i still haven’t found the gate but i’m happily free roaming around the grand canyon map. It’s way bigger than the first few expeditions give away.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Maudib Arakkis posted:

i get to the mountain and it just says "enter delivery mode" with no explanation how to do so and the game is frozen? Can't even tell if this is a bug or im suppose to somehow find delivery mode

“delivery mode” just means press X (on xbox controller) to open the inventory swapping window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
It feels like this game expects you to hop between regions more than Snowrunner ever did. Like I did a handful of AZ missions and then immediately got hit with "Very Hard" so I hopped over to the green land and am handling the easier missions there.

Then I think I'll try to do some contracts and assignments in the free roams see what I can't unlock. I've already come across the Pug assignment and uuuhhhh, that one can wait a bit I think.

I am really enjoying the game but the bad parts are super bad, the not being able to change maps thing is nuts!