Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You can reset realms which should renew everything. Not sure what happens to your home if you do it to your abeyance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dunno why you'd reset your abeyance without having already shifted all your stuff elsewhere first, but people do do dumb things.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So far this games got me hooked, i love the way the materials you use for a tool or weapon can affect thier stats without having a whole new recipe.

I will say the progression is slow going, feels like i have to spend an hour just to get a new card and then spend a lot more time just to get the materials for the next part, whether cards, workshops or tools.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Do you mean getting new cards unlocked? Because the recipes for the stuff to make new cards are way more generous than I expected, much like bullets.

Admittedly I'm only up to the second tier with the fancier ink and paper, I'm sure it's more of a hassle later. I'm basking, leave me alone.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I guess i mean like there seems to be a whole long quest just to get a single thing that gives me the ability to progress. Or its gated by item level so i gotta go back to base and upgrade my set and i kinda find myself waiting for materials to finish refining for a while.

I just got the herbarium card and got a gun (the rifle) though, and that feels amazing! Being able to just dome fairy folk in the head is way better than the glorified slingshot

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah progression can be slow but once you move up even a little and start murdering the poo poo out of everything it feels really good. Have the Chassepot and made it with better metals and at base it's got like 1k attack. Headshots/heartshots just gently caress poo poo UP.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I started the game out on Hard and hit a wall at the Provisioner site of power since my ilvl was ~20 levels below and increasing it with only the antiquarian and astrolabe realms was super slow if it was even possible to get up to 67. My suggestion is to either start off in Easy or at least set up an abeyance realm portal on easy so you can blast through the early tiers to get better weapons and magic. I feel like there is way too much repetitiveness in the game right now, no idea why there are essentially 9 realms you need to go through in each tier to unlock recipes to get to the next tier and repeat it all again.

I've uninstalled for now, found myself spending more time juggling inventory and being disconnected than actually playing the game so waiting till they at least add craft from containers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hihohe posted:

I guess i mean like there seems to be a whole long quest just to get a single thing that gives me the ability to progress. Or its gated by item level so i gotta go back to base and upgrade my set and i kinda find myself waiting for materials to finish refining for a while.
Make more refiners.

And/or do other stuff while you're waiting, like getting more wood/tin/rock/whatever for the basic stuff where quality doesn't matter

stringless fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 6, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Youre probably right, but i like my house small and cozy. :ohdear:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Build another house! A house for wares.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What do i do with all these enhancement I've gotten from the puzzle ruins?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Upgrade all your gear from common to uncommon (enchanting table? upgrade bench?) then apply the upgrades to them. As a bonus that gives you higher gear score.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

You'll eventually unlock the ability to craft each of them, so store the useless ones or burn 'em for essence, and use the good ones on whatever.

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 6, 2024

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
About what level do you unlock rifles? Im working through the Hunt(70) cards now and all i got is a pistol. I feel like ive been on tier 2 stuff for a while.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You can get early guns in provisioner level. Each realm forest, desert, swamp has one; pistol, rifle, shotgun.

ZombieCrew posted:

About what level do you unlock rifles? Im working through the Hunt(70) cards now and all i got is a pistol. I feel like ive been on tier 2 stuff for a while.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I avoided guns for a while because I figured the material requirements would be onerous, but they're actually not terrible. I made a mostly copper "revolver" (four barrel break action pistol that it turns out can fire all the barrels at once by hitting "V") and I should probably get around to making a shotgun as well.

Looks like the recipe for the basic rifle can be acquired from essence traders in Provisioner Swamp realms? maybe?

update: it can, but of the two essence traders that were in the one I built a portal for, one had it and the other was poo poo.

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 6, 2024

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, i tried clearing provisioners swamp and the essence trader kept disappearing when i got close to it. That figures. Ill try and reset that realm and search again. Thanks!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've had some funny interactions with traders in swamps. They seem to enjoy parking in deep enough water to get you wet and diseased if you actually talk to them, so I've left foundation platforms around several of them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FFT posted:

I've had some funny interactions with traders in swamps. They seem to enjoy parking in deep enough water to get you wet and diseased if you actually talk to them, so I've left foundation platforms around several of them.

