Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Just as a comparison, here's the 1980 version of the Zen Garden scene from episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtFfxjLjUU

Wow

Pretty dry

The blocking in the new one is great, placing Toranaga higher up not only as a sign of his power but also so he can see the map from above

The gravity of finding out about Portugal’s bases in Macau putting everyone on alert

Mariko’s inner conflict about hearing about the Portuguese

That’s juicy stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone who is old and remembers the 1980 version recount what it was like and how it compares? One thing I’m hearing is that it laid on Japanese stereotypes pretty hard, so much that Japanese audiences groaned over it

The Japanese reception was also to some degree due to the way Japanese audiences had soured on Samurai media. Kurosawa was also unfashionable at the time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've soured on American movies glorifying the military so that resonates with me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This show is incredible.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can’t wait to see what they do with the ninja attack.

When Clavell wrote the book, and when the tv series aired, we were in the “ninja wore black bodysuits and masks and threw metal stars at people” era. I wonder if they’ll change some of that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Can’t wait to see what they do with the ninja attack.

When Clavell wrote the book, and when the tv series aired, we were in the “ninja wore black bodysuits and masks and threw metal stars at people” era. I wonder if they’ll change some of that.

Probably the attack at the end of the second episode is a good indication, and it was executed pretty well. I've never seen the 80s version but I read a review that said the equivalent scene in that had a stereotypical ninja, and honestly from the book I remember most such attacks basically involving stereotypical ninjas

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
big-arse mary when

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Real life William Adams worked for a predecessor to the Dutch East India Company so in the big picture his employers were a bigger threat to the world than the Portuguese

Edit: Also he’s English so his people would also later come up with the British East India Company, the second most evil corporation of all time

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 29, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fortunately ninja attacks in dramas about japan have been relegated to the dustbin of history. Now to take a big sip of coffee and start watching tokyo vice (2022)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can't wait to check this out. I read the book for school like, over twenty years ago. I remember a lot, but the thing I keep thinking about it How people would pee together to make a deal? Was that a thing?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone who is old and remembers the 1980 version recount what it was like and how it compares? One thing I’m hearing is that it laid on Japanese stereotypes pretty hard, so much that Japanese audiences groaned over it

The mini series ripped out a lot of the politics to focus on a story that'll be coming up in a few episodes. Very little use of subtitles to play up the alieness of Japan and played up the white savior bit that the book did a lot of work to undermine.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Can't wait to check this out. I read the book for school like, over twenty years ago. I remember a lot, but the thing I keep thinking about it How people would pee together to make a deal? Was that a thing?

It's taken directly from a pretty well known folk story about the real people the taiko and toranaga are based on. It even inspired a weird japanese saying that's kind of like "birds of a feather flock together" but for piss https://kotobank.jp/word/%E9%96%A2%E6%9D%B1%E3%81%AE%E9%80%A3%E5%B0%8F%E4%BE%BF-2026289

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably the attack at the end of the second episode is a good indication, and it was executed pretty well. I've never seen the 80s version but I read a review that said the equivalent scene in that had a stereotypical ninja, and honestly from the book I remember most such attacks basically involving stereotypical ninjas

Yeah but in 1980 ninjas weren't stereotypical. Like, ninja lore exploded later. I remember watching Pray for Death and being floored

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jerusalem posted:

Just as a comparison, here's the 1980 version of the Zen Garden scene from episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWtFfxjLjUU

I forgot they got Toshiro Mifune as Toranaga in that one!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Steve Yun posted:

Clavell did a lot of work on the script and as others have said, a lot of the Japanese politics elements have been truncated to focus mostly on Blackthorn's story. The book does this a little bit too in that it takes longer to get into Japanese politics, whereas the new show puts it front and center with Blackthorne being sort of a piece added into it, and i think it's vastly improved for it. Though, for the length the 1980 series had, the Story of John Blackthorn is probably all the time they had.

Clevell has some trashy quality to his work but he does have a knack for drama and action-adventure.

