Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ded posted:

if the end of episode 4 doesn't win you over i dont know what to say

I mean it does, but I'm still crossing my arms and side-eyeing it and expecting to go UGH multiple times an episode. I can't deny the production though.

And it's making me want to try natto.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I really hope that this show isn't dumb enough to have the anjin's consort and the translator's husband bang, because it hinted at the possibility of that in a way that these forced dramas tend to like to do.

It's a shame that Anna Sawai had this sort of role almost immediately after Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. It's almost like trying to take David Schwimmer seriously as a captain of easy company, or having Rowan Atkinson star in a mid-century french detective drama.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dikkfor posted:

Isn't he her uncle?

I think you're right, I forgot about that part. Or maybe it doesn't matter? :shepface:

And yes Anna Sawai is doing great, I just can't help but see her as that super american role she played in Monarch, and she is playing a role that is very much not that here.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 19, 2024

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This week's episode was fantastic. The show definitely helps having some room to breathe and working with the plotlines already in motion, nothing too overly dramatic or over-indulgent. It was a nice episode to settle in with things a bit before things presumably pop off again next episode.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty disappointing episode overall. Back to the overdramatized drivel between shenanigans with Buntaro and Mariko, the stupid katana sparring, and training the camera on ~A Stick of Time~ so much. At least we got some focus on some ancillary characters, like a bit of time with Fuji getting ready to fight, but mostly Nagakado trying to get ready to fight, only to go out like a punk.

Feel like last episode is going to be the only good one front to back at this pace.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That's 1 more than Shogun so far. We'll see how the last 2 shape up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty good finale to a pretty good series overall. The finale and ladies of the willow world were probably the best two episodes.