Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This seems like a good show! My cousin had the book, so I might end up reading this between episodes, cause I can't wait for more.

Why did doofus samurai ever offer to end his whole line? I woulda thought plain ol seppuku would be enough repentance for speaking out of turn, without offering to kill his own baby too. (Although I suppose it's in character, the main data point we have about that guy is that he can't keep his mouth shut)

mystes posted:

Ninjas dressed in black are totally ahistorical so even though they were staple for a long time it's good if they change that for this show

It's a really good archetype, though, you can't get rid of it entirely. Stealthy figure all in black silently making his way through the palace, throws little metal stars with lethal edges, master of martial arts. It's a classic for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just finished the second episode. This show wields it's bilingual presentation awe-inspiringly well.

Although I have to say I didn't realize until the second episode that the "English" they were speaking is actually Portuguese, I thought the Portuguese priests were just talking to the Englishman in English. I finally got it when the priest is talking to Mariko and asking her if she gets more use out of her Latin or her Portuguese and I was like "'or her English,' right? You're talking in English... oh..."

Which then made the scene with the map in the sand better, because yeah, Japan is completely isolated from the rest of Europe. It's not like Portuguese merchants are going to tell them that there's even a place called England.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How does being a missionary to a place like that work, anyway? You show up on a boat, and you just start randomly talking to people like "hey, there's this dude called jesus and he loves you very much"? How does Christianity get a foothold there?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also, did 1600s Japan have any Joe Rogan-style health influencers who recommended drinking the resulting broth for its rejuvenative qualities?

I don't know why they don't simply get out of the pot, anyway. What are they gonna do, kill you?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

grobbo posted:

I don't think pirating/privateering is a distinction Japan would accept, particularly as they have no contact with the Protestant rulers and no reason to respect their behaviour.

I read Blackthorne differently there - I think he was genuinely trying to explain that he doesn't know how to train and drill troops or to teach battle tactics (which is not the same as blasting cannon from your ship, after all), but quickly realised that this would be a death sentence.

I dunno, that's kind of what Blackthorne's presence represents -- he's telling the Japanese that there's a bunch of other seafaring nations out there, and his country is at war with the Portuguese. I dunno how the letter of 1600s Japanese law works but he might be able to make that case to the lords, that he's just prosecuting his nation's wars. If they weren't already set on killing him for one reason or another, anyway.

And that was my read too. In fact, I was like "really? is that a good career move right now?" when he starts up with the simple sailor bit. Like obviously you don't need to tell him that, your position is precarious enough as it is. Don't wanna get boiled, do you?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Great episode except one thing made me squint

Mariko taking up a pole blade and killing three assailants with it

The fight scene was oddly subdued, I thought. Blackthorne and Mariko pick up the polearms and don't seem especially skilled or quick with them, just kinda slowly moving em around and slashing people to death. It kinda felt like they needed more rehearsal, like the actors had learned the basic movements in practice but hadn't worked with them enough to swing them fast enough for it to look real.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So hey, all those samurai who shaved a big patch on the top of their head? Please tell me this was because of a decree from some historical shogun who was going bald and really hated seeing all the young samurai with their thick black hair.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

My head canon is always going to be that the style was started by a cabal of aging, balding lords who got jealous of their hunkiest samurai and made everyone shave the top of their heads so that no one had any more hair than they did.

Why was Blackthorne's journal written in Portuguese? Wouldn't have he written in English (and then it would have been an impenetrable enigma to Mariko)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What the heck was Blackthorne doing with the pheasant? Hang it up til it rots... and then what, eat it?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

roomtone posted:

I always just assumed it was something elder officials instituted as a style because a lot of them would be naturally bald anyway and wanted to make it a mark of status rather than a sign of decline. Make the cool young samurai do it too. Even if they said otherwise, 'oh you know the helmet just gets too hot so i shave by choice'.

This will always be my headcanon. I asked about it last week and it's called chonmage and it was apparently the style at the time, but there is no evidence you can confront me with that can make me believe it didn't originate with some grouchy, balding old daimyo who was getting jealous of seeing the hot young samurai dudes with their thick black hair getting all the pillow time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So no one else thought that was a little much?

I couldn't believe the old guy actually went so far as to commit seppuku... just to sell Toranaga's surrender as genuine? The paper of signatures wouldn't be enough? And then the goal was to thoroughly, thoroughly convince his own generals that he was really surrendering?

Just...like, yknow, it kinda works in cartoons because the next scene is after the battle and everyone's like "haha good ol' Toranaga, you really fooled us!" but in real life, people are gonna sit there brooding and shaken for days after seeing their lord so determined to surrender that he lets his oldest friend kill himself in front of everyone. And then they're gonna, I dunno, commit seppuku themselves, or leave the camp, or at least their frame of mind is gonna be absolutely ruined by the time Toranaga says "ha ha, I fooled everyone, we're gonna attack!" because now they've spent days mentally preparing for their upcoming mandatory suicides. I mean, Buntaro was about to kill himself already, and Yabu did indeed choose that moment to abandon ship. I dunno, it just seemed a bit too over-the-top.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

snoremac posted:

I'm sure this will become clear but I'm curious what Yabu is going to do which will help Toranaga which Toranaga could not have just ordered him to do in the first place.

Well, this is kinda what I mean, right? Great job, you've convinced Yabu to abandon you. And now that Yabu has already mentally gone through the process of breaking his ties with you, is he going to be more or less likely to carry out your surprise orders versus if you'd just told him to do it in the first place?

It just seems like something that you do in a less heady sort of show, where you aren't really considering a full internal life and persona to all the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

cannot believe i watched that whole drat thing for that many hours and the goddamn aliens were just her father