Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

an alternative to more of the other Asian Saga books would be doing other fictionalised accounts of Japanese history. Tell the Taiko's story and you could potentially keep some of the same actors around

(don't do this though, it's perfect as a one shot)
(but please do it i want more)
(no but yes but no but yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

With a title like Shogun you could make like ten seasons, Fargo-style.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Is there a world where we could anticipate a King Rat adaptation? I liked the story but I think Americans being in a Japanese POW camp might be a jar best left sealed for modern audiences.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Prequel series following Toronaga and Yabu samuraiing their way around Korea.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Toronaga wasn't in Korea and a tv show about the samurai invading another country and commiting war crimes there is probably not a good idea for a lot of reasons

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They wouldn’t be the good guys.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I have absolutely no trust for an English language adaptation of the Japanese invasion of Korea.

If you do want to see some, go watch Kingdom where they sic a bunch of zombies on the Japanese invaders

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Pachinko is another great, recent show that might be of interest to people and also features Anna Sawai in a small role. It's about several generations of a Korean family who emigrated to Japan and the difficulties they face over time. It is also an adaptation of a book and although I do prefer the book's telling of the story, the show is an absolutely gorgeous period piece.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's in a different country/nation obviously, but I would love to see the creative team behind this show adapt Taipan. Especially since, if I remember right, Clavell himself didn't grasp for the first book at least that Taipan as an expression of respect could actually be read as the locals making fun of the main character directly to his face with a little in-joke only they got?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Pachinko is another great, recent show that might be of interest to people and also features Anna Sawai in a small role. It's about several generations of a Korean family who emigrated to Japan and the difficulties they face over time. It is also an adaptation of a book and although I do prefer the book's telling of the story, the show is an absolutely gorgeous period piece.
I was just thinking about Pachinko! The period parts of it are great. I totally didn’t realize Anna Sawai was in it. To be honest she just looks totally different in Shogun vs. outside of it, even in, like, press interviews.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Vegetable posted:

I was just thinking about Pachinko! The period parts of it are great. I totally didn’t realize Anna Sawai was in it. To be honest she just looks totally different in Shogun vs. outside of it, even in, like, press interviews.

Yup I didn't realise it at all until I looked up Anna Sawai's imdb and even then it was really hard to pair the characters as portrayed by the same person.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This was a show good enough to make me check out whatever the creators do next. If the same crew tackled another historical saga, I'm on board. I don't think you can do a second season of this particular story, it's perfectly self contained. But I would trust this gang to adapt another series, I hope they do, and I'm watching whatever they do next.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

a couple other great moments from the first episode:
Yabu facing his death with hesitation and a very different look back over his shoulder at the Anjin than the one he later gives Toranaga. Also the conversation about his obsession with the moment of death and how a man faces it after boiling that dude alive.
The unspoken conversation in the first meeting between Mariko and Toranaga now clearly being "Help me out and I promise you it will at some point involve your death"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Sorbus posted:

Gaijin was a problematic book but I thought it had good suspense and scheming.

But yeah that one main thing kind of ruins the rest also

whats the plot of the book?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm very interested in what Hiroyuki Sanada might produce next. In the podcast for the final episode he sounded pretty excited about the new possibilities producing opened up for the future.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm very interested in what Hiroyuki Sanada might produce next. In the podcast for the final episode he sounded pretty excited about the new possibilities producing opened up for the future.

drat, didn't realise there was an official podcast. Is it good enough to be worth going back and listening to now the series is done?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Westerners wanting to expoit Japan, Samurai class wanting not to go extinct, cutthroat businesses being nasty to each other

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tankbuster posted:

Very broadly it's about the coming end of the Shogunate started by Toranaga in Shogun, with the Emperor potentially about to be restored to "power" (still mostly symbolic), as well as efforts to remove all foreigners from the country. The plot largely covers the differing efforts of activists to achieve their goals, from outright attacks to sabotage/arson and spycraft, as well as those trying to retain or improve their positions (including one of Toranaga's descendants). It brings together descendants of characters from both Shogun and Taipan, with the guy who is supposed to be the next "Taipan" rankling under his mother's control of their business empire because he's not yet old enough to take over, and his relationship with a French woman and her relationship with one of his family's big rivals.

I remember enjoying it well enough, but it didn't grip me in the way that Shogun and Taipan did, or even Noble House or Whirlwind which are both good reads but not quite on the same level as the more historic ones. King Rat is its own thing entirely, and stands pretty much alone.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

If you win, anything is possible.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

stev posted:

drat, didn't realise there was an official podcast. Is it good enough to be worth going back and listening to now the series is done?

