Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I remember watching the original series as a kid. So far the costuming, visuals and the production is excellent.

As a side, its nice to see what looks like a proper galleon (with "two castles") from the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Finally some good shots of the vqrious armors. Impressive work by the costuming staff.

Great episode.

Also the show really makes me want to play Shogun 2 Total War again.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like that Blackthorne is supposed to be like, conversational in Portuguese yet apparently knows the equivalent to terms like slatterns and trollops and buggery.

Need i remind you that he's a sailor? Like sailors are renown for their... diverse use of words.

Burns
May 10, 2008

About the cannon. Back in uni we had a class project about the Spanish Armada. I recall that the Spanish used larger or heavier cannon and thus a heavier shot on their warships. English cannon tended to use a smaller shot, but the cannon themsevles were longer barrels. English cannon tended to have more range and accuracy but generally had difficutly actually penetrating a Spanish ship at range. English cannon was good for destroying sails and rigging though.

Burns
May 10, 2008

What is Izu like IRL?

Burns
May 10, 2008

YaketySass posted:

Will any new iron cannon have to be folded over a thousand times?

For some reason i read that as ion cannon and really confused myself.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Having not read the book, is the Erasmus a Chekov's gun, or a dud?

Burns
May 10, 2008

My one compaint (and obviously i dont have a comparison) but it does feel like the show is stuck in this one butthole village and its environs whose name i cant even remember. Like, vary up the locations a bit more.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The contrast between colonization between Japan and the Phillipines is staggering. Can anyone fill me in on why Europan colonization wss so much more influential in the Phillipines?

Burns
May 10, 2008

drat good episode.

Burns
May 10, 2008

https://youtu.be/PA98Z3css8M?si=zTdRHLNPnIJ5EjaD

Shogun 2 is such a great game and still holds up quite well. i love this video combining all of the faction intros. Its hilarious to me because the dialogue is essentially the same for each faction with just a bit of flavour.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Know what, i really want to see a 2 and a half hour production with these same characters and actors actually doing Sekighagara in the style of the film Waterloo.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Flop or not Waterloo is still a great flick. We likely wont get 20k soviets but you dont really need that many dudes nowadays anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Mosfilm YouTube channel has the director's four film War and Peace cycle and the Battle of Borodino installment is even more impressive

Interesting. I will check it out.