Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

should be Temu Hardy in the Japans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm down for Shogun: I Now Super Enjoy Temu Hardy as a new thread title if the mods will it

no, it's a far better show than that stupid title makes it seem like, you just think it would make a good click, which it would. but here's what would make an ever better click, and still be accurate

fuji takes her tits out.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

no thanks

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Shogun - Fuji Oakley

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

that was just an idiotic drunk post made without thought, just continue talking on based on the ones we had before

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Shishkahuben posted:

When drawing the map in episode 2, Blackthorne says the earth is "round, like a fruit" to no reaction from Toranaga or anyone else. The Greeks knew the earth was round since forever, and the Indians too, but did Chinese and Japanese astronomers and mathematicians have comparable knowledge?

I'm curious if that particular claim might have gotten a "yeah no poo poo, where have you been?" or "well that's obvious nonsense, he's lying about the route he took" if that had been the big takeaway (under other circumstances, I mean - "your enemies are conspiring against you" was the more immediate concern)

In the 1980 miniseries, Blackthorne then explains that his map is like the skin of an orange laid flat. In the book he does the same, then nerds out about Mercator projections and cardinal directions. Not sure if the current show meant anything more than Blackthorne nervously explaining.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

McNally posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the 1980 miniseries? I remember that Ishido being rather round-faced.

In the 1980 show's portrayal of the escape from Osaka castle, Ishido is basically bumbling comic relief - dumpy, spluttering, baffled at the barbarian's yelling, hahaha, let them pass.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Hopefully Shogun is the blueprint for the Ghost of Tsushima Movie/Series Sony is doing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Hopefully Shogun is the blueprint for the Ghost of Tsushima Movie/Series Sony is doing.

I trust a firm like Sony to absolutely learn the wrongest possible lesson from Shogun's success as they do from literally everything else.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

I trust a firm like Sony to absolutely learn the wrongest possible lesson from Shogun's success as they do from literally everything else.

director 100
actors 150
set 200
cinematographer 50
costumes 350000000
writers 75

please help me budget my period piece is dying

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

roomtone posted:

fuji's actress is taking a supporting role into a star turn honestly

everywhere i look, it's just people praising her and noticing fuji in scenes where she isn't even the focus

Between this and Godzilla Minus One this has been a great couple of months for "Holy poo poo where has this actor been all this time- oh, right, Japan"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mordja posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks Toranaga's failson isn't long for this world, right?

He doesn't really make a particularly strong or good impression in the book either but based on his historical equivalent I think he has a lot more interesting potential that they could go into if they felt like there was time.

(Book/history spoilers) I always wondered how much clavell had gamed out how it was going to go for blackthorne after the events of the book to square with the way william adams sort of fades out of history, with naga barely tolerating him being a pretty ominous sign

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

No Mods No Masters posted:

He doesn't really make a particularly strong or good impression in the book either but based on his historical equivalent I think he has a lot more interesting potential that they could go into if they felt like there was time.

(Book/history spoilers) I always wondered how much clavell had gamed out how it was going to go for blackthorne after the events of the book to square with the way william adams sort of fades out of history, with naga barely tolerating him being a pretty ominous sign

but the historical character he is based on sort of was the failson. One of Toranaga's other sons that shows up later in the book, and as far as I can tell hasn't even been mentioned in the show at all, is the one who becomes the second Shogun of the Tokugawa dynasty, historically. Maybe they'll merge the characters for the show? It doesn't really matter I suppose since all of that is stuff that happens well after the show ends. The person Nagakado is based off of died at like 27 from wounds suffered at Sekigahara

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

but the historical character he is based on sort of was the failson. One of Toranaga's other sons that shows up later in the book, and as far as I can tell hasn't even been mentioned in the show at all, is the one who becomes the second Shogun of the Tokugawa dynasty, historically. Maybe they'll merge the characters for the show? It doesn't really matter I suppose since all of that is stuff that happens well after the show ends. The person Nagakado is based off of died at like 27 from wounds suffered at Sekigahara

Oh really? I kind of took as a matter of course he was the equivalent of hidetada (who ieyasu was also kind of pissed at for being a failson at various points). Well that's pretty boring honestly.

e: Ah, checking the book I think I completely forgot naga and sudara were different characters. Just my rustiness then

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

roomtone posted:

fuji just pulled a gun.....

that was very good. very good. there's nothing that can be said to that.