Absolutely, it fills in a lot of extra historical details and has short interviews with cast and production.

It's all on youtube as well as whatever podcast apps you use: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIDyzBpnfjqnotNeH1fcGvu6K_BfpjBcN

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Pattonesque posted:

you know who else was pretty great was Alvaro. Interesting how they just made him a straightforwardly decent dude. poor guy was heartbroken telling Blackthorne about Mariko's deal at the docks.

???

He was going to kill Blackthorne. He told him this openly. He was heartbroken having to let him live

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Justin Credible posted:

???

He was going to kill Blackthorne. He told him this openly. He was heartbroken having to let him live

Yeah, all the Jesuit dudes were sacks of poo poo to various degrees. Turns out being a religious wacko sucks!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
he was heartbroken about Marikos death

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jerusalem posted:

It's in a different country/nation obviously, but I would love to see the creative team behind this show adapt Taipan. Especially since, if I remember right, Clavell himself didn't grasp for the first book at least that Taipan as an expression of respect could actually be read as the locals making fun of the main character directly to his face with a little in-joke only they got?

In an interview after the finale aired the showrunners have said if they decide to do another show and FX gives then the ok to, they'd want to do Taipan. And you're right it comes up in The Great House that Taipan does mean Head of the House but more accurately means Head of the poo poo House and was a title given to the guy who cleans outhouses at brothels.

King Rat would be an excellent book to adapt as well. There's a good movie adaptation but it's from the 60s so it excises the trans character and the main characters conflicted feelings for her. But keeps the latent attraction between Marlowe(Clavell) and the King Rat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

he was a decent dude for a jesuit, he'd rather have converted blackthorne and been friends, but was fully willing to stand by and let him die by the order of his superiors. he was touched by how deeply mariko felt for him, but in the patronising way a true believer looks at a poor deluded heretic. there is a chance that if mariko had made the plea directly to him and it was not a deal struck between the jesuits and mariko/toranaga that he would have attempted to warn him and give him an opportunity to escape, leaving the rest to god, but not very likely and he wouldn't ever actively interfere to save him. the talk about "not my god, your god, just god" may have pulled him on side enough for a little more but, not much.

i feel like reading him in particular as a pure sack of poo poo jesuit rear end in a top hat is a dire misreading of the character, since the other jesuits are presented as wholly corrupt and financially motivated, while he is presented as a pious and hardworking true believer and busybody, always honest and trying to be a little helpful throughout.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The cannons were a big red herring all along.

Burns
May 10, 2008

https://youtu.be/PA98Z3css8M?si=zTdRHLNPnIJ5EjaD

Shogun 2 is such a great game and still holds up quite well. i love this video combining all of the faction intros. Its hilarious to me because the dialogue is essentially the same for each faction with just a bit of flavour.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, knowing what happens to the Erasmus from the start, it was kinda hilarious seeing newbie Goons getting all excited theorising about it and its cannons blowing the gently caress out of Ishido's castle, or sinking the Black Ship.

As for Alvito chat, I feel like this one was a genuinely decent guy, at least compared to the rest of them. The OG series one was much sterner and less sympathetic (but also a smoldering hot dude compared to this younger dweeb with his sad monk bald patch) but ultimately just as honourable in making sure Mariko's final wish was respected. In that version, the explosion blinds Blackthorne for a time so Alvito and the cardinal literally guide him out of Osaka to the waiting ship, and the captain of the Black Ship is killed because he refuses to let them allow Blackthorne to leave. Rodrigues gets the job in his place.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Sentinel Red posted:

The OG series one was much sterner and less sympathetic (but also a smoldering hot dude compared to this younger dweeb with his sad monk bald patch) but ultimately just as honourable in making sure Mariko's final wish was respected. In that version, the explosion blinds Blackthorne for a time so Alvito and the cardinal literally guide him out of Osaka to the waiting ship, and the captain of the Black Ship is killed because he refuses to let them allow Blackthorne to leave. Rodrigues gets the job in his place.

