Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Toranaga kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

The book is 'Shogun' by James Clavell. He has some other books, but that is the one that Shogun the TV show is based on.

I've read the novel, I dunno, 6 or 8 times, and so far the series is very close to the book. Moreso than any recent adaptation of anything I can think of.

And it's just this one series, so it'll presumably end at the same place the book does. They are zipping through - this last episode ended at around page 434 in my copy out of the total 1152 pages.

I suppose your decision on reading the book is going to depend on how fast of a reader you are (it's a pretty long book), and if you'd rather finish the show or book first.

Bread Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The official podcast mentions that they changed other names, because Clavell didn't run this poo poo by a feudal Japan expert (they were more polite in how they said that). So Fujiko became Fuji, Kasigi Yabu became Kashigi Yabushige, and the village name was changed from Anjiro to Ajiro.

I'd been wondering about those name changes... thought I was losing my mind at first, then thought, 'oh they're changing her name to Fuji to be like the mountain or some bullshit'. That's amazing that they're actually, I dunno, fixing things.