Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://x.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1782479467283132602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shamefully, greatness in the katan is not, in fact, allowed in the United States.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, of all the ways for Shogun to end...

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Buntaro does a pole vault triple flip over the wall and stops Blackthorne's laser eye blast from accidentally hitting Mariko. Buntaro winks, "You've got some moves, Barbarian," Buntaro says, "Where you from?"

"Queens," Blackthorne says, "She is wise."

Buntaro grunts, and says, "Brooklyn!" for some reason before igniting a giant bottle rocket strapped to his back and flies away.

They fly now?

They FLY now?

They fly now.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

nine-gear crow posted:

Wow, of all the ways for Shogun to end...

Shogun concludes with a true surprise ending, every prominent character arrested by modern Japanese police as the battle of sekigahara is about to commence and charged for their various crimes over the preceding months (murder, etc) a la Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I know events from 400 years ago aren't a spoiler but I think it's so funny how everyone keeps mentioning Sekigahara as if its not A Big Deal

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Tainted by the shame
I offer my repentance
Explosion jutsu

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah there have been several posts where it's pretty obvious people are looking for attention at how smart they are for knowing the historical basis for the book. Such a weak flex lmao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
speaking of Sekigahara though, it seems pretty likely that we're going to get an ending similar to the book and no "epic battle" scene, which I think is for the best to be honest. I'm mostly curious to see how they do the whole "Toranaga was pulling all the strings" reveal since it was an internal monologue in the book and that's potentially harder to pull off on TV.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was Mariko’s scene with the naginata in the 1980 show?

I can’t remember it at all.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I had a dream last night I was watching the final episode, and it takes place in the modern day with a descendent of Toranaga dealing with bullying at school, so he looks into the history of Sekigahara to learn what to do, told as flashbacks.

Hopefully this show doesn't Star Trek Enterprise the finale like my dumb brain did.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15T8xzKqWw4

This is the example I was using of "oh, I'm glad they DIDN'T do this", but this is probably like the move-perfect way you'd use a naginata against a crowd of enemies like Mariko was facing.

Oh thank goodness some sound editor inserted the Wilhelm Scream for one of the dudes getting brutally impaled.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think it's anything exceptional but I got a little interested in reading the book written by the current tokugawa clan head (the edo inheritance by tokugawa tsunenari) but going off the bonkers prices I guess it's out of print

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think it's anything exceptional but I got a little interested in reading the book written by the current tokugawa clan head (the edo inheritance by tokugawa tsunenari) but going off the bonkers prices I guess it's out of print

Pretty easy to grab the pdf off libgen

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

he's actually not the head anymore, his son Iehiro took over in 2023. Still wild that their family keeps track of all that, though. I've been meaning to read his book though too. A lot of the scholarly opinions is it's not anything groundbreaking, but I'd still love to see if there are any family vignettes in there. His book was printed in English but I've had a hard time finding a copy too.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 23, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
90 minutes?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jamwad Hilder posted:

speaking of Sekigahara though, it seems pretty likely that we're going to get an ending similar to the book and no "epic battle" scene, which I think is for the best to be honest.

There were shots of a big clash of armies used several times in advertising, so we're at least getting something. but it might just be a masters of the air d-day situation where the entirety of it was used in the adverts. i think at least we're gonna see blackthorne splatter some dudes with his cannons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Blackthorne gets ready for battle but gets conked on the head at the very start and gets knocked out. The episode is Yabu describing to him what happened while he was knocked out, but Blackthorne doesn't fully understand him so it's just a bunch of gibberish flashbacks with only half the information.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Lmao the hour of silence while everyone watches it immediately

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
blue balls on a big battle scene

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think that was a perfect finale, but still good enough to end things on a very very satisfactory note unless you were hoping for a giant samurai battle or blackthorne pasting guys with his cannons lol. This show was wildly better than it had any right to be.

Some random thoughts:

I feel like leading with old blackthorne in england confirms my show long suspicion these MFs were trolling book readers all along. I respect it.

The ending scene I missed the most was Fuji and Toranaga negotiating her death. It was nice of them to pull that punch I guess but I think it's a little more true to her character and the themes as it goes down in the book.

I guess my main problem with this ep in a vacuum is blackthorne's big seppuku scene with the yell acting unfortunately did not quite work. It ran up against the limits of cosmo jarvis probably. The show wide decisions with him also compounded into that scene and it didn't quite succeed for me

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
How does it feel to shape the wind to your will?

I don't control the wind. I only study it

It is both a great and terrible thing that this is only 10 episodes with no chance for someone trying to milk the material for pointless sequels. I wish there was more but there isn't.....and I will remember it fondly while it remains untainted for all time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought the ending was good. The show was very good, but I felt like it lost some steam and the last few episodes weren't quite as strong as the first half. Might be worth binging it all at some point and seeing if it feels better without waiting a week between each episode.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The back half definitely lost steam but on the other hand episode 9 was the best one. I'm willing to forgive a lot for episode 9, which I feel like might be borderline perfect

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really do disagree with the criticisms on Jarvis’s acting. Of course we’re free to disagree but I as someone who hasn’t read the book or had any prior context to this was fully enthralled and found the cast quite remarkable.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I thought the ending was good. The show was very good, but I felt like it lost some steam and the last few episodes weren't quite as strong as the first half. Might be worth binging it all at some point and seeing if it feels better without waiting a week between each episode.

