Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Good God, the boiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Okay anyone on the fence about watching this, start it immediately.

It’s great TV.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can’t wait to see what they do with the ninja attack.

When Clavell wrote the book, and when the tv series aired, we were in the “ninja wore black bodysuits and masks and threw metal stars at people” era. I wonder if they’ll change some of that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kiimo posted:

Yeah but in 1980 ninjas weren't stereotypical. Like, ninja lore exploded later. I remember watching Pray for Death and being floored

The 80s USA ninja craze started later in the decade, but ninja were already stereotypical in Japan at the time, due to all those great 60s Japanese ninja films none of us could see back then.

I’m sure this is where Clavell got his inspiration for that part of the book.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah! There’s a huge amount of love and care that went into getting things period-accurate here.

I do not pretend to be an expert in pre-Edo and early Edo period history.

I am though on a discord that’s chock full of people who teach Japanese history and language. The people there tend to really rip a lot of modern shows set during the period. They despise the samurai documentary that’s on Netflix, for example. But so far, they’ve been blown away by the first two episodes. Which is awesome.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kiimo posted:

Interesting

but let's be honest it's kind of funny seeing James Clavell type out

NNNNNNIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNJJJJJJJAAAAAAA!

lol I love it

I don’t mean to continue the :ninja: derail here, but I’ve seen you post in a lot of cineD threads, because I’m all over them too. And I know you’re somewhat of a cinephile, like me.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, I’d say essential Japanese ‘60s ninja movies are:

1) Castle of Owls (1963)
There is also a 1999 color remake of this one

2) Seventeen Ninja (1963)

3) The Third Ninja (1964)

There are others, including the Shinobi no Mono series, but I love the three I listed.

They are all black and white, and there are a lot of cinematography choices in these films that are very striking.

The themes always include how much being a ninja really sucks. You’re born into a clan and you’re an agent for that clan, and eventually you’re probably going to get killed.

The second film on the list is about a guy in charge of the Iga ninja clan who’s down to seventeen operatives, and they’ve just gotten a mission to steal a signed pact from a well-guarded castle. Twist is, a former Koga ninja is now on the payroll of the dude who owns the castle, and he’s made it ninja-proof.

The old dude (who is indeed too old for this poo poo) has to figure out how to use his remaining 17 operatives to get in there, and he’s got to straight-up sacrifice several of them. These kinds of themes are common in these films.

Lots of grey characters, and cinematography that are very much influenced by film noir.

In these particular films, the ninja don’t have Kuju-Kiri magic, or superpowers.

There are occasional moments I recall where they do some pretty high tumbling leaps, but there’s no magic.

They flip out and kill people, and throw metal stars at people. They also use a lot of the classic ninja gear, like ropes and claw-gloves to scale castle walls, all kinds of poo poo.

These three films are very cool watches, if you can find any of them.

tl:dr— early 60s Japanese ninja films rock!

e: I also meant to say that when the ninja craze in the USA really kicked off, a lot of it was due to the scene in the book and 1980 miniseries and also the Eric Van Lustbader novel.

Then, Cannon films started making the movies kiimo mentioned above, which were kind of corny and over the top.

None of us 80s kids had access at the time to these early 60s Japanese films, you simply couldn’t find copies of it on VHS.

Back then, you could perhaps find Seven Samurai on VHS at some video stores, but there were zero copies in the west of things like Ran and Throne of Blood. Or the series my avatar is from.

That all started to change in the 90s.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 29, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, it’s a good ~200 years of near-total isolationism, after the events of this show.

Japan still traded with the Chinese and Dutch, but it was very strictly controlled, and foreigners were basically completely banned from setting foot on Japanese soil (except for a couple of places meant for Dutch sailors to stay while their cargo is being unloaded or loaded, and they weren’t allowed to leave these compounds.)

So in part because of some of the events dramatized during this story, for about 200 years afterwards, if you were a regular Japanese citizen, you had almost zero chance of ever seeing a foreigner.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I believe by the 1640s all the laws the Tokugawas wanted were in place.

The anti-foreigner stuff.

The ban on training serf armies (which everyone had used for a few? hundred years).

Confiscation of (many) swords.

Requiring that all the daimyo in outlying areas made a pilgrimage to Edo annually or so, where they had to spend several months, at great expense. Keep your possible enemies close, and financially strained!

