Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This book loving rules and it's been a while since I've been this pumped for a new show. Can't wait.

roomtone posted:

it looks like it's going to be in a mix of english and japanese which is probably going to cheapen it a lot but

on the other hand the trailer was pretty good so i'm in for the first episode at the least

I'm guessing that they will keep all of the Japanese from the novel and condense all of the European languages into All English All The Time. IIRC Blackthorne, despite being an Englishman, speaks very little actual English throughout the book - it's a lot of Dutch to his crew and Portuguese with the Jesuits he encounters. Mariko is also fluent in Portuguese(?) as part of her conversion to Catholicism.
E: mild broad spoilers I guess.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Only had time for the first ep last night but it was real good. Loving all of the details that came rushing back to me (last read the book in...2018?), I'm normally in favor of weekly release schedules but this is gonna be a toughie.

Yabu looks exactly like I envisioned him in my head. Maybe a tiny bit less facial hair but the vibe is spot-on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Second episode also very good and I finally remembered who "Guyliner from LOST" was referring to lol. The zen garden scene was a standout as others have said. Wife wasn't fully on board with the first episode but I think the second one also cleared up some of her confusion as well, she's not an early modern period history dork like me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hang on a sec - I'm pretty sure that in this part of the book, Blackthrone goes back to save Buntaro when he's about to kill himself having been left behind. Am I remembering that correctly?

Oh yeah I remember the piss scene! Couldn't remember who the other participant was though, I knew Yabu was one of them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think this is just someone's mis-memory of the book pinging around because he doesn't die then in the book, and IIRC he might even survive to the end

Yeah I'm pretty sure that he lives through the end of the book, or at least he lives a good ways into it given a certain other plot thread that y'all can probably see coming.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Great ep, I especially liked the scene of Fuji and Blackthorne exchanging gifts :unsmith:

Help me remember a detail from the book - does Blackthorne ever, ahem, pillow with a Japanese woman beside Mariko? Couldn't tell if that was supposed to be her sneaking into his room towards the end there. I would have guessed that would happen in the next episode or two based on when I remember it happening in the book.

Have decided that he's either doing Kelsey Grammar doing a bad English accent, or an Englishman doing a bad Kelsey Grammar impression. It's growing on me either way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Funniest part of this episode (and really, the entire show) for me is that I have absolutely no recollection of Toranaga's son from the book. I can't even remember his name having finished the episode ten minutes ago! And now I won't have to lol

I remember broad strokes from the book but not so much of the specifics, I'm guess I'm going in semi-blind from here on out. I remember the Jesuits having a slightly more pronounced role, maybe coming up in the next episode?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The tea ceremony scene was a "we did our homework" flex.

Yeah that was straight out of the book and is just as tense there. In the book it's spelled out as the moment that Buntaro finally understands that Mariko and Blackthorne have been sleeping together (which tbf is implied by the book to have happened a lot more).

Great ep.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Couldn't remember the exact sequencing on Mariko's seppuku threat from the book but that was a real fun and real tense half of an episode until I unlocked that memory. Whole episode was great though, looking forward to the finale but sad that it's all coming to an end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Great final ep, I love the decision to turn Toranaga's ending monologue from the book into a conversation with Yabu.

X-O posted:

I was actually happy we didn't get a battle. I'm not a book reader so I don't know how it's done in the book but I was In fact kind of dreading most of this episode would be a battle and would short shrift the characters in the process. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's honestly just two or three sentences at the end of the book giving a brief summary of the battle happened on this date, in this spot, in this weather, and Toranaga won and claimed 40,000 heads in the process.

They also omitted the very last paragraph of the book, in which Ishido is captured alive, taken back to Osaka, and very publicly buried alive from the neck down under Toranaga's orders. A bamboo saw is left next to him and passerby are free to saw at his neck for fun. He dies three days later :stare:

Miss Mowcher posted:

A question that maybe book readers would know more, but why would Toronaga keep burning Anjin ship to prevent him from leaving? I know he was using him to confuse his enemies, but why not let the man leave or whatever after achieving his victory?

As others have said, Blackthorne is more useful to Toranaga in Japan than outside of Japan. Most importantly, Toranaga says (quoting the book) "I need one friend" and he doesn't want to make friends with the other Japanese or the Portuguese.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

also I read Alvaro as a little bit in love with Mariko. But I'm not totally sold on that interpretation

As others have said Alvito is there to spread the faith rather than make money, and he sees Mariko as an important part of those plans. It was never going to make it into the show but I like the passage the book where another priest tips Alvito off that Blackthorne and Mariko are in love. He laments that his plans to make Mariko the first native abbess and to get a local more involved in church operations are potentially falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

rating wise its up there with blue eye samurai, but it's a mostly slow burn character drama amidst big political thriller as a japanese period piece. very good bursts of action but its not an action show. more game of thrones than either thing you said

Game of Thrones is the obvious comparison for this show and not totally off-base, but Shogun is definitely less violent or horny than GoT was. The intense dialogue remains though, and is as good as anything GoT did IMO.