I felt that 6 and 7 could have been re-sequenced to serve their purpose better. It felt very disjointed at times though 8 through 10 I thought was a solid ending. They kept it focused on the characters, their motivations, and their relationships with each other rather than succumbing to big battle scene temptation.

soggybagel posted:

I really do disagree with the criticisms on Jarvis’s acting. Of course we’re free to disagree but I as someone who hasn’t read the book or had any prior context to this was fully enthralled and found the cast quite remarkable.

I don't think he was horrible but it felt hammy at times. He is supposed to be the fish out of water, I get it, but some scenes felt forced. Like when he got angry the gardener died and yelled at his staff.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Episode 7 suffers even more as the clear worst one by far with show wide hindsight because both the time spent developing toranaga's brother and the subplot with kiku's owner establishing the yoshiwara district don't really end up achieving much. That time could have been very productively used on other things

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Episode 7 suffers even more as the clear worst one by far with show wide hindsight because both the time spent developing toranaga's brother and the subplot with kiku's owner establishing the yoshiwara district don't really end up achieving much. That time could have been very productively used on other things

Unless they’re setups for season 2… :ninja:

There will be no season 2, God willing

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Toranaga's brother, though even way less substantial of a character in the book, has a pretty darkly funny death I was assuming they would include if they were going to not only have him but expand him, but weirdly nah. I guess it would have been hard to fit for a few reasons.

Toranaga in his ending scheming monologue implies he's going to manipulate him into proposing to ochiba, knowing that ochiba will have him ordered to commit suicide in response :owned:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ballz posted:

Unless they’re setups for season 2… :ninja:

There will be no season 2, God willing

I will commit seppuku in protest

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Good ending, very good series. If I had a complaint, it was that the ending puts too much emphasis on Ochiba's decision , which feels a bit un-earned

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Shogun - Have A Nice Death

Solid finale. I wasn't awestruck, but it landed fine. 9/10 series and the best miniseries since Chernobyl

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A pretty solid ending here, and it's interesting to see conclusively that Toranaga is absolutely as much of a scheming rear end in a top hat as anyone else on the Council (particularly Ishido) with how he's punishing the hell out of a village that he absolutely knows didn't do anything wrong just to keep up appearances and make it seem like he wasn't involved in the ship burning. What happens to Mariko is plenty schemey as well, but it's at least somewhat justifiable in that she was a willing participant in the plan and her sacrifice leads to a major win for him. Meanwhile he's killing a handful of villagers and oppressing others just to make very minor spycraft gains. He also fooled me into thinking he didn't actually want to be Shogun.

Overall the show did a drat fine job of portraying an interesting historical fiction story on TV, and I hope this opens up the door for more similar shows to come out down the line since lord knows there's heaps of historical fiction out there that hasn't really gotten its due. And I think taking that route is more likely to work well than trying to adapt straight-up history (though as Chernobyl showed adapting history can work too, as long as you don't try to go absolutely 1:1 with matching every little thing).

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
show gone

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

I was a little taken out of the show when Fuji did the backwards somersault to lop off Ishido's head, I thought she was burned pretty badly?

Still, 9.5/10 for me on the series, and I hope they do a Steelbox release, even though I guess that's unlikely.

It's going to be a long wait for Andor.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anjin was Salieri, Toranaga was Mozart.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blackthorne comes over to shoo everyone away now.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
My fav part of that whole episode was the 3 seconds of Fuji smiling at him for just being a cool guy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God what a wonderful ending to a wonderful show. I'm glad it's a one-and-done because it'll live forever as a cherished memory, and that final shot of the back of Toranaga was :discourse: - but also if they wanna go ahead and make the rest of the Asian Saga I'm down for that too!

So many great moments, the sheer relief washing over Toranaga when he read Ochiba's letter and grasped that he'd won, and saw the whole future mapped out for him as he'd planned for so long ("studying the wind"), and I loved that they replaced the internal monologue from the book where he reveals his actions and thinking by having him tell Yabu most (but not all!) of it knowing that Yabu was going to be dead in a couple of minutes. Yabu's reaction to his sentence was great too, putting his money where his mouth was by wanting a weird death, not giving a poo poo what happens to his body afterwards (Yabu and Frank Reynolds, brothers-in-spirit) and that fierce grin he gave Toranaga after he stabbed himself in the belly. The scenes between Fuji and Blackthorne were lovely too, especially the final one, and I love the earlier shot of them sitting together and the negative space where Mariko would normally be.

God, what a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A fun ending to the show. A shame that Yabu had to die, he was on of my favorite characters. And while that does seem like a good place to end it, it also feels like the story is at a midpoint. I guess we don't really need that because Toronaga already told us what will happen, but I think there will be people clamoring for a season 2, not knowing that there isn't anything to base a season 2 off of.