Often requiring that daimyo have an immediate family member live all the time in Edo, like Theon Greyjoy.

So there ends up being ~250 years of no wars.

But there’s former samurai who have no job anymore because the Tokugawas only allowed each daimyo to have ~50-man personal guard/army or whatever, so most lose their jobs.

Some become bandits. Some wander around doing odd jobs. Some are ronin, and it’s during this long period that most of the films many people will think of when they hear “Samurai.”

The Kurosawa Man With No Name movies, my avatar, Zatoichi, etc.

Anyway if anyone who really knows Japanese history sees me passing bad info here, please correct me.

I love the Period of Warring States, through the Edo period era stuff, but I’m no historian. Just a buff.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Very very real!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah he’s got total dad bod but he’s an absolute wrecking crew, and it is awesome.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is lone wolf and cub the proto taken? just a regular CIA Agent / Shogun's Top Decapitator dad going mental because someone threatened his kids

In the first film Itto Ogami’s wife is murdered. This is done by his arch-nemesis, the Yagyu clan, who also place a funeral tablet on a shrine in his house, a tablet with the emblem of the Shogun. This implies that he wished/prayed for the death of the Shogun.

It’s all bullshit, he’s been set up, but he’s told he must commit seppuku. He decides hell nah, kills everyone confronting him, and then offers his son a choice: sword or ball.

If his son Daigoro chooses the sword, then he will walk the earth with his father, who’s going to be an assassin for hire. If he chooses the ball, then he’s chosen death.

It’s obvious which choice the child makes, and all their adventures begin here, as they travel up and down Japan taking assassination contracts, while the Yagyu clan try to hunt them both down.

Someone here said the films were all on Max. If you have that, they’re worth a watch!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, I've had just a couple of drops of full temperature boiling water splashed on my hand a couple of times when cooking stuff and it was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. There's also all sorts of health and safety warnings posted around basically every hot tub in every swimming pool ever about not to stay in for longer than like 10 minutes because you could also just straight up die of heat stroke or over heating from regular old very hot, not at all boiling water.

Also from what's presented on the show, the water wasn't boiling when the dude was tossed in it because they JUST lit the fire under the cauldron right before he was thrown in. So it took a long rear end while to even get up to boiling temperature, let along for the dude to start feeling any real pain from the heat. So he got frog boiled to death basically.

Yama needed it for his VIBE

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It sure was. I dropped mine on my foot when I was about eleven. It landed spine-first and I thought it had broken a toe for a minute.

I also seem to remember its pages were, like the really thin kind of paper? I guess because it was nearly 1200 pages and they had no choice but to use thinner paper to keep costs down or something?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

they explode because they forgot about the grenade.

Please tell me this is real

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chonmage

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

But Mariko did tell Blackthorn what anjin meant; we saw it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

stev posted:

Once the show is done I'd like to go back and start over now that I know who all these people are and what their deal is.

I do understand. I went back and rewatched eps 1-6 last week, and it helped me a lot. Show is extremely dense.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kiimo posted:

Sake is dangerous, sorry about the drunk posting last night lol

Let us go forth into oblivion together as sake-posters

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“gozaimas” is something they append to the end of many sentences, as a form of politeness, I guess?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I won’t be able to watch until maybe tomorrow.

How was the ninja attack?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

He was counting out a pre-arranged segment of time before proceeding with the attack, seemed like.

Ha! That’s straight out of the book, too. Yeah, he was counting down time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

kiimo posted:

they should have all been dressed like this

Actual subtitle from one of the flicks I mentioned way upthread:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The historical ones were most certainly good at blending in with the locals in various provinces, by picking up on slight differences in dialect/slang, the way people wear their hair in this province, etc.

I believe they also joined opposing armies.

Both to gather intel and (I believe in one or two instances) start fires inside the opponent’s castle/lines. Like at night, to cause chaos just prior to a general attack.

e: I wanted to say also good at disguising themselves as a traveling priest or similar. A sight commonly seen on the roads.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 20, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, it’s true.

Hid in the poo poo for quite a while too, I recall.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was Mariko’s scene with the naginata in the 1980 show?

I can’t remember it at all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I loved Jarvis. And all the other shittists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think someone mentioned upthread that Clavell didn’t run his manuscript by anyone familiar with stuff.

So for example the name “Yabu” wouldn’t have been a name at that time, the poster said. Hence why, for this new version, they changed it to “Yabushige”