Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I love whenever the spy guy shows up. He never drops his put-upon peasant act around the other villagers or even when speaking with Toranaga. Dude's a trooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I have a suspicion that the finale might be 90 minutes to really ham up the suspense. Anybody able to find that info a week in advance?

Edit: This online TV guide gives it a 90 minute block, but if that's with commercials, then they must all have been taking up 90 minutes, because each episode is a solid 50-60 minutes without commercials.

E:

glassyalabolas posted:

The hulu app indicates a runtime of 63 minutes.

:thx:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 18, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Couldn't remember the exact sequencing on Mariko's seppuku threat from the book but that was a real fun and real tense half of an episode until I unlocked that memory. Whole episode was great though, looking forward to the finale but sad that it's all coming to an end.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/DaveMcNamee3000/status/1780980709878120876

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lmao

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sonatinas posted:

This show really should be called drip masters because the costumes in some of these scenes are unreal. Sometimes I get pulled out because I’m checking out Ishido’s patterns or whatever.
This show wins multiple Emmys or it's a miscarriage of justice, but Best Costumes is right at the tippy top of the list.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's probably too early in the year to speculate about awards very well. Mainly I don't really know if anything coming out later this year is due for its coronation tour like succession was last year

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

XYZAB posted:

I have a suspicion that the finale might be 90 minutes to really ham up the suspense. Anybody able to find that info a week in advance?

Edit: This online TV guide gives it a 90 minute block, but if that's with commercials, then they must all have been taking up 90 minutes, because each episode is a solid 50-60 minutes without commercials.

The hulu app indicates a runtime of 63 minutes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The idea of this airing on TV, even cable, baffles me. There is a lot of swearing and blood and there's even been a bare breast or two, how heavily is FX having to edit it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CapnAndy posted:

The idea of this airing on TV, even cable, baffles me. There is a lot of swearing and blood and there's even been a bare breast or two, how heavily is FX having to edit it?

It still feels a bit weird seeing gore and loving on Disney+. Even five years ago that would've never happened.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
My one complaint is that there's been a distressing lack of Fuji-sama the past few episodes.

Whenever Fuji-sama is not onscreen, all the other characters should be saying, "Where's Fuji-sama?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

stev posted:

It still feels a bit weird seeing gore and loving on Disney+. Even five years ago that would've never happened.
Deadpool was the tip of the spear there. They were siloing Deadpool 1 & 2 and Logan on Hulu but they wanted to, y'know, not do that with Deadpool 3 coming up, which meant Disney+ needed to get R ratings allowed and parental control, and then once that was in, well...

genuinely unsure why Hulu even exists at this point, really. Except that I'm sure Disney likes cashing two monthly payments per month from a lot of users.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Laterite posted:

My one complaint is that there's been a distressing lack of Fuji-sama the past few episodes.

Whenever Fuji-sama is not onscreen, all the other characters should be saying, "Where's Fuji-sama?"

CeeJee posted:

Historically the Battle of Sekigahara has a large portion of the enemy army defect mid-battle

Obviously that large portion of the enemy army found out where she was and changed sides accordingly!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's probably too early in the year to speculate about awards very well. Mainly I don't really know if anything coming out later this year is due for its coronation tour like succession was last year

This is why I can never take the Emmys seriously. Succession winning everything was so dumb, given the caliber of competition. Seeing every category stacked with succession nominees was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the TV industry.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is that one movie still censored on Disney+? The like totally unremarkable romcom the 90s where the photoshopped out some girls butt with long hair?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is that one movie still censored on Disney+? The like totally unremarkable romcom the 90s where the photoshopped out some girls butt with long hair?
Splash, and a quick google turned up people saying both yes and no so :shrug:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Laterite posted:

I honestly thought she was going to be in Osaka blasting the ninjas with Blackthorne.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

CapnAndy posted:

Grain of salt because it was Sling, but on FX it was poorly quality (720p?) and the nudity in the first episode was covered up by a vague darkness. Like a shadow had been cast over her body. Switched to Hulu and didn’t look back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

CapnAndy posted:

Splash, and a quick google turned up people saying both yes and no so :shrug:

please tell me there is some rando remake of Splash and we're not talking about the Tom Hanks / Darryl Hannah movie

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

kiimo posted:

please tell me there is some rando remake of Splash and we're not talking about the Tom Hanks / Darryl Hannah movie

No, they very much are.