You just have disease debt, stand in the water, see the trader is fine you will be too.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If it's the one with the caravan you can stand on the steps beside them and still access them from it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Waiting for the game to finish patching to see if they've reversed my 143,000 essences that I acquired by foul means...

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

YerDa Zabam posted:

Waiting for the game to finish patching to see if they've reversed my 143,000 essences that I acquired by foul means...

They didn't but you can't do it any more and now you have to actually spend essence to repair poo poo.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
noooooooo. I wish essences would at least disenchant down one level. From t2 to t1 and then dust, instead of straight to dust. Getting t1 essence is now a pain that I'm in t2.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ess posted:

noooooooo. I wish essences would at least disenchant down one level. From t2 to t1 and then dust, instead of straight to dust. Getting t1 essence is now a pain that I'm in t2.

Thankfully you dont need a ton of t1 dust later. Just to upgrade items and craft certain things. You could reset a proviosoner card and just clear the occupied, intel, and insight areas. Those seem to be the fastest ones to clear for me.

E: my problem is the lowest tier essence! Its like 2k + to repair all my stuff. I only imagine it gets worse later. I been crafting spare stone into ammo just to clear space and extract. Same with crude fiber. Make that into thread and you get a little extra when you extract.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 8, 2024

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ZombieCrew posted:

Thankfully you dont need a ton of t1 dust later. Just to upgrade items and craft certain things. You could reset a proviosoner card and just clear the occupied, intel, and insight areas. Those seem to be the fastest ones to clear for me.

E: my problem is the lowest tier essence! Its like 2k + to repair all my stuff. I only imagine it gets worse later. I been crafting spare stone into ammo just to clear space and extract. Same with crude fiber. Make that into thread and you get a little extra when you extract.

I wonder does it get to the point where it's quicker to just let it break and make a new thing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lemonadesweetheart posted:

They didn't but you can't do it any more and now you have to actually spend essence to repair poo poo.
Well, poo poo.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

I wonder does it get to the point where it's quicker to just let it break and make a new thing

i guess this would depend on how heavily you minmaxed the thing. I haven't really leaned into the whole "oh I want this material for my shirt and this material for my backpack" but I guess for t4, t5 equipment it starts to make sense? I don't know how many steps of refinement we get up to, but the resource costs don't seem particularly egregious yet.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just unlocked the end game and was in an antiquarian ascended and I jump back to respite and I appear in the middle of nowhere. Confused as gently caress I head back to where my house is. Something destroyed an entire corner of it including my estate and worse of all a bunch of storage containers that I had near the doorway that had the guts of 40 hours worth of materials in them. I think it was must have been a carnute but what is the loving point in building anything if they can just be demolished while you aren't there.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I haven't engaged with the multiplayer aspect of this game even once (though I'd like to) and it is enraging me that not only can I not pause the game, now I'm getting minute+ delays warping home.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's annoying, I should have gotten more than 7k essence. I figured once I bought up all the stuff the first trader I'd not need anymore for a while.

Guess I'll just have to do it the way they intended

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

T2 essence extracts to basic essence at 250 a pop.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh poo poo I just got to the part that's got obligatory multiplayer lmao (The Watch)

Cool cool now I've got to get some T3 essence to get an upgrade bench that can use T2 essence, this makes perfect sense.

god drat that's a lot of T3 essence to unlock stuff

warning: those portals under the main floor will just pull you in before you realize there isn't a pop-up about where you're going -- it's explained if you talk to the NPCs first though

where you're going is a Fae Portal mini dungeon thing but longer and with other people, highly recommend, got 300 T3 out of it, so only 40 or so more to get all the "Dauntless" and "Mystic" tool unlocks I guess

stringless fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 10, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Been getting a bunch of travel errors, where it disconnects me on failure to load wherever I'm attempting to go. Cool cool cool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It took me way too long to figure out how to craft cards for the open your first portal quest, due to me not realizing the mortar station was under refinement. Though now i'm in the other world and I need to get essance, but it only seems to count essance that I gather from fallen enemies or collect from those story points. Just dismantling some wood doesn't seem to count.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

It took me way too long to figure out how to craft cards for the open your first portal quest, due to me not realizing the mortar station was under refinement. Though now i'm in the other world and I need to get essance, but it only seems to count essance that I gather from fallen enemies or collect from those story points. Just dismantling some wood doesn't seem to count.

