Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Panzeh posted:

but in the book he uses Latin when he just wants to talk to Mariko and not be understood and the book indicates the use of Latin with Biblical English.

Them using latin thou as a breathy lovers greeting (tū i believe?) would have been incredibly obvious, even to the lowliest no-armour bondsman with no latin at all. But, it kind of works as stage voice.

No idea what "you" + winkwink is in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Tū means the same thing in Portuguese, so I feel Clavell was having a wheeze here.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that Jarvis' actual accent? It's almost identical to the one employed by Russell Crowe as Cpt Aubrey RN.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Because once Toranga is dead the Christian regents will turn on him and he would lose. Ishido makes lots of noise about Toranaga wanting the Shogunate and he must be opposed by the regents (with him leading them), he's more useful alive to Ishido for that reason.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Being Lord of the Kantō is also of immense importance. If I remember correctly, it is the bread basket of Japan.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also the home of one Ash Ketchum, world renowned pokemon trainer

:hai: I never thought of that.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In the scene where Ishido tells Yabu about his rise under the Taiko, he [Ishido] states that every lord in the country sent their finest stones, and his was chosen as the corner piece. I took that to mean Ishido was from a samurai family - especially since the character in the novel is based on Ishida Mitsunari who was not a peasant. Maybe the show will clear it up in the coming episodes.

It's a minor background detail, they may not expand on it.

Book chat, I don't think it's a spoiler, but..

I hope the show will explain the recent history of Mariko's family and why she became a Christian, and why she wishes to join them. I was surprised her husband was so slight, I though he was supposed to be built like bear.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sorry for the :ninja: edit.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Japan has always been a resource poor land. Very rich in people, non arrable mountainous land, large angry reptiles and earthquakes though.

There is a passage in the book where a character explains how many people live in Japan at the time to Blackthorn, leaving him stunned. 20m I think was the figure? England at that time was perhaps 4 or 5m, though having been ravaged by plague and famine for several centuries. It's a reply to his dislike of how tightly structured Japanese society is and why. Maybe it is Mariko who says this and we just haven't got to it yet? It felt like a important step on his path to going native.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He looks a bit like that Jesus painting the cleaner touched up.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think Toranaga was demonstrating to his people that he, Lord of the Kantō, had things he could learn from the smelly barbarian. So, asking them to learn from him and be subservient to him would be less like a humiliation. Also, he's Hatamoto now, Toranaga's personal samurai, who has unfettered access to the boss. No funny business from you, Yabu-sama.

The book scene has everybody skinny dipping.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

So in the first episode, did the baby have to commit sudoku too?

It's puzzling, why force a child to do such a thing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Shocking.

Can you give us a critique of The Mikado and what it gets wrong?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who knows, it may well have been a mighty ancient warrior of great renoun had mpb* and youngsters copied them. Or a "gently caress you dad" type of cool kids style change that turned out to have great utility. The army that invaded Korea ended up with lots of hair and beards, and the highly manicured style of the following generation was a repudiation of them.

*or shaved it because he got sick of his head hairs being pulled during battle.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

withak posted:

Readers were dumber 50 years ago and had to be spoon-fed this stuff.

They didn't have the benefit of 60+ years of Japanese cultural media and the internet. Shogun was wildly popular in its day, because it was the first experience of Japan (outside of the recent war) that most of its readers had access to.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the comparison of Toranaga and his son was the main focus. The father thrown to the wolves as a child, and the son has been coddled. Advice is only good if you can experience why. Nagakato never had a chance. Toranaga wants an end for the necessity, but it will come too late for the boy.

Watching the opening scene, I thought: no way can boy personally deliver a clean blow. A petty revenge by the general, but a lesson Toranaga would never forget.

The costumes continue to be spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Such attitudes are hardly a European mindset.