In the book, "Unless we win" is used in reference to Toranaga suggesting that the Dutch should be executed for rebelling against their Hapsburg liege lords, to kinda show that all those rules everyone talks about really doesn't apply compared to power. I'm not really sure the line was appropriate for the conversation this adaptation had, and it just felt like a nod to the scene that was cut for this one.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 29, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Entropic posted:

I forgot they got Toshiro Mifune as Toranaga in that one!

yeah and he acted circles around everyone

edit: I didn't mine the reworking of "not if I win" because the acting was great and in the end delivering the line about obeying your lord would probably take time to fully explain. It works here I think. But yeah the moment is pivotal as it is the moment that Anjin isn't just a chess piece he has the kind of mind where Toranaga realizes he can be an ally

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 29, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kiimo posted:

Yeah but in 1980 ninjas weren't stereotypical. Like, ninja lore exploded later. I remember watching Pray for Death and being floored

The 80s USA ninja craze started later in the decade, but ninja were already stereotypical in Japan at the time, due to all those great 60s Japanese ninja films none of us could see back then.

I’m sure this is where Clavell got his inspiration for that part of the book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Interesting

but let's be honest it's kind of funny seeing James Clavell type out

NNNNNNIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNJJJJJJJAAAAAAA!

lol I love it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ninjas dressed in black are totally ahistorical so even though they were staple for a long time it's good if they change that for this show

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

this is my historical ninja

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The ending credits have a ridiculous about of Japanese culture accuracy consultants

A friend of a friend was trained in Japanese theater and commented about how authentic the movements were. Something that stuck out to me was the very regimented way how Toranaga moved his robe slack out of the way when he sat down to talk to the dying taiko

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

The ending credits have a ridiculous about of Japanese culture accuracy consultants

A friend of a friend was trained in Japanese theater and commented about how authentic the movements were. Something that stuck out to me was the very regimented way how Toranaga moved his robe slack out of the way when he sat down to talk to the dying taiko
It's actually quite remarkable how it looks and sounds almost exactly like a period drama produced in Japan would (but higher budget than it would be if it was a Japanese tv show).

Usually a show produced outside of Japan wouldn't feel like a Japanese period drama even if they put effort into accuracy and there weren't any specific language issues or anything like that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mystes posted:

It's actually quite remarkable how it looks and sounds almost exactly like a period drama produced in Japan would (but higher budget than it would be if it was a Japanese tv show).

Usually a show produced outside of Japan wouldn't feel like a Japanese period drama even if they put effort into accuracy and there weren't any specific language issues or anything like that.

I have a sneaking suspicion that an actual Japanese production would cast an actress that looks different as Mariko. The Japanese nerds complained about Rinko Kikuchi in Pacific Rim (!?, lol), for example, as an example of perfidious Westerners casting someone who doesn't fit their beauty standards.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah! There’s a huge amount of love and care that went into getting things period-accurate here.

I do not pretend to be an expert in pre-Edo and early Edo period history.

I am though on a discord that’s chock full of people who teach Japanese history and language. The people there tend to really rip a lot of modern shows set during the period. They despise the samurai documentary that’s on Netflix, for example. But so far, they’ve been blown away by the first two episodes. Which is awesome.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShowTime posted:

They are switching the comparisons now to Succession, which is way more accurate.

lol people need to find better words to say a show is good. This is nothing like Succession except that it is also very very very good. Kudos to the poster who brought up Chernobyl. That feels like an apt comparison - historical-inspired mini series. Regardless, whatever gets people watching this is a net good. Could use more shows this confident in the world.

You're fully immersed in a world that's foreign to today and it's effortless to believe these characters were people. And the stuff they're doing is loving rad, like roping down a wet cliff just to prove to a prisoner that you're manly. And then pay for it. And then try to kill yourself. But then it's ok and you did earn their respect. Cool poo poo.

Whoever is programming at FX is making a good name for themselves between this, Fargo, and Reservation Dogs. Each gives HBO a run for their money.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 29, 2024

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
People have forgotten that film is not the only medium SHOGUN has been adapted into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ_GcrzB_Pg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

People have forgotten that film is not the only medium SHOGUN has been adapted into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ_GcrzB_Pg

I hate every Portuguean I see

From Portugays

To Portugueze

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This seems like a good show! My cousin had the book, so I might end up reading this between episodes, cause I can't wait for more.

