Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not very good at poetry meanings, so please forgive me, but Mariko's "A flower is only a flower because it falls" basically means "we treasure flowers because they are temporary, if they lasted forever we wouldn't give a poo poo" right?

Not that we wouldn't give a poo poo, just that the knowledge of the flower's inevitable death gives us a deeper, more bittersweet appreciation for its beauty while it lasts. I think Mariko sees herself as a cut flower on display somewhere - basically already dead, but being kept alive for some purpose out of her control. Unlike the flower though, she can choose when she passes from her state of limbo into true death. She's wanted to kill herself for years after she was "plucked" from her family and heritage, but didn't, because she wanted her death to have some meaning or purpose, so that her life would also have meaning and purpose in the eyes of others, and she wouldnt be looked at as just the daughter of a traitor.

Choosing when the "flower falls" (when and how you die) is a major preoccupation with the characters in this show, and I suppose samurai/nobility at the time in general. Dying a "good death", or at least by your own hand, is seen as honorable and makes people look at your life positively because it ended within your control, as a result of choices you made up to the final thrust of the knife in a ritual suicide. Dying well means you lived well, but dying randomly (like Toranaga Jr), well that's just embarrassing and kind of makes everything you did before that pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
On a lighter note - the costumes are indeed amazing but I've found myself mostly wondering what it feels like (on a tactile, cloth-on-skin sense) to wear top-quality silk like that. Must feel pretty awesome!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mauser posted:

Speaking of something from the book that's not in the show, wasn't there a scene where Blackthorn sees someone pooping in the street and a peasant comes by to scoop it up for use as fertilizer? Am I just imagining that?

Not enough medieval dramas deal with sanitation practices :colbert:

In East Asia use of human feces as fertilizer was and is still common in some places, which is one reason eating uncooked vegetables is uncommon to downright taboo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mauser posted:

Speaking of something from the book that's not in the show, wasn't there a scene where Blackthorn sees someone pooping in the street and a peasant comes by to scoop it up for use as fertilizer? Am I just imagining that?

Not enough medieval dramas deal with sanitation practices :colbert:

Kingdom also had a poop scene.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hirsute posted:

On a lighter note - the costumes are indeed amazing but I've found myself mostly wondering what it feels like (on a tactile, cloth-on-skin sense) to wear top-quality silk like that. Must feel pretty awesome!

I feel like every time I've heard an actor on the show talk about it, the first thing they say is always how insanely heavy the costumes are. They probably do feel nice, but wearing 8 layers for extended periods of time probably cancels that out pretty fast

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hirsute posted:

Not that we wouldn't give a poo poo, just that the knowledge of the flower's inevitable death gives us a deeper, more bittersweet appreciation for its beauty while it lasts. I think Mariko sees herself as a cut flower on display somewhere - basically already dead, but being kept alive for some purpose out of her control. Unlike the flower though, she can choose when she passes from her state of limbo into true death. She's wanted to kill herself for years after she was "plucked" from her family and heritage, but didn't, because she wanted her death to have some meaning or purpose, so that her life would also have meaning and purpose in the eyes of others, and she wouldnt be looked at as just the daughter of a traitor.

Choosing when the "flower falls" (when and how you die) is a major preoccupation with the characters in this show, and I suppose samurai/nobility at the time in general. Dying a "good death", or at least by your own hand, is seen as honorable and makes people look at your life positively because it ended within your control, as a result of choices you made up to the final thrust of the knife in a ritual suicide. Dying well means you lived well, but dying randomly (like Toranaga Jr), well that's just embarrassing and kind of makes everything you did before that pointless.

Fantastic post. In particular, this makes the subplot with the gardener take on even greater significance. For Blackthorne, it's a stupid, meaningless death. But for the gardener, it was a way for him to die a hero in the eyes of his family and friends.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

You think the sun is gonna shine in the final episode?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Hirsute posted:

A long, long time ago I got to be an extra on a Japanese drama playing a rich white dude doing tea ceremony. I was only in one establishing shot that pans by me before settling on the main actress, but they dressed me up in a real-deal full kimono that took two assistants to wrap me into. Felt good. But also slightly constricting. It makes you think very carefully about moving around and if it's worth the effort.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The show also went out of its way to add even an additional case study of the big "acceptance of death is a perspective worthy of respect and consideration" theme over the book with hiromatsu.

I'm a sucker for a clearly stated coherent theme so props to them for getting it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Tankbuster posted:

Kingdom also had a poop scene.

really selling me on Kingdom

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like every time I've heard an actor on the show talk about it, the first thing they say is always how insanely heavy the costumes are. They probably do feel nice, but wearing 8 layers for extended periods of time probably cancels that out pretty fast

notably, the armour is shockingly lightweight - uncommonly so for productions like this - while the outfits are typically heavier.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mauser posted:

really selling me on Kingdom

where's the TV/IV thread on Kingdom?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I just realized we're talking about the Korean horror series Kingdom and not another show and hell yeah those hats ruled. I never got to the second season, but I'm sure the hats are great

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Having a guy who's job is to run around the place carrying your proclamations on a big stick must be sick as hell.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

No Mods No Masters posted:

The show also went out of its way to add even an additional case study of the big "acceptance of death is a perspective worthy of respect and consideration" theme over the book with hiromatsu.