Disney censored Daryl Hannah's butt when they first released Splash on Disney+ by CGI-ing longer hair, but did it very poorly so it just looked like she had a hairy rear end.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

god i'm old

quote:

totally unremarkable romcom the 90s

this though lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That said, I would not in the slightest surprised to learn that they HAD made a Splash tv series, that it ran for 11 seasons and was the most streamed sitcom in all of recorded history with all kinds of stats showing it had a huge level of engagement and interest from viewers... and that nobody had ever heard of it OR the people who starred in it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
i wonder what the odds of this getting a physical release are

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That said, I would not in the slightest surprised to learn that they HAD made a Splash tv series, that it ran for 11 seasons and was the most streamed sitcom in all of recorded history with all kinds of stats showing it had a huge level of engagement and interest from viewers... and that nobody had ever heard of it OR the people who starred in it.

What is stopping you

get to pitchin this

edit: cast the guy that plays Squirrley Dan on Letterkenny to play John Candy's character, smoking while playing racquetball lol

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 19, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

McNally posted:

No, they very much are.

Disney censored Daryl Hannah's butt when they first released Splash on Disney+ by CGI-ing longer hair, but did it very poorly so it just looked like she had a hairy rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJJlEGOfngs
BEHOLD THE HAIRBUTT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

i wonder what the odds of this getting a physical release are

I really loving hope it does, it can sit on my shelf with Chernobyl and (at the end of this month) Andor as beautiful loving television series that streaming services can't steal from me.

kiimo posted:

What is stopping you

You know that little voice in your head that says,"You're wrong about this, people won't like this, don't do this"? Well I have one of those too. Thus barring me forever from being a television executive.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol that movie was written by Brian Grazer. All the way back when he was a writer.

The star power it took to put that together and it was mediocre as hell but I didn't care I was like 7 and just wanted to see mermaid butts

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

someone please give me a jacket based on yabu's crow feather armor.

Saeki Toranagabrother is the one character in the show I've noticed wearing something similar but his feathers are white. In this essay I will

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

Saeki Toranagabrother is the one character in the show I've noticed wearing something similar but his feathers are white. In this essay I will

:hmmyes:

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

ptkfvk posted:

speaking of the dead gardener, are we going to see more of the actual spy? didnt toranaga say he was one of his most trusted samurai?

The epilouge will show that the spy and Fuji get married and run a bed and breakfast out of the former tea house.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CapnAndy posted:

This show wins multiple Emmys or it's a miscarriage of justice, but Best Costumes is right at the tippy top of the list.

Did Kingdom win anything for that? Because it was as good if not better.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Did Kingdom win anything for that? Because it was as good if not better.

Kingdom's hat game is unmatched on the screen.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Props to this version going all out with the exploding door and leaving no doubt compared to the 80s one being more *boomf - door falls down like a wobbly bookshelf* and left me baffled afterwards that anyone could possibly be killed.

Does feel like this version has been sorely lacking a lot of the fun Blackthorne/Rodriguez frenemy moments though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sentinel Red posted:

Does feel like this version has been sorely lacking a lot of the fun Blackthorne/Rodriguez frenemy moments though.

It's missing some of Blackthorne's good stuff from the book yeah.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm really hoping they spend some time making up for this next week. :pray:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He finally knows enough Japanese to directly ask Toranaga for his ship.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Speaking of something from the book that's not in the show, wasn't there a scene where Blackthorn sees someone pooping in the street and a peasant comes by to scoop it up for use as fertilizer? Am I just imagining that?

Not enough medieval dramas deal with sanitation practices :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was, it was there to talk about Japan's use of it as fertilizer since there was very limited animal husbandry by law.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm not very good at poetry meanings, so please forgive me, but Mariko's "A flower is only a flower because it falls" basically means "we treasure flowers because they are temporary, if they lasted forever we wouldn't give a poo poo" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yabu grunts, "A flower's supposed to attract bees so plants can make baby plants. Idiot. And they make me sneeze."

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 19, 2024