Why did doofus samurai ever offer to end his whole line? I woulda thought plain ol seppuku would be enough repentance for speaking out of turn, without offering to kill his own baby too. (Although I suppose it's in character, the main data point we have about that guy is that he can't keep his mouth shut)

mystes posted:

Ninjas dressed in black are totally ahistorical so even though they were staple for a long time it's good if they change that for this show

It's a really good archetype, though, you can't get rid of it entirely. Stealthy figure all in black silently making his way through the palace, throws little metal stars with lethal edges, master of martial arts. It's a classic for a reason.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

mystes posted:

Agreed. FX/Hulu deserve huge props for adapting it.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

lol people need to find better words to say a show is good.

People really lack the vocabulary and, probably, critical skills to describe what they like and dislike (and what is objectively and subjectively 'good') about media in general. For instance, True Detective's latest season is divisive and most people can't seem to articulate why their opinions differ from others and default to making ad hominem attacks against those they disagree with.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This show is awesome as gently caress, and is making me want to play Ghost of Tsushima for a second time, granted that takes place in a different time period of Japan. And then there is Rise of the Ronin on March 22nd.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Phenotype posted:

Why did doofus samurai ever offer to end his whole line?

Probably to keep Toranaga sympathetic to the audience. In the book he's the one who orders it, and also denies doofus samurai the right to take his own life and has him executed as a common criminal instead. Some line about how "you were born samurai by mistake and therefore so was your son."

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just finished the second episode. This show wields it's bilingual presentation awe-inspiringly well. The translator scenes are enthralling, partly because it doesn't cut away from them straight up, but the gradual fade of everyone but John and Toranaga was perfect.

also holy gently caress I thought John's voice was cool so I looked up the actor - he did a cheesy folky song I had in regular rotation -- twelve years ago called Gay Pirates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAV3AbaTRYs. God drat, good for him. In hindsight, shame Our Flag Means Death didn't use it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 29, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This show slaps

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished the second episode. This show wields it's bilingual presentation awe-inspiringly well. The translator scenes are enthralling, partly because it doesn't cut away from them straight up, but the gradual fade of everyone but John and Toranaga was perfect.

also holy gently caress I thought John's voice was cool so I looked up the actor - he did a cheesy folky song I had in regular rotation -- twelve years ago called Gay Pirates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAV3AbaTRYs. God drat, good for him. In hindsight, shame Our Flag Means Death didn't use it.

I’m so sad our flag means death isnt getting a 3rd season.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Just finished the second episode. This show wields it's bilingual presentation awe-inspiringly well.

Although I have to say I didn't realize until the second episode that the "English" they were speaking is actually Portuguese, I thought the Portuguese priests were just talking to the Englishman in English. I finally got it when the priest is talking to Mariko and asking her if she gets more use out of her Latin or her Portuguese and I was like "'or her English,' right? You're talking in English... oh..."

Which then made the scene with the map in the sand better, because yeah, Japan is completely isolated from the rest of Europe. It's not like Portuguese merchants are going to tell them that there's even a place called England.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How does being a missionary to a place like that work, anyway? You show up on a boat, and you just start randomly talking to people like "hey, there's this dude called jesus and he loves you very much"? How does Christianity get a foothold there?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Phenotype posted:

How does being a missionary to a place like that work, anyway? You show up on a boat, and you just start randomly talking to people like "hey, there's this dude called jesus and he loves you very much"? How does Christianity get a foothold there?

"Convert to Jesus, daimyo-sama, and we can trade with you as fellow Christians. And we just happen to have a boat filled with guns and gunpowder out in the bay. You know, the kind of technology your local rivals don't have."

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Phenotype posted:

Jesuits were like special forces versions of diplomats: they took the smartest students from the elites of the Catholic world, taught them scientific, engineering, military and mathematical principles, screened out anyone who wasn’t going to hack it being dumped in a totally alien culture and then sent them all over the world to spread influence by tagging along with national diplomatic missions and sharing useful, practical knowledge as advisors. Also by using flashy memory tricks like the ‘palace of the mind’. People like Francis Xavier were very very capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the leper lord for example also has another sort of thing going on

Japanese culture says you're unclean and it's probably a spiritual problem, some sufficiently motivated Catholic priest says no actually you can repent and it'll all be cool when you die