Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

nine-gear crow posted:

lol Yabu's death poem was basically "gently caress my life. God drat it. poo poo."

I really appreciate that the capstone of the episode and the season was Toranaga just dropping his guard completely to Yabushige and letting him know that even though he's got good intentions, he is in fact just as big of a bastard as everyone else and Yabu just being quietly impressed with what a motherfucker he is. They were great foils to eachother, both being scheming douchebags but one lived loud and was playing it by ear, and the other kept his mouth shut and had decades-long plans, so each gets the end they strove for.

Yeah, i think it's a lot better context than the ending paragraph of the book. Toranaga explaining himself to someone he's about to kill is exactly him, and works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's hilarious that Yabu was all "her poem sucked, why would you write about a leafless branch when it is currently spring?" And then his poem is just "I hope a dog eats me"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It's hilarious that Yabu was all "her poem sucked, why would you write about a leafless branch when it is currently spring?" And then his poem is just "I hope a dog eats me"

Yabu is just such a beautiful portrait of "Guy Who Does Not, In Fact, Have This poo poo". :allears:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

And he finally died on a cliff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I also appreciate that at the end of the show we got Blackthorne graduating from "the Japans" all the way up to "the Japan-ees" :allears:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

An interesting production I'd like to see is more of the "Asian Saga" done with many of the same cast members and the same producers. Is there any other production that has done something like this?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
American Horror Story is more or less like this. Same creative team and a rotating cast of actors who pop back up sometimes as the same characters and as a new characters.

I think in this case you might run more afoul of later books not always focusing on Japan necessarily. The next book chronologically that more or less actually kicks off the main through-line of the "Asian Saga" is about Hong Kong. And with their faithfulness, I'm sure they would target actors from mainland China and Hong Kong next time. I've not read Tai-Pan, so I'm not sure there's a role for Tony Leung, but he seems like he might be of the same caliber for that type of role in a second season.

As far as bringing this cast back, I could see this potentially working for some of the later books though that return to Japan.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

mcmagic posted:

So are we ever clear on why it's implied that Ochiba hates Toranaga so much?

So in the book at least, it is explicitly stated that Ochiba went and hosed some random peasant guy to get pregnant and present the child as the Taiko's since he shot blanks. Toranaga found her in the woods right after, and it's unclear from Ochiba's perspective if Toranaga knew what she was up to, but a lot of her enmity towards Toranaga seems to come from the danger of him being the only one who knows her secret, so she wants him dead to make sure the heir's legitimacy never gets questioned.

Also, the show was more ambiguous but in the book she's as astute a student of the wind as Toranaga, and her betraying Ishido by not allowing him to carry the heir's banner stems from her seeing that Toranaga is going to be a stronger ally for her and her son, rather than some loyalty to Mariko. Doesn't quite work out though, as others have pointed out.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Episode 7 suffers even more as the clear worst one by far with show wide hindsight because both the time spent developing toranaga's brother and the subplot with kiku's owner establishing the yoshiwara district don't really end up achieving much. That time could have been very productively used on other things

I don't want to come across as Mr. Show Defender as I do agree things definitely slowed down to an extent that I think hurt the overall flow from episode 6-8 but I really liked the slight side plot of establishing a new district by Gin. Her scene with Toranaga I felt helped further expand Toranaga as a character. It felt like they were giving you a look into how he deals with others who aren't just his direct contacts in higher power. I won't disagree the brother subplot felt a bit light but Gin and Kiku, I really dug.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

snoremac posted:

I wouldn't mind an effortpost on how exactly Mariko swung Ochiba to Toranaga's side and how Yabu's betrayal plays into this.

Yabu's betrayal is the backdrop necessary for everything.

Think back to the start of the show:
Toranaga and the Taiko discuss what if the Taiko appointed Toranaga as regent. Toranaga, smartly, says that being appointed as regent was a surefire way of getting all his enemies to unite against him. Hence the council of regents.
Of course, the council itself wasn't enought: Ishido is able to manipulate the council against Toranaga precisely by claiming that Toranaga, as the most powerful regent, was seeking to keep power for himself. That is how he gets the other regents on his side.
Ishido even uses the threat of Toranaga to take hostages: he argues that Toranaga is intent on killing the heir, hence everyone needs to be close by for protection.

