Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

ShowTime posted:

I'll read the book after this show, for maybe the first time ever. Every thing about this show is killing it, so I'll do the book thing after.

I want to do the same, but the only copies I can find are split into two parts and have supposedly edited out some of the more weird/controversial stuff.

My library has an original copy ebook, but there is like 45 people in line for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Semisomnum posted:

Anna's library. It's got a pretty huge archive

Thank you, this is awesome

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The problem is (spoilers on future events from the book)
I think it's needed to set up the attempted seppuku scene by blackthorn and I think it's a bit too good a moment to axe entirely.

I read that part yesterday and it happens a lot earlier in the book, before the training. Maybe they will add it later though.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I believe in the book, as in real life, she went into hiding until the akechi rebellion was kind of old news and she could be rehabilitated. The real life version of buntaro was actually arguably kind of a rad dude by sengoku standards, it is a bit harder to understand why book version went for that other than some misdirected psycho-ness of wanting to punish her with life.

In real life she converted to catholicism after that point, but I think the book is less clear about the timing. So maybe she could have also been kept around for basically the same reason she is kept around in the story's present time- she is intensely useful for understanding and dealing with foreigners

I just read this part in the book. Mariko gets sent up to the north island in the cold for 8 years by Buntaro. Then the Taiko tells him take her back but won't let her kill herself.

Then she became Catholic when Buntaro was in Korea, and he cuts off the ears and hair of her maids, and the nose of her foster mother.

He won't divorce her and she won't divorce him because of the shame she feels. Every year on the anniversary of her family's deaths she asks to kill herself but he says no.

Mariko won't pillow with him anymore, which led to the beating when he was drunk.

Sierra Nevadan fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 22, 2024

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Yes, it's an honor/respect thing

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Edit: akin to getting buried in an avalanche, saved, and everyone is frantically trying to find your phone.

Losing your swords back then could be like losing your grandma's antique wedding ring, except some blood was probably spilled over it.

Sierra Nevadan fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 22, 2024

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Definite anime villain vibes. Also wondering if they'll eventually reveal the real reason Ochiba hates Toranaga, which I'm not sure even made sense in the book. If Toranaga DID see her he would have surely played that card long before now, although given his reputation I could see her being terrified that him not playing that card just means that he's holding onto it for some reason she can't ascertain.

I'm only 65% through the book, but Ochiba also had a son before the current heir. He got sick and died as a baby during a battle/campaign that Toranaga was leading and Ochiba blamed him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Almost in the final stretch of the book, and the show feels behind but also ahead?

The timeline and some characters are way off, but it is still enjoyable.