No one in the history of guns has drawn with such class.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Every Episode Yabu makes me forget he boiled a man alive and watched whatever that kink play Kiku was doing at the start. Man is a horrible monster but he’s just such a lovable idiot you just forgive the murder

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

M_Gargantua posted:

Every Episode Yabu makes me forget he boiled a man alive and watched whatever that kink play Kiku was doing at the start. Man is a horrible monster but he’s just such a lovable idiot you just forgive the murder

Seems like more of a murder/captial punishment, tomayto/tomahto deal. He's a lord and they are pretty big on executions as a punishment for pretty much anything.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

M_Gargantua posted:

I laughed at the notion that Yabu thought the sailor might suddenly speak Japanese at the moment of death. “drat! I waited forever and it was only screams and jibberish! What a waste of time!”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I laughed at the notion that Yabu thought the sailor might suddenly speak Japanese at the moment of death. “drat! I waited forever and it was only screams and jibberish! What a waste of time!”

Yabu is either an extremely intelligent idiot or an extremely stupid genius and I love him for it.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I was refreshing myself with passages from the book, and at least in one scene in the second half, Ishido is described as "tall, lean and autocratic".

From memory isn't book Toranaga the short and fat one

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm gonna have to take a look. I read the book as a teenager and remember picturing Toranaga as an athlete with post-retirement bloat. When I watched the 1980 show, I thought Mifune was great, but I still had a hard time getting over my 1,000 pages of Toranaga in my imagination.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I think Yabu's character in particular was the one Clavell was using to metaphor out his own personal journey of being a horrified POW and then a student of Japanese culture so this arc is by design

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

In the 1980 miniseries, Blackthorne then explains that his map is like the skin of an orange laid flat. In the book he does the same, then nerds out about Mercator projections and cardinal directions. Not sure if the current show meant anything more than Blackthorne nervously explaining.

Blackthorne: "The Earth is a 4 corner simultaneous 4 – day time cube, like this. When the Sun shines upon Earth, 2 – major Time points are created on opposite sides of Earth – known as England, which is here, and the Japans, which is here."

Toranaga: "..."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The globe is split up by lines of longitude and latitude. It is obvious where the lines of longitude line up, with home base being at the equator and it is also obvious where the lines of latitude line up, with the day resetting at the prime meridian, located over Greenwich, in Glorious Mother England.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XYZAB posted:

Blackthorne: "The Earth is a 4 corner simultaneous 4 – day time cube, like this. When the Sun shines upon Earth, 2 – major Time points are created on opposite sides of Earth – known as England, which is here, and the Japans, which is here."

Lmao

Mantle
May 15, 2004

XYZAB posted:

This is funny at a layer 1 level, but I feel it could be even more funny if I understood the second layer reference. What's this a reference to?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

This is funny at a layer 1 level, but I feel it could be even more funny if I understood the second layer reference. What's this a reference to?

Some insane person's insane theories

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

Some insane person's insane theories

The weird guy in high school who had printed out Dick Cheney photshop memes in a binder that he showed people during PE also brought up time cube. He refused to accept my theory of a 24 sided icositetragon earth that has 24 simultaneous days.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

From googling around it looks like at least one Chinese astronomer proposed a spherical earth but the idea never caught on.

It really was something how China got like 97 percent of the way there, multiple independent times over 1500 years. The prevailing concept was a square Earth rotating in a spherical volume. See, if you rotate a square plane, you'll trace out a circle, which is why the heavens must be a sphere. Somehow I feel like they overthought the problem.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who cares what shape the world is when China, Korea and Japan are essentially the whole world

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

XYZAB posted:

Meanwhile Yabu's in the background trying to keep up with the most gormless look on his face going "what the gently caress is a cube?"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sash! posted:

It really was something how China got like 97 percent of the way there, multiple independent times over 1500 years. The prevailing concept was a square Earth rotating in a spherical volume. See, if you rotate a square plane, you'll trace out a circle, which is why the heavens must be a sphere. Somehow I feel like they overthought the problem.

I think that might come down to a cycle in Chinese history similar to what Zhang He suffered.

Zhang He was a close friend to the Emperor and given a mandate to sail into the world to bring civilization to the barbarians. He sails his fleet, all the way to the Cape of Good Hope, bringing back large amounts of riches to China, picking up loads of topographical data and theories.

Before he can sail back out to test the theories, the court starts whispering into the Emperor's ear that Zhang He is more popular than the Emperor and will return to take the throne. The Emperor strips Zhange He of his fleet, banishes him from court, and suppresses almost all information about his journies.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

XYZAB posted:

Yabu stewed the wrong barbarian

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm not sure about outright fat, but he's definitely described as a bit plump. I much prefer the portrayal in the show, the actor projects an aura of charisma and control.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
toranaga has a belly, which is why his belly flop (not presented in show) is so absolutely devastating and no one must laugh at it

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Years ago I was listening to the DVD commentary to Octopussy, and there's a scene where Moneypenny is training a younger secretary, Penelope Smallbone, and the commentary pointed out that the actress is James Clavell's daughter. And sure enough, that's the same Michaela Clavell who is a producer on Shogun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

XYZAB posted:

Blackthorne: "When the object enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.
The Japans works the same way."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imagine four busho on the edge of a cliff...

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

"You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love hearing blackthorne say "the Japans"