So Yabu's betrayal is about convincing everyone in the council that Toranaga is defeated. He is so defeated that one of his biggest vassals feels confident enough to go before Ishido and offer his services, and later on even take on the kidnapping of Mariko. Because if Ishido is doing all of this against a clearly defeated foe, maybe Ishido is the one with the designs on power and taking over from the heir and all that jazz.

Toranaga goes from the big bad wolf at the door to the poor, frail, defeated lord facing great injustice

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Trudis posted:

So in the book at least, it is explicitly stated that Ochiba went and hosed some random peasant guy to get pregnant and present the child as the Taiko's since he shot blanks. Toranaga found her in the woods right after, and it's unclear from Ochiba's perspective if Toranaga knew what she was up to, but a lot of her enmity towards Toranaga seems to come from the danger of him being the only one who knows her secret, so she wants him dead to make sure the heir's legitimacy never gets questioned.

Also, the show was more ambiguous but in the book she's as astute a student of the wind as Toranaga, and her betraying Ishido by not allowing him to carry the heir's banner stems from her seeing that Toranaga is going to be a stronger ally for her and her son, rather than some loyalty to Mariko. Doesn't quite work out though, as others have pointed out.

I think that Ochiba also saw that Ishido was a poo poo leader/idiot whe he completely hosed up every interaction with Mariko, plus his dipshits killed her childhood friend. Ochiba saw that the Regents were conflicted, corrupted, or an actor :v: I think that she saw the writing on the wall - get on Toranaga's good side now, or be under his thumb/sword later

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vampire Panties posted:

I think that Ochiba also saw that Ishido was a poo poo leader/idiot whe he completely hosed up every interaction with Mariko, plus his dipshits killed her childhood friend. Ochiba saw that the Regents were conflicted, corrupted, or an actor :v: I think that she saw the writing on the wall - get on Toranaga's good side now, or be under his thumb/sword later

Yeah, Ochiba was definitely like "I can use this guy for all he's worth :smug:... Oh poo poo, no I can't :stonk:"

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Teek posted:

Can't wait for Shogun 2: Shogun Harder.

Enjoyed the show over all, but in hindsight, it did seem to be more plotted like there was a season 2. Side events and characters that somewhat tied in to the show's themes, but also felt a bit perfunctory in the totality.

I wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 part miniseries covering the battle of Sekigahara, with the Shogun cast in reduced roles, and an ensemble of new characters we follow through the event. Battle Epics are cool. We don't get enough of them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Started watching this, since I was waiting for it to end so I could binge it. The cinematography & costumes are incredible!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Babe Magnet posted:

It also dawned on me during the credits that he tossed the necklace into the sea. he was only dreaming of growing old in england, my man's never leaving that island

This is made more clear during his seppuku-time with Toranaga. He looks to the side and hears a harsh wind blowing, and it flashes to his old man face, and then he (with difficulty) turns his head back, 'giving up' the idea of living to a ripe old age, and committing himself to this sacrifice.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

mcmagic posted:

So are we ever clear on why it's implied that Ochiba hates Toranaga so much?

Well I mean, her tiny child is the rightful heir and the other dude wants to be shogun. Historically it played out pretty much as you'd expect.

edit: welp this was covered on a page I didn't see

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 23, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Show rocked. Slightly edged out by Fargo for me as the best tv of the year, but I do think it's more of an accomplishment. Hard to balance good storytelling with history and foreign world's in historical drama's, but this show does it beautifully.

Story tell's a large scale event, but never loses it's focus on it's core cast - and they're all so entertaining and well fleshed out.

Hope it leads to more shows like it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Out of the whole show the one big mystery for me is, what exactly was the plan for that bird that Anjin left to air dry? lol that British Cuisine is so loving bad that it killed people without eating it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What a great show this was. I think the only way I can get a similar fix after this is to rewatch Rome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been rewatching Deadwood pretty much because it's the only other show I could think of with such incredible attention to sets and costumes and also because it's a loving amazing show (also like Shogun!)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So I loved this show but also know gently caress all about Japanese history. Is there a decent source other than Wikipedia to read up on the basics of this period?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Out of the whole show the one big mystery for me is, what exactly was the plan for that bird that Anjin left to air dry? lol that British Cuisine is so loving bad that it killed people without eating it

Americans do it too: https://www.gundogmag.com/editorial/why-you-should-age-game-birds/462439

e: Goons too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...t#post445515802

Mantle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 23, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I find there are not really as many great books about the sengoku period in english as anyone might hope but here are some starters.