Dismantling or extracting will only give you the dust which is the lowest tier, to get anything higher you have to do the points of interest. To get t1 you have to be in a lower level domains (20-40 I think), to get t2 the upper level domains (50-70) and t3 from the watch and ascended areas. These aren't impacted by the difficulty you set the region to but you will get more essence from the things you do the higher the difficulty. If you tap out a zone of the things to do you can create more cards and reset the area, it's on the bottom left of the portal interface and is different to the reopening.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Wait, T3 is the max? Ugh I'm gonna have to make a better pick, AGAIN

it's fine, I've got the stuff for it, but lmao I just unlocked the better upgrade stations (you need all three because they're each for one tier only unlike all of the crafting stations which do everything the lesser ones can do) and still didn't hit 200 which is needed for dunno what ores because I haven't cracked into them yet. It's 230 for the naturally-occuring bismuth too.

Had to make a Forest Antiquarian portal so I could get the fuckin watering can recipe and it turns out that's where you can get the plant box recipe too. Where are the wheat seeds then??

I managed to get enough to start but goddamn it takes 10 wheat fiber to make one flour, and 10 is about what you get from 6 plant boxes-worth at a time. From that you make dough, from dough you can make bread, and bread's got good bonuses, but goddamn that's a grind

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 14, 2024

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

FFT posted:

Wait, T3 is the max? Ugh I'm gonna have to make a better pick, AGAIN

it's fine, I've got the stuff for it, but lmao I just unlocked the better upgrade stations (you need all three because they're each for one tier only unlike all of the crafting stations which do everything the lesser ones can do) and still didn't hit 200 which is needed for dunno what ores because I haven't cracked into them yet. It's 230 for the naturally-occuring bismuth too.

Had to make a Forest Antiquarian portal so I could get the fuckin watering can recipe and it turns out that's where you can get the plant box recipe too. Where are the wheat seeds then??

I managed to get enough to start but goddamn it takes 10 wheat fiber to make one flour, and 10 is about what you get from 6 plant boxes-worth at a time. From that you make dough, from dough you can make bread, and bread's got good bonuses, but goddamn that's a grind

There are higher grade materials on the higher levels.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There are higher grade materials on the higher levels.
Oh I know, I'm into the Ascended stuff, it's just a hassle.

Speaking of hassle, hit a Bastion of Intellect with seven notes earlier. At least it gave 50 T3, the perfectly normal three-note one just nearby only gave 13 or so.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Watering cans lose 1 durability per second while pouring, i.e. the thing they're designed to do basically forever.

Anyway I did manage to build a Rugged Pick with decent mats that I managed to break 200 iLevel with, now to plow through a bunch of Vaults to unlock Dauntless tools so I can break through the ores that need 240. Mats matter for iLevel, but higher-tier recipes include more of them so you get more in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dismantling or extracting will only give you the dust which is the lowest tier, to get anything higher you have to do the points of interest. To get t1 you have to be in a lower level domains (20-40 I think), to get t2 the upper level domains (50-70) and t3 from the watch and ascended areas. These aren't impacted by the difficulty you set the region to but you will get more essence from the things you do the higher the difficulty. If you tap out a zone of the things to do you can create more cards and reset the area, it's on the bottom left of the portal interface and is different to the reopening.

Guess i'm going to have to explore this world a bit more. Find more wolves to kill and POI to investigate. Hopefully this will unlock being able to make metal tools, I hate walking around with stone for so long.