Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't think I've even heard of the book but just watched the first episode and it's pretty good! Having the white guy protagonist seems pretty necessary for the whole concept so hopefully so yeah let's see how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mariko seems to get over the death of her husband pretty quickly.

Good episode otherwise. Don't really have much to comment as I haven't read the book.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Abundantly justified in the book, for reasons already pretty implied already in the show. Mariko and her husband absolutely loving hate each other and are together basically only because toranaga is withholding permission to divorce as a carrot
Yeah in the show at least I just didn't get much of an impression of him being a huge rear end in a top hat, so either it was really just hinted at, or it's also possible I got distracted and overlooked the moment :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

Such attitudes are hardly a European mindset.

Japan would never do something like that!