I'm a sucker for a clearly stated coherent theme so props to them for getting it

I think they kinda had to when they removed the scene that had Blackthorne learning that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dikkfor posted:

Having a guy who's job is to run around the place carrying your proclamations on a big stick must be sick as hell.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dikkfor posted:

being emptyquoted en masse irl

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Can someone somewhat knowledgeable fill me in on what the deal with ninja/shinobi was at the time? Were they skilled mercenaries a lord could hire to do clandestine dirty work or were they a sort of special forces they had in reserve or did both exist? The bandits hired to kill traveling lords are basically thugs but as we see, the shinobi are clearly trained and specialized. How do you become a shinobi? Are there actually “clans”? Or are they just small groups?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

historical ninja were the muscle arm of a couple anarcho-syndicalist communes

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Being a shinobi/ninja is a thing you do. It doesn't define you as much as the way it's portrayed in western media. The metaphor I use it's like being an intelligence officer or a CIA agent or something. It could be a profession for sure but it wasn't, like, a way of life. In fact maybe the most famous ninja, Hattori Hanzo, was samurai. The high end ninja/shinobi were definitely more like specialized mercenaries though for their skills in intelligence gathering and asymmetrical warfare.

They tended to organize as "ikki" or collectives. So the Iga Ikki and Koga Ikki are particularly famous, in Japan.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 19, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

In fact maybe the most famous ninja, Hattori Hanzo, was samurai.

I mean, if he were actually good at being a ninja, we wouldn't know his name :ninja:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, if he were actually good at being a ninja, we wouldn't know his name :ninja:

Well he was a famous samurai! But also ninja because of his skills for intelligence gathering and clandestine work. It's a fluid label.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

like in naruto

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

shame on an IGA posted:

So historically ninjas were even loving cooler than they're shown to be in television and film? :aaa:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

"Historical ninja" seems like it's a very ambiguous topic with a lot of active research trying to pry apart what is remotely credible and what is myth.

I mean even thread fave steve turnbull confessed as much, I came away from his last book on it suspecting even nominally noncontroversial ninja stuff is probably bullshit (even the free sample section contains a lot of good discussion about it)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The historical ones were most certainly good at blending in with the locals in various provinces, by picking up on slight differences in dialect/slang, the way people wear their hair in this province, etc.

I believe they also joined opposing armies.

Both to gather intel and (I believe in one or two instances) start fires inside the opponent’s castle/lines. Like at night, to cause chaos just prior to a general attack.

e: I wanted to say also good at disguising themselves as a traveling priest or similar. A sight commonly seen on the roads.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 20, 2024

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the only thing you need to know about ninjas is that one of them hid in a toilet and stabbed a dude up the arse when he sat down to take a poo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, it’s true.

Hid in the poo poo for quite a while too, I recall.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would not hide in the toilet to stab a guy up the arse. Just stab him the normal way IMO.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

what if your target was constipated. how many days in hiding....

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

withak posted:

I would not hide in the toilet to stab a guy up the arse. Just stab him the normal way IMO.

u probably dont want to know how to channel ur ki into a hadouken either

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

withak posted:

And that's why they never responded to the application to Ninja School you made when you were 9 :colbert:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Oh no the Shinobyman got into my rear end from the toilet!

murder you're family

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God Hole posted:

Oh no the Shinobyman got into my rear end from the toilet!

murder you're family

I hate it when I get Shinobi'd in the toilet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope we get some Fuji in the last episode.

When they show Mariko with her yari, I couldn't help but think of Sister Friede, but I think that's just because that shot of a woman holding a spear has been used a lot. Though I wonder if she and Ochiba would be considered Onnamusha, we see them practicing and are clearly proficient with the naginatas. Thought thats moot now.

Though once they blew the door, whats stopping them from killing Blackthorne and Yabu and the rest? Clearly the orders were to take Mariko alive, not kill her, though what about the rest? Were they told not to kill Blackthorne or the ladies, as that would drat Ishido's position even more, that an entire guest party was murdered by Shinobi while they were under his protection? The other Daimiyo are fully aware that they're prisoners as much as anyone, and now they see he's just a full on tyrant, having nobles murdered at a whim.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I hope we get some Fuji in the last episode.

When they show Mariko with her yari, I couldn't help but think of Sister Friede, but I think that's just because that shot of a woman holding a spear has been used a lot. Though I wonder if she and Ochiba would be considered Onnamusha, we see them practicing and are clearly proficient with the naginatas. Thought thats moot now.

Though once they blew the door, whats stopping them from killing Blackthorne and Yabu and the rest? Clearly the orders were to take Mariko alive, not kill her, though what about the rest? Were they told not to kill Blackthorne or the ladies, as that would drat Ishido's position even more, that an entire guest party was murdered by Shinobi while they were under his protection? The other Daimiyo are fully aware that they're prisoners as much as anyone, and now they see he's just a full on tyrant, having nobles murdered at a whim.

It's already a huge disaster they killed Mariko. I get the impression Ishido would get murdered by a mob of his own people if he killed everyone in that room.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Right now they have the barest shred of legitimacy left for Ishido to hide behind; they genuinely did not want to kill Mariko, they made it very obvious they were gonna blow up the door, she stood her own self in front of it and they had no way of stopping her. It's a tremendous bloody nose in the PR department but at least officially, it can be a tragic accident if you want it to be. But only if they don't kill the others.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
they probably all ran off once they saw they killed mariko. no point in hanging out when the alarm has been sounded and the person they were trying to capture alive is very dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Hirsute posted:

I once had some silk boxers and they felt really good. Distractingly good.