Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciate that Torunaga's crest on his clothes and helmet is about as close to the real Tokugawa one as Cosmo Jarvis is to Tom Hardy

Also like Blackthorne being kind of a ruthless SOB, gives him more of a "I know I'm getting used here but I'm gonna play you at the same time" vibe. Like the way he dropped the info about the Portuguese base in Macau for maximum shock value.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

This is where I point to my Crazy Newspaper Clipping Wall with red string connecting "Bill Adama - contacts" to "William Adams/John Blackthorne - contacts??" (By which I mean to say it's a fun coincidence)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked the "don't let the white guy try natto" interlude

Like, cmon Mariko, dudes been living off boiled rope and albatross poo poo. You mean theres no weevils in this bowl? None at all? Itadaki-loving-masu.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Yeah I think it was a lot smarter to have Blackthorne know cannons than some fresh new musketry tactic as muskets were well understood in Japan at the time he came. Also it's a great scene.

As a fan of one Jas. Aubrey, Captain, RN I was pretty happy to see Blackthorne work out "Oh, right, accurate naval gunnery!" I have no idea if cannon circa 1600 would have been that accurate out to that range but I'm willing to forgive it.

Also, I don't remember if they've said precisely when Blackthorne left England , but I checked for William Adams, who sailed in 1598, so he could have seen a well-known play in London about tragic lovers. Not 100% sure about cursed kings though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

Based on dialogue in the episode I feel like the Portugese deliberately gave the Japanese older, shittier cannons/mortars. After all, with all the shady dealings they'd been up to in Japan's overseas holdings, why would they risk giving them weapons on parity with their own?

Oh, yeah, I meant more I don't know if the Dutch cannons off Blackthorne's ship would have been able to make the shots seen every time. Maybe they would, I have no sense one way or the other

Phenotype posted:

Why was Blackthorne's journal written in Portuguese? Wouldn't have he written in English (and then it would have been an impenetrable enigma to Mariko)

Good question, tbh. Was it just his journal, or was it the ship's rutter as well? (I had to look that up the first time it was mentioned, a rutter was kind of an early type of marine chart, with written directions from port to port instead of maps.) If the latter, I thought it was supposed to have been pilfered from the Portuguese, and that's what gave them the ability to sail through the Strait of Magellan

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tankbuster posted:

drat, they turned those messengers into chunky paste.

Nebara Jozen: Haha yeah well don't shoot the messenger
Nagakado: :doit:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Also a word for "payment for services that is a foodstuff"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

He was a traitor who did the betrayal but didn’t get away with it. The poster who likened it to “my name is Jenny Brutus” was on the money.

I kind of like the idea of Mariko using this analogy only for Blackthorne to go "Jenny who?" like a big ox, because his schooling was vocational and didn't include the classics and he left England literally just a year before Shakespeare published the play

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

I'm only half-remembering the book, but in James Clavell's Japan someone of Toranaga's position and stature almost certainly would have been carrying masterpiece heirloom swords. "This legendary swordsmith only made three swords, and I have one" sort of thing. Also in the book, Toranaga was actually angry about losing them to the point that Blackthorne, despite his limited Japanese, clearly understood that Toranaga was expressing "goddamnit I've lost my swords gently caress"

Edit: Found it

I've been trying to work out a joke based on Blackthorne's lovely Hanzo Steel mall swords and the fact that the actual Hattori Hanzo worked for Tokugawa but it feels like too big of a bridge to cross in a shitpost

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Be funny if the show introduced a version of Jan Joosten (the other white guy who the real Tokugawa made a samurai) and he finally meets back up with Blackthorne and he's had a comparatively dead easy time of it and just astounded by all of Blackthorne's crazy adventures

(I have not read the book so if this is a spoiler, please forgive a big dummy)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe the only thing you can criticize about the costumes is frumpy goblin blackthorne kinda just wears generic stuff so far. I guess even that achieves something as another way of foregrounding the japanese characters

I love it, he finally got one of those V-shoulder garments that all the other ranking samurai have and it's still made out of scratchy dog towel material

Dude could put on Torunaga's finest silks and they would instantly transmute into something more appropriate for a trained bear in a housecoat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

roomtone posted:

fuji's actress is taking a supporting role into a star turn honestly

everywhere i look, it's just people praising her and noticing fuji in scenes where she isn't even the focus

Between this and Godzilla Minus One this has been a great couple of months for "Holy poo poo where has this actor been all this time- oh, right, Japan"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

XYZAB posted:

Jabroni-gai shimasu.

Jabronii-chan

(I'm so, so sorry)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"like the cook-a-ratch!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time someone incredibly wealthy is onscreen and the front of their garment is displaying like five or six different layers of silks I'm like "ooh"

And then there's Blackthorne wearing his poo poo like a bathrobe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuriousGeorge posted:

Blackthorne reaching through the wall to grab a ninja to shoot him through the wall was a badass move. That was a brutal episode, drat near Breaking Bad s4 finale levels of tension. RIP Mariko, you were too hot for the 17th century.

Lessons for gun shooters about cover vs concealment should now until the end of time feature John Blackthorne blasting ninjas on the other side of the wall

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So was there any deeper significance of Mariko's poem about the leafless branch? Seems like the kind of thing that would be Weighted With Import for those well-versed in the culture, more than just "good, but a little bleak"

Also lol autocorrect keeps trying to make me write Mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's a deliberate choice to kinda make you experience things as Blackthorne does.

I figured it's about 30% this and 70% a 1980s American audience's antipathy towards reading subtitles