you gotta post a pic if you're going to say something like that

Burns
May 10, 2008

Know what, i really want to see a 2 and a half hour production with these same characters and actors actually doing Sekighagara in the style of the film Waterloo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

he was a decent dude for a jesuit, he'd rather have converted blackthorne and been friends, but was fully willing to stand by and let him die by the order of his superiors. he was touched by how deeply mariko felt for him, but in the patronising way a true believer looks at a poor deluded heretic. there is a chance that if mariko had made the plea directly to him and it was not a deal struck between the jesuits and mariko/toranaga that he would have attempted to warn him and give him an opportunity to escape, leaving the rest to god, but not very likely and he wouldn't ever actively interfere to save him. the talk about "not my god, your god, just god" may have pulled him on side enough for a little more but, not much.

i feel like reading him in particular as a pure sack of poo poo jesuit rear end in a top hat is a dire misreading of the character, since the other jesuits are presented as wholly corrupt and financially motivated, while he is presented as a pious and hardworking true believer and busybody, always honest and trying to be a little helpful throughout.

I might also be misreading it because I thought Ishido was gonna have Blackthorne killed on the way out of Osaka but the Church intervened on Mariko's request

also I read Alvaro as a little bit in love with Mariko. But I'm not totally sold on that interpretation

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pattonesque posted:

I might also be misreading it because I thought Ishido was gonna have Blackthorne killed on the way out of Osaka but the Church intervened on Mariko's request

also I read Alvaro as a little bit in love with Mariko. But I'm not totally sold on that interpretation

ishido doesnt care, the christian daimyo do because the church told them to

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Yeah they've got a stake set up to burn him heretic-style but Alvito nixes it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mauser posted:

you gotta post a pic if you're going to say something like that

Yeah, 80s Alvito is a dude who looks like a super villain who's pulling a fuckton of strings. Modern Alvito looks like an admin assistant who's out of his depth.

Also regarding Blackthorne's blindness in the 80s miniseries, I appreciate how they sort of pay homage to that by having Blackthorne just so broken with shock and grief that he spends the first half of the final episode just awkwardly stumbling around, doesn't look anyone in the face when talking to them or being spoken to, and when he does, it doesn't seem like he actually sees them at all. It left me wondering if he actually WAS blinded in this version too, but then there's a couple of shots from his POV and the answer is clearly no.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

As others have said Alvito is there to spread the faith rather than make money, and he sees Mariko as an important part of those plans. It was never going to make it into the show but I like the passage the book where another priest tips Alvito off that Blackthorne and Mariko are in love. He laments that his plans to make Mariko the first native abbess and to get a local more involved in church operations are potentially falling apart.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked the ending a lot. Some people call it an epilogue, and it kind of is, with the last episode being the real climax. Just and all around stellar show. I do find it funny that they took great pains to properly rename a character and everyone still calls him Yabu.

So is Shogun considered the best of Clavell's books or just the most famous?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I think it's the most famous by virtue of having been the best adapted of his novels.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Shogun was a monster even before the adaptation, selling 6 million copies before the original king series even aired.

His first four novels have been adapted;

King Rat- which launched George Segal's career and a few Oscar noms.
This was his first novel and Clavell said the success and stability it granted him was what finally started helping him recover from his trauma as a POW. He once said he never went anywhere without 2- 3 cans of sardines stashed on his person because he could never put the fear of deprivation behind him.

Tai Pan- got a pretty forgettable film adaptation in the 80s. Whole swathes of the film were changed since they needed approval from the CCP. The story is about the founding of Hong Kong and the British led opium trade that necessitated it.

Noble House- got a mini series in the 80s starring Pierce Brosnan and John Rhys-Davies. Supposed to be decent but dvd copies are hard to track down. Set in Hong Kong during the 60s, equal parts Mad Men and The Big Short with a splash of cold war espionage. Despite it mostly being written in the 70s covers a lot of factors that would dominate the world economy over the last 40 years.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2024

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Shogun and King Rat are Clavell's best books, imo. The others are here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Burns posted:

Know what, i really want to see a 2 and a half hour production with these same characters and actors actually doing Sekighagara in the style of the film Waterloo.

I recognised a couple of the same actors in the film "Sekigahara", like the guy who played Ishido played a rugged, trusty, Toshiro Mifune -type no nonsense right hand man to that movies "Ishido", and Toranaga's old advisor who committed seppuku was there too. But it wasn't a particularly good movie. It was ok, I'd say it portrayed the events as they happened pretty accurately to my "has read wikipedia articles concerning the events" conception. In the style of Waterloo? In terms of huge amount of extras capable of military drill? Well let's hope the CCP or North Korea recognise the value of that kind of movie industry. Too bad Waterloo was a flop.