Steven turnbull has written a gently caress ton of short books about all kinds of medieval japan military history topics, here's a survey one to start but see if any of his others interest you more https://www.amazon.com/War-Japan-1467-1615-Essential-Histories/dp/1472851188/
This is just a random recommendo I read on a whim but this is a decent longer book that tells the sengoku story through the lens of the three unifiers https://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-Jidai-Nobunaga-Hideyoshi-Ieyasu-ebook/dp/B078X3MVBL/
Or just read an actual university level history book, this one starts with the lead up to sekigahara and goes up to the modern day https://www.amazon.com/Making-Modern-Japan-Marius-Jansen/dp/0674009916/

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

‘A History of Japan’ by Richard Mason gives a broad overview and covers a lot of cultural history so it isn’t just a list of battles and big names.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What's even better is in the book, Yabu's death poem and seppuku were considered perfection by those that witnessed them. People in his family still honored him for both by the time of the last book of the series, 400 years later.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cojawfee posted:

Here we thought all along he was Mac playing both sides so he always comes out on top, when in the reality he was actually Frank.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay finished the last episode. This mini-series was awesome as gently caress. So amazing, and I want to read the book now. I am sad this show is over now, I badly want more.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty good finale to a pretty good series overall. The finale and ladies of the willow world were probably the best two episodes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
gosh what a lovely finale. Blackthorne and Fuji consigning the remains of their loved ones to the sea -- incredible. Japan is an island, so really neither of them will ever be too far away. but they can move on, and it's really affecting to see them do so, in their own ways.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I hope someone 2007s that ending.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The reveal that the spy in the village spoke English and Blackthorne's reaction to it was pretty fantastic.

Solid ending. Good show. Episodes 7 and 8 were a little weak compared to the rest but I am satisfied with the show as a whole.

Back half could have used more Fuji-sama, but at least we got a few great moments in the last episode.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Quinton posted:

Back half could have used more Fuji-sama, but at least we got a few great moments in the last episode.

We always have the "I'm your huckleberry" scene though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Like the rabbit stew no one wanted, he was gonna make horrific British monstrosity with it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume that he had seen someone do it, but had no idea how to age it himself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mantle posted:

An interesting production I'd like to see is more of the "Asian Saga" done with many of the same cast members and the same producers. Is there any other production that has done something like this?

That was the original idea and part of the press release when FX announced Shogun 6- 7 years ago. Covid changed a lot and scared back the scope to just Shogun but the runaway success could loosen the purse strings to back to the idea.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

What a great fuckin show. Some legit feels that last episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Great show. I liked the sort of melancholy calmness of the last episode rather than a half hour of noise and quick cuts and digital blood splatter. I'm surprised episode 9 isn't getting more praise though, that was so tense from beginning to end and definitely my favorite one.

They had so many years to spend making this miniseries, I hope they don't try to crank out a season two in like 11 months or something. There's no way it could compare.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

My quick look at reaction videos and, my god, media literacy is dead.

Of course every single one is irked at no battle.

But also, they are confused about the flash-forwards, forgetting that the episode title is Dream of a Dream.

"Oh, Blackthorne converted to Catholicism?!" When they see him holding the rosary/cross. Yeesh.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

My quick look at reaction videos and, my god, media literacy is dead.

Of course every single one is irked at no battle.

But also, they are confused about the flash-forwards, forgetting that the episode title is Dream of a Dream.

"Oh, Blackthorne converted to Catholicism?!" When they see him holding the rosary/cross. Yeesh.

I don't usually watch reaction videos other than like 3 people. But i watched a guy out of curiosity today and even at the finale episode he said something about mariko and the spy learning english from the portuguese. I turned it off immediately.

I might miss a few things here and there, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Great ride from beginning to end although it might just be the worst thread title of all time since it was nothing but politics driving the plot.