Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Phenotype posted:

Why did doofus samurai ever offer to end his whole line?

Probably to keep Toranaga sympathetic to the audience. In the book he's the one who orders it, and also denies doofus samurai the right to take his own life and has him executed as a common criminal instead. Some line about how "you were born samurai by mistake and therefore so was your son."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

No Mods No Masters posted:

The show is set in 1600, it says so at the very beginning of the first episode. I think the book takes place over a few years leading up to sekigahara to make things a little more plausible

The book also takes place in 1600. Blackthorne shows up in late April, according to a log entry he makes at the very beginning of the book and he tells Father Domingo that it's May 1600 while imprisoned in Osaka.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

BoldFace posted:

How much time passes during episode 4? They said Blackthorne would be stuck at the village for six months. I didn't pay enough attention to notice if they showed seasons changing.

I think it's just a few days, maybe a week or two at most?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

counterfeitsaint posted:

Then what was the point of giving him a dead pheasant as a gift?

In the book it's clear that Toranaga knows Blackthorne isn't Buddhist and that he eats meat.

quote:

There he collected his falconers and three hawks and hunted for twenty ri. By noon he had bagged three pheasants, two large woodcock, a hare, and a brace of quail. He sent one pheasant and the hare to the Anjin-san the rest to the fortress. Some of his samurai were not Buddhists and he was tolerant of their eating habits.

McNally fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 19, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I was confused by the show having not read the book. We always hung our wild game but only for a day or two, only when it was cold, and only after gutting. Never to the point there was any rotting. Also wasn't it pheasant that he served at the dinner that everybody refused to eat but also the gardener took down the pheasant because it was rotting and got killed for it? I'm confused about that.

It was rabbit in the stew.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

No Mods No Masters posted:

In my memory of that scene in the book he is just kind of exulting at being lucky enough to survive, plus the ironic backstory of the swords, plus being bound even more closely to blackthorne and/or given such a perfect chance to manipulate him closer.

Yeah just a medieval "the lord should always have swords for honor" thing. I doubt it's even super historical honestly, though in the book there is also a lot more being worried about ninja attacks. That's shogun for you

I'm only half-remembering the book, but in James Clavell's Japan someone of Toranaga's position and stature almost certainly would have been carrying masterpiece heirloom swords. "This legendary swordsmith only made three swords, and I have one" sort of thing. Also in the book, Toranaga was actually angry about losing them to the point that Blackthorne, despite his limited Japanese, clearly understood that Toranaga was expressing "goddamnit I've lost my swords gently caress"

Edit: Found it

quote:

Toranaga was unable to speak, his chest grinding, his arms and legs raw with abrasions. He pointed. The fissure which had almost swallowed him now was just a narrow ditch in the soil. Northward the ditch yawned into a ravine again but it was not as wide as it once had been, nor as deep.

Blackthorne shrugged. "Karma."

Toranaga belched loudly, then hawked and spat and belched again. This helped his voice to work and a torrent of abuse poured over the ditch, his blunt fingers stabbed at it, and though Blackthorne could not understand all the words, Toranaga was clearly saying as a Japanese would, "The pox on the karma, the pox on the quake, the pox on the ditch—I've lost my swords and the pox on that!'

McNally fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 22, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's also worth noting that the iron was only folded about a dozen times, resulting in over a thousand layers, not folded a thousand times.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Goatse James Bond posted:

Really? Huh. Egg on my face then, swear to God my memory thought it was very clear on this

Maybe you're thinking of the 1980 miniseries? I remember that Ishido being rather round-faced.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

PostNouveau posted:

his nephew is a moron who's loyal to Yabu.

Who's his nephew? Because the one who's loyal to Yabu is Omi, who is Yabu's nephew.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

navy people didn't use swords that often, he comments on that

Naval people used swords all the time. It's called a boarding action.

Merchant seamen, on the other hand...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Jerusalem posted:

I think Ishido's plan was effectively a variation of the "lotta "bandits" around Osaka all of a sudden, eh?" strategy where everybody knows it is bullshit but decorum dictates you can't openly call it out. By having Mariko captured by Shinobi, he could claim it was a sign of the dangers outside the castle and the "unfortunate" necessity of insisting the remaining "guests" remain in the castle with a tripled guard for their "protection", probably blaming Toranaga for causing dissension that had emboldened "bandits".

Not a great plan, people can only take so much bullshit before things explode, and Ochiba had already seen that he had been expertly played into a corner - I strongly suspect that this idea was entirely his own and that she would have been against it for various reasons, not least of all the danger to Mariko who she does still appear to deeply care for. Instead everything goes wrong, mostly because Blackthorne happened to be in the room with her which gave an unexpected extra fighter for the shinobi to deal with, she dies anyway but this time not only in duty but also protecting the lives of her fellow "guests" which has completely hosed Ishido's standing and left him back even deeper in the same corner.

Also not a great plan because the shinobi attack happened inside the castle.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

kiimo posted:

please tell me there is some rando remake of Splash and we're not talking about the Tom Hanks / Darryl Hannah movie

No, they very much are.

Disney censored Daryl Hannah's butt when they first released Splash on Disney+ by CGI-ing longer hair, but did it very poorly so it just looked like she had a hairy rear end.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

nine-gear crow posted:

Dude was all over the 80s series on account of being played by John Rhys-Davies at the height of popularity and here he just kinda blips after episode 3.

Other way around, actually. Shogun was his first big role outside the UK and it's what got him cast in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I think it's the most famous by virtue of having been the best adapted of his novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I don't think it's really fair to call Toda Hiromatsu a poo poo tier minor lord.

e;fb